Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
It's good to see that the Paris GBS thread has also leaked here.

Professor Shark posted:

We've been dropping bombs for over a decade, let's keep dropping more bombs on whoever, wherever, to see if that works! I don't care if we have to bomb 10 innocents to get to that 1 guy with ties to _________!

If bombs were going to work, they would have worked years ago on the first group of guys. Peace doesn't sell bombs though, I guess, or satisfy people's sense of vengeance :shrug:

There are too many 3 letter acronym factions fighting in the Syria-Iraq theatre for bombing to work. The fact that the US is helping al-Nusra and calling them moderates in the region is pretty telling. The people that advocate more bombs probably don't have a grasp on the different factions or politics of the region. It's a poo poo show before they even bother taking the large population centers back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Keeping refugees or immigrants out isn't the answer, the answer is better programs for stopping radicalization. Oddly enough, it turns out that sane members of the Muslim community are the ones who tend to report people who are falling for that kind of extremist stuff. It seems like when someone is caught for a terrorist plot, half the time their Imam or a member of their mosque reported it.

Also, refugees don't really have time to think about this stuff; it's when people settle down for long periods of time and get comfortable and realize that the country they're now in has values that don't match theirs that they really become open to radicalization.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
you use a false dichotomy and ask me if I think shutting it down would decrease terrorism, I give a reply.

You then say prove that this place is radicalizing Canadians, I provide the information.

You then move the goal post and say how is this place responsible, all you're doing is straw manning me and moving the goal posts till you find an argument you can actually defend.

That being said is a drinking establishment liable for over serving a customer, would not a place abetting and promoting criminal activities be at the very least partially responsible both legally and morally, I certainly think so.

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

Helsing posted:

If you think the Syrian state is going to wield "absolute" anything within it's territory any time in the next several decades then you're delusional. Your prescriptions for this situation are so far removed from plausible reality that you might as well be discussing the best way to remove the Dark Lord Sauron from power.

Speaking of which...

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I like seeing brutal dictators get killed by the people they have brutalized, but I don't like the power vacuums they leave behind. It's very conflicting. :(

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Do it ironically posted:

you use a false dichotomy and ask me if I think shutting it down would decrease terrorism, I give a reply.

You then say prove that this place is radicalizing Canadians, I provide the information.

You then move the goal post and say how is this place responsible, all you're doing is straw manning me and moving the goal posts till you find an argument you can actually defend.

That being said is a drinking establishment liable for over serving a customer, would not a place abetting and promoting criminal activities be at the very least partially responsible both legally and morally, I certainly think so.

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to change what I was asking. I don't actually see a difference between saying that a place is doing something vs it is responsible for doing something. If anything, I see the latter as a weaker statement.

What I'm getting at is that nothing in those articles says that that place is doing that. All I can find is that some people met there went on to become terrorists. While that is unfortunate, it's not actually anything to do with what you were saying. You called it an ISIS factory and called for it to be shut down. Why?

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
You're being intentionally obtuse, one of the reasons why DnD is a joke, you can't actually debate and discuss things unless it fits into the left wing SJW hive mind.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Helsing posted:

Taking a page from that terrible mid-2000s Christian Bale movie, the Trudeau Liberals announce that all New Canadians and refugees with be forced to take mandatory tokes of BC bud throughout the day to keep them passive and docile.

Equilibrium was a great movie and gun-kata was really interfffahahah sorry I couldn't keep going

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Helsing posted:

The major contribution I was thinking of was more along the lines of trying to develop alternative technological solutions or pioneering new social strategies

Canadian innovation saves the planet from global warming by helping the other countries tweet at China on regular intervals, I can see that.

Also, Stephen Harper did what you're suggesting, http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/candu-signs-joint-venture-agreement-with-chinese-to-build-nuclear-reactors-1.2095086

quote:

Candu Energy, a division of SNC-Lavalin, has signed a framework joint venture agreement in China that could lead to construction of nuclear power plants using recycled uranium, a move one executive called a potential "game-changer" for the business.

