Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Yes but a 15% played modern deck that requires another grand in other cards vs a deck that costs 60 bucks plus 4 ugins in standard will allow it to drop back to 20ish dollars after rotation. Standard is driving the price up right now. Which is fine it's a great card but it's nowhere near Karn and he is 30 bucks. Ugin is a fantastic deal at 20 bucks. At 40 he is a standard blip because of GR Eldrazi.

So you're saying to get rid of him now.

Okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
I got a Liliana of the Veil at the Dark Ascension pre-release and have held onto it ever since. Last time I looked, she was priced at around $40, and now its $94?

How did it get so high?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Lobsterpillar posted:

I got a Liliana of the Veil at the Dark Ascension pre-release and have held onto it ever since. Last time I looked, she was priced at around $40, and now its $94?

How did it get so high?

It's really really good and hasn't been printed much since then

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Lobsterpillar posted:

How did it get so high?

She's either the second or third best Planeswalker ever printed, and the best non-blue Planeswalker by a country mile. She's also the cornerstone of both Modern and Legacy archetypes, and there's no real replacement for her.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Niton posted:

She's either the second or third best Planeswalker ever printed, and the best non-blue Planeswalker by a country mile. She's also the cornerstone of both Modern and Legacy archetypes, and there's no real replacement for her.

I'm kind of curious what you think the 2nd would even be if not Lili. New Jace?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Jace, Jace, Lili, Karn, Tezz is the top five, though you could argue about the order a bit.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

The Shortest Path posted:

Jace, Jace, Lili, Karn, Tezz is the top five, though you could argue about the order a bit.

No Elspeth Knight-Errant? Or is she just outclassed by new Gideon now for best white walker?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

suicidesteve posted:

I'm kind of curious what you think the 2nd would even be if not Lili. New Jace?

Yeah, Top 3 (to me) is JTMS, Flip Jace and Liliana in some order. I haven't been 100% convinced that JTMS was #1 in a long time, despite his well-deserved reputation as such.

Niton fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Nov 15, 2015

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Also note Dack Fayden, the most played vintage walker and the greatest thief in the multiverse

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

suicidesteve posted:

Interestingly enough when there's one good card in a set that card is expensive. Especially when it's a mythic.

Forgetting Mentor, Soulfire Grand Master and Tasigur?

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
LSV's deck isn't great, sure, but it's got sixteen creatures, some removal spells and some card draw. Even with a mediocre pool that's a good backbone for a deck.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

CountFosco posted:

LSV's deck isn't great, sure, but it's got sixteen creatures, some removal spells and some card draw. Even with a mediocre pool that's a good backbone for a deck.

Saying it has 16 creatures is incredibly generous - it's a 3 color deck that still has to play multiple Blisterpods, Vampiric Rites, Void Winnower, and more 4CMC+ removal spells than you'd really like to be playing. When that's the best you can do off of 3 colors of mana, your pool is Not Good.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Logicblade posted:

No Elspeth Knight-Errant? Or is she just outclassed by new Gideon now for best white walker?

None of the white walkers are anywhere near top 5 lol

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

mandatory lesbian posted:

Stoneforge mystic is the honorary white walker and surprise surprise isn't as good as DRS, a BG one.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Finkel on the draft whitelist I see.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

We can start talking about top tier white planeswalkers when they attach a wrath or even pseudo balance to the down tick.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Ramos posted:

We can start talking about top tier white planeswalkers when they attach a wrath or even pseudo balance to the down tick.

Elspeth Sun's Champion had what is probably the best wrath on a down tick you're going to get. You could get variants on it like Ugin's but your aren't going to see an unconditional wrath unless its a 5cmc planeswalker and the wrath outright kills it.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Gerry T taking Rot Shambler over Deathless Behemoth??

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
A friend of mine went 9-0 at GP Atlanta, I'm pretty excited for him! I hope he does well in the draft portion as well.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

white walkers are game of thrones, not mtg

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Logicblade posted:

I think it's more of those are the only walkers that see the most Eternal Play.

Jace, Vryn's Prodigy is played in every format except maybe Vintage.

Liliana of the Veil is played in Modern and Legacy

Jace, the Mind Sculptor is The Best Walker Ever Printed, played wherever legal.

Karn is how RG Tron in modern wins games, or at least, puts them in unlosable positions.

Tezzeret is in a legacy deck called "Tezzerator".

