Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I still think some of your criticism is coming from weird notions about what you think the game is trying to do and failing at, and in some cases is just based on a false premise; that the relationship between you (Gary) the player, the player character, and the first fallen child you named is muddled and unclear isn't sloppy writing, it's deliberate and serves both the meta crap the game is doing and the weird supernatural horror element of the plot that's exposed when you start overturning stuff.

I can't remember saying that I thought that stuff was sloppy writing. Can you clarify what I said that you're referring to? Most things related to writing in Undertale I can get behind. I just don't like the conflict resolution mechanics in multiple ways, from difficulty, to accessibility, to feedback, to tedium and I disliked them enough to where I don't think it's a very good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

did somebody say one of the next WOFF episodes was Fallout 3 or did I imagine it

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

MinibarMatchman posted:

did somebody say one of the next WOFF episodes was Fallout 3 or did I imagine it

Next is Castlevania, then Thief Deadly Shadows, then Rocket Slime THEN Fallout 3.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I'd be excited if Fallout 3 wasn't a game goons get weird about.

On the other hand, Rocket Slime.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I'd be excited if Fallout 3 wasn't a game goons get weird about.

On the other hand, Rocket Slime.

Goons can get overly aggressive about Bethesda games, but there's nothing weird about pointing out how hosed up and poorly designed that game is in hindsight, especially considering how much better New Vegas was. Even Fallout 4 does a good job of highlighting its issues. Much like Oblivion its flaws are so massive that it's really difficult to try and place it in the right context of its time, because back then they did not stand out anywhere near as much as they do today. Both those games have aged astoundingly quickly.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I hated skyrim so I have a good baseline for fallout 3 even though I caned it. Since fallout 3 I haven't completed a Bethesda game.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Listening to the WOFF about System Shock, and the part where they talk about how it's double-lonely because the only other living voice hates you made me realize how much I want an episode on The Void. Nothing I've played does lonely blasted desperation like The Void, and it has a full cast of characters. The thing is, if you're going to choose one Ice-Pick lodge game to to it'd have to be Pathologic, right? Maybe next Halloween. I could see an Abject Suffering on Knock-Knock, because that game is opaque as hell and relatively short. Can't be worse than mountain biking.

The main problem I have with Ice Pick's oeuvre is they're all excellent pieces of art but they're not always fun to actually play so I think people making podcasts on them might be one of the better avenues of experience.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I actually think The Void is a more interesting game than Pathologic is, if only because of how much more weird and insanely creative it is. The brothers are some of the most inspired character designs of the last decade at least.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

NmareBfly posted:

The main problem I have with Ice Pick's oeuvre is they're all excellent pieces of art but they're not always fun to actually play so I think people making podcasts on them might be one of the better avenues of experience.

This is how I feel about Rail Slave Games. So I submitted more than a few of their games to Abject Suffering.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Seconding The Void as probably a better introduction to Ice Pick Lodge. Would be cool to hear the woffboyz' take on it. The Pathologic remake isn't going to be out for a little while (though there's an HD retranslation already out, if anyone was just waiting for that) so if they do The Void and end up liking it they could go back to that a year or two later.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Only problem with The Void is that it's possible to reach an unwinnable state without understanding why. It's not a game that thrives on feedback although that's definitely part of the "experience."

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

al-azad posted:

Only problem with The Void is that it's possible to reach an unwinnable state without understanding why. It's not a game that thrives on feedback although that's definitely part of the "experience."

Same goes for Pathologic? Though I guess it's a bit easier to understand the why there.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Hakkesshu posted:

Goons can get overly aggressive about Bethesda games, but there's nothing weird about pointing out how hosed up and poorly designed that game is in hindsight, especially considering how much better New Vegas was. Even Fallout 4 does a good job of highlighting its issues. Much like Oblivion its flaws are so massive that it's really difficult to try and place it in the right context of its time, because back then they did not stand out anywhere near as much as they do today. Both those games have aged astoundingly quickly.

Thanks for the demonstration.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Thanks for the demonstration.

No thanks for being a douchebag

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Oh dear god why would you do a podcast about Deadly Shadows while ignoring the empirically better original duology!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think that while the first two Thieves are better games, Deadly Shadows is more interesting to talk about.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yup, sure is mighty interesting to talk about those cul-de-sac sized levels or that exquisite level design of dying as soon as you make contact with a body of water.

Ah, who am I to argue, they'll squeeze a good 25 minutes out of the Cradle alone.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Hakkesshu posted:

Goons can get overly aggressive about Bethesda games, but there's nothing weird about pointing out how hosed up and poorly designed that game is in hindsight

Part of why I'm enjoying Fallout 4 as much as I am is that it seems like they learned from a lot of Fallout 3's mistakes. Boston isn't full of foot high rubble you can't jump over and quest destinations you can only access by running through two (poorly indicated) subway tunnels on the way, for example.

