Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Is that the DLC clue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Yeah what am I looking at here? 4 strings? (are the other ones just not being used? Are they usually that dark?)

That a bassline or what?

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
That is a bass, yeah.

Kinda reminded me of the guitar chart for Plug In Baby.

RHX
Oct 20, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE1zgrMdxBE

Please?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

That's VERY much what it sounds like and I am BEYOND on board with this.

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

3 pack with Journey to the End of the Eastbay plz, would be cool to have songs I requested make it in :mitt:

Doom Sleigher fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 7, 2015

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Bumming Your Scene posted:

3 pack with Journey to the End of the Eastbay plz, would be cool to have songs I requested make it in :mitt:

And Out Come The Wolves full album pack imo

I would buy that ten times

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Any Christmas Song DLC out there?

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

The Bananana posted:

Any Christmas Song DLC out there?

there was but they removed it

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Rancid Song Pack - $9.99

* Rancid "Fall Back Down" - Capo Required [Lead;Rhythm]
* Rancid "Maxwell Murder"
* Rancid "Ruby Soho"
* Rancid "Time Bomb"

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

toymach1ne posted:

Would anyone like a steam code for Billy Talent DLC for Rocksmith 2014?

So having played these songs over the past couple weeks I've grown to really enjoy them. Not only thanks for the DLC but thanks for introducing me to new music.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

toymach1ne posted:

Rancid Song Pack - $9.99

* Rancid "Fall Back Down" - Capo Required [Lead;Rhythm]
* Rancid "Maxwell Murder"
* Rancid "Ruby Soho"
* Rancid "Time Bomb"

:homebrew: those are some fun looking bass lines right there.

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

How is it I can master Plug in Baby but really suck at Under Cover of Darkness?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

"Under Cover of Darkness" is a huge pain in the rear end and Plug In Baby isn't, hth.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

So having played these songs over the past couple weeks I've grown to really enjoy them. Not only thanks for the DLC but thanks for introducing me to new music.

They really are a great band, just don't do much business outside of Canada. Guitarist is really impressive because he plays two guitar parts at once... All the time

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Plug in Baby is basically an ascending scale run with an awkward pattern, you start on note 1 and play upwards a bit, then skip back to note 2 and play upwards from there... it's exactly the kind of thing you get in practice drills to break you out of your box, so it's hard at first but once you get your brain and fingers around the pattern it's pretty simple

There's a couple more tricks to it but the point is the song is a repeating riff and some barre chords, once you get those two bits down you're golden. Under Cover of Darkness is way more structurally complex, there's way more variation in the riffs to remember and the playing has more feel to it, which all adds up to a lot of stuff if you want to duplicate the recorded performance

Speed ain't everything!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
So I just learned Cemetary Gates, and I'm probably getting better at pinch harmonics as a result. Fun song for sure, and easier than it sounds.

Just annoying as hell you have to retune to play it :argh: I really wish there was a way to say "gently caress it, I'm just gonna play in E standard". It wouldn't sound exactly right but it'd sound okay and as long as the note detection knew you were in E-standard instead of E-A434 it should be able to grade you fine.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I wonder if it's possible to inject a software pitch shifter between the USB cable and the recording device the game sees in Windows. Just something that tweaks the signal before the game gets it, but without interfering with the cable DRM

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

The cheap pitch shifter I use for downtuning also has a detune option that I have used succesfully for those songs. Behringer US600 (http://amzn.to/1GV5a9r)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Simone Poodoin posted:

The cheap pitch shifter I use for downtuning also has a detune option that I have used succesfully for those songs. Behringer US600 (http://amzn.to/1GV5a9r)

That is pretty cheap. Can most pitch shifters handle small shifts? I mostly seem them used in the context of like, dropping you from E to D tuning. But could you go from A440 E to A434 E?

Can it shift a few cents or is it just a few pitches up and down?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

quote:

PITCH SHIFTER: Adds a detuned signal to the original signal with a maximum of 2 octaves above or below. Use the PITCH control to select the degree of pitch shift (-24, -12, -7, -5, -2,-1, +3, +4, +5, +7, +12, +24).

DETUNE: Adds a subtle detuned signal to the original signal with a maximum of 30 centsabove or below (-30 C, -25 C, -20 C, -15 C, -10 C, -5 C, +5 C, +10 C, +15 C, +20 C, +25,+30 C). Use the PITCH control to adjust the amount of detuning and the D TIME/SPEEDcontrol to determine the delay time.

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/214444/Behringer-Us600.html

I use the pitch shifter function for drop tuning and the detune function for slight adjustments like those, it's not perfect but it's good enough for most songs

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
Starting to get chords down finally, I don't panic when I see one anymore. Now tremolos kill me, as I can't pick worth poo poo. Any good tutorials out there as to how to pick out the 32nd notes that Rocksmith demands?

