Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

100% of terrorists identified so far are French nationals. We gotta stop the boats you guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

bunnyofdoom posted:

Well considering her picture was on all the signs and she ran for mayor last year and placed second and gave tons of interviews on her heritage especially during the refugee portion of the election.....

Also She got 44% of the vote.

You give the electorate too much credit if you think they follow the local ground game that much. People were tired of DDM/CPC and got on board with the Trueaumania :swoon: train.

If candidates weren't near constantly whipped maybe the locals would matter.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

THC posted:

100% of terrorists identified so far are French nationals. We gotta stop the boats you guys

Bomb the poo poo out of our military? What is she, female CI?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Dallan Invictus posted:

Assuming we are using the same statistics, 8th rank means approximately 1.5% of the global total though? (and the physics of global warming give approximately zero shits about per capita).

Our potential contribution to reducing global warming is somewhere on par with our potential contribution to air strikes against ISIS. If you (general you) agree with the first but not the second, just say that. Saying "this is a good thing to be doing but we can't make a meaningful contribution" is a threadbare cover because Canada is kind of small and can't make "major" concrete contributions to much of anything when it comes to global-scale issues.

The major contribution I was thinking of was more along the lines of trying to develop alternative technological solutions or pioneering new social strategies, and then taking the necessary steps to speed their adoption by other countries. Also, in the original context of the comment, our role as a major pollutor means we're well suited to lead the charge against global warming at international conferences by offering to set voluntary targets for reducing emissions.

You're right that we could stop 100% of our emissions and still not significantly impact global warming but I think that's a relatively narrow reading of what constitutes a "major contribution". I was thinking more along the lines of the role we can play as a member of the international community, and while we're not on the same level as countries like the USA or China I think we're relatively well positioned. At bare minimum we could try to be an example that the environmentalists of other countries can point to instead of embracing the role Harper was crafting for us as an international pariah.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
Crosscountry Checkup is talking about Paris attacks, the callers so far have been grimly entertaining, tune in if you dare!!!

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Helsing posted:

The major contribution I was thinking of was more along the lines of trying to develop alternative technological solutions or pioneering new social strategies, and then taking the necessary steps to speed their adoption by other countries. Also, in the original context of the comment, our role as a major pollutor means we're well suited to lead the charge against global warming at international conferences by offering to set voluntary targets for reducing emissions.

You're right that we could stop 100% of our emissions and still not significantly impact global warming but I think that's a relatively narrow reading of what constitutes a "major contribution". I was thinking more along the lines of the role we can play as a member of the international community, and while we're not on the same level as countries like the USA or China I think we're relatively well positioned. At bare minimum we could try to be an example that the environmentalists of other countries can point to instead of embracing the role Harper was crafting for us as an international pariah.

I agree that we should be doing all of these things with respect to global warming, and in general that "major contributions" to an effort against X can mean more than things that directly reduce X, in much the same way that I agree that Canada can contribute (and is contributing) against ISIS in other ways than simply dropping bombs on them to provide air support and tactical advantage for the various regional groups fighting them (such as providing training for those groups who we approve of, and so on, and so on). This is why I specified "concrete" contributions are what is limited by our small size for a rich country.

I would take it further and say that direct contributions to worthwhile collective efforts are valuable even if they only occur on symbolic levels that can serve as an example for others. I would say this goes for direct reductions of emissions, for direct acceptance of refugees, and even for direct military action. When it comes to international collective efforts, the main question should always be "should X be done" not "can we tip the scales in the effort to accomplish X". Very few countries can tip the scales against any X, but if everyone calculates that way then nobody actually does anything and you get halfassed efforts that do nothing good.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Majuju posted:

Crosscountry Checkup is talking about Paris attacks, the callers so far have been grimly entertaining, tune in if you dare!!!

Just turned it on! I look forward to it.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
thats a dumb argument because canada can actually have a huge impact on global warming as we control a huge amount of the worlds fossile fuels

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
yeah but that doesnt involve bombing the poo poo out of a bunch of brown people so i can slather blood all over my dick and jerk myself off

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

seriously still lolling at the dude trying to equate stopping global warming with bombing isis. like what lol

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

anyway, bombing isis has worked out great for france.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
This Hitler chap, I've got a good feeling about him. I'm sure appeasement will work, no need to actually fight!

