Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

What percentage of those "anarchist" results are ancaps?

They're a drop in the bucket either way, but looks like about half:

code:
. tab political if complex=="Anarchist"

Political |      Freq.     Percent        Cum.
----------------------------------------+-----------------------------------
Conservative, for example the US Republ |          1        3.13        3.13
Libertarian, for example like the US Li |         16       50.00       53.13
Social democratic, for example Scandina |         15       46.88      100.00
----------------------------------------+-----------------------------------
                                  Total |         32      100.00

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Anticheese posted:

Wtf is a "futarchist"?

Some dip looked at government and thought, "What if it was run like the stock market?"

Wikipedia posted:

Futarchy is a form of government proposed by economist Robin Hanson, in which elected officials define measures of national welfare, and prediction markets are used to determine which policies will have the most positive effect.

It was named by the New York Times as a buzzword of 2008.

Will this prediction market accept Bitcoin by chance?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I think I'd actually prefer being ruled by anime fetish objects than that. :stare:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Moldbug actually had a debate with Hanson over futarchy, although I haven't watched it myself because it's so long: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb-6ikXdOzE

Moldbug's post-debate post: http://unqualified-reservations.blogspot.com/2010/01/hanson-moldbug-debate.html

Moldbug's rant that presumably triggered the debate: http://unqualified-reservations.blogspot.com/2009/05/futarchy-considered-retarded.html

Moldbug links to an actual government attempt to partially implent Hanson's ideas in the real world (:catstare:), which was wisely cancelled: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Policy_Analysis_Market

Incidentally, this is a good example of how one form of silly thinking can protect one against another kind: Moldbug is too much of an elitist to believe in "wisdom of crowds" stuff, and his excessive belief in Campbell's Law comes in handy in cases where Campbell's Law actually applies.

Silver2195 has a new favorite as of 08:26 on Nov 14, 2015

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Darth Walrus posted:

Someone who believes we should be ruled by girls with gigantic, veiny penises.

+1 definite improvement on now

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
Latest thing Nick Land's been gushing about, although of course it would entirely contradict his other shibboleth that the Genetic Stock who are best in other respects are too outbred to stand up for themselves (and about nine or ten things from actual reality.) Has the exact same cadence as one of those small-time "buy gold now!" sites, I guess because it's pitched at the same audience.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I'm not sure Robin Hanson is human. I think he's an alien who somehow managed to be vaguely influential in human society.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Oligopsony posted:

Latest thing Nick Land's been gushing about, although of course it would entirely contradict his other shibboleth that the Genetic Stock who are best in other respects are too outbred to stand up for themselves (and about nine or ten things from actual reality.) Has the exact same cadence as one of those small-time "buy gold now!" sites, I guess because it's pitched at the same audience.

Nope, that's some old J. P. Rushton bullshit. And of course, is a complete misuse of r/K theory (which has been outmoded in evolutionary biology.

Are you sure Land discovered this now? Rushton's pseudoscience has been out for ages.

Merdifex has a new favorite as of 02:34 on Nov 15, 2015

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
Didn't mean to imply it was new! Just that Land had been gushing about it recently.

It is pretty funny that "r/K = L/R" and "liberals are insufficiently natalist, and are also deluded into overparenting because of The Nurture Assumption, it would be better to have more kids and spend less time on each" can not just exist side-by-side but be fit into a "liberals are selfish and present-oriented, righties are family- and future-oriented" narrative, though.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Oligopsony posted:

Didn't mean to imply it was new! Just that Land had been gushing about it recently.

It is pretty funny that "r/K = L/R" and "liberals are insufficiently natalist, and are also deluded into overparenting because of The Nurture Assumption, it would be better to have more kids and spend less time on each" can not just exist side-by-side but be fit into a "liberals are selfish and present-oriented, righties are family- and future-oriented" narrative, though.

It's funny that this guy is recommending that conservatives and, I guess, the rational, should employ a K-strategy to their parenting when Rushton argued that non-whites employ a sort of K-strategy, and that's why white people are going to be swamped by non-whites with dysgenic breeding patterns.

Also, in the theme of bad neoreactionary arguments, this time against immigration. If you can't bring up empirical fact, lovely allegories will do just as well.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Well, Wesley is stupid enough to do that, so the analogy checks out. And he is a stupid backwards idiot who shouldn't exist.

