Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

My Imaginary GF posted:

What are they gonna attack him on?

Probably all the embarrassing things in his long life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

NewMars posted:

A wing and a prayer.

Sounds like 9/11

Jewel Repetition posted:

You say it like those are the negative aspects of his candidacy

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

You say it like those are the negative aspects of his candidacy

They could be if they become part of the narrative.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I saw a Ted Cruz bumper sticker this week. First bumper sticker I've seen that isn't Carson, Trump, or Sanders.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

this current state of affairs, where trump is a conservative standard bearer, has only existed for what, six months max? we've got twice that much time between now and the general election. also, all of this is happening within the republican thought bubble. will trumpmania expand its sphere of activity to people who don't consider themselves conservative? will gop anti-trump money be able to stop stump him or will it just retrospectively look like a stab in the back after the democratic money starts pouring in en masse in the regular campaign? will a delegitimized gop candidate, whoever it is, be able to beat hillary, or will the gop seek an opponent to the one-term incumbent hillary in 2019 with a base that's even more disaffected from their money-bag elites than we've seen in 2015? only time will tell my friends

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 16, 2015

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Patter Song posted:

I saw a Ted Cruz bumper sticker this week. First bumper sticker I've seen that isn't Carson, Trump, or Sanders.

poo poo, I saw a Hillary one last week. That was a real shocker.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

oystertoadfish posted:

this current state of affairs, where trump is a conservative standard bearer, has only existed for what, six months max? we've got twice that much time between now and the general election. also, all of this is happening within the republican thought bubble. will trumpmania expand its sphere of activity to people who don't consider themselves conservative? will gop anti-trump money be able to stop stump him or will it just retrospectively look like a stab in the back after the democratic money starts pouring in en masse in the regular campaign? will a delegitimized gop candidate, whoever it is, be able to beat hillary, or will the gop seek an opponent to the one-term incumbent hillary in 2019 with a base that's even more disaffected from their money-bag elites than we've seen in 2015? only time will tell my friends

All that matters is Trump stays on top until the convention. He's not going to win the general.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Jewel Repetition posted:

All that matters is Trump stays on top until the convention. He's not going to win the general.

i dont think so either but im trying not to get all assumptiony

tbh i think his negative coattails might even give the democrats a two-year rental on both houses of congress. but im an optimist :unsmith:

the pessimistic side is that if we get another depression recession right before the election it might not matter who's on the ballot, the non-incumbent will lose. or maybe trump stumps all of us. i guess i can't entirely rule it out

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 16, 2015

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
The modernity and madness of 2015 has my head spinning. At the start of this cycle I followed conventional wisdom and figured Jeb was a lock. Jeb rolled out so large that he seemed unbeatable. Then Trump came along and turned the coronation of Jeb Bush into an absolute poo poo show.

Few things to consider moving forward:
- Will TV ad buys even work? We(in general) consume media differently in 2015 than we did in even 2011. Ratings are REALLY low across the board, and when people do watch TV they have tools which allow them to watch their favorite programs ad free. So far this cycle Jeb and his pacs have already spent millions in TV ads and his numbers have dropped. Club for Growth dropped a million in ads against Trump in Iowa and his numbers fell a few points, but was it the ads or the rise of Gentle Ben? With that said I still think radio ads are a good bet, and Ted Cruz is all over that market.

- Trump and Carson are two candidates who GET social media. Trump on twitter, and Carson on facebook are revolutionizing the media game. Social media feels more authentic than an ad, and tends to bond people to their candidate of choice.

- The idea that "people aren't paying attention this far out' is ridiculous. The right is very engaged this cycle, just look at the historical debate numbers. What makes those high numbers even more impressive is that they come at a time when TV ratings are pathetically low.

- Polls have been fucky lately, and many in the GOPe fear Trump's numbers could be under-reported much like in Kentucky with Matt Bevin. All the polls showed Bevin fairly even with his competitor, but he won in a landslide. I think enthusiasm is the x-factor. So far Trump and Carson seem to be the only ones really getting people fired up.

