Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I just realised there's no reason why IBO couldn't be set in the same universe as Cowboy Bebop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Sakurazuka posted:

I just realised there's no reason why IBO couldn't be set in the same universe as Cowboy Bebop

In Cowboy Bebop Earth is all hosed up and constantly getting hit by meteors

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

We haven't seen earth yet, the moon (mostly) exploded it ain't gonna be swings and roundabouts.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Sakurazuka posted:

We haven't seen earth yet

But we know it has power over Mars, instead of being just some hosed up backwater there's no good reason to go to.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Also the whole space bridge technology

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay, this might be totally off-base, but after watching the latest episode I somehow have the assumption that the man with the cowboy hat is part of the Jovian mafia, and for the life of me I can't explain why I think so. Has there been anything that could explain this? (also, do we know anyone involved with the Jovian mafia yet?)

Because he looks as smug as a mining conglomerate on Jupiter while not wearing Code Geass clothes. Process of elimination.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If you showed a picture of every character in IBO and asked someone to pick out the Joivan Mobster, 10 out of 10 people are going to pick hat dude.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
He also showed up on screen for a bit when they started talking about Teiwaz.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Just sayin' that I'm super hyped for the space mafia ladies and their punch-robots, and tomorrow morning can't come soon enough.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Pixiv IBO spotlight:
http://spotlight.pics/en/a/815

There is already some really nice fanart out there.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
IBO seems to be settling into a cycle of quiet episodes --> running battles for the entire episode, and it is completely loving badass. Orga really is going for the high risk maneuvers every chance he can get.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I guess this also doubles as a fanservice episode?

Akihito showing why he's Number Two. :black101:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

That's a lot of saved up cheesecake.

edit: Fuuuuck, that stain of blood from Akihiro's tank top as he's heading to his mobile suit

Tae fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Nov 15, 2015

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
we needed alot of hot babes to balance out all the hot guys

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I hope that instead of the traditional upgrade they just keep stacking more stuff onto the Barbatos

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I like that for the second time in a row Tekkadan's mobile suits were pretty much entirely outmatched by the enemy and victory was decided by the rest of the crew being creative.

It was also neat that after we learn that Orga tends to make rash decisions to live up to how Mikazuki perceives him he immediately lands the group in hot water with the mafia. He's lucky Naze seems to dislike child experimentation.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
I still cringe whenever a female pilot says "boya". drat it Victory.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Phobophilia posted:

IBO seems to be settling into a cycle of quiet episodes --> running battles for the entire episode, and it is completely loving badass. Orga really is going for the high risk maneuvers every chance he can get.

It really does help with the pacing - battles get a chance to really feel like an event, rather than a few obligatory minutes each episode.

Awesome use of space (both literally and in terms of where things were on the battlefield), continue to love Tekkadan's absurd tactics, and the fight choreography is just fun to watch. Really gives the sense that everybody is skilled and has different advantages to play with, rather than someone's suit being straight up better than all the others.

Though is it me, or is Tekkadan's patented 'suddenly turn around, ride up close to them and give them hell' tactic going to backfire at some point? This is twice they've done it now, and whilst its been separate parties, surely someone is gonna start anticipating that they don't like a ranged battle.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Astro Nut posted:

It really does help with the pacing - battles get a chance to really feel like an event, rather than a few obligatory minutes each episode.

Awesome use of space (both literally and in terms of where things were on the battlefield), continue to love Tekkadan's absurd tactics, and the fight choreography is just fun to watch. Really gives the sense that everybody is skilled and has different advantages to play with, rather than someone's suit being straight up better than all the others.

Though is it me, or is Tekkadan's patented 'suddenly turn around, ride up close to them and give them hell' tactic going to backfire at some point? This is twice they've done it now, and whilst its been separate parties, surely someone is gonna start anticipating that they don't like a ranged battle.

Yeah, I really like that the fights always seem like a solid matchup of skill, tools, and wits and not a one-sided slaughter.

As far as their rush tactic, they have only had those two battles so far and no one else knows about Tekkadan yet, so it'll probably keep working for a while if they wanted to.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
I laughed at the exchange of glances between Orga and Mika early on in the episode. Orga was having a "gotta look cool for Mika" moment and looking really intense, and Mika is just munching away.

I really like this pacing for the fights. Give the show an episode to breathe and then bring a fight and make it feel all big and like An Event. It's also cool that everyone continues to be important in the fights. "The enemy! Send out the mobile suits!" being only like 1/3 of what's necessary to keep them escaping by the skin of their teeth is keeping me really engaged and excited.

I also liked how they reinforced the fact that the Whiskers are awful and inhumane with how disgusted Naze looks when they're mentioned. There hasn't been a lack of that so far, but it helps really sell it when even the mob seems to think that is a bridge too far.

And the ending theme! Again! The jazz organ in the lead-up kicks so much rear end.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Zero_Tactility posted:

I also liked how they reinforced the fact that the Whiskers are awful and inhumane with how disgusted Naze looks when they're mentioned. There hasn't been a lack of that so far, but it helps really sell it when even the mob seems to think that is a bridge too far.

