Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

The Vosgian Beast posted:

This thread is forced to watch a critic they detest and go on about how bad they are or face death.

First it was Josh Hadley, then it was the Game Grumps, now it's Doug Walker.

How has the Internet Critic Thread of all places not figured out it's more fun to complain about things than actually do something productive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
:shobon: I like Game Grumps. It got a lot better after jontron left.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

They have their ups and downs, usually proportional to how well they know the game they're playing

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
If the grumps are critics what about DSP? My favorite part is when he goes "Wooooooow, ok guys lets think about this. loving Kojima"

Augus posted:

They have their ups and downs, usually proportional to how well they know the game they're playing

Was it them who got a ton of backlash over a video where the game had "press x to do thing" on screen and they spent the entire video bitching about not knowing what to do?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Leal posted:

Was it them who got a ton of backlash over a video where the game had "press x to do thing" on screen and they spent the entire video bitching about not knowing what to do?

Things like this are not uncommon in their playthroughs, much to everyone's frustration. But people don't watch them for the gameplay, so they get away with it.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Leal posted:

If the grumps are critics what about DSP? My favorite part is when he goes "Wooooooow, ok guys lets think about this. loving Kojima"

That happened to the Game Grumps here, and also the Super Best Friends here.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

A good poster posted:

That happened to the Game Grumps here, and also the Super Best Friends here.

That's pretty common. It's really easy to miss things when you try to be entertaining and don't really focus on the game.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Sequeilitis was an interesting concept derailed by EgoRapter having the worst ideas about game design I think I've ever heard. His weird adoring love letter to the first level of Mega Man X and how it's this ingenious template for teaching players was insane (it literally boils down to ' It's an easy level that shows off game concepts.').Also the Zelda one is full of the dumbest nitpicks about Ocarina of Time ever.

At least with Megaman X, he starts with an alright premise. But then he keeps making increasingly larger leaps of logic to justify the idea that literally every minor detail is actually supporting the game's totally organic and intuitive tutorializing.

The Zelda one was a godawful mess top to bottom between his unnecessarily antagonistic and hilariously tired "OOT IS ACTUALLY NOT THE BEST ZELDA GAME SUCK ON THAT FANBOYS!!!" schtick, the completely off topic blustering about how Skyward Sword was literally the worst thing ever, and the fact that for a video supposedly comparing OoT to LttP it felt more like he was judging OoT solely on the metric of "how much is this like (my totally idealized version of) the original LoZ" which to no one's surprise, it fails at.

It doesn't help that he very obviously has a huge axe to grind about literally any form of teaching the player that isn't 100% unguided, organic design and seethes at the idea of the game openly telling him what to do.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I give Egoraptor credit with his Megaman video, it's not like he's wrong about Megaman in general. Lots of people have commented on how its level design follows the "show, then confront" sort of philosophy where you encounter a threat in a safe space initially to get accustomed to the concept, then you have to face it with life or death on the line. I thought him gushing about Megaman X was alright because he clearly loved the game and I'd never really thought that much about the layout of a level. It makes sense that a lot of thought could be put into individual sections of a level like that in development, because you're literally able to assemble everything right there.

Zelda was just like...really reaching. He basically had only a few fairly minor critiques which he obscured with a lot more faffing about.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

John Murdoch posted:

At least with Megaman X, he starts with an alright premise. But then he keeps making increasingly larger leaps of logic to justify the idea that literally every minor detail is actually supporting the game's totally organic and intuitive tutorializing.

The Zelda one was a godawful mess top to bottom between his unnecessarily antagonistic and hilariously tired "OOT IS ACTUALLY NOT THE BEST ZELDA GAME SUCK ON THAT FANBOYS!!!" schtick, the completely off topic blustering about how Skyward Sword was literally the worst thing ever, and the fact that for a video supposedly comparing OoT to LttP it felt more like he was judging OoT solely on the metric of "how much is this like (my totally idealized version of) the original LoZ" which to no one's surprise, it fails at.

It doesn't help that he very obviously has a huge axe to grind about literally any form of teaching the player that isn't 100% unguided, organic design and seethes at the idea of the game openly telling him what to do.

