Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

According to Sweetwater Moog is having trouble sourcing components for the Mother 32. Ship dates are starting to slip a few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

magiccarpet posted:

According to Sweetwater Moog is having trouble sourcing components for the Mother 32. Ship dates are starting to slip a few weeks.

First batch already shipped though, right? I'm avoiding GC for this reason.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Yes they've been going out, just slower than expected.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
My MS-20 mini came in yesterday! :swoon:

There was a little hiccup in shipping, so I wanted to check with the thread that everything is working as intended. The pulse wave disappears when the width is dialed past 2:00. Sometimes the sample and hold has its values stuck when I'm triggering from the keyboard (tried a paraphony patch from youtube).

Other than that, I'm having a blast!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Both working as intended. The pulse wave thing is a fuckup carried over from the original model and just adds to the general enigma that is the MS-20.

The sticky S&H, if I'm reading you correct, is because it's not really a sample and hold but a track and hold. When the gate is high, the S&H just lets the input signal through unaltered, but then holds the value when it goes low.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Good to know. Thanks!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Is the MS-20 mini the smarter buy over the 20m? It's so much cheaper new and pre-owned specimens regularly go for less than $400.

The 20m seems to be a lot more versatile and it's clearly 'the best MS-20' but I genuinely wonder how much of that on-paper benefit would translate into real-life usability. And is it worth the $800-$1k that could be saved or spent on other gear?

I wish Korg would drop the 20m's 'Special Edition' status, make its chassis dimensions Eurorack compatible, and price it more in line with the MS-20 Mini/Mother 32. It's not an unreasonable proposition and they would sell a bajillion of them.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Tayter Swift posted:

The sticky S&H, if I'm reading you correct, is because it's not really a sample and hold but a track and hold. When the gate is high, the S&H just lets the input signal through unaltered, but then holds the value when it goes low.

Wow, that's odd. Is there a way to generate a sub-audiorate impulse signal on board to make it behave like S&H?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

sliderule posted:

Wow, that's odd. Is there a way to generate a sub-audiorate impulse signal on board to make it behave like S&H?

Use a very short pulse for the control and it'll work like a typical S&H. For example patch in the pulse LFO and set the waveform most of the way clockwise.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I wish Korg would drop the 20m's 'Special Edition' status, make its chassis dimensions Eurorack compatible, and price it more in line with the MS-20 Mini/Mother 32. It's not an unreasonable proposition and they would sell a bajillion of them.

Oh god yes I would buy one immediately. I have no idea why the desktop kit is over twice the price of the mini. is it really that different inside?

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

cubicle gangster posted:

is it really that different inside?

korg.com posted:

oscillator sync, FM, two filters (pre and post), and PWM...CV IN that supports both Hz/V and V/Oct
Dunno if that is worth twice the money, but that's the difference.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Is the MS-20 mini the smarter buy over the 20m? It's so much cheaper new and pre-owned specimens regularly go for less than $400.

The mini has the type 1 filter which sucks. The module has switchable filter plus a couple of other bits that can make it sound like a MS50.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

0dB posted:

The mini has the type 1 filter which sucks. The module has switchable filter plus a couple of other bits that can make it sound like a MS50.

Is it just the Type 1? I thought the Mini was the one with the internal jumper that forces you to choose one from the outset/take the unit apart to switch the filter between Rev 1/2.

Or am I incorrect and is that limited only to the full-size keyboard body reissue?

Is the rev 1 filter that bad as to not be worth it? I think I'd prefer the rev 2 from the comparisons I've researched but making both filters accessible seems like a real perk to the module.

I guess there's always iMS20 if I decide that I need ultimate bang/buck for MS-20 sounds. A pair of Mother 32s or an Odyssey or any collection of good, cheaper synths may be more worth the premium that a new module kit commands. I honestly don't know.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I was visiting Chicago and visited Nerd Audio. Cool shop with some nice people and now I kinda want an OP-1. A+ would recommend.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

0dB posted:

It doesn't suck. It sounds fine.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Oldstench posted:

It doesn't suck. It sounds fine.