- The general feeling in the base is one of revolt, anger, and desperation. They were fooled by McCain, then fooled again by Romney. Many in the base feel this is do or die for America, and unless they chose a fighter they will lose the White House, and the country.

- Establishment support could be a bad thing in this age of revolt. We're not seeing a lot of endorsements, right now, and there are rumblings that Rubio has to watch out if he becomes the establishment's guy.

Montasque fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 16, 2015

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

To prove that the Facebook thing from yesterday wasn't just a fluke:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Jewel Repetition posted:

To prove that the Facebook thing from yesterday wasn't just a fluke:

Some youtube 'southerner' got mentioned on the local newspaper website, as writing a controversial facebook post requiring that if you stand with paris you admit Obama is wrong to say Iran's values are like America's, and that radical islamists must be wiped from the face of the earth. ~57k likes as of now.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

trump might be good enough to pivot off of this poo poo in the general election campaign but if he can't then i don't think he'll win. most americans, i think, are too disconnected from politics to bother either hating or liking obama that much

also when did 'bobbie helms' decide not to spell his name bobby wtf is that poo poo

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Montasque posted:

The modernity and madness of 2015 has my head spinning. At the start of this cycle I followed conventional wisdom and figured Jeb was a lock. Jeb rolled out so large that he seemed unbeatable. Then Trump came along and turned the coronation of Jeb Bush into an absolute poo poo show.

Few things to consider moving forward:
- Will TV ad buys even work? We(in general) consume media differently in 2015 than we did in even 2011. Ratings are REALLY low across the board, and when people do watch TV they have tools which allow them to watch their favorite programs ad free. So far this cycle Jeb and his pacs have already spent millions in TV ads and his numbers have dropped. Club for Growth dropped a million in ads against Trump in Iowa and his numbers fell a few points, but was it the ads or the rise of Gentle Ben? With that said I still think radio ads are a good bet, and Ted Cruz is all over that market.

- Trump and Carson are two candidates who GET social media. Trump on twitter, and Carson on facebook are revolutionizing the media game. Social media feels more authentic than an ad, and tends to bond people to their candidate of choice.

- The idea that "people aren't paying attention this far out' is ridiculous. The right is very engaged this cycle, just look at the historical debate numbers. What makes those high numbers even more impressive is that they come at a time when TV ratings are pathetically low.

- Polls have been fucky lately, and many in the GOPe fear Trump's numbers could be under-reported much like in Kentucky with Matt Bevin. All the polls showed Bevin fairly even with his competitor, but he won in a landslide. I think enthusiasm is the x-factor. So far Trump and Carson seem to be the only ones really getting people fired up.

- The general feeling in the base is one of revolt, anger, and desperation. They were fooled by McCain, then fooled again by Romney. Many in the base feel this is do or die for America, and unless they chose a fighter they will lose the White House, and the country.

- Establishment support could be a bad thing in this age of revolt. We're not seeing a lot of endorsements, right now, and there are rumblings that Rubio has to watch out if he becomes the establishment's guy.

It feels so good to read plausible arguments for a Trump nomination.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Related, Paul Krugman is wondering the same thing:

quote:

The Regime Change Problem in American Politics
November 13, 2015 3:44 pm

This post isn’t about what you think it’s about. I’m not talking about a looming coup; I’m talking about the problems facing political science, which — it recently occurred to me — are a bit like the problems facing macroeconomics after 2008.

First things first: I’m a big admirer of political science, and a fairly heavy consumer of the more quantitative end. Larry Bartels, McCarty/Poole/Rosenthal, Alan Abramowitz, Andrew Gelman, and more have helped shape my understanding of what is going on in this country; I get more out of any one of their papers than out of a whole election cycle’s worth of conventional horse-race punditry. Studying what actually happens in elections, as opposed to spinning tales based on a few up-close-and personal interviews, is definitely the way to go.

Yet I don’t think I’m being unfair in saying that so far this cycle the political scientists aren’t doing too well. In particular, standard models of how the nomination process works seem to be having trouble with the durability of clowns. Things don’t seem to be working the way they used to.

