Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

TetsuoTW posted:

Post your Fallout 4 man/woman, show me what you got I want to see what you got.

I haven't taken a screenshot yet but I am Superallah bin Obama.

ur welcum

In other news, I'm glad that fat nerdy MRT anger bro got outed and shamed. A good day for Taiwan all around.

Edit: Comedy option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

The Great Autismo! posted:

best move of ya life!

In seriousness, I'm still not sure what I'm going to do when this year's contract ends. I'm enjoying Taiwan, but think I'd want to try a bigger city if I stay. There are some things going on at my branch that might affect my decision to stay in Chiayi or not, but I'm not sure if I should be letting it. Otherwise, I really do feel like I need to increase my income more than the incremental raise that I'll get; I'm not scraping by, but I'm not able to save up money as quickly as other people seem to (probably a HESS thing). So I am looking at options outside of Taiwan as well. Basically, I'm open at this point. I like Taiwan and I like teaching, I'm just not sure what the year after this one is going to look like.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

please let me show you screenshots of all The Ladies swooning over me

YF19pilot posted:

In seriousness, I'm still not sure what I'm going to do when this year's contract ends. I'm enjoying Taiwan, but think I'd want to try a bigger city if I stay. There are some things going on at my branch that might affect my decision, but I'm not sure if I should be letting it. Otherwise, I really do feel like I need to increase my income more than the incremental raise that I'll get; I'm not scraping by, but I'm not able to save up money as quickly as other people seem to (probably a HESS thing). So I am looking at options outside of Taiwan as well. Basically, I'm open at this point. I like Taiwan and I like teaching, I'm just not sure what the year after this one is going to look like.

If you aren't making enough money in a small city, you are playing the ESL game as wrong as possible. The small town teachers are the ones with the lowest living costs (duh) and often the highest salaries on account of their demand. Get out of HESS asap if you find yourself scrapping by in whatever tiny town you are in.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
i'll post a screenshot in a bit but just FYI i'm playing as a lady and there's about a 50/50 chance that any given NPC will refer to me as "he"

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

quadrophrenic posted:

i'll post a screenshot in a bit but just FYI i'm playing as a lady and there's about a 50/50 chance that any given NPC will refer to me as "he"
v cool of bethesda to be so inclusive of non-binary genders imo

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Fallout 4 owns. My son is out in the wilderness somewhere, alone and scared, but I'm spending all my time running around the suburbs scrapping cars and building lovely walls.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Pandemonium posted:

If you aren't making enough money in a small city, you are playing the ESL game as wrong as possible. The small town teachers are the ones with the lowest living costs (duh) and often the highest salaries on account of their demand. Get out of HESS asap if you find yourself scrapping by in whatever tiny town you are in.

He said he's in Chiayi man. It's a little bit bigger than you seem to think it is, as I often tell my girlfriend.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

House Louse posted:

He said he's in Chiayi man. It's a little bit bigger than you seem to think it is, as I often tell my girlfriend.

He's scrapping by in Chiayi. What is rent, $8,000 tops? What is there to do? Nothing. Point still stands.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Pandemonium posted:

He's scrapping by in Chiayi. What is rent, $8,000 tops? What is there to do? Nothing. Point still stands.

I actually said I'm not scraping by, but also not rolling in the dough the way many folks seem to at least pretend to. I'm saving some money, just not as quickly or as much as I'd like.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

YF19pilot posted:

I actually said I'm not scraping by, but also not rolling in the dough the way many folks seem to at least pretend to. I'm saving some money, just not as quickly or as much as I'd like.

so yeah, scrapping by

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
are you sure you aren't reading the Korea thread when you hear about people in rural towns making bank? Because even in Chiayi, you still have to pay your own rent, pay for your airfare to and from the country, and your only real bonus is getting tax money back if you stayed for half the calendar year.

You can save money, but you need to 1. Work more than 22-25 hours a week and 2. Eat like a Taiwanese person and not like a Westerner.

Even then, you will probably top out at saving $10000 USD a year.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Slowpoke! posted:

are you sure you aren't reading the Korea thread when you hear about people in rural towns making bank? Because even in Chiayi, you still have to pay your own rent, pay for your airfare to and from the country, and your only real bonus is getting tax money back if you stayed for half the calendar year.

You can save money, but you need to 1. Work more than 22-25 hours a week and 2. Eat like a Taiwanese person and not like a Westerner.

Even then, you will probably top out at saving $10000 USD a year.

One disadvantage about working in Chiayi is that I can't pick up extra hours subbing for other Hess teachers unless another teacher here is out. And we don't teach kindie, so it basically boils down to me subbing when I would've been working anyways. The next nearest branches are too far away to make things practical. And I don't really feel like pissing my boss off by working mornings at another buxiban.

