Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

When I did mine I just used the regular 1/8dia.x1/16 magnets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
same

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Choosing a Legion seems like the toughest decision to make, but I think I've settled on Word Bearers. Good color schemes, able to play the demonic-traitor angle, some cool special characters. The special units look neat. Only downside are no special terminator unit. I love the terminator options in 30k.

The FW staff's lore writing is better than GW's. Emperor's Children embracing perfection to offset the near total loss of their geneseed makes a lot of sense. They believed they couldn't spare any mistakes in battle because the loss of a single life was more costly to them than the other Legions. Eventually this value set became warped towards perfection for perfection's sake and let Slaanesh in. I could definitely see building and painting EC.

Death Guard were attractive from the use of terrible weapons angle. They don't seem to fear gas or chemical weapons, nuclear, etc. The rusted paint technique I see people use looks really nice. I'm not a big fan of the scythes, though.

Now I'm thinking about World Eaters again and on the loyalist side the Raven Guard are cool...oh an now I think I've talked myself back to confusion. Maybe I shouldn't pick a legion so I can stay in this superposition of anticipation forever.

This rusty style is really cool:

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Tbh I'm beginning to think choosing a legion is the hardest part of 30k.

I'm still back and forth between DG, 1ks, and NL. At least I have until the box arrives to decide.

gently caress, GW struck gold with this and they know it.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Just :alarm: don't do space wolves or thousand sons :alarm: we know these are going to be radically different from the other 16 legions. You could end up with wasted purchases or styles very different from how FW ends up doing it.

Read some fluff and some batreps and read about the primarch. That's how I chose mine.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Please forgive my lack of magnet-knowledge. Would these be good for the Contemptor?

http://www.thewarstore.com/product68935.html

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I've never played 40k or 30k before, but I like the Horus Heresy books, so this game interests me. If I wanted to play an army that was just drop pods full of World Eaters armed only with chain axes, could I?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

boom boom boom posted:

I've never played 40k or 30k before, but I like the Horus Heresy books, so this game interests me. If I wanted to play an army that was just drop pods full of World Eaters armed only with chain axes, could I?

Yup.

Take the Orbital Assault Rite of war, take 10 man tactical squads, and you can give tactical marines additional close combat weapons for +2 points, and World Eaters can swap those for chainaxes for free. You then also get deep strike with your Butchers and other Terminators.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DeadGame posted:

The FW staff's lore writing is better than GW's. Emperor's Children embracing perfection to offset the near total loss of their geneseed makes a lot of sense. They believed they couldn't spare any mistakes in battle because the loss of a single life was more costly to them than the other Legions. Eventually this value set became warped towards perfection for perfection's sake and let Slaanesh in. I could definitely see building and painting EC.

You can credit Graham McNeil with that, actually. It's how he characterized the EC in the Horus Heresy novel Fulgrim, which I think was before the 30k tabletop stuff started. The key to Fulgrim's damnation was his fear of failure and inability to admit mistakes.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
So I've been painting some 40k World Eaters in the Heresy livery and I think I'm in love, especially with Sarum-pattern helms. Sponges are Khorne's gift. How many jetbikes/motorbikes are too many for an army?

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
When are the rules for Custodes coming out? That might actually get me into building an army

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Nuclear War posted:

When are the rules for Custodes coming out? That might actually get me into building an army

Think the Forge World guys said they'll be coming in the Prospero book, so sometime next year maybe.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Because I haven't played 30K/40K in a long time, and I'm only really interested in how my Titan works in 30K, how does the Destroyer weapons differ in 30K as opposed to 40K. Basically I'm confused about how the Destroyer weapons (i.e. Double-Barrelled Turbo Laser Destructor) interacts with the different unit types.

forkis
Sep 15, 2011

I've been hard for heresy for a while now but got turned off by the Forgeworld pricing/have gotten burned by :china: before. However, since the pricing I'm seeing for Calth models on Ebay is very much within my comfort range I think I'm finally going to take the leap.

So, that said: I've been eyeing Ultramarines, since they seem loads cooler than their 40k descendants. I read the short blurb in the OP about them and they sound like my kind of army. Given their synergy theme, are there any units/builds that are considered necessary for actually running an Ultramarine list that works? Are there any picks I should avoid?

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Recoome posted:

Because I haven't played 30K/40K in a long time, and I'm only really interested in how my Titan works in 30K, how does the Destroyer weapons differ in 30K as opposed to 40K. Basically I'm confused about how the Destroyer weapons (i.e. Double-Barrelled Turbo Laser Destructor) interacts with the different unit types.

You can use your Destroyer weapons as the default rules in the big rulebook, or use a couple of different profiles in the Horus Heresy rulebooks, depending on how your group feels about S:D Large blasts.

