Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Paul Ryan is also a randian obsessed with eliminating parasites (like hungry elementary school children) despite going to college using social security survivor payments and spending nearly the entirety of his adult life working in the same government he wants to destroy. His family's lucrative construction business largely serves government contracts. He has spent his life suckling at society's breast and now wants to make sure no one else can have any.

His "wonkishness" is a media fiction, he's as dense and boorish as any self-obsessed libertarian. His math was made up and didn't withstand the most casual of scrutiny. His "favorite band" are staunch anti-fascists whose politics are diametrically opposed to his but he was too much of a knob to pay attention to the lyrics.

loving bicep curls.

moller fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Nov 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Biden destroying Paul Ryan in the debates was a thing of beauty.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
'A bunch of stuff'.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

moller posted:

loving bicep curls.

Concentration curls! done poorly :eng101:

It's how you know he's SERIOUS about starving grannies and curling in the squat rack

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Wally Joyner posted:

North Minneapolis has been plagued for years by severe inequality, and this isn't the first time charges of brutality or racism were made toward the MPD. I believe Harteau made the push for body-cameras (against the Police union) and increasing the relationship with the community, so it will be interesting to see how the investigation is handled.

MPR reported that they've asked for the MN Bureau of Criminal Apprehension to do the investigation and they're holding a community meeting at the Urban League to talk about it with residents, so at least they're taking some correct steps.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

moller posted:

Paul Ryan is also a randian obsessed with eliminating parasites (like hungry elementary school children) despite going to college using social security survivor payments and spending nearly the entirety of his adult life working in the same government he wants to destroy. His family's lucrative construction business largely serves government contracts. He has spent his life suckling at society's breast and now wants to make sure no one else can have any.

His "wonkishness" is a media fiction, he's as dense and boorish as any self-obsessed libertarian. His math was made up and didn't withstand the most casual of scrutiny. His "favorite band" are staunch anti-fascists whose politics are diametrically opposed to his but he was too much of a knob to pay attention to the lyrics.

loving bicep curls.

"The debt just keeps going up, UP, UP! Now here's how (read: by privatizing/eliminating social security and public healthcare) I'll literally cut all government expenditures to zero! :shepface:"

[e]: Basically this:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Nov 16, 2015

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

"The debt just keeps going up, UP, UP! Now here's how (read: by privatizing/eliminating social security and public healthcare) I'll literally cut all government expenditures to zero! :shepface:"

always makes me think of this

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
What I love is how, in Paul Ryan's view, reaching 90% of debt:GDP will grind the economy to a halt and stagnation while dramatically cutting the debt:GDP to 20% would boost the economy instead of... you know, severely loving up the economy. Food stamps tend to be one of the biggest drivers/most efficient returns on economic growth while upper percentile tax cuts tend to have a negative return on economic growth.

Even in Econ 101/102, one of the most basic formulas you learn is C+I+G+Net Ex = GDP. C being consumer spending, I being investment, G being government expenditure, and Net Ex being net exports (exports - imports). Severely cutting government expenditures tends to, uh, hurt GDP. But nothing like a little willful ignorance will help that!

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

What I love is how, in Paul Ryan's view, reaching 90% of debt:GDP will grind the economy to a halt and stagnation while dramatically cutting the debt:GDP to 20% would boost the economy instead of... you know, severely loving up the economy. Food stamps tend to be one of the biggest drivers/most efficient returns on economic growth while upper percentile tax cuts tend to have a negative return on economic growth.

Even in Econ 101/102, one of the most basic formulas you learn is C+I+G+Net Ex = GDP. C being consumer spending, I being investment, G being government expenditure, and Net Ex being net exports (exports - imports). Severely cutting government expenditures tends to, uh, hurt GDP. But nothing like a little willful ignorance will help that!

Laffer curve! Low inflation! Trickle down! Job creators! Austerity!

The western political economy has been captured by charlatans who tell political leaders what they want to hear, and what they want to hear is morality tales on the evils of spending beyond your means and the benefits of flagellation.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Apparently I am going to meet O'Malley Thursday night. What should I ask him?

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Why?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

GalacticAcid posted:

If he has stairs in his house, of course.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

GalacticAcid posted:

Also, be sure to mention Tommy Carcetti to him. I'm sure he never get's tired of the similarities.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

I received an email about the event while in the throes of a deep alcoholic bender so I sent the $25 contribution.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Nice.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Thump! posted:

Also, be sure to mention Tommy Carcetti to him. I'm sure he never get's tired of the similarities.

