Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Baronjutter posted:

I don't understand why they don't just mount the sort of weapons they give gundams to kill each other on something much smaller and cheaper like a tank. But I guess that doesn't make good anime.

The in setting explanation is that mobile suits were originally created for use in space and being human shaped is supposed to help the pilot more intuitively understand how to shift the mass around for maneuvering in zero g.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I actually really like those little gundam UC tanks, can you get them on their own? They're 1:144 which is sort of close to my 1:160 but they're not real tanks so being over-sized will just make them look more future.

Also far as I know, that Zaku+tank set is the only way to get them in 1/144. Though they (and a lot of the misc support vehicles) come in 1/35 scale too.

Zeon's Magellas got standalone kits though.
Same with the Loto, which is an adorably small robot-tank.

wtfbacon
Mar 26, 2015
I posted this over at /r/modelmakers too, but thought you guys might enjoy it. I started my graduate classes last week and decided to celebrate the start of one extremely ambitious project (school) by kicking off a second ridiculously ambitious project in parallel. This:

There's more detailed info in the imgur album. This is going to be a very very long slow build for me. I'm falling back from 15-25 hrs/week that I could devote to modeling to 30-90 mins/week. The last time I attempted a project of this magnitude, it took me ~3 months to complete. Interpolating some numbers there, this build could take me north of 5 years to complete. :ohdear: I doubt it will take that long, but I expect it to last most of the duration of my graduate courses. :sigh:

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Awesome. I love it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

vkeios posted:

Also far as I know, that Zaku+tank set is the only way to get them in 1/144. Though they (and a lot of the misc support vehicles) come in 1/35 scale too.

Zeon's Magellas got standalone kits though.
Same with the Loto, which is an adorably small robot-tank.

The Loto is a great little kit, and so small you actually get a pair of them.

It is extremely tiny, however. That's an HG kit beside one for scale. (It's a Jesta Cannon, for the curious.) The balance on it isn't great, but it does actually transform from tank to robot as well as any Transformer.

Also, if you want an actual walking tank from a Gundam series, I recommend the Tieren.

It is literally a Russian walking tank.

It's kinda lacking a proper tanky cannon though, so I gave mine a bazooka :v:.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

wateyad posted:

The in setting explanation is that mobile suits were originally created for use in space and being human shaped is supposed to help the pilot more intuitively understand how to shift the mass around for maneuvering in zero g.

the actual explanation is that it was originally going to be power armor like starship troopers but the sponsors said no. so it all comes back to toys

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Colonial Air Force posted:

Same question I always had with Battletech, as much I love it. Why develop these amazing weapon systems and then put them on the most vulnerable platform around, one that can be knocked out by taking off a leg?

Yeah, the mechs are very much like superheroes: designed to be awesome and fun, not practical

I'm skipping out this time on the group build, but I'd like to think I'm with you in spirit. Just because I've had my eye on it for a long time, I bought a Dragon Orange box of a Kirov class battlecrusier, which also comes with a Los Angeles class submarine. It also comes with several adorably tiny 1/700 scale aircraft, so it feels like a full Russian battlecrusier action playset.

Also the admiral nakhimov has like 8 Kashtan point defense emplacements which sorta look like the upper body of an assault mech. This makes sense, as the Phalanx point defense system kinda looks and acts like something George Lucas made up

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

wtfbacon posted:

I posted this over at /r/modelmakers too, but thought you guys might enjoy it. I started my graduate classes last week and decided to celebrate the start of one extremely ambitious project (school) by kicking off a second ridiculously ambitious project in parallel. This:

There's more detailed info in the imgur album. This is going to be a very very long slow build for me. I'm falling back from 15-25 hrs/week that I could devote to modeling to 30-90 mins/week. The last time I attempted a project of this magnitude, it took me ~3 months to complete. Interpolating some numbers there, this build could take me north of 5 years to complete. :ohdear: I doubt it will take that long, but I expect it to last most of the duration of my graduate courses. :sigh:

That is a lot of photo etch. Goon speed sir.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I can only assume that one of those photo etch sheets contains sick rims.

Looks sweet though. I considered doing something like that for that T-34-85 I have lying around, but I'll probably end up covering it in tank riders anyway.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

There has to be someone mad enough to have made a gold plated Stug III somewhere...

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
If I don't get a new guitar amp as a Christmas present, I'm tempted to pick up a kit like that with ridiculous details and extra parts. It looks awesome.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Just as a heads up, there is a very good PE soldering how-to by Paul Howard featured on Armorama.com.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I only just saw this thread recently.