Yeah, rev 1 is fine and I prefer it to rev 2. It's not like there is a huge difference between them like the Odyssey filters anyway.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

net work error posted:

I was visiting Chicago and visited Nerd Audio. Cool shop with some nice people and now I kinda want an OP-1. A+ would recommend.
I just bought one (gently used) from a guy locally last night. He was getting rid of it in order to get cash towards an Octatrack.

I haven't fully dove in yet, but I will say that within less than five minutes of having it at home, I was doing interesting fun things with it that were very immediate, and I liked that tight feedback loop. The fact it's so small and "all in the box" is really nice for that sort of thing. We'll see if this honeymoon lasts.

I think I'm done buying (hardware) synths for a little while now...

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Is it just the Type 1? I thought the Mini was the one with the internal jumper that forces you to choose one from the outset/take the unit apart to switch the filter between Rev 1/2.

Or am I incorrect and is that limited only to the full-size keyboard body reissue?

Is the rev 1 filter that bad as to not be worth it? I think I'd prefer the rev 2 from the comparisons I've researched but making both filters accessible seems like a real perk to the module.

I guess there's always iMS20 if I decide that I need ultimate bang/buck for MS-20 sounds. A pair of Mother 32s or an Odyssey or any collection of good, cheaper synths may be more worth the premium that a new module kit commands. I honestly don't know.

Muffwiggler says just the Type 1 on the mini, there was a rumor there'd be both at NAMM 2013 (with the jumper like on the kit) but apparently it got cut. PWM seems easy to mod in at least though.

Anyone have any good MS-20 filter comparisons? How do they compare to each other/the Microbrute?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Sonicstate did a comparison of the two MS-20 filters in their rundown of either the desktop model or the U-Build-It version from 2014; check their YouTube channel.

I don't have one of the ones with the Rev 2 filter but my understanding is that it doesn't have that insane squeal that the Rev 1 can do (and which is much of its appeal), but also isn't as noisy. There's a lot of hiss on the Mini when the LPF is low.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Thanks, that's perfect - about halfway through here for anyone else looking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcBPnOtsyp4

I think I like 1 better but I'd rather have both.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
There's a free Roland JV2080 sample pack from Legowelt on his (amazing!) homepage: http://awolfe.home.xs4all.nl/

wayfinder fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Nov 13, 2015

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
So this came in today:

I love it! It's great for splitting/mixing signals on the MS-20.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I have like three of those things but they don't get nearly as much use as they should. I need to put them somewhere obvious so I actually reach for them instead of thinking "hurr mults don't exist"

Quick word of caution -- unbuffered mults like the rockstar drop voltage so they're generally no Bueno in situations where voltage accuracy is critical, such as pitch. For LFOs and such tho it's no big deal.

The Yellow King
Jul 18, 2001

The poster formerly unknown as Mr. Gybe

Tayter Swift posted:

Quick word of caution -- unbuffered mults like the rockstar drop voltage so they're generally no Bueno in situations where voltage accuracy is critical, such as pitch. For LFOs and such tho it's no big deal.

I know that is true in theory, but I don't think it's ever been a problem for me, even with pitch. I only have 1x3 multiples, so maybe that's why?

