Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Rated PG-34 posted:

I heard the gift card thingy doesn't work anymore. Can anyone confirm that it worked recently?

It worked for me on both PRG and Plat about a month ago.

Spending that you are reimbursed for pretty much never counts for spending limits. Theres a few exceptions, but unless it's specifically stated I wouldn't count on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I know this is mostly US card discussion but I just spotted that the Air New Zealand Platinum Amex has a sign up offer of $800 in airpoints for $2000 spend over 3 months. The offer is so good I think I'll be signing up for it.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
Does anyone know where I can find information about the credit score needed to get approved for the Citi Double Cash Card? I've had one credit card for three years, so I'm relatively new to the credit card game, but I recently found out my score is 794. I'd really like to figure out which cards I'm likely to be approved for before picking one.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

CreditKarma gives out "approval odds" as part of its promoted cards blurbs, but who knows if those are remotely grounded in reality. Regardless, I don't think the Double Cash card has a reputation of being terribly hard to qualify for. My score is likely somewhere around yours and I had no issue, and my girlfriend with less credit history was able to get one as well (albeit with a lower limit). They might start you off with a low limit, but I was able to get mine bumped to $20,000 just a few months after initially getting the card.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

CreditKarma gives out "approval odds" as part of its promoted cards blurbs, but who knows if those are remotely grounded in reality. Regardless, I don't think the Double Cash card has a reputation of being terribly hard to qualify for. My score is likely somewhere around yours and I had no issue, and my girlfriend with less credit history was able to get one as well (albeit with a lower limit). They might start you off with a low limit, but I was able to get mine bumped to $20,000 just a few months after initially getting the card.

Awesome, thanks. Is the Double Cash generally regarding as the best no fee cash back card? It seems to be on the top of most lists I've found online, but I'm also seeing a lot of positive things about cards like the Quicksilver.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Its only weakness is a lack of sign-up bonus, so short-term gains are nonexistent. In the long run though, it'll outperform most every card with its no annual fee.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Blakkout posted:

Awesome, thanks. Is the Double Cash generally regarding as the best no fee cash back card?
I don't know about "best" but it's certainly no-nonsense. If you're a serious churner and want to keep track of things like quarterly bonus categories, or want to game stuff like Discover's promotion with Apple Pay right now then there are better avenues I guess. I don't care that much and just choose to keep things pretty simple: AmEx BCP (annual fee, but the same would probably apply for BCE) for gas and groceries, and everything else on the DoubleCash card.

The Risk
Mar 6, 2014

Barry posted:

Choose your airline as United. Download the Mileageplus X app (or something like that). Buy an Amazon GC through that.

It will initially count towards minimum spend but won't once the reimbursement is applied.

I got the 100K platinum Amex offer. Just got two $100 Amazon gift cards via Mileage Plus X.

Let's see if it works!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Blakkout posted:

Does anyone know where I can find information about the credit score needed to get approved for the Citi Double Cash Card? I've had one credit card for three years, so I'm relatively new to the credit card game, but I recently found out my score is 794. I'd really like to figure out which cards I'm likely to be approved for before picking one.

I remember being in a similar position when I got mine. I think nerd wallet and their reviews has people mention their score. Or maybe it was credit karma. Either way try those.

For what it's worth I got approved with a lower score than that. While it was only approved for 900 at first it really isn't a problem if it's general spending and you stay on top of throwing money at constantly. Until I was able to raise my limit I would easily have a couple thousand of spending while still maintaining a <10% utilization.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Blakkout posted:

If you're talking about FICO, 794 will get you pretty much any card, though some will want to look at your income and assets as well. If you're talking VantageScore 3.0, most lenders do not use that score, but as it's intended to approximate FICO (though they don't say that directly), your FICO is probably good enough for pretty much any card. By essentially any scoring model, 794 is pretty good, and you should go ahead and apply - you very likely will be approved.

I wouldn't bother with Quicksilver: 1.5% is less than the 2.0% of the Citi Double Cash. Additionally, Capital One pulls from all three bureaus which, combined with their lackluster rewards cards, makes them very difficult to recommend.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

I was recently approved for the Double Cash with an average score of 700. They were even nice enough to send me a world elite mastercard. I'd be shocked if you were denied for any card that isn't aimed at a very high income earner

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Are the Citi easy deals points worth anything? They seem like the worst possible rewards system.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
It's also important to remember that there's a difference in the way your return is calculated when it comes to credit card rewards. Some cards give you very nice CASH value when it comes to points but others give you very generous REDEMPTION rewards.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Insane Totoro posted:

It's also important to remember that there's a difference in the way your return is calculated when it comes to credit card rewards. Some cards give you very nice CASH value when it comes to points but others give you very generous REDEMPTION rewards.
But do the easy rewards points give you either? The 2% cash back on the double cash card is just so simple. And none of the redemptions on the easy rewards seem anything like a good deal. It's all a few percent off if you buy something.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Citi Easy deals whatever does neither in my recollection.

