Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Tekopo posted:

Played Churchill for the first time, managed to win as the UK on turn ten on condition 2: the US just won too many conferences + had too many political influences. The USSR was the only one in Germany but I managed to get to Formosa as the UK. I kinda liked it but it's an incredibly fiddly game.
The fiddle factor is definitely a downside although our second game went more smoothly than our first. I think the track stuff is worth putting up with so you can get to the real meat of the game in the conferences. gently caress the Pol-Mil table though, that thing is obnoxious white noise half the time. We were thrilled every time we didn't have to roll on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The weird thing about the game is that if you are in the lead you have to suppress your "just get as many points as possible" instincts, it's a weird feeling forcing yourself to feed points to the lowest scorer.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Yeah that is a little bit weird, for example in our last game the US player was trying to go for a condition 3 victory and basically blew up his score as much as possible so out of spite I handed the game to Cenotaph by forcing him into Germany and ending the game with a condition 2 victory. By the end I was squarely in last place and the US had about a thirty point lead over me(UK).

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The last turn of our game was really interesting. It was the USSR and me trying to force a US surrender while I used the mil-pols that I sneakily got to remove USSR political influence while the US frantically attempted to stop his guys from invading Japan while preventing the USSR from getting the second front issue.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I hope the next time we play that our third player is a bit more savvy about maintaining a balance of power instead of relentlessly kicking one person't teeth in. I kept trying to feed Ilthe points but our US player wouldn't let me. I worry a bit about the kingmaking not going away even with improved play.

One thing I noticed is that the low value cards can actually be kind of useful if you want to drag one issue back to the center so another player can get it instead of pulling it on to your track. I still try to throw the USSR one point guys to the gulag/firing squad, though.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I think the incentives are right in that there isn't really king making in the traditional sense. If you are first you either want to help the last guy or prevent surrender, if you are first you either want to go past first or kick down the last guy, depending on the situation, and if you are last you want to become second and force surrender. Everyone could have potentially won in our game in the last turn.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

That's good to hear. It's what I envisioned the endgame being but we haven't managed to create that situation yet. Well, we kind of did in the first game but we screwed up a bunch of rules and I didn't want to draw any conclusions from it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Just a heads up, in case anyone is interested: Xenocides is doing a playthorugh of Churchill with goon "help" here

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Gutter Owl posted:

I get that. But it just came out of nowhere and felt like an unintuitive blindside. It really needs better signposting in the rulebook.

(Simmons.txt)

Ahahaha signposting in simmons rulebooks.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

It has arrived :q:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Tekopo posted:

It has arrived :q:

LP it.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Yes. Or at least keep a captain's log, we all want to see how long it takes to bring you down to incoherent mumbling about killing the brutes.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Lichtenstein posted:

Yes. Or at least keep a captain's log, we all want to see how long it takes to bring you down to incoherent mumbling about killing the brutes.
A true Vietnam experience

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Tekopo posted:

A true Vietnam experience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKcAYMb5uk4

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Have any of you played the States of Siege games? I just picked up Ottoman Sunset because it was well-reviewed and I'm particularly interested in that region and era of history. It's like a COIN game you can play solo in less than half an hour, if you can imagine such a thing. There's a companion game for the Austro-Hungarian Empire called Hapsburg Eclipse, which can be played standalone or the two can be linked into a co-op or larger solo game.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

CaptainRightful posted:

Have any of you played the States of Siege games? I just picked up Ottoman Sunset because it was well-reviewed and I'm particularly interested in that region and era of history. It's like a COIN game you can play solo in less than half an hour, if you can imagine such a thing. There's a companion game for the Austro-Hungarian Empire called Hapsburg Eclipse, which can be played standalone or the two can be linked into a co-op or larger solo game.

I used to have both of those, and have played the combined game. It's fun as a pastime, not a whole lot of deep strategy. But they're definitely entertaining games.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I played Levee en Masse when it came out on ipad, it was fun but got pretty repetitive quickly. I like them as really simple solitaire games, though.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Theme has much to do with how much you enjoy VP games, I've found. I really liked Zulu at the Ramparts, but found Cruel Necessity pretty meh, and 80% of it had to do with having read a lot about Rorke's Drift. Then I took a look at Ricky Royal playing the zombie one, and couldn't make it past turn 2.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I think I have the same relationship with Birds of Prey as COOL CORN does with Fields of Fire, the only difference is that instead of selling my copy every time I am driven to tears it gets buried in the deep recesses of my cupboard, until stockholm syndrome kicks in and I drag it out again. I'm current past the 'set it up with a sense of wonder at the intricate game presented' and have moved onto the 'where the gently caress are the rules on IRST vs IRM seekers, how the gently caress do you do a sensor handoff, this equation doesn't tell me anything. What does this variable mean? If a missile is sensor cued, do I *have* to use IRST to cue it? What about radar, can I use that? Oh the IRM playaid! Argh, this chart is so vaaaaaaaaaaaague :argh:'

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

CaptainRightful posted:

Got both of them as a preparation for dawn of the zeds 3rd (kickstartered it) as I have never played a state of siege game before. I like them quite a bit cause they are easy to set up and play in under an hour.