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I got a glitch on the following patch:

Keyboard CV + LFO -> Osc 2 Pitch

The goal was vibrato in a single oscillator for ring mod shenanigans, which mostly worked. It was fine on the lower end of the keyboard, but the pitch scaling messed up at the high end. The weirdest part was that the LFO started to bleed into Osc 1 at the high end as well. Increase oscillator octaves, play lower keyboard: problem solved. :shrug:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I've been interested in buying a synth in the <$1,000 range for while and I'm considering it soon. I've been looking around to see what kind of quality I can find and a few I like are the Microbrute, Microkorg (maybe, convince me why I should avoid it), the MS-20 Mini, and the OP-1. My musical aims lie somewhere between Tangerine Dream, Zombi, Sinoia Caves, and various dreamy soundscape ambient whatever stuff. I don't have an interest in producing any kind of edm or whatever is in every youtube demo I keep finding. As you've probably noticed I'm not 100% set for any of the synths mentioned so I'm looking for input and suggestions to check out. Thanks!

e: forgot to mention a fairly important point. I'm looking for a synth that can be as all in one/singular as possible. I'd prefer to use it as I would something like a guitar and not have to feel like I need a computer running nearby all the time. Shouldn't be an issue with any I mentioned but I've seen some that people like to run in tandem.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 15, 2015

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Kilometers Davis posted:

I've been interested in buying a synth in the <$1,000 range for while and I'm considering it soon. I've been looking around to see what kind of quality I can find and a few I like are the Microbrute, Microkorg (maybe, convince me why I should avoid it), the MS-20 Mini, and the OP-1. My musical aims lie somewhere between Tangerine Dream, Zombi, Sinoia Caves, and various dreamy soundscape ambient whatever stuff. I don't have an interest in producing any kind of edm or whatever is in every youtube demo I keep finding. As you've probably noticed I'm not 100% set for any of the synths mentioned so I'm looking for input and suggestions to check out. Thanks!

e: forgot to mention a fairly important point. I'm looking for a synth that can be as all in one/singular as possible. I'd prefer to use it as I would something like a guitar and not have to feel like I need a computer running nearby all the time. Shouldn't be an issue with any I mentioned but I've seen some that people like to run in tandem.

I have an OP-1 and while I love it, it's not warm enough to get into Tangerine Dream territory. If you want to mess around with step sequencers you can take a peek at the RM1x https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6-1nIt7Oj4 which you can find used for 150-200 bucks. If you can afford it you can take a peek at Elektron gear https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRpH5Ij6CfM.

I find step sequencers more fun to experiment with but you'd be hard pressed to get me to give up my OP-1, which isn't really forgiving. This is about the warmest I could get mine to sound without going into sampling: https://soundcloud.com/adamconcept/departures. That being said it has a built in rechargeable battery, is super portable, and very versatile otherwise.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Microbrute would do nicely with the built in sequencer for TD type stuff. Supplement it with a poly synth you can find cheap. Wouldnt recommend the microkorg but you could get it cheap and probably get some decent patches out of it if you didn't have many other options.

Not sure what your set up will be but consider a stereo reverb box and run it all through there. Reverb can make otherwise boring patches interesting/dreamy.

Fors Yard fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 15, 2015

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

WorldWarWonderful posted:

I have an OP-1 and while I love it, it's not warm enough to get into Tangerine Dream territory. If you want to mess around with step sequencers you can take a peek at the RM1x https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6-1nIt7Oj4 which you can find used for 150-200 bucks. If you can afford it you can take a peek at Elektron gear https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRpH5Ij6CfM.

I find step sequencers more fun to experiment with but you'd be hard pressed to get me to give up my OP-1, which isn't really forgiving. This is about the warmest I could get mine to sound without going into sampling: https://soundcloud.com/adamconcept/departures. That being said it has a built in rechargeable battery, is super portable, and very versatile otherwise.

Sequencers are definitely interesting, if foreign to me. I've never been overly excited when I see one but for my taste in electronic music they make a lot of sense. I'll do a little research into them.

I'm really enjoying that song. The OP-1 is too cool. From a purely design oriented and engineering standpoint it's one of the most striking pieces of audio equipment I've ever seen. That thing will look awesome in 10, 15, 30 years. From the second I first saw one it hit me as something timeless. I like the sound a lot too, judging from your example and others I've seen. I guess the negative/positive balance of it is based on its simplicity and jack of all trades nature bu all of that falls more on the positive for me.

