Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

ZypherIM posted:

So someone was talking about how corvega was really easy for them, and I was thinking about it. Basically, the clearly main entrance is the super easy route, which is good for newbies but un-intuitive for most gamers. You have a clear optional door entrance, and that sticks you in a small hallway that you'll quickly aggro enemies from. The side-side entrance is even worse, putting you almost directly above where enemies are. Instead of being an alternative route (maybe playing to different character builds), they just put you in a poo poo spot. Then everything is catwalks which can be shot through, and the enemies will be very accurate with high damage grenades, and just makes the thing a poo poo show.

So...am I the only person who didn't enter Corvega by going through Lexington first? Because that's how you get to the "main" door, but I took one look at that place, saw it was loaded to the brim with ghouls and decided to go around to one of the other doors.

I feel like a lot of the problem is just that it's given to you so early in the game. So a lot of your equipment is poo poo and a lot of people are still in that Fallout 3/New Vegas mindset that raider camps are no big deal. I actually went back and did parts of it again because I missed some things I wanted - it was incredibly easy just because this time around I knew enough to treat like a place where I could easily be killed if I wasn't careful. Also Bethesda has a habit of sometimes giving out quests really early, but people rush off to do them instead of preparing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
People take a look at a building with like 3-4 entrances (at minimum), go through one, and when that doesn't work out for them they just bash their head against a wall until it works instead of attempting a different entry point or strategy or

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I chuck drugs pretty regularly in this game, especially jet, when I come up against legendaries but I haven't gotten hooked yet. The biggest fight was in the park in Boston where I used psycho jet, medx and buffout in extreme quantities (I was level 10) and won the fight with no addictions. What actually triggers an addiction?

Also what's the use of alcohol. All of them just give you debuffs.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Demiurge4 posted:

I chuck drugs pretty regularly in this game, especially jet, when I come up against legendaries but I haven't gotten hooked yet. The biggest fight was in the park in Boston where I used psycho jet, medx and buffout in extreme quantities (I was level 10) and won the fight with no addictions. What actually triggers an addiction?

Different kinds of alcohol gives you different buffs to different stats so?

Also whiskey is used in making grape mentats.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Demiurge4 posted:

Most of them give you +1 Strength, +1 Charisma, -1 Intelligence. And they give you "fun" conversation sounds.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Ending talk:

I had hoped for more nuance by going with The Minute Men, given it is the organization the PC leads and has the most direction over, but the outcome was (I imagine) the same: blow up the institute. Couldn't I elect to reign in the institute but otherwise keep them around for the benefit of society? And what about the Brotherhood of Steel, do they just get to hang out and continue on being genocidal with no input? The game is/was fun, but for an RPG it lacked quite a few of the choices I might expect from the world Bethesda built. Although this time around, the world Bethesda built didn't seem to care much for offering choices.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Das Butterbrot posted:

psychojet is the best drug in this game imo. i never run without it. really handy for bosses/deathclaws/legendaries.

I only recently learned of psychojet while serving for the navy.

I was armed with a gauss rifle at the time. :q:

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Lady Naga posted:

People take a look at a building with like 3-4 entrances (at minimum), go through one, and when that doesn't work out for them they just bash their head against a wall until it works instead of attempting a different entry point or strategy or

A valid statement, but on the other hand whomever actually designed that bit should be beat with a stick. He/She had a great chance to build the area so each entranced favored something else, and you would have a great place as a result, even if it is still dead. From a frontal assault, to an overlook/sniper area with actual cover, or maybe some terminals that let you hi-jack some turrets. Instead it is "pick the right door to not have some bullshit".

Outside I didn't really have problems because you have so much space that you can run off and sniper them, and inside the only thing that really got me was the frag grenade on a harder difficulty doing about 90% of my health in one hit.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Dongattack posted:

Is the "Killshot" perk buggy for anyone else? (20% more accuracy on headshots in VATS, you get it from being super bestpals with a companion) I have max headshot accuracy on all ranges with all weapons, even with max Perception i think that might be wrong?
Yeah that companion's perk is bugged to always give 95% headshot accuracy right now, apparently.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've run into a strange problem where I don't have enough leather for my combat armor upgrades (armorer rank 2, can go up to polymer). I'm guessing I should just go out and try to slaughter some raiders?