I haven't worked on any of my models for 2 or so years.

I really should finish up my Comet and E-25...

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Molentik posted:

There has to be someone mad enough to have made a gold plated Stug III somewhere...

Either Russia, or the UAE.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I have recently gotten back into scale modeling after spending too much time and money on 40k.

I am currently building a 1/72 Tempest MKII which has some photo etched details, and I have to say that they definitely make the cockpit pop.

Anyway, I have my next project on its way to me. It is a Fujimi 1/72 A-6E Intruder. I have read that it is a good kit but the cockpit is a bit simple. Does anyone know if there has been a photo etched detail kit for it made?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

jadebullet posted:

Anyway, I have my next project on its way to me. It is a Fujimi 1/72 A-6E Intruder. I have read that it is a good kit but the cockpit is a bit simple. Does anyone know if there has been a photo etched detail kit for it made?

Scalemates is your friend for stuff like this; try

edit: that link's broken... go to https://www.scalemates.com/ and put 'intruder' in the search box

It looks to me like maybe, but not specifically for the Fujimi?

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”

Unkempt posted:

Scalemates is your friend for stuff like this; try

edit: that link's broken... go to https://www.scalemates.com/ and put 'intruder' in the search box

It looks to me like maybe, but not specifically for the Fujimi?

That site is a deep deep rabbit hole

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I found one for the Hasegawa kit. Is there much of an issue in regard to using third party detail kits on a different manufacturers model?

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I only just saw this thread recently.

I haven't worked on any of my models for 2 or so years.

I really should finish up my Comet and E-25...

jadebullet posted:

So I have recently gotten back into scale modeling after spending too much time and money on 40k.

I am currently building a 1/72 Tempest MKII which has some photo etched details, and I have to say that they definitely make the cockpit pop.

Welcome to the thread! please feel free to post as many questions, progress pictures and finished models as you wish!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

jadebullet posted:

I found one for the Hasegawa kit. Is there much of an issue in regard to using third party detail kits on a different manufacturers model?

Honestly, your mileage may vary on that one. In theory, there should be minimal problems, since it is the same scale. In practice...

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Modelzona 2015 was Saturday the 7th (where I got the cool plaque for my ship). I have pictures!

I'll try to pick the best of the best and post them spread out, rather than dumping all of them at once (I took quite a few).

I took almost no pictures of cars, airplanes and tanks this year, I was just busy and didn't get around to it, so I only have a few that might have really caught my eye as I was walking past.

Dioramas.

"The Hour of the Gun" - Tombstone.

King Nine Will Not Return - The Twilight Zone

An airplane (in a diorama)!

Looks cold.

Seems like a strange place to fight.

Where did I drop that stupid bolt, dammit.

This one won "Best Diorama" I believe.

Scratch built castle? At least I don't think they make models of this.

Ambush! Poor dude on the left just got plugged in the heart.

Just chillin' with my aeroplane.

First place in AFV Dioramas.

Well crap.

Crowded bridge.

First place in Dioramas - Figures and Vignettes.

More to come.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Locator posted:

Just chillin' with my aeroplane.

I love seeing this stuff. My dad was serving during the filming of this and has all kinds of cool stories about it. Apparently George Peppard was a great guy who used to give the local grunts a lift down to the pub in his limo.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

There's actually pretty impressive paper models of Neuschwanstein castle.

Some pictures if you scroll down here:
http://www.der-lustige-modellbauer.com/t568p60-neuschwanstein-41-schreiber-und-andere

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Greyhawk posted:

There's actually pretty impressive paper models of Neuschwanstein castle.

Some pictures if you scroll down here:
http://www.der-lustige-modellbauer.com/t568p60-neuschwanstein-41-schreiber-und-andere

The guy that built this brought it to a few IPMS meetings while it was in progress. It was all plastic and plaster that I could see while it was underway.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

The Locator posted:

The guy that built this brought it to a few IPMS meetings while it was in progress. It was all plastic and plaster that I could see while it was underway.

Wow. That's drat awesome work then.

Myself, I've now got the full metal steam trains frame extended to its full length of 50 cm (without tender)

It's now 20% done and consists of 110 parts and 214 fasteners (screws, nuts, bushes, bolts, etc).

Next it's going to get motion bars, the suspension and it'll get up on its first set of wheels.

Also nearly done with the engine for the 2CV Charleston.

Greyhawk fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Nov 13, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Looking good Greyhawk, before you know it you'll have something resembling a locomotive!

More Modelzona pictures.

