Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
So where is everybody setting up shop for themselves(or where is everyone's "hub" settlements for that matter?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I set up my area at the red rocket. There's no settlers there so it's just me and my companions.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Used to be Sanctuary Falls but a bug with a radient quest there caused me not to be able to make supply lines or send companions there so I moved everything to The Castle, old forts kick rear end.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

momtartin posted:

The Corveage Assembly plant is the worst loving designed place ever.
I did Corvega after all the goon bitching and I don't get it. I walked in through the front door, I killed 3 raiders, one of them was named and it said quest complete.
I decided to wader around and do a full clear on the place, and it wasn't really a big deal.

flyingkiwi
Jun 1, 2012

Wowzers!
A fully upgraded Nerverending shotgun is the most powerful weapon in the wasteland

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Viperix posted:

So where is everybody setting up shop for themselves(or where is everyone's "hub" settlements for that matter?)

Judging by posts and screenshots throughout this thread and on reddit, seems like Sanctuary and Red Rocket are very popular, being the first two available. Red Rocket also has some interesting architecture already in place. I opted for The Slog, which I'm quite liking. It would have been nice to browse around for other cool spots, but Garvey kept giving me radiant missions that didn't end up adding new settlements and I wasn't interested in doing that poo poo over and over to hopefully get some quests that did.

Vargs posted:

Despite being completely pointless and occasionally frustrating, I've been enjoying the base building stuff. Think I've finally settled on this one I made at The Slog. The settlements I created at the gas station and Hangman's Alley were a bit too cramped and had major pathfinding issues, while Sanctuary was a bit too spread out and desolate. This one is just right, and the poolside atmosphere makes it feel downright cheery compared to the rest of the game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

so what the hell determines which settlement gets new people? it sure as hell isn't size or resources, because I have 14 people in outpost zimonja but had like 8 in sanctuary, even though sanctuary had the most resources/defense and zimonja has literally nothing because I never touched it after unlocking it

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Manatee Cannon posted:

wow the thing with hancock after the big dig did not turn out the way I expected

I kill his bodyguard, steal his poo poo, weasel my way out of paying the debt or killing bobbi... and hancock decides to join as a companion? well alright buddy, welcome aboard

Bethesda writing lol

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

so what the hell determines which settlement gets new people? it sure as hell isn't size or resources, because I have 14 people in outpost zimonja but had like 8 in sanctuary, even though sanctuary had the most resources/defense and zimonja has literally nothing because I never touched it after unlocking it

Have you set up a radio signal in Sanctuary?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Have you set up a radio signal in Sanctuary?

I thought I did but apparently not. that does make sense tho

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Why does my difficulty and pip boy color reset every time i restart the game? I have all my .ini's set to readonly and am using the fo4 configuration tool from fonexus.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Bob NewSCART posted:

Why does my difficulty and pip boy color reset every time i restart the game? I have all my .ini's set to readonly and am using the fo4 configuration tool from fonexus.

Did you set your .ini to Read Only -before- changing the difficulty and pip-boy color? Maybe that's preventing your changes from sticking.

I'd also just like to say that light blue is totally the way to go for pip-boy colors. It makes for a pleasant UI and the flashlight ends up being a nice neutral white that doesn't bathe your surroundings in Quake 2.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Vargs posted:

Did you set your .ini to Read Only -before- changing the difficulty and pip-boy color? Maybe that's preventing your changes from sticking.

I'd also just like to say that light blue is totally the way to go for pip-boy colors. It makes for a pleasant UI and the flashlight ends up being a nice neutral white that doesn't bathe your surroundings in Quake 2.

I guess I have been editting while they're readonly. So take them off read only, edit them, save, exit, set back to read only, should be good to go?

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009
Hoping someone can help with a gltich. I'm adventuring with Codsworth and after doing some checking around Concord, I can't see him...he is completely invisible. I can hear him talking to me, even issue commands to him when I manage to catch him in my sights, I can hear is sound effects and he does fight alongside me. I can see his outline when I am in building mode as well...but toherwise, he might as well be wearing a stealth boy. I have tried fast traveling, saving and reloading the save and even exiting out of the game and loading again. Any ideas?

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

eSporks posted:

I did Corvega after all the goon bitching and I don't get it. I walked in through the front door, I killed 3 raiders, one of them was named and it said quest complete.
I decided to wader around and do a full clear on the place, and it wasn't really a big deal.