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Count Bleck posted:

Jace, Vryn's Prodigy is played in every format except maybe Vintage.

It's played in the Mentor decks and a lot of the Delver decks. I don't think it is in the Big Blue tinker decks since you have lots of other stuff going on in there. Flashbacking an ancestral or a gush is pretty gas

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

EKE was considered the number 2 walker for a very long time, but her home(GWx Knight decks) isn't good currently.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Asking "what's the best Planeswalker" is a loaded question because it depends on a lot of things. A lot of the reasons to run any of them depends on other cards and whether they're legal, or they're JTMS and banned themselves in at least one format.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
The fact that Elspeth, Sun's Champion and Gideon Ally of Zendikar are insane in their standards shouldn't be irrelevant either.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

OG Gideon is still my favorite.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Can someone explain the Rattleclaw Mystic in one of the Abzan top 8 decks?

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gpbru15/top-8-decklists-2015-11-15

quote:

Planeswalker (4)
4 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar

Creature (22)
2 Wingmate Roc
4 Siege Rhino
4 Anafenza, the Foremost
3 Rattleclaw Mystic
3 Den Protector
4 Warden of the First Tree
2 Hangarback Walker

Sorcery (1)
1 Exert Influence

Instant (8)
1 Murderous Cut
4 Abzan Charm
3 Dromoka's Command

His profile says it was to crush the abzan mirror

e:oh and it's a 61 card deck :pwn: (unless there's a mistake)

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Rinkles posted:

Can someone explain the Rattleclaw Mystic in one of the Abzan top 8 decks?

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gpbru15/top-8-decklists-2015-11-15

His profile says it was to crush the abzan mirror

e:oh and it's a 61 card deck :pwn: (unless there's a mistake)

It's a ramp creature that lets him exert influence for X=4 or X=5 easier, as well as T3 Gideon/Rhino (lol) or T4 Wingmate. It's also a minor color-fixer, since you can cast & flip it even if you're stuck off of green.

e: Think of it as Leaf Gilder with Morph, that can potentially ramp you for 2 or help color fix for your splashes

Niton fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 15, 2015

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Niton posted:

It's a ramp creature that lets him exert influence for X=4 or X=5 easier, as well as T3 Gideon/Rhino (lol) or T4 Wingmate. It's also a minor color-fixer, since you can cast & flip it even if you're stuck off of green.

I realized it made Exert easier to cast but didn't consider it pumping the converge as well.

Still, a two mana ramper in a fairly aggressive deck seems weird to me.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think Rattleclaw was in aggressive lists quite a bit before rotation. Helping you to deploy a threat a turn early while also hitting for 2 isn't bad.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Angry Grimace posted:

Asking "what's the best Planeswalker" is a loaded question because it depends on a lot of things. A lot of the reasons to run any of them depends on other cards and whether they're legal, or they're JTMS and banned themselves in at least one format.

So basically that JTMS and LoTV are the best planeswalkers.

Because the only decks in their colors without them have their A-game be turns 2-5 as "pop wasteland, swing with delver".

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Sam Black's Top 8 draft is completely insane. BUG Nonsense, featuring Desolation Twin and Part the Waterveil

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Meanwhile, Owen just has a good U/R deck with two Herald of Kozilek to go with his Serpentine Spike.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Hellsau posted:

Meanwhile, Owen just has a good U/R deck with two Herald of Kozilek to go with his Serpentine Spike.

loving yawn town. I want to see an Awakened Part the Waterveil, not some "casting creatures on curve" and "using removal" nerd poo poo

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Count Bleck posted:

Karn is how RG Tron in modern wins games, or at least, puts them in unlosable positions.

RG Tron also uses Ugrin now days. He and Karn are fairly interchangeable depending on what you need access to.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Gridlocked posted:

RG Tron also uses Ugrin now days. He and Karn are fairly interchangeable depending on what you need access to.

They aren't interchangeable. There are some decks that Karn is awful against and those are the ones Ugin is great against. They are best pals.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

mcmagic posted:

They aren't interchangeable. There are some decks that Karn is awful against and those are the ones Ugin is great against. They are best pals.
It's also relevant that Karn can come down a turn earlier for RG.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I really hope Turtenwald doesn't win.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I really hope Turtenwald doesn't win.

Same except the opposite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Turtenwald v Martell

Whoever wins, we lose

• Locked thread