If Fallout 4's dialogue were overhauled to be more clear (the choice to do the shorthand stuff is a poor one in the context of a game this size, because it's inevitable that many of the choices are going to end up being confusing and unclear) and better implement Charisma and maybe other kinds of SPECIAL checks it would easily be my favorite of the 3D Fallouts. People give New Vegas a lot of leeway for bad gameplay and system instability (much of which is copy-pasted from Fallout 3) because of a story and characters that aren't particularly special or interesting.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Is the Void the one that's almost entirely about colored orbs? Nick did a livestream of it at some point and I couldn't play due to my stupid eyes.

Also: In your face Viv, I'm really enjoying Fallout 4.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Can someone roast me for one of my controversial video game opinions? I know this wasn't Gary's intent but I'm jealous of all the attention he's getting :colbert:

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
You don't even like animes and yet you review them anyway how's that ethics.

https://vine.co/v/eI259eeVEw3

:colbert:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Anime isn't real, Bob. You'll never be as strong as Goku.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

bobservo posted:

Can someone roast me for one of my controversial video game opinions? I know this wasn't Gary's intent but I'm jealous of all the attention he's getting :colbert:

Kinda hard to roast you for just one of your bad opinions.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

bobservo posted:

Yoshi's Woolly World is at least a 4/5 you piece of poo poo

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

bobservo posted:

Well what are they? If you were to say, for example, Super Mario World (or Super Mario World 2) is a bad game, I'll be happy to get outraged. I can only assume that isn't true though because what type of loser doesn't like Super Mario World?

Despite Gary apparently being hilariously bad at dodging white dots arranged in simplistic patterns, he (and Kole) get a lifetime pass from me for I swear being the only Dark Souls fans besides me that think Dark Souls 2 is actually a really good game. It will never cease to amaze me just how many people think some random elevator connection is a game ruining atrocity that shall never be forgiven or ignored.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Austin Walker of Giant Bomb prefers Dark Souls 2 over 1 (because he prefers games that are different, and DS1 was too similar to Demon Souls in comparison)

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

So It Goes posted:

Well what are they? If you were to say, for example, Super Mario World (or Super Mario World 2) is a bad game, I'll be happy to get outraged. I can only assume that isn't true though because what type of loser doesn't like Super Mario World?

Despite Gary apparently being hilariously bad at dodging white dots arranged in simplistic patterns, he (and Kole) get a lifetime pass from me for I swear being the only Dark Souls fans besides me that think Dark Souls 2 is actually a really good game. It will never cease to amaze me just how many people think some random elevator connection is a game ruining atrocity that shall never be forgiven or ignored.

Dark Souls 2 is one of those games where people were legit angry that it was "just" a great game, instead of a magical wonder factory that took you away to a land of happiness.

The worst part was when some dude interviewed Miyazaki and confused him with statements about how Dark Souls 3 needed to have "That Miyazaki Touch"

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Dark Souls 2 is one of those games where people were legit angry that it was "just" a great game, instead of a magical wonder factory that took you away to a land of happiness.

The worst part was when some dude interviewed Miyazaki and confused him with statements about how Dark Souls 3 needed to have "That Miyazaki Touch"

The "Miyazaki Touch" stuff is such utter, reductive nonsense. Bloodborne is missing TONS of what made Dark Souls 1 so special and Miyazaki was at the helm. Game production is too complicated for people to really understand. It's weirdly incomprehensible for some people that things they liked in a game might have been the product of an entire team or of someone they've never heard of.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

bobservo posted:

As a mostly-unironic Kingdom Hearts fan we will someday have to have words. I will passive-aggressively buy you a pint of Shock Top and lay into you.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Ash Lake is basically just the end of Kingdom Hearts 1. *drops mic*

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

I say this like there is a person on earth that this statement will drive into an apoplectic rage.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Oh, that's a Dark Souls thing. Nah, I get that kinda criticism, the "lore" of KH is super generic. My fiancée was trying to explain WoW lore to me once and all I could think was "this is Birth by Sleep, that's the one who goes evil, and that's the one who conveniently vanishes, and..."

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Ansem is _____

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

END ME SCOOB posted:

Oh, that's a Dark Souls thing. Nah, I get that kinda criticism, the "lore" of KH is super generic. My fiancée was trying to explain WoW lore to me once and all I could think was "this is Birth by Sleep, that's the one who goes evil, and that's the one who conveniently vanishes, and..."

Kingdom Hearts came before Dark Souls though.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
In the history of dumb anime games Kingdom Hearts is quite possibly the single dumbest franchise of all and I appreciate that about it.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

bobservo posted:

So what are your most controversial gaming opinions? :munch:

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

I barely even drink a lot

bobservo posted:

I'm going through Retronauts Live and I agree that Beau Bridges' character in The Wizard was violent and an awful parent

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Woffle posted:

Bloodborne is missing TONS of what made Dark Souls 1 so special

you just don't quit these days DO YOU

FuriousGeorge posted:

So what are your most controversial gaming opinions? :munch:

can everybody do this or just bob?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

My most controversial opinion is that Bloodborne is better than Dark Souls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Dark souls 2 was worse than 1 because it wasn't your first time playing a souls game (demon souls is for loser nerds)

• Locked thread