Saying that I am average at gaem is generous at best but that mission was very easy on normal difficulty. 1-3 VATS headshots killed all the low-level raiders, and dog harried the named enemy while I killed him / her from behind. Even without the perk that lets dog hold an enemy he sometimes still will latch on to their sleeve and keep them still for a while.

The only real problems with that mission were:

-Power armor raider, but he can be avoided
-The crazy accurate molotovs that one of the raiders throws. The raider couldn't be found in VATS and I could not see them anywhere. I never even saw the molotovs, there was just a glass-breaking sound and then I was on fire. A bunch of times.

It seems like a huge majority of the questions itt that are not combat-related can be answered with "enter minecraft mode, read the button prompts", while the combat-related issues involve some combination of avoidance, flanking, kiting, and stealth.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Viperix posted:

I set up in Sunshine Tidings Coop. Its the largest settlement I've seen with several (crappy) prebuilt buildings that I converted into dormitories. Most of my work has just been plastering turrets and setting up a power system to light up all the buildings. Also I converted the grain silo into a death tower.

It never even gets attacked now because the defense rating is so high. Only problem with it is I my settlers love to sleep inside my house instead of their dorms which is annoying.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
The amount of improvements from new vegas that they completely ignored has me somewhat suspicious. It's almost like they went out of their way to not include some features. Maybe old Todd's pride got hurt when some people though that new vegas was better than 3.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
If you haven't treated yourself to some Psycho, and heard the associated voice acting, you need to do it now.

It's literally the best thing about having a voiced protagonist.

There is more than one line, so be sure to do it a few times. Protip: best when experienced at low health in front of an enormous monster, and try it in conjunction with Jet.

:2bong:

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Songbearer posted:

I actually turned off crosshairs and have been playing entirely with iron sights and guesstimate spraying. It works and is fun! Try it!

the only way to play. picked that habit up in STALKER. once you get used to it / know where the middle of your screen is you can even do sicknasty headshots without sights :c00lbert:

Tuxedo Jack posted:

If you haven't treated yourself to some Psycho, and heard the associated voice acting, you need to do it now.

It's literally the best thing about having a voiced protagonist.

There is more than one line, so be sure to do it a few times. Protip: best when experienced at low health in front of an enormous monster, and try it in conjunction with Jet.

:2bong:

psychojet is the best drug in this game imo. i never run without it. really handy for bosses/deathclaws/legendaries.

Das Butterbrot fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Nov 16, 2015

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

ShadowMar posted:

you need his ref ID (not base ID) which you can get by clicking on him so reload a save and you can either use player.moveto xxxxx to teleport to him or prid xxxxx and then moveto player to teleport him to you

Thank you :D

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Post more pics and stories about your towns. My main towns that I put care into are sanctuary because it's my old house, and the drive-in. The drive in is just a huge field so very open to make what ever you want. It's a fairly central location so I route a lot of convoys through there and have a nice maket area. Nah, text is boring time to take pictures.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I'm having a weird issue with terminals. They don't display all the text, is there a scroll button I haven't figures out? Right now I can scroll down like one or two lines but then it just cuts off so I get something that just ends like "Covenant was designed from the ground up to" and then nothing.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Das Butterbrot posted:

psychojet is the best drug in this game imo. i never run without it. really handy for bosses/deathclaws/legendaries.

Does the Psycho part last longer than the Jet part? If not it seems like just doing the two drugs separately would be better.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The exploration music on the coast is so drat good I just want to spend all my time there.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

ToxicAcne posted:

The amount of improvements from new vegas that they completely ignored has me somewhat suspicious. It's almost like they went out of their way to not include some features. Maybe old Todd's pride got hurt when some people though that new vegas was better than 3.

I'm sure he was really torn up about all that money Obsidian made them with little investment on their part, and couldn't sleep at night for several weeks because nerds on the internet said mean things about Fallout 3 that he has not and will never see himself. :rolleyes:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I would enjoy base building a lot more if you could tear down existing buildings, and also if there wasn't a limit on parts.Gotta wait for mods I guess.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

The Shortest Path posted:

I would enjoy base building a lot more if you could tear down existing buildings, and also if there wasn't a limit on parts.Gotta wait for mods I guess.