The framework deal with China National Nuclear Corp. was signed in Beijing over the weekend during Prime Minister Stephen Harper's state visit to China and the company expects to finalize it within six months.

Terrorism and climate change are two sides of the same coin, vague, polarizing, unsolvable and I love seeing both sides use the exact same arguments.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Do it ironically posted:

You're being intentionally obtuse, one of the reasons why DnD is a joke, you can't actually debate and discuss things unless it fits into the left wing SJW hive mind.

Are you trolling? None of the articles you posted are about a (your words) "known islamic centre that is radicalizing canadians to go over and fight for ISIS" (only one sentence in the first article refers neutrally to a "downtown Calgary mosque"), and when someone asks you how the hell that demonstrates a "known islamic centre that is radicalizing canadians to go over and fight for ISIS", you accuse them of being intentionally obtuse and go on a tirade against D&D?

How stupid are you?

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Funneling people who can potentially be radicalized into the killzone of Syria/Iraq seems like a win all around. We should be subsidizing these people who want to fight for ISIS while covertly fitting them with GPS devices to make killing them easier. We should focus on the humanitarian stuff, but as long as the Americans and French are taking out the trash, may as well get them to clean up our scumbags, too.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
We deserve to be bombed here in Canada because we're too dumb anyways, lord help me lol

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Heavy neutrino posted:

Are you trolling? None of the articles you posted are about a (your words) "known islamic centre that is radicalizing canadians to go over and fight for ISIS" (only one sentence in the first article refers neutrally to a "downtown Calgary mosque"), and when someone asks you how the hell that demonstrates a "known islamic centre that is radicalizing canadians to go over and fight for ISIS", you accuse them of being intentionally obtuse and go on a tirade against D&D?

How stupid are you?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748577&userid=166032

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
i thinkk the way to stop radicalizing people is to stop murdering their families with drone strikes. cheers bitch

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Heavy neutrino posted:

How stupid are you?

I'd say that there's probably links between that Islamic centre and the people who went to fight with Daesh. I don't suspect for a second it's some kind of a front for Daesh, but I think it may have been used as a recruiting ground by an unaffiliated Daesh operative/sympathizer.

On the subject of providing humanitarian support: of course we should be doing that, and prioritizing it above military intervention. I don't think providing humanitarian assistance and accepting refugees is incompatible with a military campaign against Daesh targets, aimed at denying them sources of income and the ability to train foreign operatives.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Do it ironically posted:

Haha one of the newest last refuges of the failed debater online is accussing the other side of being leftist sjws

:qq: It's hopeless, these Loony Leftists are all SJW's! My very good and well argued points just fall on dear ears! :qq:

What I'm saying is, my grandmother is cooler than you

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

PT6A posted:

I'd say that there's probably links between that Islamic centre and the people who went to fight with Daesh. I don't suspect for a second it's some kind of a front for Daesh, but I think it may have been used as a recruiting ground by an unaffiliated Daesh operative/sympathizer.

https://news.vice.com/video/homegrown-radicals

VICE investigated the center a while back, and talked to some of the people who work there and knew the Canadians who went over to Syria.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I have a rational position which I defending and yet every chance you get the regulars just flail their arms and scream about nonsense

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Didn't know Vice did something on that place, also, saying that it's just mentioned in the one article, maybe it's a little Calgary knowledge but that's the only mosque/islamic center in that area, those aren't two separate places

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Do it ironically posted:

I have a rational position which I defending and yet every chance you get the regulars just flail their arms and scream about nonsense

What is your rational position?

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Professor Shark posted:

What is your rational position?

That all western countries should stop funding the theocratic state Israel because of their war crimes on the Palestinian peoples

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Ikantski posted:

Canadian innovation saves the planet from global warming by helping the other countries tweet at China on regular intervals, I can see that.

Also, Stephen Harper did what you're suggesting, http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/candu-signs-joint-venture-agreement-with-chinese-to-build-nuclear-reactors-1.2095086

Terrorism and climate change are two sides of the same coin, vague, polarizing, unsolvable and I love seeing both sides use the exact same arguments.

