Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

NESguerilla posted:

So a settlement is pretty much limited to the rescorces you can find on site or drag in on your person right? At least at first? I hear there is some way to set up a supply line that I don't understand.

I feel like they created an uneccesary headache by not just having one big pool of resources/ a lock box I can put my weapons in at shows up at every settlement.

You need the Local Leader perk at rank 1 (needs 6 Charisma) to set up supply lines. You set up supply lines by walking up to a settler in workshop mode and pressing whatever button at the bottom says "supply line" (RB on a 360 controller on PC, for example), then tell them what other settlement to set up the supply line to. Then they'll share resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So I drafted a list of interesting mods available for the moment! Most of these are mine, but I'll note where they are not. Also let me know if I'm being annoying and I'll shut up until I release a new mod, or a modding thread is created. That being said, endorse after you download please so I can get that sweet sweet e-cred (kidding. Mostly).

Customize Carry Weight: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/214/
If you are annoyed by carry weight in the game and inventory management, this comes with a number of options to set your carry weight higher (or lower, if you're insane lol). That being said, it's easier to just use the following console command. Press the ~ key (on an english keyboard) and type the following without quotes: "player.modav carryweight 1000" - this will increase your carry weight by a thousand, and of course you can change that number into anything you want. You can also use negative numbers to take that away, so if you wanted to go back to default you would just type "player.modav carryweight -1000"

Create Your Own Survival Damage Rebalance: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/222/
This only applies for survival difficulty, because the settings altered only exist for survival. This comes with a host of different options that let you change how much damage you deal and how much damage you take. The mod page on the nexus should explain the various options and how you use them. I like this a lot because on survival healing is slower and the enemy has better AI and resistances, but without the silly default setting where you deal half damage and take double damage.

Easy Lockpicking: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/227
Seriously gently caress lockpicking. No options to choose from here, or console command alternatives. Just take the .esp and plop it in your data folder, and you can just open every lock so long as you have the perk for it. No matter where your pick is, you can turn it at any time and have it open.

Legendary Enemy Spawning: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/218/
Legendary Enemies are cool and fun and have rad weapons and armour. This mod lets you increase the number of legendary enemies. By default as you change difficulties the amount of legendary enemies goes up - this mod lets you choose the rate at which legendary enemies spawn regardless of difficulty. Optionally, it lets you increase the spawn rate of legendary enemies past what is available by default. I play with 5x the spawn rate of normal difficulty, by default the max rate is 3x normal difficulty while playing on pOWER

Power Armour Drain: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/225/
This mod eliminates the fusion core mechanic - you still need one to activate a suit of power armour, but it doesn't drain at all anymore. Similarly, jetpack use is unlimited as well. If you want to still have the fusion core drain but at a smaller rate, use this mod by RAWberry400 instead: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/325/

No Fall Damage: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/264/
Exactly what it says on the tin. It gets rid of fall damage. Really nothing more to say about this one lol.

Lowered Sprint AP Drain by grasmann: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/208/
Again, exactly what it says on the tin. I found it really annoying that I basically couldn't run anywhere, for fear that my AP bar would be empty when I ran into enemies. This mod lets you customize the rate at which your AP drains while sprinting, and optionally eliminate AP drain while sprinting altogether.

Pipboy Shadows by McGuffin: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/281/
A visual mod! This one makes it so your pipboy light can create shadows. Pretty cool!
Follow this video to start off: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq-VZAumD-o

Easy Hacking: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/266/
This makes it so that there's a maximum of one word while hacking, which makes it so you essentially always succeed.

These are all .esp mods, which means they are plugins. Since there are no good mod managers yet, follow the following two videos to install modifications.

This video to enable mods:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq-VZAumD-o

And then this one for the installation process.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZpIQ6P38xE

Additionally, I have instructions on the main page for all my mods. Just remember to right click Fallout4Prefs.ini and Plugins.txt and set them to read only just in case.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Harrow posted:

Is there a clear, unambiguous point at which the factions become mutually exclusive? I don't have any interest in going for a Brotherhood of Steel thing this playthrough but I want to do some of their quests that are sitting around and I'm pretty sure I have to accept Danse's offer to join in order to do that.

