Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

smg77 posted:

The low ratings aren't that surprising considering that the Democratic primary is boring (unless you're a Bernie Bro who still thinks Sanders has a chance) and it was on a Saturday night when nobody is watching TV.

The most watched debate in the 2008 Democratic primary was on a Saturday though (December 13, 2007 in Iowa).

Looking at it now the debate schedule was all sorts of hosed. 4 of the debates weren't broadcast live on anything. One was done exclusively on the radio. One was done on the Logo cable network which had only launched like 18 months before, and was still only available at all on a minority of cable/satellite subscriptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

The most watched debate in the 2008 Democratic primary was on a Saturday though (December 13, 2007 in Iowa).

Yeah but the race was much more interesting. By December the weaknesses of Hillary's inevitability were starting to show and Edwards and Obama were starting to look like real alternatives which is what's missing this time around.

Also from the wikipedia article:

quote:

Dennis Kucinich was excluded because he had not rented office space in the state. The Register determined “that a person working out of his home did not meet our criteria for a campaign office and full-time paid staff in Iowa.”

I miss Kucinich. :shobon:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

smg77 posted:

The low ratings aren't that surprising considering that the Democratic primary is boring (unless you're a Bernie Bro who still thinks Sanders has a chance) and it was on a Saturday night when nobody is watching TV.

Also there was an Hawkeye game going on at the same time, despite the debate being in Iowa.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I've seen lots of idiots on twitter claiming that it was making them fall asleep. People talking about real issues? BORING.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Tigntink posted:

I've seen lots of idiots on twitter claiming that it was making them fall asleep. People talking about real issues? BORING.

It's talking about talking about the real issues that gets the viewers.

CuckEverlasting
Nov 12, 2015

by zen death robot
I'm sure if they brought in some of the mizzou protesters to debate that would of gotten better ratings.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
There's a great interview with Paul Ryan on 60 Minutes, they got to talk to his wife for a little bit, she seemed like she was on the verge of tears when they were talking about him being speaker, I get the feeling they're both still deeply uncomfortable with him having that job. I think he'd be a lot happier sitting in a back room making up policy without any of the politics poo poo.

Also, he seems like a nice enough guy. I still think his policy is dumb, but talking about his dad, grandfather, great grandfather all dying in their fifties made his whole health kick make a lot more sense.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Mister Macys posted:

Is there any other kind of nightclub?

Please note: I automatically include any club or artist that uses the Amen Break, soo basically 95% of modern music since the 2000s.

The Amen Break fell out of favor in the mid-2000s, though...

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

This guy is an idiot. You can't redeem anyone that's a raping, slaving murderer and torturer of anyone who is remotely different from their pants-on-head crazy sect and supposed Caliphate. I don't remember any holy book saying "and then we raped any woman we could catch, and it was good." Some converts may have started as human beings, but once you've crossed into marauding rape slaver, there is no going back. Especially as many of those European converts are educated enough that they should know better.

Which is why Columbus day is probably the most offensive holiday imaginable.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Yoshifan823 posted:

There's a great interview with Paul Ryan on 60 Minutes, they got to talk to his wife for a little bit, she seemed like she was on the verge of tears when they were talking about him being speaker, I get the feeling they're both still deeply uncomfortable with him having that job. I think he'd be a lot happier sitting in a back room making up policy without any of the politics poo poo.

Also, he seems like a nice enough guy. I still think his policy is dumb, but talking about his dad, grandfather, great grandfather all dying in their fifties made his whole health kick make a lot more sense.

That's a bunch of PR bullshit. Ryan badly wanted the job with every ounce of his body and he's mixed up with the bad part of GOP politics as much as anyone.

He's not some kind of wonky policy guy who hates politics, which I thought was clear by now. He made all of those demands for the speakership, got none of them accepted and said alright I'll take the job anyway.

The whole "my wife didn't want me to run" or pretending like you're above the fray is a tactic used to make them look more familiar and friendly with the public in interviews like that.

You can't rewrite Ryan's history since 2010 as if he was just off minding his own business being a wonky wonk, instead he was one of the leaders of the GOP obstructionism and political extremism.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Paul Ryan is a complete and utter rear end in a top hat. It is folly to ever entertain otherwise.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Paul Ryan is a complete and utter rear end in a top hat. It is folly to ever entertain otherwise.

Yeah boggles my mind how some people still think he's some kind of policy wonk. They need to watch the 2012 debate with Ryan vs Biden. Ryan gets caught up in multiple lies but more importantly his entire policy wonk routine crumbles when confronted with facts or questions.

