Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

flyingkiwi posted:

Strong dislikes it when you get into power armor or pick a lock which is going to become a real problem moving forward

However, Strong likes it if you eat people with the Cannibal perk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

MisterBibs posted:

I never said it was? It's just a really lovely thing to have to specifically craft when it should be the default mode, or a toggle.

If you have trouble pinpointing where the middle of your screen is, that's not really the game's fault. When you aim down the sight of a gun in this game, it puts the center of the sight in the middle of the screen. So just, like, look at the middle of the screen. :shrug:

The only gun I've had trouble with the sights of is the long-barrel hunting rifle and that's because the front sight is so far away when you're aiming that it's teeny tiny. But that's one gun, out of dozens.

edit: Or use vats. And yeah FO3/NV did have 'true iron sights' as a toggle in the options but that's because that game's aiming/bullet spread system worked way differently and they had the ability to make that toggle. Bullets were basically RNG in projectile form and would actively curve away or toward enemies based on your Guns skill. Zoomed-in aiming didn't actually do anything except reduce your weapon's spread. For a lot of gameplay reasons, that system isn't possible anymore in FO4 (no Guns skill and actual cone-based bullet spread most importantly), so they took the option out because it wouldn't actually function.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Nov 15, 2015

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
How can you be so loving dumb as to not understand an iron sight?

There are children in Africa smarter than this.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
I was walking across the bridge from Sanctuary and heard the UFO event. So I spent an hour scouring the area, looking for the crash site. I even used the fly cam. Found a lot of other little loot spots, but no UFO.

So I googled it, and apparently is always crashes in the same spot. I went to the spot the guide mentions and sure enough it was there.

Near the Beantown Brewery, which is a good distance away from Sanctuary. Well at least now I have my Alien Blaster. This was after about 40 hours of game play, and I haven't been to Vault 75 like the top google result mentions.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Dan Didio posted:

MisterBibs once wrote several pages about why he doesn't think holographic sights are real because "there's no way to trap light in such a small device".

Nerolus
Mar 12, 2010

"He smells like roast chicken, looks like burnt meatloaf."

MisterBibs posted:

I'm the same way. I want a disembodied goddamned dot on the screen telling me where my shot is going. Iron sights takes that away and replaces it with a physical object that kinda points out where the shot is going (but not really, since it could be this line of the object, or the top of this part, or the side of this part), and prolly blocks the thing I'm trying to see. Telling that the best scopes in the game basically remove iron sights and replace it with a proper Basic Dot.

Iron sights is yet another example of a stupid idea that people justify as benefiting the immersion of a game, forgetting that every gameplay decision benefitting immersion is a stupid one.

Iron sights have always worked the same in just about every game as they do in real life. Lollypop on a stick, young grasshopper. Put the poo poo on top of the post and pull.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Dan Didio posted:

Years of games that used proper (accurate) reticles, and iron sights constantly not being close to visually accurate.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

MisterBibs once wrote several pages about why he doesn't think holographic sights are real because "there's no way to trap light in such a small device".

:confused: Is this a reference to something? I never wrote anything like this...

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Nov 15, 2015

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

MisterBibs is incredibly unwell and I'm afraid for him.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Hold your breath to prevent enemies from detecting you

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Dan Didio posted:

MisterBibs is incredibly unwell and I'm afraid for him.
he lacks basic cognitive function i wouldn't be surprised if he thought the gun would shoot at the corner of the screen it was in before videogames standardized crosshairs and ironsights

Isosceles Waffle
Jul 11, 2012

flyingkiwi posted:

Strong dislikes it when you get into power armor or pick a lock which is going to become a real problem moving forward

I thought I was gonna have this problem going forward too (not so much on the power armor but the lockpicking and hacking terminals), but it turns out that Strong REALLY loves boss fights and artillery. There are at least couple big opportunities in the Minuteman and Brotherhood questlines that he will definitely get huge boosts in affection afterwards, maybe even hit max, if you've been having him tag along while going around murderhoboing for a good while. He's not as much an "evil" companion as his dialogue lets on... save y'know, wanting to kill all humans. He just really likes murder and fighting. And sharing. I wanna hug him and squeeze him! :3:

Isosceles Waffle fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Nov 15, 2015

Oddity
Jun 22, 2003

"This woman here depicted will possess unseen marks. Signs that she will be the one to bring forth my works."
I just got the people to Sanctuary and am "encouraged" to build poo poo for them. Is it recommended to tear down the buildings there and start from scratch, or "build around" the non-collapsed buildings?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Oddity posted:

I just got the people to Sanctuary and am "encouraged" to build poo poo for them. Is it recommended to tear down the buildings there and start from scratch, or "build around" the non-collapsed buildings?
if you know what end pieces do and do not magically clip together, you can build their dorms for them but they won't have windows

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Bongo.

