Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
New PHR Ships:

I like them, but they all look like plasma guns to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Funny, that's exactly what I called the UCM cruisers when I saw them for the first time.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I've just got back from WARFARE in Reading (hey Dropzone goons, I probably spoke to you unawares as I hung around the DzC tables a lot and talked to everybody). Hawk had a medium-sized presence, a little cramped due to lack of space, but they did have a big cabinet full of Scourge ships. I cornered Hawk Simon and had a chat, and some new tidbits came to light - particularly about Scourge frigates.

Firstly, they were showing a new Scourge bombardment frigate. Apparently the Scourge fleet won't have bombardment cruisers, the focus for bombardment missions will be on having the little guys rush through and break past enemy defensive lines to strafe the planet below.

Secondly, remember this guy?

I thought those vertical pipes were going to be some sort of cloud weapon...nope! This class of Scourge frigate has its weapon batteries deliberately fixed upwards, allowing it to ambush ships from below. Schrage musik has come to Dropfleet!

This all suggests Scourge frigate classes will be focussed on being irritating little gits...which is as it should be! I'm suddenly very tempted to run a Scourge "tiny space bastards" force, and look forward to giving it a try.

The other big thing we discussed was post-Kickstarter releases. Simon confirmed that Hawk are planning lots of variant classes like big dreadnoughts, alternate battleships, destroyers for each faction and so on. These are intended to be in resin down the line once the game is released at retail. It's not a particular surprise that Hawk are planning this, but it's good to have confirmation.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Do youse guys prefer to glue the rod holder thingie in place before or after painting?

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

signalnoise posted:

Do youse guys prefer to glue the rod holder thingie in place before or after painting?

After is the intended use; bit hard to use them unpainted then though...

Loxbourne posted:

I've just got back from WARFARE in Reading ...

Also popped over briefly, managed to get a few shots of the painted Scourge/UCM;

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Loxbourne posted:

I thought those vertical pipes were going to be some sort of cloud weapon...nope! This class of Scourge frigate has its weapon batteries deliberately fixed upwards, allowing it to ambush ships from below. Schrage musik has come to Dropfleet!
Hrm, I was wondering what that guy would be for. I remember from those demo videos that ships in a different atmospheric/orbital layer get cover bonuses so this guy probably goes down a level and shoots up at the ships above. It's already been said by Hawk that PHR will focus more on cruisers so I'm guessing Scourge are going to be big on frigates. That sort of thing would suit them pretty well.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Loxbourne posted:

I've just got back from WARFARE in Reading (hey Dropzone goons, I probably spoke to you unawares as I hung around the DzC tables a lot and talked to everybody). Hawk had a medium-sized presence, a little cramped due to lack of space, but they did have a big cabinet full of Scourge ships. I cornered Hawk Simon and had a chat, and some new tidbits came to light - particularly about Scourge frigates.

Firstly, they were showing a new Scourge bombardment frigate. Apparently the Scourge fleet won't have bombardment cruisers, the focus for bombardment missions will be on having the little guys rush through and break past enemy defensive lines to strafe the planet below.

This all suggests Scourge frigate classes will be focussed on being irritating little gits...which is as it should be! I'm suddenly very tempted to run a Scourge "tiny space bastards" force, and look forward to giving it a try.

The other big thing we discussed was post-Kickstarter releases. Simon confirmed that Hawk are planning lots of variant classes like big dreadnoughts, alternate battleships, destroyers for each faction and so on. These are intended to be in resin down the line once the game is released at retail. It's not a particular surprise that Hawk are planning this, but it's good to have confirmation.

Aw gently caress, I just convinced myself I shouldn't do this KS as its so expensive (+25% value added tax for importing other poo poo than books) and I'd really rather have a PHR fleet and I don't have anyone to play against.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Grey Hunter and I are playing in the Warfare DzC tournament, so we have probably seen you guys and didn't know.

I'm the guy with the double type 4 PHR army, colour scheme as pictured in my avatar.

My scores for day 1 were 10-10, 0-20 and 18-2.

My 0-20 was against Orbital Bombardment's Mike Birch and his evil UCM air list. I enjoyed the game but made mistakes bringing my infantry on too early with nothing for them to do, so Mike just killed them all while overwhelming me with gunships. I think I suck at Ground Control as I don't know what to do with my units for the first 4 turns with no objectives or focal points to go for! Still, I did manage to kill his Ferrum. Heh.

The 10-10 was against Alex, another OB member so I'll probably get talked about in the next pod cast I guess! My Hades and Nemesis ended up mostly shooting buildings in this one as he was hiding his tanks from me (which meant they didn't do so much) and I needed to stop his infantry from finding and carrying off objectives.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Ugleb posted:

Still, I did manage to kill his Ferrum. Heh.

Was he the guy who had his Ferrum converted to have a big set of fan engines? I wondered if he was proxying the UCM command gunship.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So I went to a local hobby store to try this, had quite an interesting experience.

There were only two armies for four people interested, so we played with two-man committees for each side. I forget what the scenario was called but it had five control points that you won by having the most points worth of dudes near.