Otherwise, looking forward to my tax return next year.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Get a kindie job and don't tell your boss. Seems simple enough.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
n e ways, here's my fallout lady

this game is starting to grow on me

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Putting elderly drug addicts in charge of your food production seems like a bad idea to me.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Moon Slayer posted:

Putting elderly drug addicts in charge of your food production seems like a bad idea to me.

i had just convinced her to kick the juice seconds before i took that shot, btw

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

You're a better man than I ... I wanted to hear those visions.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

YF19pilot posted:

One disadvantage about working in Chiayi is that I can't pick up extra hours subbing for other Hess teachers unless another teacher here is out. And we don't teach kindie, so it basically boils down to me subbing when I would've been working anyways. The next nearest branches are too far away to make things practical. And I don't really feel like pissing my boss off by working mornings at another buxiban.

Otherwise, looking forward to my tax return next year.

Does this mean you never work before 2 PM? Not sure if Chiayi follows the Taipei Hess schedule.

If that is the case, you could certainly pick up hours working at a kindy. It would be double-illegal, both working at a kindy and working outside of your visa, but it is what it is and a lot of people do it.

Consider transferring to Taipei when your contract is done, if you like Hess and want to stay in Taiwan. In Taipei you can work as many hours as you'd like, usually. It might not always be easy getting between all of the branches (unless you have a scooter), but you could hit 30+ hours a week easily.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Slowpoke! posted:

Does this mean you never work before 2 PM? Not sure if Chiayi follows the Taipei Hess schedule.

If that is the case, you could certainly pick up hours working at a kindy. It would be double-illegal, both working at a kindy and working outside of your visa, but it is what it is and a lot of people do it.

Consider transferring to Taipei when your contract is done, if you like Hess and want to stay in Taiwan. In Taipei you can work as many hours as you'd like, usually. It might not always be easy getting between all of the branches (unless you have a scooter), but you could hit 30+ hours a week easily.

Yeah, first class is at 2 PM. I was thinking if I stayed with Hess, I'd probably move to Taichung or Kaohsiung so I can pick up more hours through subbing. As for working outside of the branch, I'm not sure it'd be cool to go into details on a public board, but someone's already kicked that hornet's nest and if I wanted to do something like that, I think it'd be best to wait until things cool off. For now, I occasionally help my Taiwanese friends (who are teachers at other schools) who pay me with movies and dinner; and sometimes I translate and edit college papers. Not very often, maybe one every month or so, but I've been charging $1000 and people have been happy to pay.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

YF19pilot posted:

Yeah, first class is at 2 PM. I was thinking if I stayed with Hess, I'd probably move to Taichung or Kaohsiung so I can pick up more hours through subbing. As for working outside of the branch, I'm not sure it'd be cool to go into details on a public board, but someone's already kicked that hornet's nest and if I wanted to do something like that, I think it'd be best to wait until things cool off. For now, I occasionally help my Taiwanese friends (who are teachers at other schools) who pay me with movies and dinner; and sometimes I translate and edit college papers. Not very often, maybe one every month or so, but I've been charging $1000 and people have been happy to pay.

Depending on the length of the paper that's because they're happy to rip you off.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Yeah seriously I've had friends who did that kind of work for NT$1,000 ... per hour that they worked on it.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

It's not the length, it's how bad the English is, but Jesus, that's too cheap. Compare it to Hess pay at $600/hour, it's less than 90 minutes' work, and unless their English is good and just needs a polish, you're working a hell of a lot harder.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Moon Slayer posted:

Yeah seriously I've had friends who did that kind of work for NT$1,000 ... per hour that they worked on it.
My standard rate for proofreading is NT$800 per hour, and even then I feel like I'm probably underselling myself.

And if you're translating entire papers for NT$1000 I need to professionally ask you to get out of that kind of work because you're screwing up the market by way, way, waaaaaaaaaay lowballing literally the entire profession.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Nov 15, 2015

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

My standard rate for proofreading is NT$800 per hour, and even then I feel like I'm probably underselling myself.

And if you're translating entire papers for NT$1000 I need to professionally ask you to get out of that kind of work because you're screwing up the market by way, way, waaaaaaaaaay lowballing literally the entire profession.

The friend I was thinking of was just editing, not translating. If you can translate professional documents from Chinese into English, I would think you could just set up your own business and make bank.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

TetsuoTW posted:

I've proofread 3 papers in the past year. Two papers only took me about 30~45 minutes each, charged $1000. One took me about 2 hours to go through, charged $2000. The big one and one of the little ones were both from the same person who already has good English, and was just catching out grammar and verb tense errors. I was afraid $1000/hr was too much, I really don't know what the going rates are on this stuff. I don't advertise, just students of a friend. I wouldn't mind doing proofreading and editing as a side thing, but I don't know anything about what to charge or how to connect with potential clients. Basically, I'd like the extra money, but don't know what's "fair" to charge.

Moon Slayer posted:

The friend I was thinking of was just editing, not translating. If you can translate professional documents from Chinese into English, I would think you could just set up your own business and make bank.

Sorry, translate wasn't the word I meant. I couldn't do translation professionally, it'd end up being just me running the papers through Google translate one sentence at a time and cleaning it up to hopefully fit things together properly. My Chinese is barely beginner level.