Fors Yard posted:

Microbrute would do nicely with the built in sequencer for TD type stuff. Supplement it with a poly synth you can find cheap. Wouldnt recommend the microkorg but you could get it cheap and probably get some decent patches out of it if you didn't have many other options.

Not sure what your set up will be but consider a stereo reverb box and run it all through there. Reverb can make otherwise boring patches interesting/dreamy.

Aside from the OP-1 the Microbrute has the most appealing feature set and layout for me. Sound is killer. For whatever reason until reading this thread I had no concept of mono vs poly though, I'm a doof. Any time I've sat down with a midi keyboard + garageband though I usually stick with single notes and arpeggios vs chords and as you mentioned reverb helps flesh everything out and I've got a few really good reverb pedals.

For a while outside of headphones I'll be using my bass amp. Moving past that what is the "standard" setup mirroring a guitar/amp rig. Monitors, keyboard amp?

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

You ought to look at the Ultranova and Mininova as well. Both are pretty deep VA synths with lots of patching options. The ultranova runs about $600 new, and $400 used. The pros vs. say a MicroKorg or King Kord are the depth, the VST editor, assignable tweak and touch effects with the 8 assignable rotary encoders. The interface, either as the plugin or on the device itself is way better than the MicroKorg's notoriously poo poo one. Cons, the vocoder isn't as good as the Microkorg's is. All the depth can make it a little difficult to program compared to the King Korg, which gives up a lot of flexibility to be easy to use.

By depth I mean the Supernova has 3 oscillators, two ring modulators, 2 multimode filters, a noise source, 6 envelopes, 3 LFO's that can modulate each other, 5 effects slots and a 20 slot modulation matrix. The oscillators can be all the standard VA ones, plus a bunch of pulse/saw combinations, several digital waveforms and 36 wavetables that generally sound real weird and FM like. It's a big digital synth.

AxeBreaker fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Nov 15, 2015

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I really like the SQ-1 for TD-style sequences. Its killer feature is the Active Step mode, which basically allows you to choose, say, 8 of the 16 steps to play, then make it evolve on the fly. Fun to do in conjunction with other sequencers as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWoYhSrUULw

Only a hundred bucks so you have cash for... I dunno, Microbrute, Erebus or something.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

AxeBreaker posted:

You ought to look at the Ultranova and Mininova as well. Both are pretty deep VA synths with lots of patching options. The ultranova runs about $600 new, and $400 used. The pros vs. say a MicroKorg or King Kord are the depth, the VST editor, assignable tweak and touch effects with the 8 assignable rotary encoders. The interface, either as the plugin or on the device itself is way better than the MicroKorg's notoriously poo poo one. Cons, the vocoder isn't as good as the Microkorg's is. All the depth can make it a little difficult to program compared to the King Korg, which gives up a lot of flexibility to be easy to use.

By depth I mean the Supernova has 3 oscillators, two ring modulators, 2 multimode filters, a noise source, 6 envelopes, 3 LFO's that can modulate each other, 5 effects slots and a 20 slot modulation matrix. The oscillators can be all the standard VA ones, plus a bunch of pulse/saw combinations, several digital waveforms and 36 wavetables that generally sound real weird and FM like. It's a big digital synth.

One thing about the King Korg is that if you have an ipad there is an amazing app for it called patchmorpher which not only lets you use the ipad as a full editor but also lets you oscillate between programs. Something else to check out (it also works with a a few other synths as well).

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Not sure on your total range but I recently got a used Blofeld and it's awesome and can do drat near everything.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I would recommend against the KingKorg. 2 envelopes, 1 hardwired to the amp, both only ADSR. 6 slots of free route modulation.

The controls being at-hand don't make up for it, considering its price next to a used Ultranova.

