Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
He could have his dialogue change a little so he just gets his jollies by beating up guys he likes. I haven't read the original but I'm assuming since Murata stays so faithful to it that ONE wasn't any subtler with how he wrote Prisoner, and that's unfortunate if it's the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

ONE still writes the Murata remake, Murata just does art.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Keeshhound posted:

I could see Pri Pri Prisoner turning into a really good character if he just had someone to say to him "Hey, this isn't healthy, you can be better than this." And then the next time we see him he's got a much more healthy attitude about his sexuality, but stays in prison to keep the super max detainees in check. I don't have much faith it'll happen, but it'd be a neat character arc for him.

Really, I'd like to see him improve, because his character has a bunch of really strong and interesting elements (hero who voluntarily stays in jail is a neat concept, he's got a distinctive character design, memorable attacks, very noticeably learns from his losses, etc.) it just sucks that he's implemented in such a regressive and marginalizing manner.

You can't change him because I think he demonstrates the people in S-Class that are just there because they are strong while ignoring their bad sides. But I think him and several others in S-Class is the reason Mask is trying to clean up S-Class. Mask said he wants to make sure no one becomes S-Class without the ideal characteristics he and probably the Hero Association want in there. Prisoner, Pig God, Robo, ,Tornado, and several others in S-Class demonstrate corrosive, unrelatable, or selfish personalities. I think when the Hero Association went first legit, they had to fill in the S-Class with anyone strong to have legit protection quickly. Now that they have a good number they can now make sure any new hero entering S-Class is the ideal hero for the public.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

EVIR Gibson posted:

You can't change him because I think he demonstrates the people in S-Class that are just there because they are strong while ignoring their bad sides. But I think him and several others in S-Class is the reason Mask is trying to clean up S-Class. Mask said he wants to make sure no one becomes S-Class without the ideal characteristics he and probably the Hero Association want in there. Prisoner, Pig God, Robo, ,Tornado, and several others in S-Class demonstrate corrosive, unrelatable, or selfish personalities. I think when the Hero Association went first legit, they had to fill in the S-Class with anyone strong to have legit protection quickly. Now that they have a good number they can now make sure any new hero entering S-Class is the ideal hero for the public.

Has Pig God actually done anything to make himself look bad?

And Tornado might be a gigantic shithead behind the scenes, but I don't think she's doing anything to make themselves look any worse out in the field, she's the one prominent female hero other than her sister, and I imagine she'd tear Mask and pretty much any other hero into a thousand pieces if he actually tried to stop her.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Tornado's just a shithead because she's a prodigy and never learned humility and never had to.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

TheKingofSprings posted:

Has Pig God actually done anything to make himself look bad?

Spoken like a true goon.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Death Bot posted:

Spoken like a true goon.

I mean he looks bad, but is he actually bad

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
His appearance speaks poorly of him and that's honestly probably enough for Handsomely Masked Sweet Mask.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

His appearance speaks poorly of him and that's honestly probably enough for Handsomely Masked Sweet Mask.

one day Pig God will eat Mask for his insolence

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

TriffTshngo posted:

He could have his dialogue change a little so he just gets his jollies by beating up guys he likes. I haven't read the original but I'm assuming since Murata stays so faithful to it that ONE wasn't any subtler with how he wrote Prisoner, and that's unfortunate if it's the case.

I thought he just liked to save male heroes he liked while in prison? He doesn't actually say he's violating people for fun (or did he???). I read the original manga, redrawn, and watching the anime.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Pri Pri Prisoner is definitely a Big Gay Rapist And That's The Joke you guys, I know it makes you feel bad to like something that doesn't entirely jive with the way people think and feel in modern North America but that's kinda a thing you have to deal with sometimes. In the manga he specifically says that it's okay for him to do whatever he wants to bad boys because they're in prison and he's punishing them, and a narrative box says "note: this isn't true".

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

ChairMaster posted:

Pri Pri Prisoner is definitely a Big Gay Rapist And That's The Joke you guys, I know it makes you feel bad to like something that doesn't entirely jive with the way people think and feel in modern North America but that's kinda a thing you have to deal with sometimes. In the manga he specifically says that it's okay for him to do whatever he wants to bad boys because they're in prison and he's punishing them, and a narrative box says "note: this isn't true".