Whether Canada specifically ought to be bombing Daesh is a very different argument to "should Daesh be bombed?" I don't think we need to be doing the bombing, but someone sure as gently caress should, and I have no problem with Canadian forces playing a supporting role in such in whatever measure the government feels necessary.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

PT6A posted:

This Hitler chap, I've got a good feeling about him. I'm sure appeasement will work, no need to actually fight!

Admit it, you've never even read a book on the interwar years.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

PT6A posted:

Godwin. I'm extremely amused your comparing a state being belligerent with a terrorist organization. Present day Russia is a much better comparison.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The situation with ISIS is exactly like Nazi Germany you guys and all you liberal pantywaists are exactly like Chamberlain

Unlike me the big tough strong cigar smoking bulldog man. Ourah. Let's roll.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Kafka Esq. posted:

Admit it, you've never even read a book on the interwar years.

Yes, of course I have. The time for a non-military solution was literally "any time between the end of WW1 and Hitler getting power." Appeasing Hitler, after he gained power, was a losing proposition. Likewise, there are certainly things we could've done to prevent the rise of Daesh, but those options are, largely speaking, not on the table any more.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

RBC posted:

thats a dumb argument because canada can actually have a huge impact on global warming as we control a huge amount of the worlds fossile fuels

This is most true when you are strictly talking about oil, yes (10% of proven reserves, 5% of production). When one factors in coal (1% of proven reserves, 1% of production) and NG (1% of proven reserves, 5% of production), which also contribute to global warming, the picture gets murkier. (all figures from BP's statistical review here.)

And in no case do we have such a dominant position that we can actually have a huge direct impact on global warming on our own, because sufficient outside supplies exist that even if the tar sands shut down tomorrow the world would merrily go on burning the same amount of oil and just buying it from the Saudis or the US instead. This is a demand problem, not a supply problem, and it is a global problem. This is not to say we should do nothing. This is to say we should contribute to solving global problems to the best of our ability, even if "the best of our ability" is not a direct gamechanger.

But by all means continue lolling. Laughter is good for you.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 16, 2015

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

PT6A posted:

Yes, of course I have. The time for a non-military solution was literally "any time between the end of WW1 and Hitler getting power." Appeasing Hitler, after he gained power, was a losing proposition. Likewise, there are certainly things we could've done to prevent the rise of Daesh, but those options are, largely speaking, not on the table any more.

So what exactly are you saying we should be doing? Should we bomb and invade Syria, try to destroy Isis by military might? How would other nations respond? What would Russia and middle East nations view any further involvement? Should we remove Assad from power?

In my view your ideal that the solution is military involvement is simplistic. Isis isn't a nation state like Germany was in the second world war. It's a loose confederation of like minded people more than a proper military state.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Baudin posted:

So what exactly are you saying we should be doing? Should we bomb and invade Syria, try to destroy Isis by military might? How would other nations respond? What would Russia and middle East nations view any further involvement? Should we remove Assad from power?

In my view your ideal that the solution is military involvement is simplistic. Isis isn't a nation state like Germany was in the second world war. It's a loose confederation of like minded people more than a proper military state.

I think it's both a state in one sense and an ideological movement in another sense. Denying Daesh the ability to control territory and make money is a necessary condition, not a sufficient condition, to managing the threat that the ideological movement (which is the part responsible for things like the Paris attacks) represents.

I've already stated that I'm personally opposed to removing Assad at this time. It will have to be done at some point, but it can and should only be done when the authority of the Syrian state is absolute in its territory, so that a halfway-orderly transition of power can be effected.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

We've been dropping bombs for over a decade, let's keep dropping more bombs on whoever, wherever, to see if that works! I don't care if we have to bomb 10 innocents to get to that 1 guy with ties to _________!

If bombs were going to work, they would have worked years ago on the first group of guys. Peace doesn't sell bombs though, I guess, or satisfy people's sense of vengeance :shrug:

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Professor Shark posted:

We've been dropping bombs for over a decade, let's keep dropping more bombs on whoever, wherever, to see if that works! I don't care if we have to bomb 10 innocents to get to that 1 guy with ties to _________!