EAB
Jan 18, 2011
I'm confused.

So when I look at my credit card info, theres the Current Balance, and then the Statement Balance, and then theres the minimum due balance right below statement balance.

Theres a "make payment" button in the box with the statement balance and minimum due balance I clicked, and tried to pay the statement balance in full.

But it just ended up removing that amount from my current balance, and the statement balance remains, what da heckkk

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

EAB posted:

I'm confused.

So when I look at my credit card info, theres the Current Balance, and then the Statement Balance, and then theres the minimum due balance right below statement balance.

Theres a "make payment" button in the box with the statement balance and minimum due balance I clicked, and tried to pay the statement balance in full.

But it just ended up removing that amount from my current balance, and the statement balance remains, what da heckkk
Current balance is your current balance.
Statement balance is your balance as of your last statement.
Minimum due is the minimum you need to pay.

Your paying dollars to them doesn't change your statement balance. Its not supposed to.
And barring some odd terms, as long as you pay the statement balance every month, you won't pay any interest.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Is it a bad idea to close old, unused cards? Frankly I have a number that I opened for reward stuff and I never use them now that I've redeemed the reward. It'd be nice not to have to keep track of them. I know people set up like, small recurring charges to keep cards alive but honestly I have... I'm not sure how many. More than ten, only a couple of which I really use.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 15, 2015

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
It can mess with your age of credit history, utilization ratio, and number of accounts, which will all drop your score. Just got to weigh the impact vs desire to simplify your accounts.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
To me, it's not worth the hassle for a temporary bump in credit score. I'd close them, credit has a way of working itself out if you're not a poo poo.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Dead Pressed posted:

To me, it's not worth the hassle for a temporary bump in credit score. I'd close them, credit has a way of working itself out if you're not a poo poo.

Not only that, but a closed account can't get fraudulent charges made put on there. Maybe it's not a problem if you use something like Mint to monitor all your accounts regularly, but if you don't check these unused cards ever, bad stuff could be going on without your knowledge.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

ilkhan posted:

Are the Citi easy deals points worth anything? They seem like the worst possible rewards system.

Easy Deals points are completely worthless.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Phone posting but wait wait Marriott and Starwood merger?

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/marriott-buy-starwood-hotels-12-2-billion-deal-111819799--sector.html

Edit: lol at people posting #prayforamex

Insane Totoro fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 16, 2015

The Risk
Mar 6, 2014

The Risk posted:

I got the 100K platinum Amex offer. Just got two $100 Amazon gift cards via Mileage Plus X.

Let's see if it works!

I just got the reimbursement.

It was pretty easy and convenient!

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Insane Totoro posted:

Phone posting but wait wait Marriott and Starwood merger?

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/marriott-buy-starwood-hotels-12-2-billion-deal-111819799--sector.html

Edit: lol at people posting #prayforamex

I suppose that means it's a good time to apply for the Mariott Chase card.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Rated PG-34 posted:

Not sure if the rewards structure is all that good vs. Hyatt (something like 70k points vs 30k for a high end hotel) but if you are going to: marriottrewards.com/70k (70,000 bonus points vs 50k)

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Rated PG-34 posted:

I think its the one that's going to survive (mariott bought starwood, much bigger rewards program). So probably time to get the SPG if anything? Maybe the SPG rewards program will be grandfathered.... probably going to have to rush to get the SPG points transferred out to airlines or use them before they get turned into mariott at 1:1 (would be a massive devaluation).

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Insane Totoro posted:

Not sure if the rewards structure is all that good vs. Hyatt (something like 70k points vs 30k for a high end hotel) but if you are going to: marriottrewards.com/70k (70,000 bonus points vs 50k)

There's a working 80K link available. MileNerd posted it in today's update.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Baddog posted:

I think its the one that's going to survive (mariott bought starwood, much bigger rewards program). So probably time to get the SPG if anything? Maybe the SPG rewards program will be grandfathered.... probably going to have to rush to get the SPG points transferred out to airlines or use them before they get turned into mariott at 1:1 (would be a massive devaluation).

