Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
People can talk about filler all they want, but this was a great chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Metal Bat :allears:

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

People can talk about filler all they want, but this was a great chapter.

Yeah this extra content rules. I can't even call it filler - in ONE's version, there was a timeskip after the Tank Top Master fight with Garou going "I've hunted a bunch of heroes now." before moving on to the next part of the story. I'm really glad we're seeing a lot more of the Hero Hunt, because Garou is really really good and cool. It's also a good chance to flesh out all these other heroes, like Metal Bat, Golden Ball, and Spring Mustache, who are also very good and cool.

It's filler in only the most technical sense and this bonus content is adding in extra plot and more backstory and that is awesome.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Nov 14, 2015

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
On that subject, it's always nice to see that even if the higher rank heroes aren't always the nicest people around, they're all (for the most part) genuinely heroic. It would have been easy to just characterize most of the league as being assholes in it for themselves, but most of them are likable and noble enough that they could star in their own series and still be pretty good.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Metal Bat owns that's all I came here to say

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

TriffTshngo posted:

:yeah:

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

TriffTshngo posted:

All of the really powerful heroes are very cool, which makes the juxtaposition of saitama being incredibly bored and dopey all the better

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, pretty much. The story with Saitama is great, the story with everyone else is also great. And they work even better together.

Axialbloom
Jul 7, 2011

My life is a series of
lapses in judgement.

Deflated Saitama is the most bored Saitama.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm waiting for Murata's "Metal Knight lands to blow up the Meteor 1:1 in full motion" balloon art, personally.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWefSrqDtLE

Further proof that Murata's One Punch Man is drawn so good that it can be a flip-book animation. I'd post it in the anime thread, but it has too much spoilers.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

jwang posted:

Further proof that Murata's One Punch Man is drawn so good that it can be a flip-book animation. I'd post it in the anime thread, but it has too much spoilers.

Good video, but it makes me further mourn the loss of "SCHOOL CHILD." The anime's one flaw.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Decided to break my own rules and watch the anime since I picked up a bit of a cold this weekend, and it's pretty good. I still prefer the manga, but the anime's about as strong an adaptation as I could expect from anyone and I'm glad they've done justice to the fights thus far (though I feel like a couple of the jokes didn't fare so well).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

jwang posted:

Oh god, Common Rider's Last Stand is gonna be painful :ohdear:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

He truly deserves to be called a hero.

It's a shame the anime doesn't look like it'll be covering the sidestories. Maybe they're saving those for the BD OVA extras.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Waffleman_ posted:

I think that moment at the end of the Sea King arc is the number one thing I am most looking forward to of the anime's run, even more than I am looking forward to the Boros fight or the S-Class heroes. The entire Sea King series of fights just does so much to establish how heroic the heroes really are, but Common Rider stands above everyone else. That part's gonna hurt, but it will be such a good hurt.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, if there's anime-only people who are still wondering what exactly the big deal is and why there's so much hype about OPM, the Sea King arc should set things straight.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The Sea King arc is honestly probably my favorite thus far in the manga. It's definitely the series' emotional apex. Most of the time you're not too worried cause you're in on the "Joke" that Saitama can no-sell and defeat anybody, but the Sea King presents this almost tangible threat where you're really relieved we've got someone like Saitama around.

Rider standing up to the Sea King, Saitama playing heel for the sake of his fellow heroes...gonna be a great episode.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Same here. I absolutely love the Sea King arc. My favorite thing about it is the bizarre combination of Genos, Sonic, Pri-Pri-Prisoner, and Rider being the ones to try and take him down while Saitama isn't there.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

T.G. Xarbala posted:

He truly deserves to be called a hero.

It's a shame the anime doesn't look like it'll be covering the sidestories. Maybe they're saving those for the BD OVA extras.

