Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Gorefluff posted:

Re: ammo, the game is weird about it. I have a group of friends playing and three of us are in the scarcity camp, hauling around 4 or 5 guns to switch between ammo types. One dude regularly finds 1000+ rounds on single dead enemies. None of us have the scavenger perk. So yeah it's feast or famine depending on some bizarre bug or random factors we can figure out.

If you are not being hyperbolic and he's finding literally THOUSANDS of rounds on one enemy without Scavenger that is either a bug or he's lying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Curie gives you free Stimpacks and Radaways. 10/10 best companion.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I really miss DT. DR is annoying in this game compared to FO3 with all the gigantic numbers. I want NV's calculations back, wearing 10ish DT armor knowing I can shrug off shotgun fire and other weak stuff was fun.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It's all in how you build your character. If you have maxed-out Adamantium Skeleton, you're immune to limb damage and stimpacks are only as good as any other healing food item. A character specced for Medic won't need as much of the stuff in the Endurance tree but will be more dependent on their specific meds.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I've been rolling with Cait, mostly because I haven't found too many other companions yet but she doesn't scold me when I pick locks and general scavenging unknowingly made her really fond of me. She does like to comment on me picking up junk all the time. I need this surgical tray, okay? :colbert:

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The Walrus posted:

but no seriously, how do they have such a killer lighting system on the character models, and just zero shadows. is it a bug? will there be a shadows dlc? I don't know but it's weird.

like look at the shadows on my back when I move just a couple feet. it's awesome. shadows would make it so much better

The Iron Rose posted:

the pipboy, by default, doesn't cast shadows. everything else does and you can install a mod to fix it (scroll up several posts from yours)

That's not a pipboy light, it's a streetlight. There are literally no shadows being cast from the player character. Need to do some more testing but I don't think there's dynamic lighting at all, or at least it's very selectively applied. Was in a coolly illuminated subway car and all the shadows were baked right in.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

hemale in pain posted:

Gonna have a million stimpacks anyway. Those things are everywhere, game really needs to tone down the amount by a ton.

I guess my point is it's one of convinenence. I never have to heal myself, or carry around food or other healing type items. More inventory weight for something else.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

So did someone already break out the ol' THE ENDS ARE BAD banner ad and link it to here

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

JoshTheStampede posted:

If you are not being hyperbolic and he's finding literally THOUSANDS of rounds on one enemy without Scavenger that is either a bug or he's lying.

I've found several hundred 5mms on a few guys but that's it

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Speedball posted:

It's all in how you build your character. If you have maxed-out Adamantium Skeleton, you're immune to limb damage and stimpacks are only as good as any other healing food item. A character specced for Medic won't need as much of the stuff in the Endurance tree but will be more dependent on their specific meds.

You still need stims later on since they scale with your health and food doesn't.

Gorefluff
Aug 19, 2004
cuddly minotaur

JoshTheStampede posted:

Not thousands, but over a thousand. He's sent me pics of the finds and his perk list so I know he's not lying. It's a weird bug. Some players don't have any need for ammo, most people are almost always riding the edge.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Gorefluff posted:

Not thousands, but over a thousand. He's sent me pics of the finds and his perk list so I know he's not lying. It's a weird bug. Some players don't have any need for ammo, most people are almost always riding the edge.

Yeah people here are talking about the game being too easy on ammo but I have Scavenger 1 and am usually ok but go through dry spells where I have no energy cells at all if it's been a while since I did a "clear out a warehouse full of synths" quest.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

JoshTheStampede posted:

Scrounger is the perk that gives you more ammo. I have it up to level 2 I think and I still have never found more than maybe 50 rounds of a particular type in any given container or on a body. Sometimes they'll have multiple types, but still not 1000.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
Also a difference in playstyle. If you use weak, full-auto guns you blast through all your ammo. If you use strong, semi-autos, you'll be swimming in ammo. I sort of get it, balance dictates that you can't have full-auto modifications that do the same damage as the semi-auto variant (if this was a mmo), but jesus there seems to be no middle ground.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

The Walrus posted:

That's not a pipboy light, it's a streetlight. There are literally no shadows being cast from the player character. Need to do some more testing but I don't think there's dynamic lighting at all, or at least it's very selectively applied. Was in a coolly illuminated subway car and all the shadows were baked right in.

oh.

well I'm dumb, carry on.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Iceshade posted:

Also a difference in playstyle. If you use weak, full-auto guns you blast through all your ammo. If you use strong, semi-autos, you'll be swimming in ammo. I sort of get it, balance dictates that you can't have full-auto modifications that do the same damage as the semi-auto variant (if this was a mmo), but jesus there seems to be no middle ground.

I never touched an auto/semo-auto gun but ammo was a huge problem for the early part of the game. Gun choice is definitely a factor, but some of it does seem to boil down to luck of the draw.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
This game needs more light doodads to build!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Gorefluff posted:

Re: ammo, the game is weird about it. I have a group of friends playing and three of us are in the scarcity camp, hauling around 4 or 5 guns to switch between ammo types. One dude regularly finds 1000+ rounds on single dead enemies. None of us have the scavenger perk. So yeah it's feast or famine depending on some bizarre bug or random factors we can figure out.
I have been playing Fallout games for close to 20 years. I am pretty sure I've played every one of them (didn't beat Tactics because it bugged, or the PSX BoS game because it was heinous garbage) and I've never seen an enemy drop 1000+ ammo (unless it was in the original games and it was some weird turret that was suppsed to have that much).

I call bullshit on your buddy (he's probably cheating it in and then making up a retarded story to maintain his e-samurai cred or some poo poo). The rest of you are just terrible shots though. What difficulty are you on?

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 15, 2015

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Maybe it's a difficulty level thing, on VH I'm having to sell guns just to feed my bullet addiction.