There's usually a good amount of time when programs merge to do what you please under the previous rules. I can only imagine the glorious SPG program is going to go to poo poo so I'm definitely going to look at lining up some redemptions.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

How bad are Mariott's redemptions? I know Hilton's aren't supposed to be all that great. I guess this makes getting rid of the Amex SPG that much easier of a decision, even if I was planning on doing it any way.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
As if AMEX needed another blow to their co-branded portfolio. Glad I churned the SPG card already.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I have a Capital One Journey card that apparently has unlimited balance transfers with no fee. There's no promotional interest rate, so I just pay it off every month. I'm not going to use it for a while, though.

Balance transfers seem to count as minimum payments, so I was thinking of transferring from my other cards after each statement comes out and buying an extra month credit card float.

Do companies hate when you try to get cute like that and do anything about it?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

For anyone interested in signing up now, the chase sapphire preferred bonus has increased to 50,000 points as of yesterday. If you've applied within the last 3 months, it's worth it to SM/call chase and ask for the extra 10k points.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Cacafuego posted:

For anyone interested in signing up now, the chase sapphire preferred bonus has increased to 50,000 points as of yesterday. If you've applied within the last 3 months, it's worth it to SM/call chase and ask for the extra 10k points.
Interesting, but I don't think I have $4k in spending coming up in the next 3 months. Most MS methods have been closed off, right?
Wish I could pay rent on a card. Would make it simple.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Chase Freedom holders - 10% cash back at Amazon from 11/23 to 12/31 (on up to $1500):

Activate here:
https://creditcards.chase.com/freedom

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

ilkhan posted:

Interesting, but I don't think I have $4k in spending coming up in the next 3 months. Most MS methods have been closed off, right?
Wish I could pay rent on a card. Would make it simple.

Redbird is dead, yes, but I still buy gift cards/load to serve, which you can use to cut a check for rent. You can use Plastiq for rent, I believe. Prepay your car insurance, or phone/cable bill. It's Xmas, buy $4k worth of gifts!

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Cacafuego posted:

Thanks for pointing this out, I just called and they said I should see the extra 10k in seven to ten business days.

EugeneJ posted:

Chase Freedom holders - 10% cash back at Amazon from 11/23 to 12/31 (on up to $1500):

Activate here:
https://creditcards.chase.com/freedom

:drat: I am going to be floating like 4k balance with Amazon until I build my next computer.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 17, 2015

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I do think I'm gonna stop putting any more spend on my SPG cards, which sucks cus they were my everyday spend cards.

I can't get a Chase Sapphire because I've gotten too many cards in last two years. Whats the next best? I'm just going to use Fidelity Amex for now, but is there a points card I should be jumping to? Seems like everyone was always recommending SPG or CSP.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Baddog posted:

I do think I'm gonna stop putting any more spend on my SPG cards, which sucks cus they were my everyday spend cards.

I can't get a Chase Sapphire because I've gotten too many cards in last two years. Whats the next best? I'm just going to use Fidelity Amex for now, but is there a points card I should be jumping to? Seems like everyone was always recommending SPG or CSP.

Citi Premier, probably worth getting the Prestige for 1 year for double airfare credit and the signup bonus, or the Amex PRG would be the other good options for earning points with multiple transfer partners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Considering the AA devaluation I'm not sure what I'm going to do with my non-DC Citi cards. Their other transfer partners aren't too bad, but the 1.6 cent redemption on AA and superior version of Priority Pass are why I'd keep the Prestige (if the effective $100 AF persists after canceling Citigold, that helps a lot as well). The Exec is all but worthless now unless you really want the guaranteed lounge access and priority screening/boarding.

I have an Amex ED with a great limit and I'm considering converting it to an EDP, since after some thought I believe that based on my average spending it has a much higher yield than the PRG. In such a case I'd probably still keep one of the Platinum or Prestige for the travel benefits. Normally I'd never convert an Amex card, but my Amex CCs add up to a little over 25k, which I think is their soft limit based on the CLI stuff I've read. It seems the 30k deal is dead and I don't know if it's worth a hard pull for 15k points and a potentially lower limit without shifting lines around. I'm going to cancel the SPG at some point though because RIP Starwood.

In all honesty the legacy carrier devaluations are helpful if only because it's making it easier to choose an everyday (pun intended?) card, and Amex has way more airline partners than Chase and Citi.