Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

lobsterminator posted:

Actually, it does hilight the items when you are really close, like when you are right next to it. The have a striped green overlay.

I have never seen this? I must not be paying attention? Weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceBanditos
Aug 29, 2006

Did you hear maracas?
So this may be an issue that someone else has run into... I'm trying to complete the Railroad quest chain (Tradecraft)... I collected the thing from the place and am supposed to meet Deacon back at the church.. problem is he wont spawn there and whenever I get close to the church the objective relocates half way across the map, if I move to the updated objective it will move back to the church, repeat forever..

Can I advance the chain via the console? How?

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

lobsterminator posted:

Actually, it does hilight the items when you are really close, like when you are right next to it. The have a striped green overlay.

EDIT: Here's an example of a hilighted leather on the ground:

What

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
So I'm not sure how scavenging works in your settlements? They auto scavenge with or without the scavenging bench, I think, but how do I know who is scavenging and what they have scavenged for me?

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
OK so some supermutants might've blown up the trader Lucas and I'm trying to find his corpse, but I see no traces and his Brahmin is just sitting in Tepines Bluff doing nothing (so I assume he's dead)

What's the best way to find a random corpse? Dogmeat doesn't seem to be finding anything with Item or Container search.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011
For people confused about the highlighting materials thing above: the in-world highlight only applies if you have rank two of the Scrapper perk.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sekenr posted:

Whats the deal with the quarry? Considering that it took some effort to design and draw this thing it has surprisingly lackluster story, or even lack of story. Basically you drain the quarry for some caps and after you come back, it's full of raiders who built mirelurk farms and Sully is now the boss. Is that that it? Did I miss something? It just seems kinda dumb.

That was the point. If you read his computer, he even says that he wants to drain it so he can use it as his raider base.

frajaq posted:

Why the gently caress do BoS Vertibirds keep exploding randomly on air?? Did Lockheed Martin built them?

They crash into poo poo. Seriously look at them try to engage an enemy on the ground. The animation is hilarious and all sorts of janky as it moves awkwardly to get into position.

Also their armor is made of paper and anything can shoot them down without much effort.

The ospreys vertibirds are a deathtrap

PunkBoy posted:

Do your companions have any sort of affinity with a certain weapon type, or should I just give them whatever?

Use whatever

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Gully Foyle posted:

Lone Wanderer is fantastic if you don't want a companion. I decided I liked the idea of wandering the wastes alone with my dog. 30% reduced damage and +100 carry weight for two points is huge. Looking forward to +25% damage, but I need level 40 for that. And Dogmeat can carry poo poo too.

Is there some kind of carry weight limit I don't know about? I was at 325 with armor mods and I took the second rank in Lone Wanderer but I didn't get an extra 100 pounds of carry weight. I also found a perk magazine that was supposed to give me an extra 10 pounds, but my carrying capacity hasn't significantly changed.

Andrast posted:

How are people running out of ammo in this loving game? I have so much loving ammo that I could throw like 80% of it away and still be set for the rest of the playthrough

For me it was more about ammo type. I was constantly running out of ammo I actually used, but had a shitload of the ammo I never touched. For some reason the game seems hellbent on throwing .38 at me constantly even though I never used it, so if I need to buy any I just sell off however many hundreds of .38 rounds I need to break even. Like even selling them off 200-300 at a time I still have well over 1000 .38 rounds at all times. :shrug:

Once I put a point into Scrounger and got a little more confident that I could explore without getting killed, ammo stopped being as much of an issue.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

Aishan posted:

For people confused about the highlighting materials thing above: the in-world highlight only applies if you have rank two of the Scrapper perk.

Thanks. I was frantically looking around in my options, seeing if I missed something. Oh well, gotta wait till lvl 23.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Icedude posted:

I keep seeing this hint pop up every Bethesda game since Oblivion, but has it ever actually worked? Ever?

Yeah, in New Vegas there were two guys in Westside who were selling people to the Fiends so I loaded up my shotgun with Dragon Breath shells and shot them one time each, and then put the gun away to watch them to burn to death. The fire effect wore off with like 5HP left and because I'd holstered my weapon they didn't retaliate.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

lobsterminator posted:

EDIT: Here's an example of a hilighted leather on the ground:

This is happening because of Rank 2 of Scrapper.

quote:

You can salvage rare components like circuitry, nuclear material, and fiber optics when scrapping weapons and armor. Items with improved components are highlighted

Its not just stuff you have tagged. It will also highlight containers that have items with improved components as well.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Icedude posted:

I keep seeing this hint pop up every Bethesda game since Oblivion, but has it ever actually worked? Ever?
it was in morrowind and they didn't bother to comment it out

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Digital_Jesus posted:

The same way as damage resistance on not-power armor.

It can't be.