People tend to miss that back in the day, games tended to have substantial manuals to cover what wasn't obvious.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Andrast posted:

That's pretty common. It's really easy to miss things when you try to be entertaining and don't really focus on the game.

Also see: Bob a.k.a. Kamoc a.k.a. Shesellssheshells.

root
Jun 17, 2000

Booska mask replica...
I'm not sure if this falls under the umbrella of "internet critics"* but I thought I'd share one of my favorite groups o'guys because they've brought me quite a few laughs.

It's Beer and Board Games run by Matt Sloane and Aaron Yonda (two comedy guys, former Channel 101ers, creators of Chad Vader) who pretty much sit around with their pals, get drunk, play board games, and a good time is had by all.

Here's some good episodes to start with...
-Star Trek the VCR Game
-Mr Gameshow
-The Urkel Game
-VH1 Music Trivia

*They talk about whether or not they liked the game and the beers they drink so... :shrug:

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I just checked the Spoony Experiment - did you know it's been a year since Spoony has made a scripted video review? Compared to the output of Brad Jones or even Linkara, that's...underwhelming. Linkara's videos may wildlyy vary in quality, but the guy puts out at least one every week. Is Spoony ever going to make a non-vlog video ever again? He's shown us he can still produce funny reviews, it's a shame he doesn't do it more.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

That would require effort, something that Noah currently has no interest in making.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Few things reveal a person's work ethic quite like Patreon.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

TheMaestroso posted:

That would require effort, something that Noah currently has no interest in making.

I can't blame the guy too much, if I could make over 3 grand a month (ninja edit: he is now down to $2,800) with no education or training to talk to a camera for maybe 2 hours a month I'd do it.

I can certainly blame the people that enable that behavior though. Have the people at Noah's 100 dollar tier received their reward yet?

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

OldMemes posted:

I just checked the Spoony Experiment - did you know it's been a year since Spoony has made a scripted video review? Compared to the output of Brad Jones or even Linkara, that's...underwhelming. Linkara's videos may wildlyy vary in quality, but the guy puts out at least one every week. Is Spoony ever going to make a non-vlog video ever again? He's shown us he can still produce funny reviews, it's a shame he doesn't do it more.

Eventually the patreon bucks are going to slow down enough that he'll have to get off his rear end eventually, but by then what remains of his audience will have died off completely and then what does he do with himself?

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
I just learned that Ross (the Freemen's Mind guy) has been living in Poland for the past several years. Which adds more context to his "my life is not expensive" in his fundraising video. I thought he was living with his parents. :downs:

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

TheMaestroso posted:

As critical as I am of some critics (Family Guy style flashback to ~100 posts I've made criticizing the Walkers), I will make one point not so much in his defense, but more of an explanation.

When you're clinically depressed (cite: he's said so himself-- talked about it on Shut Up And Talk, tweeted several times, even started a new anti-depressant recently)-- it has nothing to do with "interest". You can want to do something as much as you want-- but it won't make a difference. Even the simplest tasks seem insurmountable. You have no drive, no energy. And it feeds back on you. Your thought process isn't "I want to make a review, it's been a while, let's do this".

It's "I NEED to make a review, oh god how am I going to do this I don't even know where to start? Every movie I can think of is poo poo and I don't have ANYTHING good to say about it. I'd never get that much editing done. Anything I'd put out now WILL be the WORST thing I've ever done. Everyone will hate it and hate me, and they'd be right. I'm not getting anything done, I'm a worthless piece of poo poo, why even try when I'm going to fail? Now it's been even longer since my last output!"

Imagine a voice in your head interpreting everything around you as negative, and in absolutes-- to the point where that's all you can feel.

So I understand why his output might be poo poo for the past year running. I don't blame anyone who pulls their Patreon funding (I can understand being understandable, but business is business). But I think it's unfair to come at it from a point of view where anyone things Noah is being malicious or lazy. *

* (caveat: of course it is possible he is malicious or lazy-- though evidence seems to point to the contrary-- while evidence for crushing depression is more obvious).

And as for the "but vlogs and thousands of twitter posts..."-- I make this post as someone whose creative output has plummeted over the past few years as I get my own depression under control-- and yet (same Family Guy style flashback to 100s of posts.......)