There's already a mod that removes the parts limit.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/132/

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

JoshTheStampede posted:

Does the Psycho part last longer than the Jet part? If not it seems like just doing the two drugs separately would be better.

cant check right now, but i think it makes the jet part last 15 secs instead of 10, which stacks up nicely with the perk from the int tree that ups drug duration.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

The Shortest Path posted:

There are some base areas that basically don't have any buildings. The drive-in near the start of the game is probably the easiest one to get too. I also found a beach settlement that has one tiny crap shack and nothing else, so you could do whatever the gently caress you want there.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Das Butterbrot posted:

cant check right now, but i think it makes the jet part last 15 secs instead of 10, which stacks up nicely with the perk from the int tree that ups drug duration.

Right but the description makes it sound like the Psycho part also only lasts 15 seconds instead of like 10 minutes for normal psycho.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

JoshTheStampede posted:

Right but the description makes it sound like the Psycho part also only lasts 15 seconds instead of like 10 minutes for normal psycho.

i will have to check this, but even so i think id still prefer the 15s (+perk bonus) superbuff, because i pretty much only use drugs in OH SH- type situations, where that duration is enough usually.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Nuebot posted:

So I'm having a weird issue with terminals. They don't display all the text, is there a scroll button I haven't figures out? Right now I can scroll down like one or two lines but then it just cuts off so I get something that just ends like "Covenant was designed from the ground up to" and then nothing.

You have to press enter when you reach the last sentence.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I tried to use mines to kill some mirelurks chasing me and they intentionally sidestepped them everytime they saw me place one :wtf:

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Internet Kraken posted:

I tried to use mines to kill some mirelurks chasing me and they intentionally sidestepped them everytime they saw me place one :wtf:

mirelurks are the goddamn devil. i want to smash every crab person I see. I love walking up to a bloodleaf patch and getting ambushed by like 4 of the fuckers

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This game has the best open world of any game ever imo. The only time I've been close to being bored was when I did a few too many samey super mutant high rises in a row.

After other Bethesda games I've played I think it's kind of crazy how much variety there is.

Also the crafting makes picking up random crap so much more fun.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

What the hell was that Cabot House questline :psyduck:

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Pakled posted:

There's already a mod that removes the parts limit.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/132/

There is a better one now that is just a simple two line text file that you run in the console.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/818/

Put file in your Fo4 directory, in game stand in front of workshop, open workshop mode, open console, click on workshop (to get the ref id) and type "bat settlement" press enter, close console, close workshop mode, open workshop mode, your size is reset to zero, enjoy building!

Starhawk64 posted:

Used to be Sanctuary Falls but a bug with a radient quest there caused me not to be able to make supply lines or send companions there

I think this happened because you hit your settlement cap, its based on your charisma.

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Nov 16, 2015

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

So someone was talking about how corvega was really easy for them, and I was thinking about it. Basically, the clearly main entrance is the super easy route, which is good for newbies but un-intuitive for most gamers. You have a clear optional door entrance, and that sticks you in a small hallway that you'll quickly aggro enemies from. The side-side entrance is even worse, putting you almost directly above where enemies are. Instead of being an alternative route (maybe playing to different character builds), they just put you in a poo poo spot. Then everything is catwalks which can be shot through, and the enemies will be very accurate with high damage grenades, and just makes the thing a poo poo show.

Trompe le Monde
Nov 4, 2009

Anyone encounter a weird bug with nick Valentine making a loud clicking noise constantly, like a machine? Aside from being hilariously appropriate, it's real loving annoying and I prefer nick as a companion so it's problematic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

ZypherIM posted:

So someone was talking about how corvega was really easy for them, and I was thinking about it. Basically, the clearly main entrance is the super easy route, which is good for newbies but un-intuitive for most gamers. You have a clear optional door entrance, and that sticks you in a small hallway that you'll quickly aggro enemies from. The side-side entrance is even worse, putting you almost directly above where enemies are. Instead of being an alternative route (maybe playing to different character builds), they just put you in a poo poo spot. Then everything is catwalks which can be shot through, and the enemies will be very accurate with high damage grenades, and just makes the thing a poo poo show.

Corvega plant? I just got there and entered through a pipe that starts you off against a turret and like three raiders who all blew up spectacularly.

• Locked thread