Seems pretty sound to me.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Well, Wesley is stupid enough to do that, so the analogy checks out. And he is a stupid backwards idiot who shouldn't exist.

It's funny that even Scott has no time for lovely arguments like these, and he's got a history of promoting lovely positions. I mean, what do you say to someone who argues that the Paris attacks happened because of the West accepting refugees? Even when ISIS has made it clear that it wants to burn all bridges between the Muslim world and the West, so sentiments like those which Wesley and the entire neoreactionary peanut gallery expressed are exactly what ISIS wants.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I think both the nrx people and the ISIS people would like bloody debilitating war between the West and the Middle East, so they're natural allies! They should go meet up sometime - probably have a lot in common in other fields.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

In case anyone thinks of Wesley as a hateful idiot, well, he has already argued his way out of that one, apparently.

Remember, the only real discrimination and hate is by the high-status against white males.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Merdifex posted:

In case anyone thinks of Wesley as a hateful idiot, well, he has already argued his way out of that one, apparently.

Remember, the only real discrimination and hate is by the high-status against white males.

God, they realize that using fancy, multiple syllable words means jack poo poo in bolstering an argument, right? Every NRx 'thinker' could be out written by a forth grader

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

BobHoward posted:

That was because Wonder Woman's creator was a dude with... eccentric views about the proper role of women in society.

On the one hand, he was a kinkster of the sort who assumed everyone was into his kink on some level, meaning that he sincerely believed most or all women wanted to be sexually submissive to men.

On the other, he believed with equal sincerity that women were inherently wiser and gentler than men and that they should should hold all political power.

The result was a heroine who generally fixed problems caused by evil men but with a subtext of enjoying it when the bad guys figured out her Amazonian powers would be at least temporarily negated if they could manipulate her into accepting their manacles (bondage being her Kryptonite).
Okay now please explain the bondage in Rocky & Bullwinkle

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

coyo7e posted:

Okay now please explain the bondage in Rocky & Bullwinkle

Again?

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It looks like Twitter's alt-right/nRX/frogtwitter weirdos have decided to exploit the poo poo going down in Paris by trying to get some anti-GamerGate guy caught up in everything. https://twitter.com/grasswirefacts/status/665633389362282496

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What is supposed to be taking the picture in the doctored image?

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Jack Gladney posted:

What is supposed to be taking the picture in the doctored image?

The terrorist's hatred of freedom and nice white Christians.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Pussy Cartel posted:

It looks like Twitter's alt-right/nRX/frogtwitter weirdos have decided to exploit the poo poo going down in Paris by trying to get some anti-GamerGate guy caught up in everything. https://twitter.com/grasswirefacts/status/665633389362282496

This is funny because I just saw alt-right types proactively bitching about how sjws were sure to blame gators and mras for the events in Paris.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

This is funny because I just saw alt-right types proactively bitching about how sjws were sure to blame gators and mras for the events in Paris.

I'm fairly sure that the train of responsibility lies around Western imperialism, and Islamic Radicalization.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
https://en.shindanmaker.com/578145

I got "SedevacantistNordicBrahmin"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

"EpicCatholicBro"

I kinda like it :colbert:

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Full Name: "NordicRealistCathedralWrecker"
Username: "ReactionaryReactionWhigDestroyer"

Hey other Michael. :wave:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
I got GermanicReactionChick despite putting in a very masculine name and being very very Irish :v:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Wait are there people who actually call themselves "Reactionaries?" Because all this time I thought it was an insulting term just applied to them.

Because seriously, "Reactionary" just sounds like an insult.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

Wait are there people who actually call themselves "Reactionaries?" Because all this time I thought it was an insulting term just applied to them.

Because seriously, "Reactionary" just sounds like an insult.

It probably started that way but then the internet happened and whelp here we are.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Merdifex posted:

i took a quick glance at his twitter and HAHAHAHA i loving KNEW some reactionary was going to bitch about that vet day google logo

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
It will never stop being confusing to me that Scott and the other Post-rationalists like to pretend he's the smart reflective reactionary.

Because, like.