Quoting for a new page.

I kind of want to do some of the Brotherhood of Steel quests but I don't want to be locked out of the Railroad for doing so, especially because the BoS are kinda dicks. Will the game tell me when I have to commit to a faction or am I just going to stumble into it?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Harrow posted:

You need the Local Leader perk at rank 1 (needs 6 Charisma) to set up supply lines. You set up supply lines by walking up to a settler in workshop mode and pressing whatever button at the bottom says "supply line" (RB on a 360 controller on PC, for example), then tell them what other settlement to set up the supply line to. Then they'll share resources.

Thank you.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Has anyone maxed out their affinity with Danse yet, by the way? I did it with Piper and Garvey for their perks, and have been rolling with Danse for a good while in order to get his as well. Unfortunately I've become convinced something must be bugged or maybe I need to progress to a certain point before I can reach the end of his dialogue, because I've probably gotten, no joke, nearly 100 "Danse loved that" messages and I still seem to be stuck at what I assume is the penultimate step. I just want to get this Buzz Lightyear motherfucker out of here already.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Meowbot posted:

just wanted to point out that for better quality of life use Piper drat she is the best companion ... sometimes you are like oh theres a few guys and then youre like wait a second, there isnt anyone alive anymore. I imagine there are better companions down the road but going from dogmeat to piper is a huge increase in effectiveness. The dog was kind of useless I found but would keep people occupied before catching on fire the ranged companion is much more useful. Is there one that is a sniper? Is nick valentine better than pipeR?

Danse is the most powerful companion by far. Best default weapon and he's wearing power armor that never degrades. It also helps that he has the only good follower perk outside of MacReady.

Outside of how they react to your choices / decisions, they are all pretty much the same and interchangeable so just pick whoever you like. I don't think they have any preferences / skilled weapon types. 3 of them get energy weapons as their default weapon, which is a benefit if you can't / won't give them any ammo(I'm not counting Preston because he can't hit poo poo with his turd rear end laser musket). A few of them can't equip armor like Nick Valentine or Danse(not that he needs it since he's already in power armor), or use can never use weapons like Dogmeat or Codsworth or Curie(kinda).

Minorkos posted:

also I'd say that the Glowing Sea alone is better than the entirety of the Witcher series

the gently caress? The glowing sea was the best part of FO4 by far, but it isn't even better than Witcher 1

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Khanstant posted:

Shoot their loving heads off with a .50 cal from 200 yards away.

I wish there was a more powerful sniping weapon than the hunter rifle that used .50 ammo. My combat rifle does more damage than that piece of crap.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I have the fps unlocked and in fullscreen it's usually around 100fps but when I play in windowed it's locked to 30. Is there something else I need to be doing?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Archonex posted:

Or just get loaded on psycho jet and cackle as you literally move faster than the missiles can move.

Seriously, there is no problem in Fallout 4 that can't be solved by dosing yourself with drugs and going on a buffed up bullet time rampage. Hell, given the amount of drugs in the game world you can literally get this horrible killing dependency going where you raid places and spam using it to fuel your kill-maim-burn bullet time fantasy PCP habit.

This makes me want to try a chem build where you get the addiction proofing and the duration doubled. Only problem is some companions really hate drug use...

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The loading screen art implied that Combat Armour would have decent coverage and actually look like armour, instead of being a few pieces stuck here and there.

Is there anything I can wear so I don't look stupid?

General Adventure
Feb 16, 2007
Glitch problem. Surprise surprise, it's a Bethesda game.

In my version on the PS4 I started "The First Step" quest where you clear out the raiders in the Corvega Power Plant. This quest would begin the start of The Minutemen storyline which may be important/useful/fun.