That was probably my favorite moment in an episode full of good moments. Seriously, when even the goddamn space mafia looks down on you for forcing that poo poo on kids, you know you've gone too far.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

This loving show had me at the edge of my seat holy poo poo

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
One of my favorite parts of the show clashing against previous tropes is when Akihiro got super pumped up and went apeshit on his two opponents due to not wanting to let down/lose to Mika. In a normal show this is a segment where the character would get an unexplained surge of power and start stomping on his opponents. In this situation, while he did indeed force his opponents to focus on him again, it was at the cost of abandoning all defense and getting his poo poo kicked in almost trivially.

Also the Yamagi segment made me :stare:. There's a couple of ways to interpret that scene but my immediate reaction was holy poo poo are they going to have a legit gay crush in a Gundam show? I hope so because that would be amazing.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Yeah, the Yamagi thing was really interesting to me because it was such a huge focus but very vague. I would hope he doesn't have some urge to become a combatant and it instead turns out to be a crush or something motivating him to become a better engineer.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Am I the only one that noticed that those spine systems apparently leak occasionally?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Tae posted:

Am I the only one that noticed that those spine systems apparently leak occasionally?

What? When?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Kanos posted:

Also the Yamagi segment made me :stare:. There's a couple of ways to interpret that scene but my immediate reaction was holy poo poo are they going to have a legit gay crush in a Gundam show? I hope so because that would be amazing.

I hope neither of them die now :ohdear:

Again, IBO gets that physical damage that does not immediately lead to a kill raises the tension of a fight scene. Barbatos and the Graze Kai got shot and hit to shreds and kept going at reduced capabilities, same for the Turbins suits. There was a real sense that things could go wrong at any second.

edit: I thought that was just the Human Debris red strip Akihiro and his dudes have on their uniforms.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

He's always had a red stripe going down his shirt.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Okay, that makes the scene less cringey. Thanks for clarifying.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Tae posted:

Okay, that makes the scene less cringey. Thanks for clarifying.

It's the human debris mark that shows they were legally CGS' property.

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009

Kanos posted:

Originally I thought it might have been because Yamagi has prosthetic arms and has some hang ups about it, but re-watching the episode made realize nearly everyone has those gray sleeves on their forearms/wrists and its probably just part of their space uniform. There was that focus on his hands, but those gloves are probably just there because of maintenance work. Funny how I didn't notice those sleeves until that scene. :downs:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Traveller posted:

Again, IBO gets that physical damage that does not immediately lead to a kill raises the tension of a fight scene. Barbatos and the Graze Kai got shot and hit to shreds and kept going at reduced capabilities, same for the Turbins suits. There was a real sense that things could go wrong at any second.

Almost paradoxically, the fact that units can get crunched, mangled, and shot to poo poo without instantly exploding or being disabled makes battles a fuckload more tense and engaging than if they had one-shot kill beam rifles going at each other. It means that you can never predict if somebody's out of the fight or not just because they took a couple of hits, and even a damaged or nearly dead opponent can still stab someone in the back. So far the only 100% sure and quick way to take a suit out of a fight is to kill or disable the pilot, and every time we've seen that done it's been due to an unexpected surprise attack. Mika even tried it on Gaelio and failed because Gaelio was ready for it.

It makes for some pretty loving fantastic battle choreography.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I enjoyed the brief shot at the end where it was clear Mika was super-deep into bloodlust and was totally prepared to suicide before Orga called him down. Mika is a remarkably hosed-up kid.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Naze feels like an older Orga. Normally, him being a mobster commanding an all-female gang would raise some serious Scirocco-style red flags, but they seem to be selling him as principled and honourable, so I'm wondering if the Turbines are going to be set up as the end-point for Orga's vision of Tekkadan, a prosperous outfit that keeps the people he cares about and wants to protect employed and renowned, but is still mired in violence and criminality and doesn't have a long, safe life ahead of it. It'll certainly be neat to see them as allies for Tekkadan, as seems to be the setup - our boys could seriously use some experienced combat veterans and advanced technology, so I guess that's what Naze and his girls will be providing. Plus, next ep looks like it'll be loaded with fun character interplay.

One other, unrelated thing - now that the Hyakuren and its variants have been confirmed to be Jovian, it'll be interesting to see what direction Gjallafhorn's mechanical design will go in, because we know they'll be getting more suits - they are the main villains, after all. We really haven't seen much apart from Graze variants, the Kimaris (which doesn't really count because it's a Gundam), and probably the Man Rodi.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

The Man Rodi belongs to an unrelated group, Brewers.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I enjoyed the brief shot at the end where it was clear Mika was super-deep into bloodlust and was totally prepared to suicide before Orga called him down. Mika is a remarkably hosed-up kid.

Yeah, I liked this.

This was a decent episode, but I find that IBO is increasingly a show where I like the episodes without any combat over the ones with combat in them. I like the character moments and this one had surprisingly few of them.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
I really like the mechanical design behind the ships, like how the bridge can be retracted behind armour plating before entering combat. It was also neat how they made a point of shutting off the centrifugal gravity before swinging the ship around, presumably so there wasn't any gyroscopic effect messing up their turn.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

The potatoes were pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
They annoyed me a little bit, just because Atra stowed them in the helmets. There's really no point in putting on a normal suit in battle if you're not going to have your helmet on, or at least to hand. I imagine at least Atra should have known better since she knew how to put on a normal suit in the first place.

• Locked thread