Do you believe that the scientific consensus regarding global warming is accurate, or close enough to accuracy to be genuinely alarming?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
From a national security viewpoint, it's better to leave a place with suspected/known ties to terrorist cells open than to shut it down and drive any links you could monitor underground.

And I don't know if closing down an Islamic Center would survive a charter challenge.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Stretch Marx posted:

I'd like to report you for barbaric cultural practices.

You can! There's a little button...

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Are you guys really still treating posts from somebody named "do it ironically" as earnest and genuine arguments?

Assume for a moment he believes everything he says. Do you think you're going to convince him otherwise? Do you think there are a lot of fence sitters reading this thread who might be swayed by his highly convincing ability to post random links to news stories only tangentially connected to his fever-dream arguments?

Please don't make me wake up tomorrow to find 5 new pages of you guys getting played by the laziest troll we've seen in months.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Dreylad posted:

https://news.vice.com/video/homegrown-radicals

VICE investigated the center a while back, and talked to some of the people who work there and knew the Canadians who went over to Syria.

Ha, I could see my apartment building in one of the establishing shots. Makes sense, as the Islamic Centre in question is only four blocks away.

There used to be a shawarma place in the same building, but it closed down. I hope that didn't have anything to do with the rumours surrounding the Islamic Centre, because it was the only decent shawarma joint in the city.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

PT6A posted:

Ha, I could see my apartment building in one of the establishing shots. Makes sense, as the Islamic Centre in question is only four blocks away.

There used to be a shawarma place in the same building, but it closed down. I hope that didn't have anything to do with the rumours surrounding the Islamic Centre, because it was the only decent shawarma joint in the city.

the chick pea is p good bruh.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Do it ironically posted:

the chick pea is p good bruh.

It is not. Sorry you don't know what good shawarma tastes like, pal.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
not everyone's been to Boustan, buddy.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Dreylad posted:

not everyone's been to Boustan, buddy.

Is it still good? I was only there once since it changed ownership, it seemed mostly the same.

Man, that poo poo tasted good. I miss it.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

PT6A posted:

It is not. Sorry you don't know what good shawarma tastes like, pal.

lol at a non-Ottawan thinking they have good shawarma

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Mameluke posted:

You think Ottawa can beat Montreal? Even the best in Calgary probably falls short of Ottawa, and definitely short of Montreal (that's why I complain about it). It is known.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Mameluke posted:

Fun Ottawa story, many years back I was there drunk as gently caress wandering the streets during the big blackout, and desiring food greatly. Nothing was open. Every store was black. I wandered and wandered, stomach growling, until finally the candle lit store front of the SHAWARMA KING appeared. Their grill was all gas powered, they took cash, and the meats were hot.

That was the best shawarma of my life.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Montreal doesn't have poo poo on Ottawa sorry. It's the only good local food we have.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Phew, for a second there I thought I wasn't in the right thread, but food chat brought me back to ground.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The Butcher posted:

Fun Ottawa story, many years back I was there drunk as gently caress wandering the streets during the big blackout, and desiring food greatly. Nothing was open. Every store was black. I wandered and wandered, stomach growling, until finally the candle lit store front of the SHAWARMA KING appeared. Their grill was all gas powered, they took cash, and the meats were hot.

That was the best shawarma of my life.

Do they know not to put lettuce and cucumber pickles on shawarma? That's a recurring problem in Calgary, you have to keep a very careful eye on them lest they commit that horrible sin.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Pickled turnip and hot peppers only

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

Pickled turnip and hot peppers only

This is the correct answer.

And god loving help you if you put sweet sauce on a shawarma...

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Gyro supremacy.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Everything including pickles and turnips. Garlic sauce with chicken sesame with beef.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Helsing posted:

Taking a page from that terrible mid-2000s Christian Bale movie, the Trudeau Liberals announce that all New Canadians and refugees with be forced to take mandatory tokes of BC bud throughout the day to keep them passive and docile.

Oh, you think poutine is your ally, but you merely adopted the curds. I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn’t see the gravy until I was already a man; by then, it was nothing to me but smothering! The fries betray you, because they belong to me.