Today I played a game of 30k where I got the other guy so mad he threw a model at the wall and shattered it into a million pieces. It was a good day :hawksin:.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

panascope posted:

Today I played a game of 30k where I got the other guy so mad he threw a model at the wall and shattered it into a million pieces. It was a good day :hawksin:.

Well don't stop there....

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Nuclear War posted:

They'll probably be more like Assassins than an army in of themselves.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

It was a 2v2, with Hixson and I on one team, and Bulbasaur and Stanyer89 on the other. The game was mostly pretty close until about turn 4 when it decisively turned in our favor, and Hixson and I had basically spent the whole game talking poo poo to him. Constant, "good army", "wow, huge plays", that kind of thing. I guess after several hours of that he just couldn't take it anymore, and after we removed his last assault marine from the table I asked, "mad?" and he picked it up and threw it into the wall. This didn't stop the poo poo talking either, if anything it got worse after that. He'll probably come in here later and madpost about how Bulbasaur hosed him over and he totally would've won and :downswords: or whatever but he's bad and mad.

panascope fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 16, 2015

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

this can't be real, who legit gets that mad playing a game

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Recoome posted:

this can't be real, who legit gets that mad playing a game

I once played Enslaved Odysey to the West, and got so mad, that I threw the game in the garbage

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

panascope posted:

It was a 2v2, with Hixson and I on one team, and Bulbasaur and Stanyer89 on the other. The game was mostly pretty close until about turn 4 when it decisively turned in our favor, and Hixson and I had basically spent the whole game talking poo poo to him. Constant, "good army", "wow, huge plays", that kind of thing. I guess after several hours of that he just couldn't take it anymore, and after we removed his last assault marine from the table I asked, "mad?" and he picked it up and threw it into the wall. This didn't stop the poo poo talking either, if anything it got worse after that. He'll probably come in here later and madpost about how Bulbasaur hosed him over and he totally would've won and :downswords: or whatever but he's bad and mad.

Bulbasaur is poo poo. gently caress this game.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Oh man that game was brutal, but not as brutal as Stranyer's smashed assault marine and crushed spirit. GG homie

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

please post the smashed marine as evidence

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Recoome posted:

please post the smashed marine as evidence

i submit this lovely broken marine as evidence:

Note the dead lovely army in the background

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Hixson posted:

i submit this lovely broken marine as evidence:

Note the dead lovely army in the background

hahahaha what the gently caress

Stanyer89 please seek therapy

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Recoome posted:

hahahaha what the gently caress

Stanyer89 please seek therapy

Seeking a new teammate instead.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

panascope posted:

He'll probably come in here later and madpost about how Bulbasaur hosed him over and he totally would've won and :downswords: or whatever but he's bad and mad.

Stanyer89 posted:

Panascope is prophetic

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Stanyer89 posted:

You painted that thing, it was reallyy good! Why would you break something you worked hard on?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
The goons said, "NO WE HAVE TO MAKE FUN OF THE ANGRY GROGNARDS"
But panascope said, "No, goons. You are the angry grognards"
And then the assault marine was broken.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
It's ok to be angry sometimes. Stanyer I hope you can fix your guy and feel better!

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

please don't break your expensive toys when you get angry :(

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Turns out I don't even need to smash his models with a hammer, he does it himself!

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

lol @ "the nerd rage"

"When you remove the last model of a Legion Assault Squad, throw this model against the wall. This effect only occurs once per game"

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
According to my Ham Diagram, Stanyer, you should be playing Khornate World Eaters instead of Blood Angels.

But for real, I've been eyeing up Emperor's Children since Forge World started releasing Heresy miniatures years ago. If I didn't have a few of armies already and no more space to store minis, I'd definitely jump on them. Would love to go hog-wild with gold, marble and freehand detailing for the most ostentatious EC, instead of the standard dark purple with gold trim. Maybe when I die and get reincarnated with no existing armies.

I am, however, trying to get my brother to get a small Heresy detachment. He plays a Salamanders second-founding Chapter in 40k, and I want him to ally in a few unique Salamander Legion units painted in his scheme because they look awesome. Plus Vulkan painted in standard colors, just so he can yell "VULKAN LIVES!" and smash my poo poo up.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I look like Nurgle and play like Tzeentch.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

BuffaloChicken posted:

According to my Ham Diagram, Stanyer, you should be playing Khornate World Eaters instead of Blood Angels.

same diff

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I'm actually just gay

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
So uh. How does this ally matrix work? If my primary detachment is Alpha Legion, are Solar Auxilia fellow warriors or sworn brothers?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Sworn battle bros, just like George Takei + Brad Altman, also Hixson + Stanyer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

DrPop posted:

Please forgive my lack of magnet-knowledge. Would these be good for the Contemptor?

http://www.thewarstore.com/product68935.html

you want these:
http://www.thewarstore.com/product68937.html