Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Phlegmish posted:

Maybe he let his three-year-old son draw that one.

Bruce Petty. The New Yorker. 1964.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Wow this is bad.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Ahahahahahahaha, Gary is indeed the Lesser McCoy.
Don't think anyone has posted this. Gotta say I can't hate the /a/ or /co/ Kelly parodies :allears:

Uh, they know that being the "protagonists" of a Kelly cartoon isn't a good thing, right?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Post 9-11 User posted:

Word, amazing you found the exact reference, I was reading-into it too much. Germans crush, Republicans crash, simple war propaganda message.
Frankly, I just failed my research check, and included a fairly irrelevant illustration as an example of contemporary propaganda. Googling the artist should have been a fairly obvious step, but...

(To offer a whiny "everyone else is (are?) doing it", I'm currently compiling a WWII VD posters collection, and I can't count the number of "serious" sites that included "all these men have syphilis" as a genuine poster)

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Wales Grey posted:

Uh, they know that being the "protagonists" of a Kelly cartoon isn't a good thing, right?

I can't tell how deep into Poe territory we are with this one.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

Triggered

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

It's actually a picture of Islam :smug:

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?

Pththya-lyi posted:

It's actually a picture of Islam :smug:

congrats you did it, you got the reference.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

FicusArt posted:

congrats you did it, you got the reference.

:thejoke:

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
First Dog nails it.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

Crying Lara Croft is a nice touch.

It is not Lara Croft, but /co/lette, one of the numerous board mascots
http://the-conservatory.wikia.com/wiki//co/lette

TRAP SPRUNG, I know

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is that the New York skyline?

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Are people posting first dog unironically? I figured it was sort of like when someone kept posting that Barry guy to make us all suffer, but I keep seeing people saying nice things about it. How does anyone read all of those words?

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
First Dog is a very much a love it or hate it politoon. Yes, there are lots of words, but it also makes very good points and an accurate commentary on how Australian media are playing this.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Man I hate reading words. So loving angry about words right now.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Jay Rust posted:

Yes, you see, jet fuel can melt steel beams.

First Dog On The Moon is great, but you need to have the time to read and fathom all the mini gags and the style in general. At first I just couldn't be bothered to read it but now I'm hooked.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
God fuckin' forbid somebody use language to get their point across.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Proust can poo poo in his boot if he thinks I'm going to read all that.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

rodbeard posted:

Are people posting first dog unironically? I figured it was sort of like when someone kept posting that Barry guy to make us all suffer, but I keep seeing people saying nice things about it. How does anyone read all of those words?

It's like This Modern World with actual drawn art and more words+mini-jokes. There's nothing not to like!

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Xander77 posted:

The Germans:

Post 9-11 User posted:

Okay, I know about as much about the Spanish civil war as the Italian campaign, so bear with me (okay, I'm actually going to skim an article for context). It's my same gripe with anti-Nazi movies that portray them as effete: by making your villain stupid you are being incredibly insulting to the intelligence and strength of your sympathetic force. You know, the ones that got bulldozed by an army of drunk, fat, stupid Colonel Klinks (fine for Hogan's Heroes, not so keen on Basterds).

Drunk, pistol-wielding Mickey Mouse on the side of the plane seems right up that alley.

So, a Nationalist plane is shooting down a Republican plane, the Germans supported the Nationalists yet are portraying him as a buffoon? Are they saying that, "Yeah, gently caress these guys, this is a cake walk, anybody can beat them"

Francis Bergese is a French comic book artist (and the designer of covers for heller model kits) with a fondness for painting historical planes, I'm not sure what his commentary is apart from "hey look at this cool dogfight". I'm not ruling out that he might be supportive of the nationalists and this is how he chose to show his opinion on the whole thing.

Unkempt posted:

People paint weird poo poo on the side of their planes.

Also this.

DONT TOUCH THE PC fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Nov 16, 2015

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

"Oops, I completely forgot to draw his hat!"

Imagine if Geraldo Rivera forgot to put on his iconic moustache.

Xander77 posted:

(To offer a whiny "everyone else is (are?) doing it", I'm currently compiling a WWII VD posters collection, and I can't count the number of "serious" sites that included "all these men have syphilis" as a genuine poster)

Baby Corner Kelly riddled with disease from Loose Ladies in Okinawa. That's the magic of propaganda: our ladies are paragons of virtue, their ladies are gutter slags. And Beyond Good And Evil rules, someone posted that very song in a movie chatroom this morning.