According to testing, a 50 damage rifle does 25ish damage if you have 50 physical resistance so outside the suit it must be out of 100, but inside the suit it's out of, what, 1000? 2000?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

So I'm not sure how scavenging works in your settlements? They auto scavenge with or without the scavenging bench, I think, but how do I know who is scavenging and what they have scavenged for me?

You assign someone to the scavenging station. But I'm not sure why you'd need to know, wouldn't it all just go into your workbench like purified water and crops do?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Ak Gara posted:

It can't be.

According to testing, a 50 damage rifle does 25ish damage if you have 50 physical resistance so outside the suit it must be out of 100, but inside the suit it's out of, what, 1000? 2000?

The in-game help menu ("damage" section) says that "Damage resistance is displayed as a number. If that number is equal to the damage value of an incoming attack, the damage you will suffer is reduced by 50%". It probably means that damage resistance has diminishing returns (i.e. 10 times more damage resistance doesn't mean 10 times less damage). It's also possible that there is some sort of hard limit on how much the damage can be reduced. If for example the incoming damage is 20 and your DR is 500 in the power armor, you will still lose say 4 HP (20%).

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 15, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Ak Gara posted:

It can't be.

There's a diminishing returns effect. You take ~10-20% of regular damage against most sources while in power armor, 50-65% of regular damage against most sources with full combat armor and a small subtraction effect which seems to make small damage weapons deal 0.1 damage (effective damage reduction is capped at 99%)

AgentJR
Jun 5, 2011

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
I just overheard some raiders tell a story about some dude who was wandering the wasteland making motorcycle noises, including gearshifting, and pretend threw a grenade at them as they passed. They were so amused they just let him "ride" on by. The ambient conversations in this game may have the best writing of anything so far, maybe even on par with games like Max Payne.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bob NewSCART posted:

Is there a way to go through my inventory and scrap poo poo without going to each respective crafting bench for armor and weapons and only being able to scrap the ones you can mod??

I generally go to a flat area, throw it all on the ground, and use the build interface to scrap it all

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

LumberingTroll posted:

The in-game help menu ("damage" section) says that "Damage resistance is displayed as a number. If that number is equal to the damage value of an incoming attack, the damage you will suffer is reduced by 50%". It probably means that damage resistance has diminishing returns (i.e. 10 times more damage resistance doesn't mean 10 times less damage). It's also possible that there is some sort of hard limit on how much the damage can be reduced. If for example the incoming damage is 20 and your DR is 500 in the power armor, you will still lose say 4 HP (20%).
...that means they used the Morrowind system :allears:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

AgentJR posted:

I just overheard some raiders tell a story about some dude who was wandering the wasteland making motorcycle noises, including gearshifting, and pretend threw a grenade at them as they passed. They were so amused they just let him "ride" on by. The ambient conversations in this game may have the best writing of anything so far, maybe even on par with games like Max Payne.

Even their combat dialogue is better. Unlike previous games, they actually seem to notice (at least briefly) if you kill somebody instead of going "Well guess it was nothing :downs: " and sitting back down next to a corpse.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

DR scales poorly. Power Armor has a lot of DR because its the only way to make the suit decently more effective than just player equipped armor slots. Not really a hard thing to figure out.

For those of you having issues getting hosed up by the Children of Atom all you need to do is equip a hazmat suit then walk around punching them in the face at your leisure.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

AgentJR posted:

I feel really bad whenever I hear a Raider go "I can't do this anymore. I'm going to get out as soon as I can." :smith:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Kimmalah posted:

Even their combat dialogue is better. Unlike previous games, they actually seem to notice (at least briefly) if you kill somebody instead of going "Well guess it was nothing :downs: " and sitting back down next to a corpse.

They have a bunch of power armor specific lines I've heard which is neat as well, plus this might just be me imagining it, but it felt like dudes actually tried harder to get back/get behind things when I was stomping around as Iron Man too.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

...that means they used the Morrowind system :allears:

Pretty muich.

The in game help menu is actually VERY useful.
You have to be in a loaded game to see it though as in, not at the title menu.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Anyone have trouble getting Nick to hack some terminals? Is this a known bug? He'll do some but others I can't even ask him too. Strange.

Also, I planted all of my Muttfruit and now the bushes aren't can't be interacted with and I can't assign anyone too them. Dumb

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

it was in morrowind and they didn't bother to comment it out

I don't remember this being a thing in Morrowind at all, but you could certainly get guards and friendlies to stop attacking you in Oblivion and Skyrim if you put your weapon away and your bounty wasn't at 'no deal, you die' levels.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

PunkBoy posted:

I feel really bad whenever I hear a Raider go "I can't do this anymore. I'm going to get out as soon as I can." :smith:

I heard one say something like "Just try not to think about it," like they were having bad flashbacks about a person they'd killed.

omg chael crash posted:

Anyone have trouble getting Nick to hack some terminals? Is this a known bug? He'll do some but others I can't even ask him too. Strange.