Not to mention how loving stupid the whole thing looks when I literally have just a few armor plates strapped over my vault suit.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

No Pants posted:

Most of them give you +1 Strength, +1 Charisma, -1 Intelligence. And they give you "fun" conversation sounds.
Actually most booze doesn't give +CHA this time around - mainly beers give CHA.

I usually keep one or two beers and vodkas on-hand for tough conversation choices, and I'll drinka vodka when my carry limit is just a bit short of what I want - it's simple to drink a wine or something for a temporary STR boost then fast-travel somewhere to unload.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Azazell0 posted:

Not to mention how loving stupid the whole thing looks when I literally have just a few armor plates strapped over my vault suit.

Tell me about it. Road Leathers or Military Fatigues underneath make it look slightly (slightly) less stupid.

I've just started seeing Sturdy leather items show up at level 30.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

Tell me about it. Road Leathers or Military Fatigues underneath make it look slightly (slightly) less stupid.

I've just started seeing Sturdy leather items show up at level 30.

I have the BoS uniform underneath my combat armor and it all goes together pretty well (plus it has its own resistances). I'll just be glad when I can snag one that isn't that orange-red color.

Can the armor pieces like that be painted at all? I know the power armor can be and I know someone said something about doing that. I finally found a paint mixer at least. :v:

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

Omi no Kami posted:

Holy crap, the Unlimited ammo weapons are game changers.

Are you sure you don't just mean that you don't have to reload?

coyo7e posted:

Actually most booze doesn't give +CHA this time around - mainly beers give CHA.

I usually keep one or two beers and vodkas on-hand for tough conversation choices, and I'll drinka vodka when my carry limit is just a bit short of what I want - it's simple to drink a wine or something for a temporary STR boost then fast-travel somewhere to unload.

I always hear people say they save cha boosting items for speech.. But how do you know you'll even need it? Do you just compulsively save before talking to anyone?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Kimmalah posted:

I have the BoS uniform underneath my combat armor and it all goes together pretty well (plus it has its own resistances). I'll just be glad when I can snag one that isn't that orange-red color.

Can the armor pieces like that be painted at all? I know the power armor can be and I know someone said something about doing that. I finally found a paint mixer at least. :v:

There's a BoS Officer Uniform which is very very very black - you have to kill Paladin Brandis to get it though!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I loaded up the game in the middle of beantown brewery and couldn't remember what I had been doing or how much I'd cleared, but I managed to fumble my way through it (love the computer terminal in tower tom's room) and as I'm leaving, Dogmeat barks and then runs over to a dumpster and howls at it.

I open it up, and find the huge cache of weapons and junk mats I'd stashed in the trashcan before entering the building, and which I'd totally forgotten about.

Good boy dogmeat, good boy. :btroll:

Azazell0 posted:

I've run into a strange problem where I don't have enough leather for my combat armor upgrades (armorer rank 2, can go up to polymer). I'm guessing I should just go out and try to slaughter some raiders?

Some armor sets look totally different over different underclothes, so play around. I wish I could put it on over a suit though, so I wouldn't have to keep changing back and forth..

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Otacon posted:

There's a BoS Officer Uniform which is very very very black - you have to kill Paladin Brandis to get it though!

That was my plan actually! :v: The gray variant would be fine too and from what I hear vertibird crews just fall out of the sky all the time.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

I feel I've finally found a somewhat decent look after I got rid of my vaultsuit for Road Leathers and changed all my combat armour to the Shadowed variant.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

And to everyone saying Dogmeat is the best companion, I beg to differ.

https://gfycat.com/UniformRealImperialeagle

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Kimmalah posted:

That was my plan actually! :v: The gray variant would be fine too and from what I hear vertibird crews just fall out of the sky all the time.

I don't think I've ever seen a Brotherhood Vertibird team successfully attack a position. It's pretty much always fun to watch, though!