This is the same guy who was giddy and already picking out his committee replacement on his flight back to Boston on 2012 election night because he was so sure he was going to win.

If he had any honest want or need to strictly stick to policy in a backroom he would've turned down the VP offer and also turned down the speakership and stuck with his committee.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
Has Trump reached peak petty?
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/666045638245810176

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

Talmonis posted:

I don't remember any holy book saying "and then we raped any woman we could catch, and it was good."

This is literally in the bible.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Mitt Romney posted:

The whole "my wife didn't want me to run" or pretending like you're above the fray is a tactic used to make them look more familiar and friendly with the public in interviews like that.

No politician who ever says they want to spend more time with their family really does.

If they did, they would just do it and not :words: about it. Or not take a 24/7 job like being a Congressperson in the first place.

This isn't any different than anyone else, of course, but we like to pretend politicians are noble creatures who mean what they say.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Combed Thunderclap posted:

This isn't any different than anyone else, of course, but we like to pretend politicians are noble creatures who mean what they say.

Anyone who has seen even local politics knows that you have to be broken in a specific way to seek office as small as city council.

At the very least you have delusions about how the world works.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

RuanGacho posted:

Anyone who has seen even local politics knows that you have to be broken in a specific way to seek office as small as city council.

At the very least you have delusions about how the world works.

Depends on where you live really. In a lot of places it's a comfy job that you can sit and coast in forever with minimal work, as an addon to whatever your real job is. You just gotta sneak in when the incumbents die or somehow decide to leave without a clear political heir.

There's many towns/cities out there where you can get $20,000 a year for like 20 weekday evening meetings throughout a year, and you just need to whip up 1300 votes to keep that when the election comes up.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I haven't seen it reported here in USPol yet (or may have missed it), but the recent Democratic debate pulled around 8.5 million viewers, which I believe is the smallest number of any debate so far (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Also, a moderator of the debate met with each campaign beforehand that day to talk about the questions he'd be asking, due to the news of the Paris terrorist attack, which sounds like a weird thing for a moderator to do. Has any previous debate had moderator(s) discuss topics to the campaigns beforehand?

I'm sure some of that was due to people not knowing exactly what channel CBS was. For whatever reason it wasn't listed in TV Guide books either, for the old folks who still subscribe.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

whoops, wrong thread

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Triglav posted:

I'm sure some of that was due to people not knowing exactly what channel CBS was. For whatever reason it wasn't listed in TV Guide books either, for the old folks who still subscribe.

Is there no end to the strings DWS will pull in her quest for a spot on :shillary:'s cabinet?! For shame.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Triglav posted:

No wonder you couldn't find CBS, if you thought it was a subscription channel.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Yoshifan823 posted:

Paul Ryan did a thing recently where he mounted a push against free/reduced lunches for low-income schoolkids.

He literally wants to starve children.

And is in no conceivable way a good or nice dude.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Combed Thunderclap posted:

No politician who ever says they want to spend more time with their family really does.
Other than Biden, but that has to do with his son.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

wolfman101 posted:

This is literally in the bible.

It would appear you're absolutely right! Right alongside the anti-homosexuality stuff as well. Hopefully some theologist will point out this disturbing revelation to the evangelicals in our midst...aaany time now.

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

PupsOfWar posted:

He literally wants to starve children.

I'd like to think that both sides are capable of arguing the merits of each party's members policy actions without saying that one side literally wants to starve children

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Meg From Family Guy posted:

I'd like to think that both sides are capable of arguing the merits of each party's members policy actions without saying that one side literally wants to starve children

I don't think you understand, this isn't hyperbole. They think it builds character and motivates them. I'm sure someone can get you a link.
EDIT: Like this one where Rush says they should go dumpster diving if they're so hungry

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 16, 2015

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Meg From Family Guy posted:

Ok for some reason he seems to think that churches and charities will pick up the slack when people inevitably start hurting real bad due to his policies despite these organizations already being overburdened at the moment. Better?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

SirKibbles posted:

Ok for some reason he seems to think that churches and charities will pick up the slack when people inevitably start hurting real bad due to his policies despite these organizations already being overburdened at the moment. Better?

I volunteered for a service that provided non-perishable lunches to poverty stricken students for the week and gave them discrete lunch bags so the other students wouldn't know they were so poor they had to get assistance.