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Leal posted:

I can't blame the guy too much, if I could make over 3 grand a month (ninja edit: he is now down to $2,800) with no education or training to talk to a camera for maybe 2 hours a month I'd do it.

I can certainly blame the people that enable that behavior though. Have the people at Noah's 100 dollar tier received their reward yet?

This Pat talk made me curious so I checked it out. I have a question for veteran Spoony watchers, in the stretch goals I see this

spoony posted:

Let's Play Deadly Premonition
$50,000 per month
Yeah, I suppose I might be convinced to do it for 50 large. Maybe...

What the hell is this ^^ about? This related to something or is an attempt at random humour?

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
He did a short video of Deadly Premonition a long time ago that was only one video of him doing the introductory area. I guess a lot of his fans wanted him to do more? He's been making jokes about how that's never going to happen ever since.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I waited embarrassingly long to watch the actually good SGF Deadly Premonition LP because I thought Spoony would make another video.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
SGF'S Deadly Premonition LP holds up ridiculously well and I keep going back to rewatch all of it a lot of the time.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I feel like Spoony's in the same boat as a lot of other reviewers in that I kinda think the era of "I'M SO MAD ABOUT THIS BAD MOVIE/GAME/BOOK ETC" is ending. You can only watch so many ~wacky~ videos just summarizing a movie or whatever. The better, more interesting guys like AVGN, Nostalgia Chick, Super Bunny Hop, Kimble Justice, and Cinema Snob have all evolved into discussions of topics and ideas and themes behind what they're discussing which is way more interesting than just cursing and poo poo. AVGN's best work has always been his Monster Madness stuff and there are way more interesting things to disucss than why this movie is so dumb and stupid and lame.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I'm a weird psychopath who thinks that reviewers should talk about things they think are good as much or more than they talk about things that are bad.
Sure it's fun and easy to mock things that are bad but if that's all you do you aren't contributing much to the overall art form. You need to apply that knowledge of how something can be bad in order to greater appreciate when something is really and truly good

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

I waited embarrassingly long to watch the actually good SGF Deadly Premonition LP because I thought Spoony would make another video.

As somebody who still loves his LP's of Phantasmagoria 2, SWAT 4, and Ripper, I did too.

I remember him posting a video schedule one summer that included a long list of things he wanted to do for new videos. One of the projects was a retrospective on Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future. I was really disappointed when that never came to be, would've been rad.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
SWAT 4 was legitimately funny, and Spoony should have jumped onto the Let's Play bandwagon years ago. He would have been ahead of even the Game Grumps on that curve and his built-in audience could have really made something out of him.

But that was before you could make money on Youtube and also Spoony is a trainwreck so...

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Modern Spoony had 2 moments for me where he really stood out: his drunk Twilight review with an extremely awkward Linkara on skype talking to a slowly self-destructing Spoony. And the vid where he announced his plans to kickstart his channel, drop his twitter usage to a minimum and start getting videos out... And the next day he was just full-time on twitter and nothing changed :smith:

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
AV Club has fully descended into clickbait territory with its column on how YOU GUYS TOTALLY MISUNDERSTOOD THE STAR WARS PREQUELS THEY ARE MASTERPIECES OF CINEMA (not linking because you can find it on your own). They make the claim that anyone who doesn’t like the prequels are just parroting Red Letter Media and are stupid doo-doo heads.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2dOuLR-BkI

I'll comment on the video when I'm finished watching it.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Robert Denby posted:

AV Club has fully descended into clickbait territory with its column on how YOU GUYS TOTALLY MISUNDERSTOOD THE STAR WARS PREQUELS THEY ARE MASTERPIECES OF CINEMA (not linking because you can find it on your own). They make the claim that anyone who doesn’t like the prequels are just parroting Red Letter Media and are stupid doo-doo heads.

Basically, a not-uncommon sentiment in the Star Wars thread.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

TheMaestroso posted:

Basically, a not-uncommon sentiment in the Star Wars thread.
Exactly, its like reading a CD thread, complete with the same "I'm reclaiming something indefensibly bad because YOU JUST DON'T GET IT MAN" garbage. They also defended "Sucker Punch" as a feminist masterpiece, and there's a guy on there whose sole job is fellating Trey Parker and Matt Stone.