Also, it's mostly pretty sterile.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm seriously overwhelmed right now with options and it feels awesome. I appreciate all the help from everyone. At this point the Microbrute is heavily swaying me towards it. I love the idea of an analog with no presets and having to learn to dial in sounds every time I use it and the price beats the rest easily. I did become interested in the Korg Volca series overnight, specifically the Volca Bass. It seems like a decent first synth but I'll have to listen to demos and read up on it and the Microbrute to figure out which one should be my first.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

The bass is decent, especially for the money, but the filter is kinda tight and squeaky and not as expressive as the TB-303 and it's clones. The keys is kinda meh without the step sequencer and for whatever reason to poly mode is out of tune on mine, with no way to fix it. The beats rocks for the kick alone, still haven't modded the lovely snare on mine. Having gotten all 3, just skip them and get a minibrute or microbrute.

I'm coming from a different perspective than you, wanting to do live EDM. But being performance oriented you should really consider some higher end gear in your equation. Specifically, the $1500 ish Moog sub-37 or the ~3K DSI Prophet-6. The first is an analog monosynth with a duophonic mode where each osc can play on a different key. The second is a 6-note polyphonic analog polysynth. Both have digital controls and patch memory so you can easily recall patches between songs, or on different days when your working on something. I've heard too many tales from pro musicians (andmittedly on video) about the struggle to re-program old Moogs and ARPs and the like between songs.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Microbrutes are sick. Don't bother with the Volca Bass (unless down the road you realize you need a 3 oscillator mono, perhaps to run through your Microbrute's filter, which is making me think I should take mine out of the box again) (Or you have really small fingers).

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb14/articles/arturia-microbrute.htm

That review felt 'correct' to me, having used one for a year and a half or so- it compares it to the Minibrute too which might make more sense as a first synth, depending on what your goals are. The Microbrute sounds loud and noisy in a lot of very cool and unique ways but it's definitely not as flexible as the typical monosynth, which makes it a bit weird to learn stuff on. Speaking of- what are you trying to do? That's gonna determine your setup. Are you playing in a band? Looking to record yourself? Sequencers/external control/etc are much more or less important depending on what you're gonna be doing with it (but goooood luck predicting that- I never in a million years thought I'd end up with the set-up that clicked).

AxeBreaker posted:

I'm coming from a different perspective than you, wanting to do live EDM. But being performance oriented you should really consider some higher end gear in your equation. Specifically, the $1500 ish Moog sub-37 or the ~3K DSI Prophet-6. The first is an analog monosynth with a duophonic mode where each osc can play on a different key. The second is a 6-note polyphonic analog polysynth. Both have digital controls and patch memory so you can easily recall patches between songs, or on different days when your working on something. I've heard too many tales from pro musicians (andmittedly on video) about the struggle to re-program old Moogs and ARPs and the like between songs.

Just to be clear (and I'm hoping I'm misinterpreting), you absolutely do not need to spend over a thousand dollars to get digital patch memory. The Microbrute's not gonna be the best choice for accurately re-creating multiple patches during a live performance (though tbh it's simple enough that the Moog/ARP comparison isn't really that apt), but there's a biiiiiig gulf between that 1.5-3k (admittedly, great sounding) modern analog flagship synths. Especially with those Roland boutique releases floating around (or hell theres gotta be a ton of use Prophet 8s out there now).

And another piece of advice- buy used!

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Yeah the brutes are gonna get you a lot closer than the volcas based on what you want to do. I think the full keyboard alone will prove to be much more inspiring for a first synth (in addition to layout and features)

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I've contacted a couple places for the best new Microbrute prices. 99% sure that's the direction I'm going, the layout and sound is too good compared to everything else I've found in the price range. I'll submerge in various other synth demos for a few days until I choose where I'm buying from and then order if I haven't found something I like more. I'm excited! I'm also thinking of eventually adding a Minitaur to use with the Microbrute for obvious reasons.

I'm officially diving in the bleep bloop poverty hole aren't I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm officially diving in the bleep bloop poverty hole aren't I?

No, you're not getting into Modular.