This was the winner of "Peoples Choice", and first place in miscellaneous dioramas, but it was very difficult to photograph, as it was an internally lit shadowbox display. It is a 1/72 scale U-boat model that is chopped off just aft of the conning tower, and displayed being serviced in an underground U-boat pen. The detail was amazing, down to a tiny randomly flashing LED at the tip of a welders torch.

The Ships that I was competing with in the Surface Ship category.

The amazing 1/700 scale carrier with crewmen. This took 2nd place.

Third place went to this 1/700 Admiral Hipper class cruiser.

Plastic Revell model Nina with rigging and blocks from a wooden ship model company.

This small (1/700 I think) Warspite was this guys first model he said. Great start!

Missouri, 1/350 scale Tamiya - "Out of the Box" qualified (no PE or aftermarket parts or bashing).

These next 4 ships are all made by the same guy that made the castle up above. He is a professional model-maker who has his own business and makes his living making models.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Nov 14, 2015

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I think that's an Admiral Hipper class heavy cruiser, not Tirpitz or Bismarck. Could be Prinz Eugen, which sailed with Bismarck on her last sortie.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Nov 14, 2015

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I love that dragon skeleton model. I really should finish mine someday...

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
Seeing stuff like that always makes me think I still have a long ways to go, and I should really start learning how to build small dioramas for the models I complete.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Fearless posted:

I think that's an Admiral Hipper class heavy cruiser, not Tirpitz or Bismarck. Could be Prinz Eugen, which sailed with Bismarck on her last sortie.

Good catch, thanks! Updated the post.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Smoke posted:

Seeing stuff like that always makes me think I still have a long ways to go, and I should really start learning how to build small dioramas for the models I complete.

This is what I eventually want to get to. School is out in about a week, and when I'm home for the holidays, I'm going to finish my gunpla, and start working on my F-15.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Here are some new (very crappy fuzzy cellphone) photos of the little Puppy.

Headless panzerman shown for scale

Radiator vent is behind the brass screen. On the side of the aisle is an air intake grate.

sdkfz 251 bench for two persons, other side has three seats. The tube in the aisle is where the powercables for the radio are.

Front armored plates still need to be fitted

I did weldbeads on all the corners etc with a pyrograph, but unfortunately they dont show up well on the photos.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012
I've got some Iron Man models I want to put together but I'm trying to think about what paints to use on the armor so that it looks metallic. Would normal acrylics with a gloss coat be fine or are there other paints I should look into? I'd like to stick to acrylics that can be airbrushed because I'm in a small apartment and I airbrush into a flimsy makeshift fume hood, but I'm willing to consider other options.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Casyl posted:

I've got some Iron Man models I want to put together but I'm trying to think about what paints to use on the armor so that it looks metallic. Would normal acrylics with a gloss coat be fine or are there other paints I should look into? I'd like to stick to acrylics that can be airbrushed because I'm in a small apartment and I airbrush into a flimsy makeshift fume hood, but I'm willing to consider other options.

Vallejo Air Steel (71.065) is a very smooth metallic acrylic that's awesome for mixing for colored metal effects.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Just curious, what is your guys opinion on the Fine Scale Modeler magazine. Is it worth picking up a subscription? (noone around me carries it, so a sub is my only option)

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

jadebullet posted:

Just curious, what is your guys opinion on the Fine Scale Modeler magazine. Is it worth picking up a subscription? (noone around me carries it, so a sub is my only option)

It's just okay, in my opinion. A little generalist, heavy on text, light on photos. A lot of issues can be dedicated to singular subjects too, so if you're an armour guy, you might get a few issues a year devoted to planes or ships. Maybe just order an issue or two, just to see if it's something you'd like.

If I could only get one mag, I'd probably get Meng's AFV Modeller and AIR Modeller for armour and air. AK Interactive also puts out a bunch of nice mags for armor and air as well.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

jadebullet posted:

I have a subscription, and honestly, it is pretty great. The reader-submitted tips are always worth a read. Another good thing about FSM is that it manages to always keep an eye on basic techniques - I still have a lot to learn, so these are especially handy.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
There's a bunch of old issues in PDF at http://pzbook.ctfile.com/u/1883935/3926128

(Is this files? You can't still get the old ones can you?)

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
I decided to do the Ghostkeel in a grey scheme with selected plates in an digi urban cammo scheme as that's something I've never done before.

I can't mask all the plates off and spray them at the same time as it's akward so I did the first two last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
Dooooooope.

EDIT: I thought this was the Warhams thread, sorry if the shitposting is less encouraged here. Still, the Ghostkeel is looking dope as hell.