Some raiders are somehow trapped in the drat ceiling in a certain section and it is impossible to finish. I have SCOURED the entire building and practically memorized the layout, no thanks to the garbade interior map. The only way I found the raiders was by going from room to room shooting my gun in order to alert them to my presence. I asked Bethesda for help and their great suggestions included going to a previous save and retrying it (my last save was foolishly when I left the vault. The other one was just loving OFF AROUND THE WASTELAND AND HOPE THAT THE ENEMIES WILL RESPAWN SOMEWHERE SENSIBLE. At this point I wonder if I should just restart my drat game, however, I'm playing a Bethesda game and there's no guarantee that the quest will not mess up through a second play.

Is this quest worth restarting my game (roughly 8-10 hours of play)? Should I just say gently caress it and press onwards? (at this point I kinda prefer the second option) My choice mostly rests on whether there is a key story line that would extend beyond this single quest. I can begrudgingly ignore any cool weapons and armor, but I do want to finish the main cheesy story (my son!)

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

https://twitter.com/basic_chunnel/status/665768284462014464

This game suxx

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Are you on PC? If so, go nuts.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Viperix posted:

Is Luck worth putting points into? Ie for a Crit reliant build? Is Melee/explosives fun/viable? Never got around to it in previous Fallouts.

There seems to be a ton of confusion on crits, probably because the game doesn't explain it very well.

:siren:You can only crit while using VATS. And even then, only if you use your crit. They don't just happen automatically.:siren:

Luck / Perception build does indeed own bones though. The luck tree is ridiculously powerful for VATS stuff. Towards the end you are basically chaining VATS non stop while getting crits and free AP refills.

Harrow posted:

Is there a clear, unambiguous point at which the factions become mutually exclusive? I don't have any interest in going for a Brotherhood of Steel thing this playthrough but I want to do some of their quests that are sitting around and I'm pretty sure I have to accept Danse's offer to join in order to do that.

Yes. It gives you a big warning saying "Doing this will make you enemies with ____ faction."

More hilariously you can be friendly with all the factions and some quests will just involve the NPCs fighting themselves while you watch the fight(and loot the loser). Or you running up to a friendly NPC and killing him to complete another factions quest.

Basically unless you attack a named faction npc or go past the point of no return with a faction, all the factions will love you.

Bethesda :downs:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

The Lone Badger posted:

The loading screen art implied that Combat Armour would have decent coverage and actually look like armour, instead of being a few pieces stuck here and there.

The red sequined dress I'm wearing.

Here's the dumbest question ever: How do I build a bell? I'm building up Abernathy farm and went to place a bell and... I can't find it. I know I've overlooked it even though I've gone through every menu option twice, so I'm just a blind idiot, but please, someone, tell me where the bell is located so I can summon my settlers and assign them to do poo poo.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

the gently caress? The glowing sea was the best part of FO4 by far, but it isn't even better than Witcher 1

No, vast swaths of Witcher 1 were total poo poo, it is by no means a great game. And it was downright miserable before the they went like a million patches into it and practically a drat remake. 2 was their first game that could unironically be recommended to anything other than die hards.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I found the story so boring that I just went and killed Shaun and everybody else I could find at the Institute (somehow, there was a hidden survivor and now the Institute is gunning for me). Can somebody just spoil me the rest of the game now? I'm going to go back to playing The Witcher 3.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Harrow posted:

Also wanting to know this. Is it at the mission entitled Battle at Bunker Hill?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

I believe all armour pieces come in a light and full version, the full leather for example covers a lot more of the body and has higher protection and weight, I assume the same is true of combat. Unfortunately the two are not differentiated, you just have to watch out for high strength heavy armour pieces.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Baron Bifford posted:

I found the story so boring that I just went and killed Shaun and everybody else I could find at the Institute (somehow, there was a hidden survivor and now the Institute is gunning for me). Can somebody just spoil me the rest of the game now? I'm going to go back to playing The Witcher 3.

No that's pretty much it. You get the one ending cutscene(no variation) that says you lost Shaun again but now you are tuff enuff to survive in the wastelands. Then you say War, War never changes and the credits roll. :laugh:

Aligning with any faction just leads to you killing their rivals. No mention of how any other factions or settlements fare due to your action / inaction.

