Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
New page edit:2016 WRX 2.0

Oh, I was going to ask a question...

Where does the dipstick tube end in the pan? In the front of the sump or the rear, the middle? my driveway puts the nose up, which is perfect for a topside extraction if the dipstick tube terminates in the rear of the sump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Took my Impreza down some fire roads around Big Bear, CA. Everyone else was in a super lifted Jeep with $2500 worth of off-road lights. It was 90% just plain dirt roads. Then there were some rocky areas, I'm sure the 35" tires on those Jeeps let them just drive through, but for my barely 6" of clearance it was like rock crawling at times. It was fun. Only banged the rockers once or twice. I may have been on 3 wheels crossing a small washout.

Considering that Forester suspension swap, or at least a strut spacer.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

Bogatyr posted:

I have a 2016 WRX, first Subaru, first car since the mid 90s, been Ford trucks since then. I was done with trucks, completely done with Ford, the vehicles are fine, their service is garbage. Not totally divorced from Ford, I drive a Super Duty diesel at work. Great truck, still, their service can eat a dick. No more of my money.

No regrets though, I haven't enjoyed a car this much in a very long time. My parents had an 87 Grand National that for some reason I was allowed to drive. Totally different animal though, objectively if you look back at the GN, it's a bad car. But it had something that redeemed it, more than the sum of its parts... I also had a 70 Roadrunner that looked awesome, sounded awesome but musclecars are a money pit.

(overthinking incoming)
I have been reading up on oil for the thing. I don't drive the WRX to work so it is mostly short trips during the week, my understanding is that this is tough on the condition of the oil. Condensation and fuel that is normally burned off builds up. So just working with round numbers, I have the included oil changes every 6k from the dealer. I am going to change the oil on the 3k in between. Probably leave the filter for the 6k interval. Depending on sales at the time, somewhere between 30 and 40 bucks to do it myself. Oh, and this will be a topside oil change through the dipstick tube.

Given all that unnecessary backstory. This plan can be oil brand agnostic assuming 5w-30 full synthetic major brand. I have read things on oil shearing and whatnot but I think I am pretty safe with my plan and can safely shop by price. Walmart has Mobil1 for ~$26 for a 5qt jug right now but that may not always be the cheapest.

You might as well just set a pile of cash on fire and let the dealer handle your maintenance instead. A filter costs ~$6, and is an essential part of removing contamination from the lubrication system; at those intervals it's not a huge deal, but at the same time, if you're going through all that trouble, why half-rear end the maintenance and contaminate new oil?

If you don't plan on keeping this vehicle around for long, cheap is probably the way to go for oil, but around that price point, a few more dollars will really save you trouble in the long run.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009

McSpatula posted:

You might as well just set a pile of cash on fire and let the dealer handle your maintenance instead. A filter costs ~$6, and is an essential part of removing contamination from the lubrication system; at those intervals it's not a huge deal, but at the same time, if you're going through all that trouble, why half-rear end the maintenance and contaminate new oil?

If you don't plan on keeping this vehicle around for long, cheap is probably the way to go for oil, but around that price point, a few more dollars will really save you trouble in the long run.

I hadn't priced a filter, if a Subaru factory filter is 6 bucks, it's trivial additional work I am going to change it also.

Is your second paragraph still referring to contamination from the old filter or is there an oil brand issue to consider? Mobil1 is likely going to be my first choice.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
04 wrx. Went to crank it this morning. It turns over, maybe more rapidly than normal but hard to tell because it always starts so quickly normally. Has fuel pressure, timing belt is in good shape, maf is plugged in. Things I haven't done, pull the maf to look it at, check spark (because I spilled fuel on everything). I also haven't put the stock tune on it (had been running fine for forever on this tune, and my changes have just been correcting little issues.

mudstone
Jul 30, 2015
Guys... Wet Okole seat covers installed on my 2015 legacy and HOLY poo poo they are amazing. Completely tailored fit. front install was easy as poo poo. Rears were a pain in the balls. Comes with a cover for center console as well.