The 'Endless' series of legendary weapons make great companion guns.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Are there any good SweetFX/ENB presets out yet?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Imaginary Friend posted:

This game needs more light doodads to build!

Yeah specifically there's no large outdoor lighting that will actually light an open area at night. Those constriction lights are worthless.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

jfood posted:

Maybe it's a difficulty level thing, on VH I'm having to sell guns just to feed my bullet addiction.

The 'Endless' series of legendary weapons make great companion guns.
On V Hard it's definitely a lot trickier, I find myself adding points to stealth and using mines regularly, whereas I usually would just walk in crouched and then kill everything dead with successively larger guns as enemies close in on me. ;)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

JoshTheStampede posted:

You still need stims later on since they scale with your health and food doesn't.

True! Good thinking. Your health points still go up every time you level, right?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yeah specifically there's no large outdoor lighting that will actually light an open area at night. Those constriction lights are worthless.

I found a bunch of futuristic lights by reading a magazine I found in a place

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Zore posted:

Man, this is making me miss my New Vegas playthrough with the Robot Race mod and the Robco Certified mod (which let you build a small army of various robot followers).

I sort of want to stop playing and come back in a year or so to do a 'MAXIMUM ROBOT' playthrough.

"You ain't a SYNTH are ya?"

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
I wonder how many people work at Bethesda. Like six. One programmer who is also the writer and five people who hang around

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If anyone wants to indulge in their base-building fantasies, Spectacle Island is enormous.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

moist turtleneck posted:

Just another day in Sanctuary

Took me forever to figure out where the mooing was coming from

Try having converted that room into a disco dance floor and seeing it in there staring back out at you.

drat that was surreal. Apparently Brahmin can catch disco fever.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
You can actually tell that a whole bunch of people work at Beth, all their games have a "designed by committee" stink to them.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

JoshTheStampede posted:

I feel that they really did a bang-up job with the consumable aid items this time precisely because some items are more valuable at different parts of the game. I rarely use stimpacks unless I'm really in a bad spot and I've begun to get used to which food items give me which bonuses, so I'm actually looking forward to being another 10-20 levels higher and no longer needing to rely on mutt chops, but still keeping a stack of radstag steaks and poo poo on hand.

Keeping a +encumberance item and some booze/buffout around really helps save time when fast traveling back to base with a full inventory load of loot. ;)

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

coyo7e posted:

On V Hard it's definitely a lot trickier, I find myself adding points to stealth and using mines regularly, whereas I usually would just walk in crouched and then kill everything dead with successively larger guns as enemies close in on me. ;)

V Hard here, using only semi-autos because damage output. Swimming in ammo. No scrounger.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

whaley posted:

I wonder how many people work at Bethesda. Like six. One programmer who is also the writer and five people who hang around

You're thinking of their voice acting casts.

Grimshak
Oct 8, 2013

I know you need the meat, girl, but damn.

Lady Naga posted:

Are there any good SweetFX/ENB presets out yet?

There's this one: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/40/

Not bad, but may be TOO vibrant.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Maybe the weapon stuff is to do with where people are? People finding hundreds/thousands on single people are definitely having something weird, I've got scrounger and I'm still having to manage my energy cells and shotgun shells, and I suspect if I didn't have a huge bank of .50 rounds I'd be managing those too - how come I was finding so many of them at low levels before I had any chance of a gun that used them?

When I'm running around the glowing sea and most things I fight are animals that don't drop ammo, I'm chewing through a lot. Likewise, if I'm in a tougher area where it's taking 5+ shots from my pimped out laser rifle to kill people, I can be using more than I pick up. If I'm fighting raiders or gunners, I'm probably getting a lot of bullets and no energy weapon ammo, or the reverse if I'm fighting synths or brotherhood. Nearer sanctuary everything dies in one or two shots so it takes way, way longer to go through my ammo backlog, and I might well be picking up more than I put out.

People having real trouble after investing in scrounger or people finding huge amounts probably are seeing weird behaviour, but I'd suspect that gameplay habits are causing a lot of it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Is there supposed to be a "right way" to take out the Mirelurk Queen?

Every time I got hit by one of the poison balls it would do 80% of my health. I eventually beat her by hanging back in the fort and sniping over and over again while she was distracted with someone else. Maybe I was just underleveled, I dunno. Nothing up to that point seemed particularly difficult.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

PantsBandit posted:

Is there supposed to be a "right way" to take out the Mirelurk Queen?

Every time I got hit by one of the poison balls it would do 80% of my health. I eventually beat her by hanging back in the fort and sniping over and over again while she was distracted with someone else. Maybe I was just underleveled, I dunno. Nothing up to that point seemed particularly difficult.

There is one way to make the fight trivial, cripple her legs.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Can you no longer heal individual limbs and whatnot in the pipboy or am I missing something? playing on xbone.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

super macho dude posted:

Can you no longer heal individual limbs and whatnot in the pipboy or am I missing something? playing on xbone.

Taking a stimpack automatically heals your broken limb(s).

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I found Yes Man in Fallout 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Iceshade posted:

V Hard here, using only semi-autos because damage output. Swimming in ammo. No scrounger.
Yeah, maybe mention what level you are and how much you've explored? Because it definitely gets exponentially easier :downs:

The first time you run into a legendary glowing one and two legendary ferals at the same time and the best weapon you've got is a sawed off and two mines though..

Or maybe you mean "yeah I've got 1400 rounds of .38 ammo (and 100-150 of everything else and I'm one dungeon away from being tapped out) which is what my experience has been. I mainly take out half of the enemies in any given area with sneaking suppressed headshots, and I'm still not "swimming in ammo. no scrounger".

Is "no scrounger" going to be the new :smugdog::pipe: itt?

• Locked thread