Anyone expecting anything other than this will remain disappointed.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alder posted:

I thought he just liked to save male heroes he liked while in prison? He doesn't actually say he's violating people for fun (or did he???). I read the original manga, redrawn, and watching the anime.

He did say he was violating people.

quote:

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Onepunch-Man/Onepunch-Man---035-005----Tankobon-004-Extra-Prison?id=248664#20

Old Prisoner: It's been about a year since Boss came here. Boss had just busted a wanted Class A criminal and came here together with that wanted man.

Old Prisoner: I heard it was Boss's own decision to turn himself in... For Boss likes men even though he's a man himself. And that man just happened to be his type.

Old Prisoner: After a year with Boss, that wanted man was nothing but skin and bones, but it didn't matter any more...

Old Prisoner: Because Boss had come up with a very dangerous "solution" in the meantime.

Pri-Pri Prisoner: It's a crime to violate normal boys, but...

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Onepunch-Man/Onepunch-Man---035-005----Tankobon-004-Extra-Prison?id=248664#21

Pri-Pri Prisoner: If it's a criminal boy, it's like I'm punishing him and it's killing two birds with one stone. No one will complain and everything's good!

[Author's Note: This isn't true]

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Yeah. They skirt around outright saying it, but it's pretty unambiguous what his deal is and I wouldn't imagine they'll do anything to change it.

It's a pretty tasteless joke, but not one that would be that out of the ordinary even in certain American comedies - I say lest anybody feel the need to rag on the Japanese for being "Behind the times." Speck of sawdust, plank in the eye.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Will they even animate that extra chapter? I don't feel like they have time to even put that in there.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

ChairMaster posted:

Alright, I've accepted it now.

JosephWongKS posted:

He did say he was violating people.

:iit:

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

PaganGoatPants posted:

Will they even animate that extra chapter? I don't feel like they have time to even put that in there.

Without it it might seem a bit weird for Pri Pri Prisoner to just come out of nowhere to fight the Sea King. His whole motivation is explained in that one, as well as letting us know what's up with Sonic lately.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I know I'm late on the Boros-chat (and past the Sea King chat too) but there's only one scene I can't wait for.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

PaganGoatPants posted:

I could pretty easily see next episode ending with Sea King and Prisoner/Sonic showing up with a post credits segment showing that chapter.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

They'll probably find the time to shoehorn it in. A lot of the Sea King's page count is devoted to action and things happening, which tends to translate to less air time than you'd think.

In any case, the previous episode had Saitama turning in Sonic as his good deed for the day to keep his certification, so it's a natural inclusion to show Sonic (and Pri-Pri Prisoner) breaking out of jail.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Bad Seafood posted:

Yeah. They skirt around outright saying it, but it's pretty unambiguous what his deal is and I wouldn't imagine they'll do anything to change it.

It's a pretty tasteless joke, but not one that would be that out of the ordinary even in certain American comedies - I say lest anybody feel the need to rag on the Japanese for being "Behind the times." Speck of sawdust, plank in the eye.

Oh yeah definitely prison rape jokes are universal and universally lovely.

I would just like the avoid the moment of super awkwardness that's going to come up watching this with my fiance (who has never read the manga). I totally forgot he was even a thing until this conversation.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Bad Seafood posted:

They'll probably find the time to shoehorn it in. A lot of the Sea King's page count is devoted to action and things happening, which tends to translate to less air time than you'd think.

In any case, the previous episode had Saitama turning in Sonic as his good deed for the day to keep his certification, so it's a natural inclusion to show Sonic (and Pri-Pri Prisoner) breaking out of jail.

Actually it would be a perfect opener for the episode. Show Sonic's 'into-the-jungle' prison moment which naturally already segways into the Sea King (minion) attacks against the A-Class heroes and Pri-pri busting out to save them.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I think this episode skipped Bang protecting Genos from some meteor shrapnel, unless I just wasn't paying attention. A pretty minor thing, but I wanted to see more of animated Bang.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Nahxela posted:

I think this episode skipped Bang protecting Genos from some meteor shrapnel, unless I just wasn't paying attention. A pretty minor thing, but I wanted to see more of animated Bang.