And this makes me think of the way some economic analysis went astray after 2008. In particular, I’m reminded of the way many fairly reasonable analysts underestimated the adverse effects of austerity. They looked at historical episodes, and this led them to expect around a half point of GDP contraction for every point of fiscal tightening. What actually seems to have happened was around three times that much.

Now, as it happens we know why — and some people (e.g., me) predicted this in advance: the conditions under which past austerity took place were different from the recent episode, in which monetary policy was constrained by the zero lower bound and unable to offset fiscal contraction. But the point was that the world had entered a different regime, in which historical relationships could be and were misleading.

And surely it’s not too much of a stretch to say that something equally or more fundamental has happened to US politics. Partisan divisions run deeper; establishment figures are widely distrusted; the GOP base has gone mad; and so on. History is just less of a guide than it used to be.

In the case of macroeconomics, fortunately, we had models that allowed us to make reasonably good predictions about how the regime would shift at the ZLB. If there’s anything comparable in political science, I don’t know about it (but would be happy to be enlightened.)

I’ll still take academic analysis over horserace punditry any day. But we really do know less than ever.
http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/11/13/the-regime-change-problem-in-american-politics/

The sentences that I bolded are similar to the thoughts I have had in the last month or so. It reminded me of how in September, Shagalectic posted an article about Trump's chances that had this quote:

quote:

"If Trump is nominated, then everything we think we know about presidential nominations is wrong,” Larry Sabato, head of the center for politics at the University of Virginia, wrote last week.

Even if Rubio gets the nomination, or Jeb gets it with a comeback, the way things are "supposed to" happen (And I still am inclined to think will happen, due to historical precedent), I still feel as though there's something off about this year. It would be to the benefit of political science as a field if we could get a better answer about why the clowns are so durable this year, and not just be satisfied with "social media", "outsider outrage", or a changing media environment. I want something specific, that can be used in the future to make predictions.

William Bear fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 16, 2015

Nouvelle Vague
Feb 16, 2011

Endut! Hoch Hech!

oystertoadfish posted:

also when did 'bobbie helms' decide not to spell his name bobby wtf is that poo poo

Probably because he's a woman?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Jewel Repetition posted:

Hillary can't beat a Trump running from the left.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

My Imaginary GF posted:

Hillary can't beat a Trump running from the left.

How many Trumps are in the race?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

memy posted:

How many Trumps are in the race?

Trump is a quantum candidate

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Jewel Repetition posted:

...embarrassing Trump? This is a contradiction of terms, friend.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Immortan posted:

...embarrassing Trump? This is a contradiction of terms, friend.

After all, how do you shame the shameless?

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

political science is built on some assumptions that have been true for x elections in a row. statistically that has no effect on the likelihood of the next election conforming to the hypotheses,* but emotionally it makes us all more confident - so in some sense you have a growing disconnect between statistical likelihood and human confidence that keeps building up until reality introduces a breaking point. it might be this election - it still might not! but i think it probably is. and there's just no answer; if you don't have a sample that's representative of your next election you can't build statistical arguments, and the whole problem here is that our current situation has little precedent in the sample

so political scientists, or should i say poolitical scientists, are hosed. also paul krugman is an arrogant jackass albeit a smart one, but i think his predeliction toward respecting people with the sorts of academic credentials he so greatly respects when masturbating to his own resume and whose names he can drop makes him nothing more than a parrotter of consensus outside of his area of expertise. which makes him a very good new york times columnist

edit: *this is kinda bullshit tbh especially just going 'statistically,' which is basically the same as 'actually,'

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 16, 2015

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Nouvelle Vague posted:

Probably because he's a woman?

i got owned

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

So what's the republican plan for overcoming the fact that the next POTUS will probably be nominating 2 new supreme court justices (one of whom will surely be replacing RBG)?
It doesn't even have to be about abortions. Hillary's attack ads can be about basic healthcare, contraceptives, and mammograms, and everybody will get the message loud and clear.

William Bear posted:

It would be to the benefit of political science as a field if we could get a better answer about why the clowns are so durable this year, and not just be satisfied with "social media", "outsider outrage", or a changing media environment. I want something specific.