The rears fit like a glove and eve maintain the middle fold down arm rest and cup holders. They ran me 601$ shipped but honestly worth every penny in my opinion.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Winter wheels/tire chat for my 2016 Outback again.

My dealer said that it's a good idea to get a set of 17" wheels/tires (downsizing from the all season 18" wheels/tires). He said I'd "probably get a much better deal buying the wheels from a 3rd party rather than us". If I pick up a Tirerack suggested combo, do I still need to buy like... TPMS sensors for each wheel?

I will be doing the same thing when my WRX comes in. The dealership is going to install the new rims and tires and sync the TPMS for free. Now I just have to decide on rims from Tirerack, and some winter tires.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

My 2012 Impreza was wrecked into last week by a loving moron with no DL or insurance, good thing I have uninsured motorist coverage as my car is a total loss. Now to hunt for another manual to replace it once the check comes in next week.

Solosilent
Dec 16, 2005
Hey guys, I'm looking at replacing my clutch in my 2004 wrx. The throw out bearing started squealing... 4 years ago. Anyways, I'm trying to figure out if I should buy OEM or aftermarket. The engine is stock and I'm not planning on adding any power so I don't need a crazy clutch. I see the exedy oem replacement is decently cheap, but there's a lot of people that say it chatters and people who say it's perfect and never chatters. Anyone use this clutch? Or can anyone confirm they suck? I trust your opinions way more than I would NASIOC.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Solosilent posted:

Hey guys, I'm looking at replacing my clutch in my 2004 wrx. The throw out bearing started squealing... 4 years ago. Anyways, I'm trying to figure out if I should buy OEM or aftermarket. The engine is stock and I'm not planning on adding any power so I don't need a crazy clutch. I see the exedy oem replacement is decently cheap, but there's a lot of people that say it chatters and people who say it's perfect and never chatters. Anyone use this clutch? Or can anyone confirm they suck? I trust your opinions way more than I would NASIOC.

Ive used an oem replacement exedy and a more aggressive exedy and both worked fine for me.

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:
On my 02, I got an exedy oem replacement at 91k, has 171k on it now. I have a slight bit of chatter when it is cold outside on startup (below 60F) but the clutch still works great.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Well, the winter tires are on. I hope to God I never have to drive through conditions that would require the chains, which apparently have the ability to turn spontaneously into steel Gordian knots.

mudstone
Jul 30, 2015
what chains did you get? i might need a set heading up to the pecos.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

mudstone posted:

what chains did you get? i might need a set heading up to the pecos.

Should be these. Intentional overkill because I can't not get into the hospital if needed, but are they ever a bitch if tangled, and that's in fifty-degree weather without gloves on. Part of me wants to just stick them on my all seasons and flop the tires if we get weather where we'd need them, but the odds of needing them for the full trip are pretty low and I don't want to know what the ice breaker bar would do to pavement.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Should be these. Intentional overkill because I can't not get into the hospital if needed, but are they ever a bitch if tangled, and that's in fifty-degree weather without gloves on. Part of me wants to just stick them on my all seasons and flop the tires if we get weather where we'd need them, but the odds of needing them for the full trip are pretty low and I don't want to know what the ice breaker bar would do to pavement.

They destroy our already poor road system.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

They destroy our already poor road system.

Well, yeah. Hence not putting them on the all seasons for a quick swap since I doubt the entire 26 miles of pavement to work and back would be covered sufficiently by ice and pack snow. Same reason I don't stud the Generals -- too hard on our roads compared to the relatively few times I actually need the ice traction.

mudstone
Jul 30, 2015
did you get 2 sets? for the awd? The only point i would need them is when we go up skiing/snowshoeing.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Just on the front. It's in the manual.