Bongo.

Bongo.

I don't want to leave

the congo.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MisterBibs posted:

I'm the same way. I want a disembodied goddamned dot on the screen telling me where my shot is going. Iron sights takes that away and replaces it with a physical object that kinda points out where the shot is going (but not really, since it could be this line of the object, or the top of this part, or the side of this part), and prolly blocks the thing I'm trying to see. Telling that the best scopes in the game basically remove iron sights and replace it with a proper Basic Dot.

Iron sights is yet another example of a stupid idea that people justify as benefiting the immersion of a game, forgetting that every gameplay decision benefitting immersion is a stupid one.

I feel like iron sights are awesome and maybe just get good idk.

Dan Didio posted:

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Lady Naga posted:

I really have no idea why they got rid of the ability to shoot projectiles/guns in VATS. Was there anyone who's gameplay experience was ruined by VATS being too easy?

They didn't. I've shot a molotov out of the air in VATS once already. Granted, I was trying to do something else when I opened VATS, but when it targeted the molotov curving in towards my head, I changed my mind and shot it instead. :v:

jfood posted:

I dislike how all scavengers consider Dogmeat to have his weapon drawn at all times, which means I can't trade because they auto-agro.

oh

oh god

this is why my pipboy says I murdered three people

I even know exactly which three

i'm so sorry

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
I was walking through a tunnel, picking up some mirelurk eggs. Popping hatchlings left and right. Suddenly I hear Dogmeat getting mauled. What is it? Surely you can handle a few hatc... :stonk: HOLY gently caress LEGENDARY RAZORCLAW IN MY FACE

Haven't had one of these before. Seems okay?

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

jfood posted:

I dislike how all scavengers consider Dogmeat to have his weapon drawn at all times, which means I can't trade because they auto-agro. Counterpoint, Dogmeat is always ready to party.

Who's a good boy!?! You are, buddy!

Well that explains a lot...I just thought they were some type of raider or something.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I actually turned off crosshairs and have been playing entirely with iron sights and guesstimate spraying. It works and is fun! Try it!

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Oddity posted:

It's hard to use the standing buildings to actually build anything. Scrap the collapsed houses and just toss some beds in the empty houses. You don't really have to build anything except some water pumps. Find a few food items like corn and tatos and put them in the dirt. The minecraft menu will let you assign someone to work the platns by highlighting the person, selecting COMMAND, and then clicking on a free plant. They will automatically work up to 6 plants.

I think you can highlight someone, select command, then scroll through to recources>food>[food], and then plant the food to have them work the plants as well. Hovering on a person in minecraft mode will highlight whatever resources / job and bed they are assigned to, but since things can be kind of spread out in Sanctuary it doesn't always help.

I did throw some prefab shacks down to kind of centralize everything, but I'm not doing any building from scratch yet in the hopes that I get some nicer-looking walls and roof options.

E:

Songbearer posted:

I actually turned off crosshairs and have been playing entirely with iron sights and guesstimate spraying. It works and is fun! Try it!
I did that at first and it was great for combat but it made it harder to determine where I needed to be to check containers and loot stuff so I turned to crosshairs back on.

titties fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Nov 15, 2015

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Bought it on release day but due to exams I've only just been able to start playing now and ... experienced a game breaking bug already. Everything has run smoothly in the intro, the vault and walking around outside the vault. I've got to Concord and am trying to go inside the Freedom Museum and each time I try to go in the game loads for a moment and then crashes to desktop. Trying to look for similar issues online yet, only seen a couple of people mention it but no follow up. Anyone else experienced the same? FYI, running GeForce GTX560, drivers up to date. i7-3770CPU @ 3.4ghz.

flyingkiwi
Jun 1, 2012

Wowzers!
The only iron sights or scope I don't like is one I've just found attached to an auto pipe rifle, which is two screws inside an otherwise empty scope. I'm meant to be aiming somewhere in the middle of the two screws or something. They don't make a centrepoint at all, they're not even or anything, I don't know what that was all about.