Trump is not a clown. He has spent a decade or more seriously committed to the fundraising arm of the RNC's political machine in Florida and Ohio (and probably more key states, I don't have specific knowledge outside of those two). A bunch of feckless posh dilettantes call him a clown because they have to keep the money flowing from their establishment billionaire donors.

This isn't a joke to Trump - he's laid the groundwork and he's going for it. The longer the RNC refuses to take him seriously, the worse off they will be.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I'm sure an enterprising political scientist will come along and invent a model that better accounts for the resilience of clowns. The financial crisis wasn't a real crisis for economics, and this won't be a crisis for political science.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

Do It Once Right posted:

So what's the republican plan for overcoming the fact that the next POTUS will probably be nominating 2 new supreme court justices (one of whom will surely be replacing RBG)?
It doesn't even have to be about abortions. Hillary's attack ads can be about basic healthcare, contraceptives, and mammograms, and everybody will get the message loud and clear.

We already have 5 GOP nominees on the court and SURPRISE abortion, contraception, etc. are all still legal.

It's the Democrat appointees who are a threat to civil liberties and our constitutional rights. They were lock-step in Heller and McDonald, and one GOP appointee being replaced by a Democrat president is all they need to trash the bill of rights.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Boosted_C5 posted:

We already have 5 GOP nominees on the court and SURPRISE abortion, contraception, etc. are all still legal.

It's the Democrat appointees who are a threat to civil liberties and our constitutional rights. They were lock-step in Heller and McDonald, and one GOP appointee being replaced by a Democrat president is all they need to trash the bill of rights.
Curses! Boosted's insightful masculine alpha vision has seen through our dark plan to destroy the one bastion of Constitutional rights that prevents us from sending forth our blue-helmeted troopers from the nether hells. Retreat to Pluto!

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Boosted_C5 posted:

Boosted absorbed Smoothrich! Together, they are Majin Boostrich 2.5!

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

William Bear posted:

Even if Rubio gets the nomination, or Jeb gets it with a comeback, the way things are "supposed to" happen (And I still am inclined to think will happen, due to historical precedent), I still feel as though there's something off about this year. It would be to the benefit of political science as a field if we could get a better answer about why the clowns are so durable this year, and not just be satisfied with "social media", "outsider outrage", or a changing media environment. I want something specific, that can be used in the future to make predictions.

This whole thing with Trump isn't exactly a ~~new phenomenon~~ anymore than Tea Party folks primarying Republicans is. It's just not a frequent phenomenon. There is a mismatch between what the Republican party elites believe and what the Republican base believes. Until those two groups realign, I imagine we'll continue to see outsiders of "clowns" gain traction if they can appeal to what the base believes in.

E: I agree with the prior post about how these people aren't clowns. They're not behaving the way traditional party elites would, and it's because that's not what they are.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Jewel Repetition posted:

:lol:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

LuciferMorningstar posted:

This whole thing with Trump isn't exactly a ~~new phenomenon~~ anymore than Tea Party folks primarying Republicans is. It's just not a frequent phenomenon. There is a mismatch between what the Republican party elites believe and what the Republican base believes. Until those two groups realign, I imagine we'll continue to see outsiders of "clowns" gain traction if they can appeal to what the base believes in.

E: I agree with the prior post about how these people aren't clowns. They're not behaving the way traditional party elites would, and it's because that's not what they are.

I guess i just dont why people LOVE trump so much. most of the Conservative parts of my family hate his guts and are scared he will get nominated and win. is it just because he is loud dick head who says "real" things. I mean i think politicaly cruz and carson would be worse, but trump would be pretty loving bad.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Vegetable posted:

I'm sure an enterprising political scientist will come along and invent a model that better accounts for the resilience of clowns. The financial crisis wasn't a real crisis for economics, and this won't be a crisis for political science.