If you are on an actual road in town or a highway, chances are you aren't going to need chains ever, assuming you have snow tires. The only time I would consider them is on narrow, not really maintained forest roads up in the mountains. They get steep and slippery and if you go off you might end up in a ravine.

Plus you're only supposed to drive like 30mph tops with them.

jamal fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 16, 2015

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

jamal posted:

Plus you're only supposed to drive like 30mph tops with them.

The best is watching people fly around at 60 with them on in the PNW. I can only imagine the NVH being insane at that speed.

mudstone
Jul 30, 2015
ya we would need them headed up pecos in the Santa Fe National forest... gets up to 12,000 ft and it's basically a forest road. Not maintained at all in winter and there are big yellow signs with lights that flash for chains req'd

Txiuct
May 27, 2006

United States Federal Bureau of Investigation - "We don't give a shit, holmes."
Ordered my blizzaks today. I've never gotten winter tires before but I'm driving a 80+ miles in a canyon/ mountainous area now and it feels like a good idea vs a set of all-seasons. How does everyone do winter tires regarding dedicated wheels for the winter tires and the tire-pressure monitoring system?

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
We have separate sets of winter and summer wheels for my wife's wrx and my sti. We ignore the TPMS light half the year. Around here it costs $60-70 to remount and balance for tire changes, so the wheels pay for themselves after a few years and its quicker for me to just change the wheels over in my garage.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
I have a 2007 Legacy. It doesn't like to start when it rains, but starts right up when it's dry out.

Any ideas?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
My old minivan had that issue when the ignition coil was old, and also when the ignition wires got old at sorta dry-rotted and it behaved similarly. On a dark, damp night I actually saw arcing with crank.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

tetrapyloctomy posted:

My old minivan had that issue when the ignition coil was old, and also when the ignition wires got old at sorta dry-rotted and it behaved similarly. On a dark, damp night I actually saw arcing with crank.

I'll give that a shot. Annoying part is I think it will be hard to duplicate the conditions. Just have to fix it up and wait till it rains, I guess.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I think I have a nice air bubble in my crossover tube. The temperature gauge is pegged at the bottom for like 5 minutes into my drive. I'm sure its not doing wonders for my fuel economy, as most of my trips are in the 5-7 mile range mutiple times a day with lots of cooldown time now rather than the 20 plus twice a day they used to be. Does this put me in any danger for fuel washdown or anything bad, or should I jump on this full force?

Edit- 99 Forester

Edit Deuce - Why would I get a random bubble in there? That seems... unlikely. Cripes.

Commodore_64 fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 18, 2015

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Txiuct posted:

Ordered my blizzaks today. I've never gotten winter tires before but I'm driving a 80+ miles in a canyon/ mountainous area now and it feels like a good idea vs a set of all-seasons. How does everyone do winter tires regarding dedicated wheels for the winter tires and the tire-pressure monitoring system?

Get whatever wheels you want and ignore the light if it comes on because those stupid things break all the time anyway.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I just stripped a lug nut on my 2011 WRX. Is there a good site online that will ship me 20 brand new OEM lug nuts? Driving to the dealer (or anywhere) is probably out of the question at this point. I'd also be OK with aftermarket lugs as long as they're comparable to OEM.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Amazon resells McGard lugnuts so you could probably swing that.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Did you strip the lug nut or the wheel stud?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Was a fun drive out in the ice and snow. Winnipeg just got hit with a nice beginning to winter, snow plus 50km/hr winds, gusting up to 90km/hr. Roads are crazy as drivers forgot all winter driving skills as usual. The ws80's on the forester are pretty great. I think the lockup on the center diff is pretty weak though, felt like a fwd with a tiny bit extra push from the back.

Anyone have experience driving an old auto subie in slippery conditions? I thought the electronic center diff would lock up more when the front is slipping. Tried giving it throttle on an icy patch and couldn't get the rear to break loose. Not sure if this is normal behaviour or 300k km on the trans has worn the center diff out.