Jay Rust posted:

It's a hodge-podge of many cities, I think. Lil' bit of Brooklyn and Jersey in there, too.

In the Lee of the hill, the Judge began shelling the foe:

This is such a dad joke and I love it. :buddy:

:rip:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

IndustrialApe posted:

Francis Bergese is a French comic book artist (and the designer of covers for heller model kits) with a fondness for painting historical planes, I'm not sure what his commentary is apart from "hey look at this cool dogfight". I'm not ruling out that he might be supportive of the nationalists and this is how he chose to show his opinion on the whole thing.

I kind of doubt it, it doesn't seem to fit with the sensibilities he expressed through his work on the Buck Danny series.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Post 9-11 User posted:

This is such a dad joke and I love it. :buddy:

This is how you make Halloween jokes, people!

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

:drat:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Mister Beeg posted:

Okay, everything about this is hilarious

pretty accurate tbh outside of said giant babies actually being able to step on tenured faculty

"#Hold Your Breath For Justice" is about as accurate as you can get for modern political activism.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

You want :words:? Telnaes has :words:.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

hmm where did i leave my insanely small magnifying glass

ah there it is

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Cat Mattress posted:

I kind of doubt it, it doesn't seem to fit with the sensibilities he expressed through his work on the Buck Danny series.

I know about his work on Buck Danny (I got a signed copy of one of his books on my shelf), but went with the old "Everyone you like has horrible opinions" view of the world. :)

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

rodbeard posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn22UlVdpw0

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

Fabricated posted:

pretty accurate tbh outside of said giant babies actually being able to step on tenured faculty

"#Hold Your Breath For Justice" is about as accurate as you can get for modern political activism.

And now someone wants to TELL ME whether I'm serious or not when I tell a girl I'm going to rape them? Ha-rumph!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Selachian posted:

You want :words:? Telnaes has :words:.

too late on the first one

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

I'm looking forward to the cartoon with Hillary holding an exploding baguette and saying "Quelle différence cela fait?" and JRROSE's crying Pepé Le Pew.

Wait wait wait.

Did Zed just rape his wife? Or has this thread just broken me? Like he's behind her, and he says no spaces are truly safe and she's cut off gasping in mid-sentence, and the only way the joke makes sense is if she's told him not to go there before and he's letting her know in the real world her words and consent are powerless.

Someone explain the joke in a non-rapey way and call me a weirdo for reading into it like that kthx

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

De Nomolos posted:

And now someone wants to TELL ME whether I'm serious or not when I tell a girl I'm going to rape them? Ha-rumph!

You're saying I SHOULDN'T make a swastika out of my own feces? Misandreverse racism!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Xanderkish posted:

You're saying I SHOULDN'T make a swastika out of my own feces? Misandreverse racism!

Sounds like SOMEbody doesn't like free expression. This is AMERICA, dammit, and you can draw whatever fascist symbols you want, on whoever's wall you want, in whichever bodily waste medium you want. And if somebody expresses how horrible this is, it is THEY who are simultaneously weak crybabies and mean oppressive bullies.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Fabricated posted:

I think the Ben Garrison cartoon is good, also, and absolutely not absurd, on account of my own goodness, and definite normalcy, compared to the incompetent SJWS, who threaten to upheave my way of life

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Even a literal baby – even a trio of literal babies afflicted by horrific gigantism – can see that poo poo-swastikas are something legitimately worth making a fuss about. A good Paul Tract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

VitalSigns posted:

Wait wait wait.

Did Zed just rape his wife? Or has this thread just broken me? Like he's behind her, and he says no spaces are truly safe and she's cut off gasping in mid-sentence, and the only way the joke makes sense is if she's told him not to go there before and he's letting her know in the real world her words and consent are powerless.

Someone explain the joke in a non-rapey way and call me a weirdo for reading into it like that kthx

The thread has broken you. They are definitely starting to gently caress, but it's not some "I told you no but you are anyways" thing to make the safe space reference an actual joke. It's just Muir randomly spouting right-wing talking points while also having his characters be sexy with each other, like a kid just entering puberty making their barbie dolls gently caress (only that kid has gone their entire life with right-wing talk radio on 24/7).

• Locked thread