Dorkopotamis posted:

Also wanting to know this. Is it at the mission entitled Battle at Bunker Hill?

The game specifically prompts you by saving continuing forwards in your current quest will mean ____ faction will hate you.

The battle of Benny Hill is close to the end of the line though.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
If I keep my radio turned off, will I still get notified if my settlements get attacked?

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Vargs posted:

Has anyone maxed out their affinity with Danse yet, by the way? I did it with Piper and Garvey for their perks, and have been rolling with Danse for a good while in order to get his as well. Unfortunately I've become convinced something must be bugged or maybe I need to progress to a certain point before I can reach the end of his dialogue, because I've probably gotten, no joke, nearly 100 "Danse loved that" messages and I still seem to be stuck at what I assume is the penultimate step. I just want to get this Buzz Lightyear motherfucker out of here already.

I'm pretty sure his personal quest is storyline related, you'll get there.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Leather, Metal, and Combat armor have different types. Regular->Sturdy->Heavy, with each progression giving the item better stats, higher weight, and more visual poo poo on your character.

Yes, this is confusing and not explained anywhere. Even worse is that the Sturdy and Heavy prefixes disappear if an item has modifications on it, so two items with the exact same name may have vastly different armor values, aesthetics, and weight. I'm sure I've probably left behind higher tier armor pieces that would have been useful due to this, because gently caress if I'm checking the exact stats for every single bit of armor that every single enemy is wearing.

Currently I'm wearing a mix of regular, sturdy, and heavy metal armor which I think looks pretty good. Could go with the full heavy combat set I have but I'm not a huge fan of it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Republicans posted:

I wish there was a more powerful sniping weapon than the hunter rifle that used .50 ammo. My combat rifle does more damage than that piece of crap.

Yeah but I already put 3 points into rifles and I'm assuming I'll get even stronger ones. Anyway, high luck build basically lets me crit the head off of any rear end in a top hat with one.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
Well, I am pretty upset. Quest is bugged and I do not have a save prior to my realizing it.

I'm on The Nuclear Option for Railroad, and when I teleported to the institute I have no quest guide and no one is really around. I'm supposed to kill everyone in relay control but I don't know where that is let alone if I can get there. Fuckkkkk.

e: I had to no clip up the the relay location and shoot a bunch of non-hostile people to trigger the quest. Well done Bethesda

Coolwhoami fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 15, 2015

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I figured out my ammo shortage problem, I made a massive water purification plant in Sanctuary and I was trading the purified water for ammo. For some reason the water stopped showing up in the workshop though, any ideas?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

No that's pretty much it. You get the one ending cutscene(no variation) that says you lost Shaun again but now you are tuff enuff to survive in the wastelands. Then you say War, War never changes and the credits roll. :laugh:
I still don't have a clear picture of what the Institute was planning to do. It infuriates me that I could never grill any of the Institute's members on this matter. Hey Virgil! Tell me what this Institute is about, who its members are, the layout of their facilities, etc. Nothing to say? gently caress you! They just hand me quests. I don't even know if they're particularly evil. I guess if they were indeed replacing regular people with synth doppelgangers, that is good enough reason to wipe 'em out. Please, tell me everything you know about the Institute.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Finished :spergin:'ing on my melee character creation, here are my initial stats

STR - 9
PER - 1
END - 3
CHA - 1
INT - 1
AGI - 9 (bumped from 8 with Shaun's SPECIAL book)
LUC - 5

What should I do to boost my endurance? I wanted to originally have my END be higher than my AGI for roleplaying purposes but went with AGI for practicality/perks instead. I've heard it's generally a waste to spend perk points on stat boosts, but I don't know how else to increase my endurance.

Does power armor help for melee-based characters?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I feel like all your questions would be answered by just playing the game for a couple hours..

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I saw the Brotherhood roll up and shout out for some help with the supermutants.