That part was still in the episode, he just did it in a much more boring way. While in the manga he deflected the incoming meteors and shielded Genos from any harm, the anime just had him grab Genos and run. Bang just dodged the meteors instead of punching them out of the sky. It works, but it isn't nearly as cool. Oh well, we'll be getting more from Bang by the end of this season.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

He just picks up Genos and leaps away.

I like Bang a bunch and am looking forward to seeing him in action during the Boros arc.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm really looking forward to seeing how Melzalgald turns out. Shapeshifters can be an absolute blast if the animation team is up to it, and so far they've delivered in spades.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
It really isn't any different in the manga, but this episode covered one of my favorite things about Saitama. He doesn't do the right thing because it makes him popular, he does it because it's right. It reminds me of what I like about Superman, with the added bonus that unlike Superman Saitama isn't popular anyway. He's just a dude who does the right thing because he can and gently caress anybody who doesn't like it.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

JosephWongKS posted:

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Onepunch...on?id=248664#20

Old Prisoner: It's been about a year since Boss came here. Boss had just busted a wanted Class A criminal and came here together with that wanted man.

Old Prisoner: I heard it was Boss's own decision to turn himself in... For Boss likes men even though he's a man himself. And that man just happened to be his type.

Old Prisoner: After a year with Boss, that wanted man was nothing but skin and bones, but it didn't matter any more...

Old Prisoner: Because Boss had come up with a very dangerous "solution" in the meantime.

Pri-Pri Prisoner: It's a crime to violate normal boys, but...

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Onepunch...on?id=248664#21

Pri-Pri Prisoner: If it's a criminal boy, it's like I'm punishing him and it's killing two birds with one stone. No one will complain and everything's good!

[Author's Note: This isn't true]
Holy poo poo how did I miss this? Hahaha this is great! Did Pri Pri give that man AIDS?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
He does want to be recognized for his actions though, that's why he signs up to be a hero with Genos.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

It's called character development.

Public recognition was his impetus for joining the Hero Association, yeah, but not long after he starts to see the sort of petty personal politics and showboating it breeds and decides he wants nothing to do with it.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
The thing is, he wants to be recognized for what he actually does. No more, no less. This episode specifically highlights that. He's willing to let people blame him for destroying the meteor, but not for destroying the city, because he did the first thing but the second wasn't anything he could have stopped and not something he personally did.

Basically he wants a very specific kind of recognition (and I'm not even totally sure Saitama himself knows what it is) and if he can't get it then he doesn't really care what people say about him.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
"Take it up with the meteor, you dumbasses" encapsulates the events fair enough.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I finished reading 100 Mob Psycho and it actually rivals OPM more than I considered it earlier. Also, ONE is great at drawing everything except people. There's some nice rocks and landscapes there.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
drawing people is pretty hard so I can relate

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Yeah the metal knight section was literally animated better in the manga. No avoiding that though, there was no way they could have made that look any better.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
The thing I'm saddest about is, if I remember right, in the manga the force of Saitama jumping to hit the meteor makes the building get slammed halfway into the ground and that was super cool.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Yeah this episode was great but the bits that were not animated as well or just not animated at all were really noticeable.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

True, I was really looking forward to see him sinking the building and it's a shame it didn't make it in. I guess it's unfair to hold anything 100% up to Murata's standards though.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Murata also takes as long as he needs to make it look amazing, the anime doesn't have that luxury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

sharktamer posted:

Yeah the metal knight section was literally animated better in the manga. No avoiding that though, there was no way they could have made that look any better.

Everything that's been "Animated better in the manga" has involved stuff like sweeping camera angles which I imagine would be a complete goddamn pain to actually animate, so it's completely understandable.

Edit: Also yeah, Murata had 2 weeks to do that one sequence whereas the anime has one week to cover about 4 times the material.