Cousin Balki
Jan 31, 2002

TwoQuestions posted:

Starting to get chords down finally, I don't panic when I see one anymore. Now tremolos kill me, as I can't pick worth poo poo. Any good tutorials out there as to how to pick out the 32nd notes that Rocksmith demands?
Hurtlin' Hurdles is the answer. I don't care what level you are, if you spend 10-15 minutes warming up with that every time you practice you'll develop a ton of speed and accuracy with your picking. I start with it every time I fire up Rocksmith.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

TwoQuestions posted:

Get a Dunlop Jazz III pick, the thicker the better and practice slowly slicing the edge of the pick back and forth across the strings with the smallest, most relaxed wrist movement you can manage. Hold the pick between thumb and forefinger with just the tip poking out for maximum precision and set a metronome or pick along to a steady beat. Start slow at 60 bpm with downstrokes on the beat, up in between and work up to 120bpm. Then go back to 60 and play so every odd downstroke hits on the beat and work your way back up. Stay relaxed at all times and fight the urge to rush. It takes time but with a little practice you'll be good enough for Rocksmith. You can also try cycling your thumb joint in a circle which is a bit harder but practice both methods, stay loose and stop the moment you feel any pain. If you figure out both methods you can combine them to pick even faster.

Just watch out for RSI, pain or any grinding sensations as you can gently caress your hand up.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Main thing to realise is that tremolo isn't picking notes normally at high speed, it's its own technique where you're kinda making the pick hit against the string rapidly, but it's so fast that the timing sounds fine.

If you ever played button bashing games and realised you could hold your finger rigid and kinda vibrate your arm to go faster, that's one technique that works. Also playing closer to the bridge might help since the strings are a lot stiffer there

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
So I got my new MBA, but instead of using it for Rocksmith, my geriatric brain realized I could take the old crippled-held-together-with-duct-tape (not literally) MBA and just repurpose it as "dedicated Rocksmith machine". While I'm sure the new machine would be a marginally better experience, this has been pretty awesome because my tendency to just sit down and play has gone up exponentially now that I don't have to spend a whopping 45 seconds getting setup. I am so loving lazy. :effort:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

TwoQuestions posted:

Just practice alternate picking until you puke, then you're good.

Also try things like varying the angle of your picking hand, picking circularly, etc. Lots of tips on the 'net.

Alternatively play Painkiller by Judas Priest :rock:

Verizian posted:

Get a Dunlop Jazz III pick

Jazz III for Lyfe. Seriously once you try Dunlop Jazz picks nothing else compares.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Get the carbon fiber Jazz picks. They don't wear down at all!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitar-picks/dunlop-max-grip-jazz-iii-carbon-fiber-guitar-picks--24-pack

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
http://www.v-picks.com/product/farley/

:smug:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

These are by far my favorite pick.

Maide
Aug 21, 2008

There's a Starman waiting in the sky...
I really like these Clayton picks, they're larger than normal picks and can be used on any of their corners, letting them last a bit longer before needing to be thrown away/replaced. They come in a all the sizes you'd probably want.

http://www.amazon.com/Clayton-Acetal-Guitar-Picks-Select/dp/B0002D0PAA/

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Jazz III Ultex XL's. 6 in a pack for £4.99 and when they start to wear out you just scrape the edges on a bit of tough carpet to sharpen them up.

Biggest problem is friends nicking them when they realise they can strum wildly and use surgical precision for alternate picking with the XL size.

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010

Maide posted:

I really like these Clayton picks, they're larger than normal picks and can be used on any of their corners, letting them last a bit longer before needing to be thrown away/replaced. They come in a all the sizes you'd probably want.

http://www.amazon.com/Clayton-Acetal-Guitar-Picks-Select/dp/B0002D0PAA/

I would kill for some of these with the size and grip of a Jazz III.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Bachsmith II!!!!!!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

toymach1ne posted:

Bachsmith II!!!!!!

Oh my sweet, sleeping baby Jebus! I've played Fugue in G and Rondo Alla Turco a zillion times!

Edit: Do you have a source? I can't find anything on the official channels.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 14, 2015

Cousin Balki
Jan 31, 2002

Nocheez posted:

Oh my sweet, sleeping baby Jebus! I've played Fugue in G and Rondo Alla Turco a zillion times!

Edit: Do you have a source? I can't find anything on the official channels.
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1326318-Dan-s-clue-for-11-17-DLC/page10?s=19befe7a803fc48561f79de9bbb7b5f3

Should be pretty badass :clint:

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

More bachsmith? gently caress yes, each and every one of the songs from the first pack is in my top 10 most played.

Fugue is my favorite song to play in the entire game.

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

Simone Poodoin posted:

Does yours have a rattle when you shake it?

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6zOD7CaAZA this song is actually pretty fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Goons, I've recently started to really enjoy metal. August Burns Red is what really got me into it. Any DLC or CDLC I should look at?