I guess it's good that it's not binding at least.

E: If the weather isn't going to be terrible next week, or I can sneak into a buddies warmed garage, I think I'll do the Diff lock mod (Switch that cuts power to the center diff and has a dummy load for the TCM to be happy) Should give me control for when I want to mess around on slippery roads. Got to think of a good place to put the switch and indicator though. Don't want to accidentally run around in summer with the diff locked on dry pavement.

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 19, 2015

blargle
Apr 3, 2007

jamal posted:

Did you strip the lug nut or the wheel stud?

They're both stripped unfortunately. Seems impossible to find OEM lugs online, so I'll probably get that McGard set off Amazon.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Ho... How did you strip all of them? Or is it just one and you're changing all of them for the hell of it?

Should be obvious but just in case, change the stud before you put new lug nuts on.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Yup, I replaced the stud. The lugs are pretty corroded so I'd rather replace them all before it happens again on a different stud.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Replaced the ignition coil and spark plug wires, charged up the batter, and it started right up. Of course the weather is nice and dry today, so I don't know if it'll re-occur when it rains, but we'll see.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

blargle posted:

They're both stripped unfortunately. Seems impossible to find OEM lugs online, so I'll probably get that McGard set off Amazon.

There's nothing special about the oem lugs, but if you wanted them your best option would be a place like subarugenuineparts or another subaru parts dealer.

Or you can get something like this:
https://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop/product/kic-41885b-muteki-lug-nuts-12x1-25-closed-end-black

They also come in purple and chrome, and that site has a good selection of other lug nuts, and I can get most things there at a slight discount.

jamal fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 19, 2015

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Anyone have any experience with the EyeSight system in the fifth gen Legacy?

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Meydey posted:

So I have a friend at work with an 05 Impreza 2.5RS 4 door auto. He just found out the headgaskets are in the weeping stage need to be replaced. Was quoted at the dealer for $1200 just for the gaskets but he wants out of it now.
How hard are these to change to the metallic ones by a shade tree (me) mechanic? I have done the top end on a Mazda pickup, Toyota pickup and an accord timing belt before. I would also do timing belt, wp, etc.
I don't have the space to pull the engine, so I would try to do in place.

His car is pretty much stock with a new headunit, and 5k on a set Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3s. KBB says $3.5k trade-in, $4.8 private sell. Thinking of offering $3k cash now.
My plan would be to fix, drive it for a year, then give it to my daughter when she graduates next year.

Looks like I will be buying this after all. We settled on $3600 with the stereo included.

Debating now on pulling the block vs in-car hg replacement. How hard is it to pull an EJ254(?) from the auto transmission? I have never pulled an engine before but doing the work in my garage (1-car) vs a driveway job is very tempting. Plus I could do the rear main seal/oil baffle.
Would probably get a hoist of Craigslist, then resell. Is an engine mount needed or can I do the work on the floor?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Meydey posted:

Looks like I will be buying this after all. We settled on $3600 with the stereo included.

Debating now on pulling the block vs in-car hg replacement. How hard is it to pull an EJ254(?) from the auto transmission? I have never pulled an engine before but doing the work in my garage (1-car) vs a driveway job is very tempting. Plus I could do the rear main seal/oil baffle.
Would probably get a hoist of Craigslist, then resell. Is an engine mount needed or can I do the work on the floor?

Check out my project thread for subaru motor shenanigans. Engine stand makes things soooooooooo much easier to work on. You spin the thing around to get it oriented how you like, makes changing HG really easy. You can get away with doing it without a stand by supporting the motor from underneath with 2x4's and doing one side at a time. There's lots of guides online for how this procedure should be done so you've got lots of resources to figure it out. That said it's not really that difficult once you know what you're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
I like to think I am able to do the work. Just take every time estimate and multiple by 5.
I have heard it was harder to line up the transmission on an auto though when reinstalling it..