Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

Chinatown posted:

Because its still gone, guy.

Thanks for the update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

jon joe posted:

Can somebody please explain to me why this thread has 120 pages? Thanks.

Three Olives hasn't closed it yet because he still gets a little chub on every time it bounces back to the front page.

P.S. Also it's still gone guys.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I find this thread to be a reliable resource on whether or not the plane is gone.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chinatown posted:

Because its still gone, guy.

I love you, Chinatown :allears:

(all the homo)

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

jon joe posted:

It's probably buried in this thread.

:eyepop:

Did anyone... check... the thread?

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Looks like it might be easier to find crashed jets in the future

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/AIRPLANE_TRACKING

quote:

Deal at UN meeting opens way for satellite tracking of jets

By JAMEY KEATEN
Associated Press

GENEVA (AP) -- A deal reached at a U.N. meeting on Wednesday opens the way for satellite tracking of airliners, a major breakthrough motivated by the mystery disappearance of a Malaysia Airlines jetliner last year.

The agreement allows nations to set aside radio frequencies so that airplanes can be tracked by satellite - not just from the ground.

Under current radar-based systems, the movement of planes is monitored by land-based systems, leaving around 70 percent of the world's surface uncovered, according to the International Telecommunications Union, the U.N. communications agency.

Modern planes that can send what are known as Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast, or ADS-B, signals to the ground are now on track to send signals to satellites too - with implementation expected by 2017.

The accord to set aside the 1087.7-1092.3 MHz radio frequency for satellite tracking of planes came at the World Radiocommunication Conference, an international gathering organized every four years by the ITU. International civil aviation regulator ICAO has pushed for satellite tracking of aircraft, as long as current safety measures aren't jeopardized.

"The WRC's action today will enable better tracking and location of aircraft that otherwise could disappear from terrestrial tracking systems," said U.S. Ambassador Decker Anstrom, who is leading the U.S. delegation at the conference. "This is an excellent example of the ability of nations, working through the ITU process, to take action in improving peoples' lives."

The March 2014 disappearance of Malaysia Airlines flight 370 with 239 people on board exposed weaknesses in worldwide air navigation systems. Debris from the Boeing 777 was found in the Indian Ocean in July.

Officials praised the relatively quick work toward improving the ability to track planes. Shortly after the plane vanished, Malaysia's communication minister urged the ITU to help find new ways of transmitting flight data in real-time. In May 2014, ICAO called for quick action to allocate the spectrum so that satellites could help track planes in the future.

ITU Secretary-General Houlin Zhao said the agency has "responded in record time to the expectations of the global community on the major issue concerning global flight tracking."

nockturne
Aug 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Ivor Biggun posted:

quote:

Deal at UN meeting opens way for satellite tracking of jets

By JAMEY KEATEN
Associated Press

GENEVA (AP) -- A deal reached at a U.N. meeting on Wednesday opens the way for satellite tracking of airliners, a major breakthrough motivated by the mystery disappearance of a Malaysia Airlines jetliner last year.

The agreement allows nations to set aside radio frequencies so that airplanes can be tracked by satellite - not just from the ground.

Under current radar-based systems, the movement of planes is monitored by land-based systems, leaving around 70 percent of the world's surface uncovered, according to the International Telecommunications Union, the U.N. communications agency.

Modern planes that can send what are known as Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast, or ADS-B, signals to the ground are now on track to send signals to satellites too - with implementation expected by 2017.

The accord to set aside the 1087.7-1092.3 MHz radio frequency for satellite tracking of planes came at the World Radiocommunication Conference, an international gathering organized every four years by the ITU. International civil aviation regulator ICAO has pushed for satellite tracking of aircraft, as long as current safety measures aren't jeopardized.

"The WRC's action today will enable better tracking and location of aircraft that otherwise could disappear from terrestrial tracking systems," said U.S. Ambassador Decker Anstrom, who is leading the U.S. delegation at the conference. "This is an excellent example of the ability of nations, working through the ITU process, to take action in improving peoples' lives."

The March 2014 disappearance of Malaysia Airlines flight 370 with 239 people on board exposed weaknesses in worldwide air navigation systems. Debris from the Boeing 777 was found in the Indian Ocean in July.

Officials praised the relatively quick work toward improving the ability to track planes. Shortly after the plane vanished, Malaysia's communication minister urged the ITU to help find new ways of transmitting flight data in real-time. In May 2014, ICAO called for quick action to allocate the spectrum so that satellites could help track planes in the future.

ITU Secretary-General Houlin Zhao said the agency has "responded in record time to the expectations of the global community on the major issue concerning global flight tracking."

Yes yes yes, very good...is it still gone?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Ivor Biggun posted:

This is cool and good

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

nockturne posted:

Yes yes yes, very good...is it still gone?

Still gone, guys

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Ivor Biggun posted:

Still gone, guys

Sorry but I'd prefer an expert's word on this.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Definitely still gone, guys.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Chinatown posted:

Thank you.

E:
If you die you should have the words "It's still gone." engraved on your tombstone.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i found it

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

proof?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

If plane trackers can find crashed planes, why not just install one on the Malaysian Airlines 777?

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Chinatown posted:

I'll be laughing all the way to the bank once its found

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

gnarlyhotep posted:

I'll be laughing all the way to the bank once its found

Don't really understand why because I will accurately inform you that its, in fact, not gone, guys.

At that point and you can close the thread and ban three olives for making an inaccurate thread.

:confused:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
That said, currently, its still loving gone, guys.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I thought they found it on that island though?

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

keevo posted:

I thought they found it on that island though?

I dunno. Didn't they end up losing the island too?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Plane found alive in Cuba, Havana good time

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

ethanol posted:

Plane found alive in Cuba, Havana good time

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Why would Three Olives think Chinatown would know someone on the Malaysian flight? Could it be because they're both asian? What a racist.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Who says I'm asian.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Chinatown posted:

Who says I'm asian.

Rare photo of Chinatown, taken by 3O himself at an exclusive dinner party

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Have there been any recent developments relating to the plane? Haven't been paying attention lately.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Rahu posted:

Have there been any recent developments relating to the plane? Haven't been paying attention lately.

Chinatown has been keeping us all updated pretty regularly.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Rahu posted:

Still gone.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Chinatown has been keeping us all updated pretty regularly.

Chinatown is old news.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Rahu posted:

It's gone.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

any day now

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

ethanol posted:

any day now

Still gone guys.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
I heard a Russian plane crashed, but it happened in africa, so maybe nobody cares.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

ChrisHansen posted:

I heard a Russian plane crashed, but it happened in africa, so maybe nobody cares.

They found this one so nobody cares. There's no mystery. No titillation.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

smoobles posted:

They found this one so nobody cares. There's no mystery. No titillation.

I really love your av.

nockturne
Aug 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Ivor Biggun posted:

Still gone guys.

Not gonna believe you until Chinatown confirms.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

nockturne posted:

Not gonna believe you until Chinatown confirms.

Still gone, guys.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
It's lupus

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Microwaves Mom posted:

I really love your av.

Why don't you marry him, then?

Another Russian plane went down over Turkey, but that one was found too, so ...

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I think that shows just how far we've come, technology-wise, since the loss of the Malaysian Airliner. I mean, Turkey located two pre-crashed planes in the sky and helped them achieve their destiny.

Says a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Flyinglemur posted:

I think that shows just how far we've come, technology-wise, since the loss of the Malaysian Airliner. I mean, Turkey located two pre-crashed planes in the sky and helped them achieve their destiny.

Says a lot.

Are you saying planes have hidden skellingtons too?

• Locked thread