Also all this Spoony talk has made me realize I haven't watched anything he's made in almost five years.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I love walking and talking, it is such an effective and visually stimulating method of conveying information. Every movie from now on should be at least 90% walking and talking

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
The latest Jimquisition is about Modern Warfare 3. It's surprisingly even-handed, considering it's Jim Sterling defending MW3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTWlzGmCYFo

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Asuron posted:

Eventually the patreon bucks are going to slow down enough that he'll have to get off his rear end eventually, but by then what remains of his audience will have died off completely and then what does he do with himself?

If his depression is anything like mine, dwindling Patreon bux will not be any motivation at all, it'll just drive him further into demotivational self-loathing where he's obsessing over, "Oh, gently caress, look how poo poo I am, I haven't done videos in forever, everyone hates me now because they know I'm poo poo and there's nothing I can do to prove I'm not poo poo, might as well just go lie in the bed and stuff myself full of unhealthy foods like the piece of poo poo I am and wait to die."

I don't recommend depression for anyone trying to put out a lot of stuff on a regular basis. It really doesn't help at all.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Robert Denby posted:

I mean, how do you diss the Plinkett Reviews

I mean, the Plinkett Reviews by Red Letter Media. Technically they came out in 2012, but more technically they belong to every century, era, eon, whatever you want to say. It is the most formidable piece of art ever filmed, and therefore I think it isn't violating any rules of debate to repeat it. Actually, any system in which talking about the Plinkett Reviews would violate its rules would be by definition a tyranny, since watching the videos, yes, is freedom itself. It is artistic freedom. It is intellectual freedom. It is political freedom. It is even, I dare say, existential freedom.
We are lucky to be alive right now because we are almost as close as you can live to the epicenter of the earthquake that the Plinkett created upon their release in 2012. It is not an exaggeration to say that its release marks the beginning of a revolution of consciousness. The heady and disruptive '60s were merely a prelude to Red Letter Media's arrival.

But you have to understand something. We're not here to watch the reviews. The reviews are here to watch us. In truth, they already have . But we have to watch it watching us. That's our task. As Rich Evans said in 2013 , "There has to be a reason why we're alive and conscious at this point in history." Wink wink. Nudge nudge. He was dumbing it down for the folks sitting cross-legged on the floor when he said that. Yes, there is a reason. To watch the Plinkett Reviews. To allow them to teach us. Who we are. Where we're going. What art is. What life is. What love is. Rich Evans was saying: "watch the drat reviews!"

Are we going to disappoint him?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Robert Denby posted:

Exactly, its like reading a CD thread, complete with the same "I'm reclaiming something indefensibly bad because YOU JUST DON'T GET IT MAN" garbage. They also defended "Sucker Punch" as a feminist masterpiece, and there's a guy on there whose sole job is fellating Trey Parker and Matt Stone.

Also all this Spoony talk has made me realize I haven't watched anything he's made in almost five years.

To hide from the truth of Red Letter Media is sheer madness. It is folly in itself. Only a pure form of self destructive nihilism could hide from the brilliant light the character of Mr. Plinkett shows about ourselves, the world, and the Star Wars reviews. The works of Red Letter Media were the unknown telos of all human art before they shone down upon us, redeeming us from our ignorance.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Rest easy, know that when the writer of that article dies, Rich Evans will be there to judge him for his sins. He will be there, wearing a Darth Vader mask and masturbating a figurine of an astromech droid, to decide his fate for infinity.

Augus fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Nov 17, 2015

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
I would seriously consider becoming a member of a religion based around rich evan's laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Puppy Time posted:

I don't recommend depression for anyone trying to put out a lot of stuff on a regular basis. It really doesn't help at all.
I don't think depression is something you can recommend. (Did you mean anti-depressants?)

To hide from the truth of Red Letter Media is sheer madness. It is folly in itself. Only a pure form of self destructive nihilism could hide from the brilliant light the character of Mr. Plinkett shows about ourselves, the world, and the Star Wars reviews. The works of Red Letter Media were the unknown telos of all human art before they shone down upon us, redeeming us from our ignorance.
In the end, we're all just average.

• Locked thread