Think of all the money they could save in lunch bags if the entire school was too poor to afford school lunches.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

HootTheOwl posted:

I don't think you understand, this isn't hyperbole. They think it builds character and motivates them. I'm sure someone can get you a link.
EDIT: Like this one where Rush says they should go dumpster diving if they're so hungry

Hunger can be a positive motivator.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Yoshifan823 posted:

Speaking of 60 Minutes, what's the thread's opinion on it? Good, bad? My dad watches it a lot but I never pay attention when it's on.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

60 Minutes is fine same general neo liberalism you get from most non fox news news outfits but they do some decent reporting.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

SoggyBobcat posted:

Speaking of 60 Minutes, what's the thread's opinion on it? Good, bad? My dad watches it a lot but I never pay attention when it's on.

They are like any of the other network news programs. Have had their history of problems but most of the time they are ok when it comes to non-political issues.

quote:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cbs-asks-lara-logan-to-take-leave-after-flawed-benghazi-report/

CBS asks Lara Logan to take leave after flawed Benghazi report

"60 Minutes" correspondent Lara Logan and her producer have been asked to take a leave of absence after a CBS News review of a now discredited 60 Minutes story on Benghazi found the report was "deficient in several respects."

They also seem to give quarterly Koch interviews in which they flower them with praise, including letting them say without laughing that their main fight is against all special interest groups. http://www.cbsnews.com/news/charles-koch-im-fighting-against-special-interests/

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
So a thing happened in north Minneapolis in Minnesota. Police shot a man that at least a couple of witnesses say was handcuffed. Right now there are a bunch of people setting up tents to camp out at the precinct until they release the video of what happened.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

PupsOfWar posted:

Paul Ryan did a thing recently where he mounted a push against free/reduced lunches for low-income schoolkids.

I really wish I lived in a country where a proposal like this, or anything that cuts funding or assistance for primary/secondary schools and students, would instantly be taken as reprehensible by the majority. :smith:

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

Silver Nitrate posted:

So a thing happened in north Minneapolis in Minnesota. Police shot a man that at least a couple of witnesses say was handcuffed. Right now there are a bunch of people setting up tents to camp out at the precinct until they release the video of what happened.

[url posted:

http://kstp.com/news/stories/S3963744.shtml?cat=1[/url]]
The suspect in the assault was keeping paramedics from treating the assault victim and police tried to calm him when they arrived, police said.
Folkens said a "physical altercation" happened between paramedics and the man. An officer then fired his weapon and hit the suspect...
Family members confirmed that the man shot was 24-year-old Jamar Clark and that he has died.
Preliminary information shows the man was not handcuffed, Minneapolis Police Chief Janeé Harteau said at an afternoon news conference. Investigators are now saying it is too early to tell if the man was handcuffed at the time he was shot.
"He didn't resist. He did not fight back. There was no struggle and he was in handcuffs when he [police] shot that young man," Sharp added that after police shot the man, they took him out of handcuffs
Another witness, Joseph Gipson, said "police killed him with his hands behind his back."
North Minneapolis has been plagued for years by severe inequality, and this isn't the first time charges of brutality or racism were made toward the MPD. I believe Harteau made the push for body-cameras (against the Police union) and increasing the relationship with the community, so it will be interesting to see how the investigation is handled.

stone soup fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Nov 16, 2015

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Wally Joyner posted:

North Minneapolis has been plagued for years by severe inequality, and this isn't the first time charges of brutality or racism were made toward the MPD. I believe Harteau made the push for body-cameras (against the Police union) and increasing the relationship with the community, so it will be interesting to see how the investigation is handled.

Yeah I'm watching this closely too. North Minneapolis is one of the worst neighborhoods and MPD is seriously nasty.

When my friend was homeless, he said that several times when MPD would show up to clear people out of an alley they did it by walking up to them and hitting the sleeping people with batons.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mitt Romney posted:

They are like any of the other network news programs. Have had their history of problems but most of the time they are ok when it comes to non-political issues.

They also seem to give quarterly Koch interviews in which they flower them with praise, including letting them say without laughing that their main fight is against all special interest groups. http://www.cbsnews.com/news/charles-koch-im-fighting-against-special-interests/

Logan peaked when she gave a segment interview about how journalists in baghdad were being poo poo-talked by talk radio scum back in the states for more or less not painting a rosy enough picture of the occupation. If I recall she essentially called Laura Ingraham out specifically.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Paul Ryan is an evil motherfucker, and a reptile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Swan Oat posted:

Paul Ryan is an evil motherfucker, and a reptile.

Reptiles lack the part of the brain that does evil, they act on instinct alone. You're thinking of a human or maybe a porpoise. They're nasty fuckers.

• Locked thread