Don't worry man, we're bringing in 25,000 of them they'll get their chance to blow us up!

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

"We're bringing in 25000 of them"
Who? Refugees fleeing violence and oppression?
"Them."

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I'm sure that they'll all be vetting extremely well, it's fairly easy to see if someone is a security risk when they have no paperwork and you don't speak their language so you use a translator.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Do it ironically posted:

Don't worry man, we're bringing in 25,000 of them they'll get their chance to blow us up!

Good and I hope they start with you.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
There was a good interview on the Sunday Edition this morning talking about the various strategies of ISIS, including stirring up Islamaphobia in the West to alienate Muslims living there and make them easier targets for recruitment. It's an obvious tactic, but one I haven't thought much about.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thesundayedition/special-program-dedicated-to-the-paris-attacks-1.3319706

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Nov 16, 2015

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

PT6A posted:

I've already stated that I'm personally opposed to removing Assad at this time. It will have to be done at some point, but it can and should only be done when the authority of the Syrian state is absolute in its territory, so that a halfway-orderly transition of power can be effected.

If you think the Syrian state is going to wield "absolute" anything within it's territory any time in the next several decades then you're delusional. Your prescriptions for this situation are so far removed from plausible reality that you might as well be discussing the best way to remove the Dark Lord Sauron from power.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Stretch Marx posted:

Good and I hope they start with you.

Probably will happen in Calgary first, we're the #1 exporter of ISIS fighters from Canada, but yet the Islamic Centre on 8th ave still hasn't been shut down.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The 9/11 hijackers had their papers in order. The Paris shooters were Frenchmen. Not refugees. Stop dancing your silly dance and just admit that you think all brown people anywhere are potential terrorists.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Do it ironically posted:

Probably will happen in Calgary first, we're the #1 exporter of ISIS fighters from Canada, but yet the Islamic Centre on 8th ave still hasn't been shut down.

Hmm yes if we shut down the mosques there will stop being terrorists.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Dr. Stab posted:

Hmm yes if we shut down the mosques there will stop being terrorists.

Instead we'll just let the ISIS factory churn out fighters because being nice is the canadian way.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Do it ironically posted:

Instead we'll just let the ISIS factory churn out fighters because being nice is the canadian way.

"Actually Mr. ISIS, people are pretty cool here and treat me well, this North American lifestyle is pretty awesome, and my taxes are going towards providing emergency assistance to people in need in that poo poo desert my parents ran from, so no I don't think I'll be buying my own plane ticket to come over there or strapping a bomb to my chest here wtf haha"

But no, let's keep bombing terrorists and killing the friends and families of Canadians, that will make them chill and happy like ^^^

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
--

Melian Dialogue fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Feb 2, 2016

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

How many of the alleged sleeper agents within the yet unchosen 25 000 do you think would just say "Forget that poo poo!" as soon as they got on the plane to Canada?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Do it ironically posted:

Do you believe that shutting down mosques will

A. Increase terrorism
or
B. Decrease terrorism

?

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Shutting down a known islamic centre that is radicalizing canadians to go over and fight for ISIS will most likely help in letting these senior people doing the radicalizing know that that's not ok in our country, to answer your false dichotomy

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Taking a page from that terrible mid-2000s Christian Bale movie, the Trudeau Liberals announce that all New Canadians and refugees with be forced to take mandatory tokes of BC bud throughout the day to keep them passive and docile.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Do it ironically posted:

I'd like to report you for barbaric cultural practices.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Do it ironically posted:

Shutting down a known islamic centre that is radicalizing canadians to go over and fight for ISIS will most likely help in letting these senior people doing the radicalizing know that that's not ok in our country, to answer your false dichotomy

How is it known that this islamic centre is radicalizing canadians? What is this islamic centre doing that warrants being shut down?

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Dr. Stab posted:

How is it known that this islamic centre is radicalizing canadians? What is this islamic centre doing that warrants being shut down?

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/calgary-brothers-killed-while-fighting-for-isis-1.2162041

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/farah-mohamed-shirdon-of-calgary-fighting-for-islamic-state-of-iraq-and-syria-1.2680206

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Again, how is the mosque responsible? What would shutting it down accomplish?