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

Darth Windu posted:

If i want to focus on luck and agility should i be a cowboy

I don't know what I like more: the fact that everyone's ignoring you or that you REALLY want to be a cowboy

Edit: lol that post history

Koala Cola fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Nov 16, 2015

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

The Inon Zur score is really good this time and that's especially welcome because I've only listened to the radio a couple of times. I don't understand why they reused so much of the Fallout 3 songs.

Todd Howard posted:

People heard these songs 2000 times in Fallout 3, so why not make the player listen to them again.

It's too bad because radios were an important part of the experience in 3 and NV.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I like how the best the wastes can muster is pipe weaponry but get a little bit of steel and plastic and you can magic up some 21st century optics.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Does bashing with your gun count as a melee attack?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

alright so I complete the molecular level and start the next quest. build the teleporter with sturges and invade the institute. but then I get there and things stop making sense. institute man is the pc's son? how does that work? do they explain why kellog looks the same after 60 years? was he a synth or something? why is this not a dialog option

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Manatee Cannon posted:

alright so I complete the molecular level and start the next quest. build the teleporter with sturges and invade the institute. but then I get there and things stop making sense. institute man is the pc's son? how does that work? do they explain why kellog looks the same after 60 years? was he a synth or something? why is this not a dialog option

You can find about it on one of the terminals. Basically Kellog was pumped so full of various gizmos that he was basically a cyborg, and it stopped him aging.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

You can find about it on one of the terminals. Basically Kellog was pumped so full of various gizmos that he was basically a cyborg, and it stopped him aging.

oh, that's... huh

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Did you not loot Kellog after killing him? He had 3 pieces of cybernetic implants in him. Probably not prone to aging.

Lugaloco posted:

I feel I've finally found a somewhat decent look after I got rid of my vaultsuit for Road Leathers and changed all my combat armour to the Shadowed variant.

S'not bad.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I've been trying to play using a melee/stealth build, and I can't figure out if the stealth system is bugged, badly designed or if I'm just loving it up on some level (I suspect 2-3 of these might be true at once).

The basic problem is that enemies go into "Caution" mode, almost at random, which makes sneaking up close enough to melee strike them extremely frustrating. I'm level 16, I have no companion, I have 3 levels of sneak and all leather armor which has been upgraded using both Shadowed and Muffled. I'm also being careful to stay out of sight as much as possible and to only push the stick on the joypad halfway so I don't move too fast.

Often, the enemy says something like "What was that sound?", or "I hear something!", but they'll be like 50 meters away and I won't have done anything to alert them apart from slowly move around a corner, which is why I was thinking that the AI's listen-for-footsteps code wasn't working properly. Sometimes it does work, I can slowly move up behind them, or even approach them from the side, and they won't trigger. Issue I have is I can't figure out what I'm doing that means it's sometimes successful and sometimes isn't.

The only reliable solution I've had so far is to get the Blitz perk, which is a loving ton of fun. I can go from 8 meters behind someone, to decapitating them with a wrench in a fraction of a second. If you time it right, you can even do multiple melee sneak attack kills in a single VAT session. It does feel like cheating though.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

I'm not very creative, but I found something fun for those who are. If you pick a woman to begin with, and then later edit her features before leaving the vault, you can type sexchange in the console. This gives you a man character, but keeps the women hairstyles. I was trying to make Anton Chigurh, but I can't get it right at all.

http://imgur.com/gallery/6Z9PbRq

Protons fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Nov 16, 2015

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
I don't do the stealth thing much, but make sure you turn off your pip boy light and pay attention to search lights and those monkeys with cymbals(?).

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
So last night, I killed a Legendary Viscous Mongrel who was hiding in a house while I was scavenging and got.. nothing. Absolutely nothing. No super loot. Just mongrel meat. That's really loving lame. Not like it was a hard fight, and not like I needed more useless garbage which is what I normally get from Legendaries, but it was Legendary. The only thing I can figure is that he happened to mutate while I was in VATS and I killed him in the same time span. Maybe mutations change their drop tier and it hadn't had a chance to re-roll?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Hamburger Test posted:

I don't do the stealth thing much, but make sure you turn off your pip boy light and pay attention to search lights and those monkeys with cymbals(?).