He's such an immature putz.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
I've long since decided that if I get one of those traumatic brain injuries that removes your conscience, I'm going with Gnon Serviam.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900
On Tumblr, this political science student—a guy who's so smart and thoughtful with his politics that, despite being much younger than me, he makes me feel like a small-minded ignorant baby—pointed out that "all terrorism is political", and loving Scott popped up with his meta-level bullshit to say "Hm, actually, religion, politics, and ethnicity are all the same...".

Anyways, Scott didn't get nearly the smackdown he deserved, because the other guy is way too nice for his own good, but that moment still highlights the difference between using intelligence to try and understand and educate versus using intelligence to obfuscate and reshuffle labels so you can easily dismiss something.

(Also, Scott is horribly longwinded. "At some point I need to give this issue a full blog post treatment," he said, dropping 4 paragraphs of manure on the page. I assume the "full blog post" is at least 30 paragraphs of meta-level nonsense with him concluding that, actually, everything he doesn't like is exactly the same.)

Edit: Does Scott realize just how many "racial realists" follow him?

Curvature of Earth has a new favorite as of 21:51 on Nov 16, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

The ultimate question for Scott and pals is whether they're incredibly naive and stupid, or just deeply disingenuous.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Why not both?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06mv4js

Roger Scruton discusses "the tyranny of pop music". Not NRx per se, but touches on some of NRx's favorite conceits. Basically it's peak Old Man Yells at Cloud, with rants about pop music and kids these days and ~~political correctness~~ and how we should all reconnect with the obviously superior classical music even though the tradition ran out of gas a hundred years ago and ended up dissolving into unlistenable "avant-garde" masturbation. I want to make him listen to Miles Davis and Popol Vuh just to see how completely he fails to understand what he is listening to and why it is important music. And of course he delivers all this in the most painfully uptight RP accent imaginable.

E: God damnit, if I hear the words "our civilization" one more time! :argh:

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013

Pussy Cartel posted:

Site I heard about this on was huffing their own forts about how he deserved it for having unacceptable video game opinions.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Some other forums I frequent have become basically no-go zones for the sheer impenetrable reactionary sentiments. The reaction to Paris could be even more odious than the reaction to 9/11.

Woolie Wool posted:

Get ready to hear it all the time.

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

You Scream! You open your TORN, ROTTED, DECOMPOSED MOUTH AND SCREAM!

Woolie Wool posted:

Roger Scruton discusses "the tyranny of pop music". Not NRx per se, but touches on some of NRx's favorite conceits. Basically it's peak Old Man Yells at Cloud, with rants about pop music and kids these days and ~~political correctness~~ and how we should all reconnect with the obviously superior classical music even though the tradition ran out of gas a hundred years ago and ended up dissolving into unlistenable "avant-garde" masturbation. I want to make him listen to Miles Davis and Popol Vuh just to see how completely he fails to understand what he is listening to and why it is important music. And of course he delivers all this in the most painfully uptight RP accent imaginable.

Everytime he is mentioned in anyway or I come across something with his name on it, I feel a powerful urge to viciously beat Scruton with a tire iron.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Woolie Wool posted:

The difference between "classical" music and popular music is not that one is still alive. That's actually just you having bad taste. If it helps: what this guy espouses here is almost the same stuff Theodor Adorno was mainly concerned with. Yes, Frankfurt School/Cultural Marxism Adorno. Sprinkle on top a bit of Benjamin ..
(Well, he is a very banal, shallow imitation of Adorno. The philosophical depths he reaches are also easily reached by Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.)

Also, "old man yells at clouds" does not seem particularly NEOreactionary. What would have been neoreactionary would not be to say, we need everyone to listen to actually good music. What would have been neoreactionary would have been: actually good music is too complex for the masses, but Rap makes teens more violent; we elites will listen to Wagner and program algorithms that synthesize music to pacify the masses by their soothing melodies, perfectly targeted at the lesser people's brains.

This thing is bad, but not in a slightly interesting, "america is communist" or "feminists are the true oppressors" way. It's just boring.

Edit: I am pretty sure this guy would be able to suck every piece of joy out of e.g. the Ode to Joy if he just tried to explain to you how exciting it is. Also lmao "have you noticed Pokerface is just one tone" IT'S CALLED AN ORGELPUNKT YOU GIT also he likes Metallica

Cingulate has a new favorite as of 13:28 on Nov 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Cingulate posted:

Also he likes Metallica

That's all you had to say