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Nov 15, 2015

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Not to double post, but maybe I'm just worrying too much about money. I've been trying to plan a vacation back to the US on top of everything else (new computer, etc) and it just seems like a very expensive goal. I've been balking at dropping NT$20,000 on building a new computer, because I"m afraid of how much that would push back my vacation plans. I have more than US$1,000 in total savings at the moment. I've managed to buy my own scooter, a motorcycle and a car and took some Chinese classes at the local university. I'm not living paycheck-to-paycheck. I'm just worried about having enough money to take a vacation when I want to take the vacation, I'm trying to be as independent as possible, and I don't want my folks thinking I'm bad with money like my brother is sometimes.

Lots of other things I'm worried about, too. Sometimes I worry that I worry too much.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Lose a vehicle. One for wet & windy days, one for dry.

Most folk I know get home once per two years unless they are doing quite well (this obv depends on location India vs. US vs. Eu) but 18 months is a pretty respectable ballpark.

Also, you haven't had your tax rebate, so you haven't caught up to your paycheck yet....its gets alot easier after 18 months in.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

url posted:

Lose a vehicle. One for wet & windy days, one for dry.

Most folk I know get home once per two years unless they are doing quite well (this obv depends on location India vs. US vs. Eu) but 18 months is a pretty respectable ballpark.

Also, you haven't had your tax rebate, so you haven't caught up to your paycheck yet....its gets alot easier after 18 months in.

I was going to sell the scooter, but someone is renting it from me at the moment. When she goes home I'll off load it.

Looking things over, I think it's just going from the four years prior to moving here, where I made very little money, to now I'm still in this super-saver mode where I get nervous about spending money. I think when I actually look back on things I am making the money I"m suppose to, I just get anxious about spending it. Otherwise, looking forward to the tax rebate next year. I didn't get one this year because I started working in October.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Moon Slayer posted:

Nah, businesses here don't understand the worth of a good translator. Perhaps in Taipei, but not in Taichung. They'd rather pay a Taiwanese dog shite for awful awful translations.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Know what we haven't had in a while? Cell phone chat. My contracts coming to an end soon so I'm looking to upgrade to a phablet. What's the new hotness? Is the HTC phablet (whatever it's called) any good? I've been really happy with my One for the last two and a half years.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I have nothing bad to say about the Samsung Galaxy S6, but given that my experience with HTC was that they make entirely disposable phones with a build quality to match, YMM clearly V.

e: Actually no, I do have one complaint, which is that putting the speaker on the bottom edge of the phone is loving stupid.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

I'm a nexus guy, waiting for the new 5 to be released in Taiwan, but I actually wouldn't recommend the 6 since it's made by HuaWei and apparently bends it like Beckham.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I'm a XiaoMi man. They're cheap but they work.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
6S+ is pretty amazing.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm a XiaoMi man. They're cheap but they work.

You directly support China and Chinese business practices. You bring great shame on this thread and on Taiwan.

--HTC Butterfly 2 owner ($2,000 NTD with an extension of my contract)

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

thegoat posted:

6S+ is pretty amazing.

That one of those dirty iPhones? Get that poo poo outta here.

it's cool I just prefer Android

Funny phone/Taiwan living story: my phone contract is actually in an old HESS coworker's name, because it's easier to get a contract that way if you're a foreigner on a one-year ARC and don't speak Chinese. When I moved to Taipei we tried over and over again to get them to send the bill to my new address, but because of something to do with whose name was on the paperwork this was super impossible for them to do. So now every month I go to the local TW Mobile store and give them my number, which of course comes up as a Taiwanese woman's name. This really confuses them. A bit inconvenient but sowing confusion like that makes it worth it.

EDIT: I'm leaning towards the S6 Edge +, myself

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Nov 16, 2015

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Pandemonium posted:

You directly support China and Chinese business practices. You bring great shame on this thread and on Taiwan.

Who gives a poo poo, everything is made at Foxconn anyway.

Edit: Glorious Foxconn that discriminates against Chinese factory workers.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If you guys are proof reading papers you should it's 10k NTD or bust. Don't undersell yourself and remember that the other person is probably rushing things to hand the paper. Leverage your skills against their diminishing time.

Stop selling yourselves short goons

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

caberham posted:

If you guys are proof reading papers you should it's 10k NTD or bust. Don't undersell yourself and remember that the other person is probably rushing things to hand the paper. Leverage your skills against their diminishing time.

Stop selling yourselves short goons

I did a 30 page paper for 12k NT recently so that's about right, but lol if you're going to charge 10k NT for proof reading like 5 pages or something.

quote:

I too enjoy a lovely launcher with a bunch of garbage uninstallable Baidu crap and delayed updates, as well as a complete lack of support after a week when they release the newest piece of HTC garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

Who gives a poo poo, everything is made at Foxconn anyway.

Edit: Glorious Foxconn that discriminates against Chinese factory workers.

You do know Foxconn is a Taiwanese company?