I'll be right there gu-

Oh well never mind then. Maybe landing your helicopter next to three Suiciders was a bad plan.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Finished :spergin:'ing on my melee character creation, here are my initial stats

STR - 9
PER - 1
END - 3
CHA - 1
INT - 1
AGI - 9 (bumped from 8 with Shaun's SPECIAL book)
LUC - 5

What should I do to boost my endurance? I wanted to originally have my END be higher than my AGI for roleplaying purposes but went with AGI for practicality/perks instead. I've heard it's generally a waste to spend perk points on stat boosts, but I don't know how else to increase my endurance.

Does power armor help for melee-based characters?

Is STR9 really useful? I dunno how much it boosts your melee damage, but if the amount isn't all that significant, you could easily dump a ton of points there since the 5+ strength perks don't seem all that amazing. The STR10 perk might be good, but I know that I personally do not like wearing power armor since it feels like a constant time limit.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

well i p much have The Ultimate Gun now i guess

also holy poo poo i didnt realize that macready was the mungolord mayor from fo3
somehow that's been the most surprising thing in the game so far in regards to any kind of story thing whatsoever

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

i am harry posted:

I feel like all your questions would be answered by just playing the game for a couple hours..

Is that When he re rolls to make a non melee build?

melee loving sucks in this game.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Baron Bifford posted:

I still don't have a clear picture of what the Institute was planning to do. It infuriates me that I could never grill any of the Institute's members on this matter. Hey Virgil! Tell me what this Institute is about, who its members are, the layout of their facilities, etc. Nothing to say? gently caress you! They just hand me quests. I don't even know if they're particularly evil. I guess if they were indeed replacing regular people with synth doppelgangers, that is good enough reason to wipe 'em out. Please, tell me everything you know about the Institute.

I guess their plan was to try and be left alone so they can keep doing science poo poo. I just don't know where their huge boner for synths comes from. It would have taken one line from Father saying that synths are used for more complex calculations and or good at research. Their only real use was to replace people to and eventually keep all the factions(lol) off balance and weakened so they can keep doing science and poo poo in peace. Which would make sense if their compound wasn't underground. And the Brotherhood only showed up because the Institute went to the surface. And the Railroad only exists because of synths. The Minutemen aren't even a factor until you show up. I mean they have been loving with the surface for a while and most people still don't believe they exist.

Pretty sure they could have scienced away forever undetected if they never made synths or interfered with the surface. Someone mentions a massacre a few decades ago where a synth killed all the local leaders that grouped up because they were trying to create some form of government. Surely you can kill people more easily with a bomb especially since you have magic teleportation powers. Or use a robot that isn't sentient. It seems pretty poorly written.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Nov 15, 2015

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

fyi, the minutemen is your faction and doesn't conflict with any other factions at all besides the BoS farm quests (afaik)

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I've been playing with Melee and it's been pretty loving great. One Point of Rooted and Pain Train and you can wreck pretty much anything. Any further talents only enhance how much rear end you can kick.

While it looks a bit useless, Party Girl is actually a pretty strong perk. Doubling benefits of Alcohol means the Dirty Alcohol you can cook gives you 6 Strength and Charisma, with an extra 3 luck thrown in if you max it out. All melee character should be drunk as gently caress at all times.

At least keep some booze around for when you go over weight limit so you can chug it and fast travel home even if you aren't down for hitting people in the face with Sledgehammers. Or for trying to pass charisma tests.

It also makes you a real rear end in a top hat when you're skipping text, which is nice.

Fans fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 15, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I did a bunch of the optional side quests for the brotherhood and minutemen, and now I feel like I'm way overleveled. whoops

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Manatee Cannon posted:

I did a bunch of the optional side quests for the brotherhood and minutemen, and now I feel like I'm way overleveled. whoops

Over-leveled doesn't really mean anything. The enemies level up with you.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
The Snatcher thing, while kind of dumb, is pretty cool IMO because I wear my love of Snatcher on my sleeve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Man this game has the most disparate voice acting in recent memory. Male main character, Piper, Cait, Danse, and the minuteman guy suck like you wouldn't believe, but Nick and Kellog are seriously outstanding

• Locked thread