It depends to a large extent on the type of political scientist one is thinking of. The article mentions more quantitative political science, and such practitioners are generally more flexible because they care about what the data says, rather than having some underlying qualitative political science philosophy they believe in. The article mentions Andrew Gelman for example (who is arguably the greatest applied statistician in the world; he just happens to have an interest in political science), who will simply shrug and let his statistical models update themselves (he does a lot of his work using bayesian nonparametric models, which basically means the forms of the model is learned from data, rather than imposing much if any structure to the model manually). I was talking with him the week before last about his political science models, and I certainly didn't get the impression that he's particularly concerned about the state of the field.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Vegetable posted:

I'm sure an enterprising political scientist

:lol:

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Shakugan posted:

It depends to a large extent on the type of political scientist one is thinking of. The article mentions more quantitative political science, and such practitioners are generally more flexible because they care about what the data says, rather than having some underlying qualitative political science philosophy they believe in. The article mentions Andrew Gelman for example (who is arguably the greatest applied statistician in the world; he just happens to have an interest in political science), who will simply shrug and let his statistical models update themselves (he does a lot of his work using bayesian nonparametric models, which basically means the forms of the model is learned from data, rather than imposing much if any structure to the model manually). I was talking with him the week before last about his political science models, and I certainly didn't get the impression that he's particularly concerned about the state of the field.

But seriously , :lol:

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

olo

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I guess i just dont why people LOVE trump so much. most of the Conservative parts of my family hate his guts and are scared he will get nominated and win. is it just because he is loud dick head who says "real" things. I mean i think politicaly cruz and carson would be worse, but trump would be pretty loving bad.

Presumably because the people who support him fall into one of two categories:

1. They're at least modestly politically informed and have some political opinions. They believe that Trump best represents their position.

2. They're uninformed and have heard a lot of people talking about Trump. Rather than admit that they don't know anything, they pick Trump is surveys.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

^^and when it comes to, specifically, the results of polling, i think 2) right there is a big, big, big, big part of it. that's the part that in theory might fade away as we get to the 'real' campaign where more than 15% of the country is paying attention. but there were similar arguments put forward to suggest that trump's polling lead couldn't possibly last more than a month or two. or three. or four. or five. or so on

Dapper_Swindler posted:

most of the Conservative parts of my family hate his guts and are scared he will get nominated and win.

i don't know your family so i won't go too far out on this rotting unsound limb but i will say that the trump supporters seem to buy into a sort of conservative civil war, where the more establishment-flavored types who have directed policy are now republicans in name only and betrayers of the ideal who have to be defeated by the real conservatives. like the tea party idea but taken a step or five further

again i don't know your family but maybe they're more comfortable with the conservative status quo than the trump supporter type of conservative?

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

oystertoadfish posted:

^^and when it comes to, specifically, the results of polling, i think 2) right there is a big, big, big, big part of it. that's the part that in theory might fade away as we get to the 'real' campaign where more than 15% of the country is paying attention. but there were similar arguments put forward to suggest that trump's polling lead couldn't possibly last more than a month or two. or three. or four. or five. or so on

Research going back to Converse in the 1960s pretty clearly demonstrates that a substantial number of Americans are politically uninformed. There's a real lack of consistency across time in the responses people give to surveys, and people tend to prefer to give an answer that they don't understand over admitting that they don't understand. This is why Joementum keeps mentioning how Trump's polling is tied to media coverage. If he stops getting media coverage or the tide turns against him, all the politically uninformed folks are going to go elsewhere, depending on what information filters through to them.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
So what I'm hearing is that Trump is our version of the Mule. Just in time for HBO's Foundation series!

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

one disconnect that always amuses me is how political punditry, which makes its bread and butter off of readership that's vastly better informed than most american voters, takes data from surveys of voters and creates narratives that pretend the polls' respondents have the knowledge and assumptions and biases of the readership they're trying to make money off of

so you get these stories about how ben carson is going to fall in the polls because of some specific interview response he gave, or how trump is being mean to someone who all of We Serious People know is just untouchable, when the data points in the polls are people who mostly don't even know the name of america's vice president

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I know a few dum dums who repeat stuff they read in emails (did you hear? McDonalds puts meal worms in their hamburgers as filler!) like it's fact and are uninformed about the world in general and they love Trump because he "tells it like it is" and isn't "another crooked politician".

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Nov 16, 2015

• Locked thread