On turn one we deployed everything, no major action.

On turn two my/our scourge AA went in and got one of the UCM gunships. It later got the second gunship, which didn't accomplish anything. Our infantry managed to score three of the five objectives, including two Destroyer squads in the central objective.

On turn three our commander in the Desolator went in on a group of nine UCM tanks (the tanks and AA with two damage points each, forget what they're called). He killed one anti-air tank.

On turn four the Desolator went in to minimum range (taking half his hp in damage from the AA) on the tank blob and killed NOTHING. Ugh. Some other stuff was killed.

We never did turns five and six because one of the other people had to go but it was judged that the Scourge would probably still hold all three objectives on their side of the board, and be able to contest the objectives on the UCM side. I'm not sure about that because most of that tank blob was still alive and I'd be forced to try to kill it with my infantry once it reached the center objective.

All in all I enjoyed it and once I figure out the most economical way to convert MTG cards I'm not using into DZC minis I'll pick some up.

One thing I noticed was it felt like the guy's Scourge list couldn't really do much to kill heavily-armored enemies. Unfortunately I don't have the full list with me.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Loxbourne posted:

Was he the guy who had his Ferrum converted to have a big set of fan engines? I wondered if he was proxying the UCM command gunship.

Yep, that's Mike

Maybe i'll be able to make it to autumn invasion this year, plane tickets from germany aren't that expensive...

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Yeah that was Mike's converted Ferrum. He also has a couple of ravens converted with PHR turbines on them, apparently he won a PHR starter and has been stripping it for components.

He was fielding the Phoenix (command gunship) as well as the Ferrum, he just did the conversion as he was bored of always seeing the standard model.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Loxbourne posted:

I've just got back from WARFARE in Reading (hey Dropzone goons, I probably spoke to you unawares as I hung around the DzC tables a lot and talked to everybody).

I'm wearing my goddamn avatars on my t-shirt!
Suresh, whY do I have to do to get recognised.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Shaltari photos are out in the latest Update:

Also bonus glowy praetorians i finished yesterday :v:

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Holy moley, those Shaltari Ships!

:eyepop:

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

4.3 inches is gigantic. This game is going to be :krad:

I guess the bigger BFG ships were close to that too.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?

Prefect Six posted:

Some of the big Firestorm Armada ships are 6-7" long and to be honest they become a chore to paint at that point. Just a massive slab of resin covered in tiny little greebles.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Bob Smith posted:

Some of the big Firestorm Armada ships are 6-7" long and to be honest they become a chore to paint at that point. Just a massive slab of resin covered in tiny little greebles.

The "double sized" Beijing is 284mm, half that is 142mm, which is 5.59 inches. I'd guess six inches is the upper limit.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Prefect Six posted:

At Warfare Simon was saying that they won't be going any longer than this as they want to keep the sizes reasonable. They have been using competitors models for play testing and think some of them are on the ridiculous side.

The dropfleet battleships and dreadnoughts will be similar length to the cruisers but have a chunkier look.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
I wasn't too impressed by the shaltari ships in the renders- it's always amazing what a lick of paint can do for a model. They look sweet as hell now. I hope they go the Foss route and stripe up the phr ships. All those big boring areas need a little sprucing up.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Phildo posted:

I wasn't too impressed by the shaltari ships in the renders- it's always amazing what a lick of paint can do for a model. They look sweet as hell now. I hope they go the Foss route and stripe up the phr ships. All those big boring areas need a little sprucing up.

I think the stripey look would be better on the angular platey ships. For PHR I'd do something more airbrush-based, get a smooth color gradient going on the flat curved areas.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
I want to do the PHR stuff in really glossy colours with the guns in a very dark gunmetal. Something like racing green would look good, possibly with a huge insignia stencilled on the side in white.

It would be a good excuse to get the hang of using stencils.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
gold leaf

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I don't have an airbrush and I'm really not sure what I will do with my PHR ships. So far they look almost designed for airbrushing with those large unbroken surfaces taking up so much of the models.

Can you even get stencils for use with bristles?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Alright, I have a Dropzone-related question. So, a while back I was dumb and got six Apollo walkers because I figured I'd run a silly flying robot list at some point. I'm about to build these and I'm wondering which gun I should go with. The light railgun or the anti-infantry cannon? The cannon has been FAQ'd to have a flame shot, but that only hits on a 6+. I also have two Erebos walkers so the same question stands for them. After dry fitting the parts it doesn't seem like they'll stay in place during gaming though paint may help with that. Or I could get ridiculously tiny magnets. :v:

I guess if I ever want to do a full-on Caine list with her retinue the Apollos will have to have the railguns anyways. Hopefully that Hera gets released as a generic unit at some point. I'm pretty sure I remember reading somewhere that it probably would.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I magnetized mine using tiny magnets. It was a bit of a pain, but its possible. Otherwise I'd probably stick with the railgun.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I run my erebos with the manslayer as they cost less points that way. I see them as mostly being about the ECM ability and weapons are entirely secondary. A bit of anti infantry doesn't hurt though. Also the railguns were missing from my pack, so there was that.