Also, I planted all of my Muttfruit and now the bushes aren't can't be interacted with and I can't assign anyone too them. Dumb

How long has it been? The plants need time to grow the fruit before you can harvest them. Mutfruit does seem a little unique though, since it never shows up in my workbench the way corn and tatos do.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
For the sake of future builds, does a Plasma gun become a heavy weapon with the flamer mod, or does it remain a pistol or rifle?

^^^Go to one of your guys in construction mode, when you highlight them stuff they are assigned to will also be highlighted. Hit X (on PS4) on them, then go to the plant, highlight it and hit X again to assign. I don't know how you were supposed to know that either.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

omg chael crash posted:

Just to be sure, you are assigning them from the build mode, right?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Man Hangman's Alley is going to make for a cool base of operations. It's small but really vertical and comes pre-equipped with some guardposts and benches.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

PunkBoy posted:

And then you shoot them and take their 10 .38 rounds, stimpak and 3 bottle caps.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

BizarroAzrael posted:

For the sake of future builds, does a Plasma gun become a heavy weapon with the flamer mod, or does it remain a pistol or rifle?

^^^Go to one of your guys in construction mode, when you highlight them stuff they are assigned to will also be highlighted. Hit X (on PS4) on them, then go to the plant, highlight it and hit X again to assign. I don't know how you were supposed to know that either.

I've assigned people to my mutfruit plants, but I still have to harvest them myself unlike the other crops. It's not really a huge hassle though.

The only way you'd know is by highlighting someone and happening to notice the Command prompt, unless there was one of those "blink and you'll miss it" tutorials about it.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

MisterBibs posted:

I'm the same way. I want a disembodied goddamned dot on the screen telling me where my shot is going. Iron sights takes that away and replaces it with a physical object that kinda points out where the shot is going (but not really, since it could be this line of the object, or the top of this part, or the side of this part), and prolly blocks the thing I'm trying to see. Telling that the best scopes in the game basically remove iron sights and replace it with a proper Basic Dot.

Iron sights is yet another example of a stupid idea that people justify as benefiting the immersion of a game, forgetting that every gameplay decision benefitting immersion is a stupid one.

From a few pages back but you do know that third person mode does just this, right? I like iron sights in games (because it reminds me of shooting real guns, even though real life shooting is slightly tougher) but I always want to be ready to capture a neat screenshot and I like seeing my angry sniper lady's hair bob all over the place.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Iceshade posted:

And then you shoot them and take their 10 .38 rounds, stimpak and 3 bottle caps.

I feel really bad when I use that stimpack.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
A load of Radscorpions just invaded Sanctuary, nice to see that my Settlers who didn't have guns were just punching them.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

This game is gonna be great a year from now after modders make it fun. I expect it to fully replicate The Sims and I can just build a settlement full of happy people cheating on their spouses and forget there was ever a nuclear war.

Even now, after being on a long shooty mans spree, it's nice to return to your settlement and to some mindless housework.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Snackula posted:

The castle bossfight really showcases how poorly the inventory system fits with the way the game plays now. You're running your rear end off, dodging poo poo, firing missi- wait my health's below 40% let me go into pipboi and sloowly pick out the specific healing item I want out of a giant list. Like holy poo poo it's an actual exciting (if overly aggravating) boss battle in a Bethesda game but being forced to pause it every twelve seconds to do inventory management is infuriating and I ended up just randomly clicking items and getting addicted to every drug in the world.

you can favorite items like stim packs and use them as quickly as you can press down on the d-pad > A :ssh:

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

ToxicAcne posted:

What settings should I drop to get my gt 760 to a consistent 60 fps? Right now I have everything at high except for godrays (low) and SSAO (off). My fps drops to 45 sometimes, especially in diamond city, and forested areas.

Lower your shadows, that was the biggest boost for me.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

lobsterminator posted:

This game is gonna be great a year from now after modders make it fun. I expect it to fully replicate The Sims and I can just build a settlement full of happy people cheating on their spouses and forget there was ever a nuclear war.

Even now, after being on a long shooty mans spree, it's nice to return to your settlement and to some mindless housework.

Just waiting for the day when I can have a list of Settlers and remotely control assignments and equipment. Also clipping and fences like the ones at Covenant. Some sort of strategic view to see your supply routes would be pro, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Generation Internet posted:

Just waiting for the day when I can have a list of Settlers and remotely control assignments and equipment. Also clipping and fences like the ones at Covenant. Some sort of strategic view to see your supply routes would be pro, too.

Should be a button to see this on the map screen. It's C on PC by default iirc.

• Locked thread