Isosceles Waffle posted:

I thought I was gonna have this problem going forward too (not so much on the power armor but the lockpicking and hacking terminals), but it turns out that Strong REALLY loves boss fights and artillery. There are at least couple big opportunities in the Minuteman and Brotherhood questlines that he will definitely get huge boosts in affection afterwards, maybe even hit max, if you've been having him tag along while going around murderhoboing for a good while. He's not as much an "evil" companion as his dialogue lets on... save y'know, wanting to kill all humans. He just really likes murder and fighting. And sharing. I wanna hug him and squeeze him! :3:

That's reassuring, I was worried he'd suddenly leave me for getting in my big tin cans one day

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Iceshade posted:

I was walking through a tunnel, picking up some mirelurk eggs. Popping hatchlings left and right. Suddenly I hear Dogmeat getting mauled. What is it? Surely you can handle a few hatc... :stonk: HOLY gently caress LEGENDARY RAZORCLAW IN MY FACE

Haven't had one of these before. Seems okay?
institute weapons do 1/3 the damage of regular laser weapons

no idea why this is other than bethesda

flyingkiwi
Jun 1, 2012

Wowzers!
I really recommend not having enough of a defense rating on your walled-off base, I get attacked all the time and as long as I make sure to snipe the suicide super mutant I can collect a bunch of free poo poo just dropped off on my doorstep. There's generally a legendary in each wave too.

I don't have a door or a gate though, I just made a little alley of junk fences and stuck some turrets at the end of them and made a rampart with some turrets so anything trying to run in gets blended

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Oh. gg

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
So let me get this straight, is there only one type of leather armor or have I not encountered any yet?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Is there a console command or anything I can do to remove my radiation? Because I'll be honest I think this is kind of bullshit. A ghoul hits me for a good chunk of damage, then does like three times that in radiation I can't heal back.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Robzilla posted:

So let me get this straight, is there only one type of leather armor or have I not encountered any yet?
the only pieces of armor that have "upgraded" variants are metal, combat, and synth armor

and the upgraded variants have like a 10% chance of appearing, and one is a small improvement while the other is double the armor value

have fun with that

titties
May 10, 2012

If you stop to talk to Piper during your adventures she will give you a sweetroll or sometimes some cereal for a snack :3

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

So, my game runs mostly fine, but if I try to VATS an enemy at long distances, my FPS utterly tanks. Anybody know what might be up? DoF setting, perhaps?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I've decided that this game's armour system is really bad, unless it's power armour which is really good. Nothing like hacking an entire airport full of brotherhood knights to pieces with an axe while jetpacking around and landing on people from 50 feet up.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SplitSoul posted:

So, my game runs mostly fine, but if I try to VATS an enemy at long distances, my FPS utterly tanks. Anybody know what might be up? DoF setting, perhaps?
the engine having to load cells from further away

i'm not kidding

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

to show that they are actually secretly insanely incompetent despite also being super scientists, clearly

it's definitely not the designers realizing via complaints that a fuckton of enemies with actually dangerous weapons was probably too challenging for the neanderthals playtesting it

titties
May 10, 2012

I just found out that you can pick up the Vault Tec lunchboxes after you open them. I left a few behind already before I figured it out.

Has anyone found a use for pre-war food like Cram and stuff? I remember it being used in crafting recipes in New Vegas so I've been taking it all.

flyingkiwi
Jun 1, 2012

Wowzers!

titties posted:

If you stop to talk to Piper during your adventures she will give you a sweetroll or sometimes some cereal for a snack :3

Strong regularly forces huge chunks of animal meat on you and pines openly for human corpses to eat

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Fereydun posted:

it's definitely not the designers realizing via complaints that a fuckton of enemies with actually dangerous weapons was probably too challenging for the neanderthals playtesting it
so they could have used 10mm pistols and combat rifles instead instead of making another useless weapon category, i mean if you want to play up something as a threat at least have their standard equipment not be inferior to the regular stuff

titties
May 10, 2012

flyingkiwi posted:

Strong regularly forces huge chunks of animal meat on you and pines openly for human corpses to eat

I unlocked him a little while ago but I forgot to give him the armor I had picked up for him. Where does he go if you don't switch to him right away?

Veeta
Dec 23, 2011

... καὶ ὡς ὑπὸ βελῶν τοῖς σοῖς κατατρωθήσονται ῥήμασιν.

Songbearer posted:

I did this about half way through an archer build Skyrim game (and from the start with this game), and the extra element of challenge it adds is actually quite fun. Works quite well with this game's building system too - I've already been practicing with random bits of junk I've put on tables, but I think I can probably set up a decent target range or two with some of the other objects on offer.

Veeta fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Nov 15, 2015

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard
The castle bossfight really showcases how poorly the inventory system fits with the way the game plays now. You're running your rear end off, dodging poo poo, firing missi- wait my health's below 40% let me go into pipboi and sloowly pick out the specific healing item I want out of a giant list. Like holy poo poo it's an actual exciting (if overly aggravating) boss battle in a Bethesda game but being forced to pause it every twelve seconds to do inventory management is infuriating and I ended up just randomly clicking items and getting addicted to every drug in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
don't the institute weapons have a higher attack speed?

• Locked thread