My light is switched off (I read the FO3 wiki and tried all the sneaking tips from that), the search lights is a possibility though. I found this morning that I could disable them from a terminal, and that they had diagnostics about detecting intruders. Still, this seems to happen everywhere for me, not just in places where they have defenses and lights set up.

I was thinking that maybe the system is rolling dice behind the scenes, and that all my perks and special armor is just making the rolls more likely to come up in my favor? It would explain why enemies suddenly magically know I'm around, because they rolled a 20 and I rolled a 1 or something.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Gerblyn posted:

My light is switched off (I read the FO3 wiki and tried all the sneaking tips from that), the search lights is a possibility though. I found this morning that I could disable them from a terminal, and that they had diagnostics about detecting intruders. Still, this seems to happen everywhere for me, not just in places where they have defenses and lights set up.

I was thinking that maybe the system is rolling dice behind the scenes, and that all my perks and special armor is just making the rolls more likely to come up in my favor? It would explain why enemies suddenly magically know I'm around, because they rolled a 20 and I rolled a 1 or something.

Are you running instead of walking? On PC you can hit caps lock to toggle between them.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Basic Chunnel posted:

I'm not really looking forward to the hoped-for Obsidian spinoff, honestly. All of the things that Obsidian excels at (granular, considered system building, dense dialogue, player choice) have been cut from FO4 almost entirely. They were able to make their own distinct game out of all FO3's parts. I don't think that kind of magic can be worked on FO4. The VA aspect by itself more or less makes a game like FONV made on FONV's timeframe an impossible project.

Certainly a game with New Vegas's budget and time frame is impossible, but they did a good job with Alpha Protocol's similar dialogue system. If they brought back that character's voice actor and just had him wander around being an rear end in a top hat to people they'd be off to a good start.

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Alright so I've had a ton of performance woes with this game, anywhere to low 30's high 20's in some cases, provably averaging 40-45 if I'm lucky

Any time I'm in a large city or lots of buildings I get this complete lock up of my game for around 6 or 7 seconds and it happens probably every minute or less in big spots, then is back to "normal"

The frame rates I've been screwing with for ages now in various websites and lots of ini fuckery and pretty much nothing helps, not even if I turn down every setting in the launcher and I downloaded 2 ini files that tweaked everything that couldn't be messed with in the launcher

As for the near constant freezing I have zero idea if this is causing my fps issues (only happens frequently in cities!!) or the fps issues are causing this

I'm on an i5 quad, 8 gigs of ram, an HD6900 (yes I'm aware it's old but others say they can play decently on it. Game is on an SSD too and loading screens are sometimes shorter than my freezes!

I would love any help!!!

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
Christ. I went into the armoury at the National Guard Training place and picked the place clean. I got the T-51 power armour (only 3 parts + frame) and walked outside so I could fast travel away with it. Didn't have a fusion core. The loving sentry bot that was inactive before I went inside, was now IN MY FACE.

and that is how you get addicted to jet really quickly.

Speaking of addiction, is it a random arbitrary bullshit chance to get addicted, or does it actually take into account how much you've used over the last few in-game days?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Emong posted:

Are you running instead of walking? On PC you can hit caps lock to toggle between them.

I'm using a joypad, and never moving at full speed. I dunno if there's a threshold I'm going over? At level 22 or so I can get the perk which negates movement penalties for sneaking, and I'm curious to see what effect it will have.

I looked around to see if anyone else is having the issue, and there are a bunch of complaints that sneaking is too hard, mixed with people saying sneaking is easy if you use a sniper rifle. It's without doubt much harder to sneak in this game than in Skyrim, I playing that a few weeks back and backstabbed people all over the place.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well I've now seen the most horrifying thing of all in the Commonwealth Wasteland; an intact and stable Vault :suspense:. I was waiting for the other shoe to drop and find out they were all cannibals or something until I found the Old Overseer's Terminal. Where is the hidden chamber with the scientists and Curie, out of curiosity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

I can pull up some of my temps for when I was playing too if anyone thinks this might be the issue?

• Locked thread