The OVAs seem to all be original stories written by ONE

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
My guess is the eventual second season will have a bunch of those side stories in between the King Arc, Blizzard Arc, and the downtime during the long Garou Arc, and just mix them in whenever there is airtime to fill. Basically all of them can happen at any time.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Nthing about how good Sea King Arc is. Person in the anime thread mentioned how it was amazing how a premise about a guy who's way too strong could hold up so well and Sea King Arc really solidifies how it works. Saitama knows he's way too strong and lacks heroic intensity and passion. He sees the effort his fellow heroes put into going against Sea King and makes sure that the focus is on them instead because they're the ones with the heroic passion that ought to be recognized by the public.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Which is funny because Saitama's brief bursts of legitimate passion are some of the best bits of the series

I really hope they do the police sidestory in some capacity

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

Which is funny because Saitama's brief bursts of legitimate passion are some of the best bits of the series

We'll get one of the better ones in the new episode so that's nice

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Compendium posted:

Nthing about how good Sea King Arc is. Person in the anime thread mentioned how it was amazing how a premise about a guy who's way too strong could hold up so well and Sea King Arc really solidifies how it works. Saitama knows he's way too strong and lacks heroic intensity and passion. He sees the effort his fellow heroes put into going against Sea King and makes sure that the focus is on them instead because they're the ones with the heroic passion that ought to be recognized by the public.
That bit is also great because it's his first big break as a hero with actual spectators to witness his accomplishments. Although he prefers to say he's a hero as a hobby, Saitama's main motivation for joining the Hero Association in the first place was public recognition. Having seen how the tank tops play to the crowd and belittle those beneath them however, he comes to recognize how shallow a goal that is and adopts the mantle of heel so the heroes who actually risked their lives to stall for him won't end up being disrespected by the whims of the crowd.

Comedy! Action! Character development! True heroism! Heart nipples! The Sea King arc has it all.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Don't forget, nudity.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

It's always something.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Terper posted:

I just re-read the Sea King arc.

God drat that ending is so cool... Saitama is so cool...

e:

Saitama... :qq:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Metal Bat gives me some serious GTO vibes. I love it so much. He owns.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
What can I say that about the Sea King arc that hasn't been said. Hands down the best arc for the manga I feel (well Saitama and King meeting up and them becoming bros is also the best)

Really this is probably the best manga ever about a character who is super OP and he isn't boring. I had to explain to friends or people who were interested that the focused wasn't about Saitama beating enemies with one punch, and I feel the Sea King Arc is the perfect way to sum up what OP is about.

Plus nothing gets to me like when LBR and Saitama share a meal after the fight.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
So reading the newest chapter and then watching the latest episode the same day made me really wish that Metal Bat had shown up to stop the Meteor, and then just recreated the scene from FLCL.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Oh I'm ready for this.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If this leaked episode list I've found is correct, the next episode should encompass everything prior to the Sea King breaching the safety domes.

Also, Boros is most likely gonna be a three-parter.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

If this leaked episode list I've found is correct, the next episode should encompass everything prior to the Sea King breaching the safety domes.

Also, Boros is most likely gonna be a three-parter.

That's what I suspected judging by the number of chapters per arc. Two-parter for Sea King and three parter for Boros

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Did I miss the story on where Saitama got his costume? Because man, those gloves survived everything.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I'm really looking forward to Pri Pri Prisoner and Sea King slugging it out. Prisoner is definitely not great as a character, but the panels of him taking Sea King's punch and returning it--right after we saw a bunch of heroes get chumped--is where I realized that every S-Class hero is the real deal. It's a great moment.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
I honestly wonder if the "he's a rapist, but it's okay, he only rapes bad guys" will actually make it to the anime. How did it get handled in the US releases of the manga?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

PFlats posted:

I honestly wonder if the "he's a rapist, but it's okay, he only rapes bad guys" will actually make it to the anime. How did it get handled in the US releases of the manga?

I'm not sure what line you're talking about. If the scanlation went something like "It's a crime to violate normal boys, but... If it's a criminal boy, it's like I'm punishing him and it's killing two birds with one stone. No one will complain and everything's good!", then the official release is "Attacking normal guys is wrong... But punishing criminals isn't! I can kill two birds with one stone! No one will complain, so it's all good!"

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I could see Pri Pri Prisoner turning into a really good character if he just had someone to say to him "Hey, this isn't healthy, you can be better than this." And then the next time we see him he's got a much more healthy attitude about his sexuality, but stays in prison to keep the super max detainees in check. I don't have much faith it'll happen, but it'd be a neat character arc for him.

Really, I'd like to see him improve, because his character has a bunch of really strong and interesting elements (hero who voluntarily stays in jail is a neat concept, he's got a distinctive character design, memorable attacks, very noticeably learns from his losses, etc.) it just sucks that he's implemented in such a regressive and marginalizing manner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, I'm kind of curious/worried about how he's going to be handled too, because as great as some individual moments are he's a really gross character. I guess we'll see.