I yet have to try the coop variant though.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Soviet dawn was ok, highly playable. It is shallow, but I think it's necessary for a solo game of its caliber to be so replay able. Unfortunately I think i found a degenerate winning strategy.

Like tekopo and cool corn said, they're fun, but not super deep.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 9, 2015

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Any thoughts on "Nuts! Battle of the Bulge"? It's a card game that was just ported to iOS. Not sure if it's worth the $10.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Are there any good resources for strategy discussion of Empire of the Sun? I'm really fascinated by the mechanics but it tends to take me a while to get an intuitive grasp of a game, especially one as complex as that, and it's hard to log a lot of play time with an eight+ hour game that only one person will play with you.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Check out some of the videos on BGG, some of them are really good. The problem with eots is that strategy is almost entirely reliant on your hand, if you are under ISR, the positions of your air coverage, how far you have advanced, your situation in regards to safe fleet anchorages and a viriety of different factors. There are definite aims that you need to go for but the game does allow for a vast degree of freedom in terms of how you actually achieve them.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

What the hell is this and why does it have words "World in Flames" in its title?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I was just looking at that and wondering if it was any good.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I see it was part of 'Your most anticipated wargame' of 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015, nice.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Well it has World in Flames in the title, 400 counters and 16 pages of weapon development charts, so it's probably the nice streamlined thing the map looks like, but rather WiF with some sanity checks?

[edit] Though probably those charts involve several copies for multiplayer, I suppose?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

StashAugustine posted:

Are there any good resources for strategy discussion of Empire of the Sun? I'm really fascinated by the mechanics but it tends to take me a while to get an intuitive grasp of a game, especially one as complex as that, and it's hard to log a lot of play time with an eight+ hour game that only one person will play with you.

There's always Consimworld, but that comes with the downside of having to use Consimworld

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

MikeCrotch posted:

There's always Consimworld, but that comes with the downside of having to use Consimworld

I defy anyone to come up with a more counterintuitive and ugly website than Consimworld's forums.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

COOL CORN posted:

I defy anyone to come up with a more counterintuitive and ugly website than Consimworld's forums.

What, it's a bunch of megathreads divided into subforums. Compared to BGG where I can't even find the wargaming forums most of the time it's the easiest site in the world.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

The easiest way to find the wargames forum on bgg is to have the subdomain forums module on your front page. Wargames and abstracts are the only two subdomain forums anyone posts in.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Abstract forums are a horrible and hilarious den of toroidal design prodigies and the wargame forums are mostly consimworld with bettet interface, with the exception of the crazy pikachu guy and a legit interesting idea once in a while that gets buried in uninteresting dicussion most of the time.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Also horrible discussions about COIN games being actually euros rather than 'proper wargames'.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I hate the gatekeeping in wargaming and I wish everyone that took part in it would burn in a fire. Some old idiots that are too invested in what does and does not constitute a wargame strangling the hobby from within and then complaining that they don't have enough new opponents to play with.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Does it have counters to clip? Then it's not a real wargame.

Speaking of which, I'm on my fourth game of Sekigahara and Ishida has won all the games. I remember GO being worried about Tokugawa supremacy, but it just doesn't seem to happen.

Also, Tek, have you played Fields of Fire yet?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Tekopo posted:

I hate the gatekeeping in wargaming and I wish everyone that took part in it would burn in a fire. Some old idiots that are too invested in what does and does not constitute a wargame strangling the hobby from within and then complaining that they don't have enough new opponents to play with.

So you say Twilight Struggle is a wargame?!!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Lichtenstein posted:

So you say Twilight Struggle is a wargame?!!
Yep, to some extent. It's in the grey area for sure.

Also no, I haven't clipped FoF yet and my clipping hand is still busted, and I won't play if my playing experience is sullied by unclipped counters.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Tekopo posted:

Yep, to some extent. It's in the grey area for sure.

No, this wasn't a serious question, please don't go this way, thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Too late Lichtenstein, you don't even know the horrors that you have just unleashed.