The Apollo I would probably go with railguns most of the time. I see them being about hunting down your opponents backboard units so railguns are far more useful. I will be looking at magnetising mine but if I can't figure it out then it's railguns. Maybe do 4 with rails and 2 with manslayer?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Got my UCM starter aside as a Christmas present from my partner and I wanna play it now. :saddowns:

One question though dudes how does the game scale out of the starters. What's an ideal expansion point from this? I'm still trying to grokk what scale the games played at.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Points wise the starters are about 500pts and a standard sized game is 1500pts. The starter gives you a solid core of useful units to build off.

Next you want a command unit as they are one of the few essential things. The kodiak is solid, the Phoenix is more awesome but harder to use and more likely to die.

After that you can mostly just go with what you like. Katanna's are scary good at building demo. Falcons are flying evil. Archangels are great at picking off enemy dropships. The Ferrum is close to being an auto include. You might want to look at Praetorians and/or Hazard suits for some meaner and hardier infantry options.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Ugleb already covered most of it, starting at 1000 you need a commander after that it mostly comes down to how things fit into the battlegroup slots and balancing the different roles.

Wolverines are handy, they provide some light AA and because they're scouts they can serve as spotters for the kodiak/longbows and open up Expeditionary Corps BGs.

As for scale, here's the 1500 army deal as an example:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah the Wolverines caught my eye as I think they look really cool. I was thinking maybe the Kodiak, some Wolverines and after that I'm a bit unsure. No doubt I'll figure it out with my group on where to go, how early into the points scale do the interceptors, gunships and artillery come into the game?

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
The interceptors become available at 1000 points, artillery and gunships are available at any level as long as you have the support slots.

You'll also want some command cards once you start playing with commanders.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
How are people finding the UCM Gladius? I used to see them at tournaments as an area-denial unit you popped down and used as a roadblock, but lately they've disappeared. Did the metagame move on?

You never see the Scourge heavy tanks either, although the Shaltari and PHR equivalents are pretty common.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

I magnetized mine using tiny magnets. It was a bit of a pain, but its possible. Otherwise I'd probably stick with the railgun.

Ugleb posted:

I run my erebos with the manslayer as they cost less points that way. I see them as mostly being about the ECM ability and weapons are entirely secondary. A bit of anti infantry doesn't hurt though. Also the railguns were missing from my pack, so there was that.

The Apollo I would probably go with railguns most of the time. I see them being about hunting down your opponents backboard units so railguns are far more useful. I will be looking at magnetising mine but if I can't figure it out then it's railguns. Maybe do 4 with rails and 2 with manslayer?
Thanks, y'all. I'm probably just going to glue the railguns in for my Apollos. It just seems like that weapon fits its role better. I also have to admit that I love the idea of them hopping over a building and laying waste to some poor tanks or artillery. My two Erebos walkers will probably get the manslayer cannon.

Another question about the Apollos while I'm at it: It's worth giving them a dropship, right? They can't use their jumpjets on the first turn though afterward they can go a pretty respectable 12". A dropship would give them a pretty solid position to work from, especially with their special rule which allows their transport to go its full distance and drop them off. I'm just wondering if people think this is worth the points.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
So would I be missing out by just running the starter packs at like 500 points?

I should rephrase: How many points is best for the combination of learning the game and enticing me and my friends to play it more often?

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 17, 2015

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Ugleb posted:

I don't have an airbrush and I'm really not sure what I will do with my PHR ships. So far they look almost designed for airbrushing with those large unbroken surfaces taking up so much of the models.

Can you even get stencils for use with bristles?

Have you considered using masking tape?

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Loxbourne posted:

How are people finding the UCM Gladius?
No idea to be honest, i'm mainly holding off on purchasing them because they're going to be combined into one blister with the scimitars so i'd rather magnetise the turrets.

signalnoise posted:

I should rephrase: How many points is best for the combination of learning the game and enticing me and my friends to play it more often?

You could add a commander and possibly something small so you get to try out more specialized units as well as command cards, should put you around 800 points.

For a little con earlier this year we had the following lists:
UCM
Scourge

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

signalnoise posted:

Play a game or three with the starter set to get your head around the rules a bit then start bringing in a few more units like commanders and the cards. Many of the cards allow you to make situational exceptions to the rules which might get confusing to start with.

If you slowly scale up then everyone can get to grips with the basics and learn what the more elaborate stuff does a piece at a time. I'd look at something like 500pts, 750, 1000, 1500 progression. You will probably be adding 2 or 3 units per side at each step.

Tanith posted:

Have you considered using masking tape?

I was thinking about that the other day, it may well be the way to go putting some markings on them thar hulls. I need to go learn about it!

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
High rank backers get a free civilian ship! :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Sulecrist posted:

High rank backers get a free civilian ship! :unsmigghh:

Hopefully there are some scenarios in the book to use this, and maybe a card token or something in the starter box for those who don't get the model. Sort of related, at Warfare Simon mentioned that the starter set will have card tokens for the launch assets which makes the models an upgrade thing. Or at least I'm pretty sure that was what he meant!

In other news, we're all getting a free t-shirt. :D