Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
:bsdsnype:

on that snype poo poo motherfuckers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
holy poo poo. the years of rice and salt audiobook is narrated by Bronson Pinchot aka Balki from Perfect Strangers

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
I think this might be his first gig since the early
90s

I'm gonna be nice to him and KSR after the "old man hates space, cause it will kill you without blinking" book that Aurora was. someone said this book decent but I forget

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
watching KSR go from optimistic to pessimistic as gently caress about space in 5 books is pretty amusing though

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I'm watching addams family values and I just noticed that every time morticia is on screen there's a light shining across her face it's a really good touch

also pubert is still the best name ever

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

so iron man 3 is ok, I can get on board with smth that "hacks your brain's repair center" so you can regrow body parts or whatever and I can maybe get that it can turn someone into a human bomb (a cool ep of fringe) but how does that let you punch through metal and survive explosions and poo poo? and also lol at the house being destroyed by missiles. like one comes right into the living room ten feet from everyone and they all just kinda bounce up like they're on a lovely trampoline. the parts with him and the kid were cute tho

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
iron man 3 is really funny and I love how it constantly riffs on the point that the man and the suit are separate entities

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah iron man 3 looked kind of bad from the trailers but then it turned out to be the best of the 3 (aside from the ending).

where bruce wayne is really batman tony stark is tony stark.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

yeah iron man 3 looked kind of bad from the trailers but then it turned out to be the best of the 3 (aside from the ending).

where bruce wayne is really batman tony stark is tony stark.

yeah the ending was pretty bad

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I enjoyed the first movie but the trailers made the sequels look pretty bad so I just never watched em. vOv

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SynthOrange posted:

I enjoyed the first movie but the trailers made the sequels look pretty bad so I just never watched em. vOv

iron man 2 is bad because marvel changed the story to make tony stark & his family look better

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
the first one was good

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
tony stark is a piece of poo poo and I hate iron man

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

SmokaDustbowl posted:

his pro-prima nocta policy is very divisive

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

SmokaDustbowl posted:

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
superheroes in general are so played out at this stage. people will look at 2010s as the heyday of superheros in the same way we look at 1950s westerns

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
my dad lives across the country now and I'm sad I wont be able to go see the new star wars with him. I never got to see mad max with him either

at least we got to go see dredd in theaters

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Amethyst posted:

superheroes in general are so played out at this stage. people will look at 2010s as the heyday of superheros in the same way we look at 1950s westerns

so we still have another decade or so of them, but mostly from Italians

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
my family will all be together for xmas and I already bought the tickets for us to all go see the star wars in imax

also I just watched ex machina and lol that dumb motherfucker didn't put the 3 laws into his robots.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

computer parts posted:

so we still have another decade or so of them, but mostly from Italians

america already beat them to the ultra violent version of the genre.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
TV networks still ran westerns in prime time up til the early 70s,its hosed up

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Nintendo Kid posted:

TV networks still ran westerns in prime time up til the early 1990s,its hosed up

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
superheroes are already a meta-genre in the same way that first-person shooter is for games, we're just in the phase where a lot of them are based on existing comic book properties. ethan hunt is basically batman, except he catches terrorists instead of costumed nutjobs. the last few fast and furious movies are about dudes whose superpower is cars

we might get tired of marvel adaptations but no one will ever get tired of superhuman feats in general

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Shaggar posted:

my family will all be together for xmas and I already bought the tickets for us to all go see the star wars in imax

also I just watched ex machina and lol that dumb motherfucker didn't put the 3 laws into his robots.

aw man :(

i was recently diagnosed with cancer of the mom, and we're flying her to hawaii to hang out for a week in december. i just thought "oh poo poo i could go see the new star wars with mom which would be cool because she took me to see the first one like a million goddamn times" but it turns out our week in hawaii ends a couple of days too early

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
firefly is a western

just one that leans heavy on the "former confederates were all over" aspect

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Trig Discipline posted:

i was recently diagnosed with cancer of the mom, and we're flying her to hawaii to hang out for a week in december. i just thought "oh poo poo i could go see the new star wars with mom which would be cool because she took me to see the first one like a million goddamn times" but it turns out our week in hawaii ends a couple of days too early

get a few more days. it will be worth it.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Trig Discipline posted:

i'm sure it will be in cinemas for ages

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

I think it was originally about Stark's alcoholism and he was doing crazy stupid things not because he thought he was dying but because he was drunk all the time. Somebody probably decided that was too serious a topic for a superhero movie and changed it.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Shaggar posted:

get a few more days. it will be worth it.

she can't do it. she wants to be back home for her bday which is on the 12th

i mean it's kinda lame to be in hawaii and say "hey let's go see a movie" but she's 68 and just had surgery so she may not be up for too much more than that anyway

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Trig Discipline posted:

oh also because she still has to work because america lol

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Trig Discipline posted:

oh also because she still has to work because america lol

fffffffff

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Trig Discipline posted:

that poo poo sucks my mom beat breast cancer not too long ago and it was lovely

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i mean don't get me wrong, things are looking good for her. had the surgery, chemo is going well so far, etc. and to be fair i don't know if she just didn't WANT to burn sick leave or didn't HAVE it to burn, but still she shouldn't be in a situation where she needs to have a job to be financially stable at this point in her life. people used to retire, if i recall correctly

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Trig Discipline posted:

i mean it's kinda lame to be in hawaii and say "hey let's go see a movie" but she's 68 and just had surgery so she may not be up for too much more than that anyway

bummer

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Trig Discipline posted:

i mean don't get me wrong, things are looking good for her. had the surgery, chemo is going well so far, etc. and to be fair i don't know if she just didn't WANT to burn sick leave or didn't HAVE it to burn, but still she shouldn't be in a situation where she needs to have a job to be financially stable at this point in her life. people used to retire, if i recall correctly

it's an old people thing they gotta keep up appearances and poo poo. my mum is like that except she fights people

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SmokaDustbowl posted:

it's an old people thing they gotta keep up appearances and poo poo. my mum is like that except she fights people

lmbo

her kids (me and the sibs) would definitely help out, but my mom has always been super proud about stuff like that. i can drop a decent sum of money bringing her to hawaii because that's a gift, but if i tried to give her 1/10 of that amount to help out with any bills, she'd tell me very politely that she wouldn't take my charity. mom would have to seriously hit rock bottom to take charity from anybody

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Trig Discipline posted:

lmbo

her kids (me and the sibs) would definitely help out, but my mom has always been super proud about stuff like that. i can drop a decent sum of money bringing her to hawaii because that's a gift, but if i tried to give her 1/10 of that amount to help out with any bills, she'd tell me very politely that she wouldn't take my charity. mom would have to seriously hit rock bottom to take charity from anybody

true that

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

and this is why people get socks for christmas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

pseudorandom name posted:

and this is why people get socks for christmas

i bought you some socks so you could learn to stand on your own two feet, junior!

• Locked thread