"Former Governor O'Malley, could you explain what factors led you to abandon your tough-on-blacks policy record?"

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

gradenko_2000 posted:

This. Also, ask what possessed him to endorse something with such horrible optics as the "Rain Tax."

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Ask him Treasury or State?

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Ask him what his sex number is

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

GalacticAcid posted:

Ask him about the War of 1812. He's a reenactor and knows a lot about it. You'll learn something interesting from the answer, unlike if you ask him what he'd do if he becomes President, since that'll never happen.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Joementum posted:

Ask him about the War of 1812. He's a reenactor and knows a lot about it. You'll learn something interesting from the answer, unlike if you ask him what he'd do if he becomes President, since that'll never happen.

I forgot that was him. Doesn't he have those pictures of him in uniform on a horse?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Joementum posted:

Never say never, Sanders and Clinton could die in a freak gasoline fight accident.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

WampaLord posted:

Never say never, Sanders and Clinton could die in a freak gasoline fight accident.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/Police-Man-soaks-stranger-at-Federal-Way-gas-6616038.php

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

the_paradigm_shift posted:

I forgot that was him. Doesn't he have those pictures of him in uniform on a horse?

Yeah, it's actually kinda cool :shrug:

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Thump! posted:

- Shots from the set of "Washington" starring Kevin Spacey.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Thump! posted:

If he started showing up to the debates dressed like that his campaign might start gaining some traction.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

smg77 posted:

If he started showing up to the debates dressed like that his campaign might start gaining some traction.

I don't know, it didn't work for Sky Marshal Bachmann.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Probably for every one touching tribute is ten of these

quote:

"Dallas is not going to be Paris,” he said. “We are not going to have an environment where people can murder 150-plus people because the public is not armed.

“We want the criminals to know that the public is armed and will take care of themselves."

At least Alabama is taking the right lessons from this.

quote:

“After full consideration of this weekend’s attacks of terror on innocent citizens in Paris, I will oppose any attempt to relocate Syrian refugees to Alabama through the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program. As your governor, I will not stand complicit to a policy that places the citizens of Alabama in harm’s way,” Bentley said.

“I will not place Alabamians at even the slightest, possible risk of an attack on our people,” Bentley continued. “Please continue to join me in praying for those who have suffered loss and for those who will never allow freedom to fade at the hands of terrorists.”

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Nov 16, 2015

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Robert Bentley(Alabama governor) just went through a messy divorce where everyone knows he had an affair with his highest paid political consultant, and his strategy of simply hiding from the media completely worked, as they got bored and moved on to other stories.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

zoux posted:

Probably for every one touching tribute is ten of these

At least Alabama is taking the right lessons from this.

Because if it's one thing Alabama doesn't like, it's relocating immigrants from formerly hostile nations who given any other circumstances would likely have been tried for war crimes.

Wait...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redstone_Arsenal#Huntsville_Arsenal

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

moller posted:

loving bicep curls.

:goonsay:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Talmonis posted:

This. Also, ask what possessed him to endorse something with such horrible optics as the "Rain Tax."

"Rain Tax" was a Republican rebranding like "Death Tax" so people wouldn't associate it with Chesapeake Bay cleanup.

And it worked. :(

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

After The War posted:

"Rain Tax" was a Republican rebranding like "Death Tax" so people wouldn't associate it with Chesapeake Bay cleanup.

And it worked. :(

When they signed the tax into law that day Martin O Malley was waiting in Chesapeake bay. How did they know that the plan would work? They had a spy on the inside, that's right! loving Republicans!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

greatn posted:

When they signed the tax into law that day Martin O Malley was waiting in Chesapeake bay. How did they know that the plan would work? They had a spy on the inside, that's right! loving Republicans!

Sure as hell wasn't Hogan.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
Speaking of Alabama's refusal to take in Refugee's in fear of future attacks, I never got a good response to this line of inquiry in the French attack thread before it closed. For context, keep in mind that folks prior were advocating mass immigration to europe as a good thing (not just of refugees) to solve the problem of Islamist terrorism.

Pohl posted:

Boston bombings come to mind. I wouldn't call it major, but it is an example of the types of attacks that I'm surprised don't happen more often.

Why hijack a plane when a bus full of people are literally sitting ducks -- with no security to speak of.
I really really hope these types of attacks don't spread because they would be easy as hell to pull off.

Talmonis posted:

If and when they do, what is the solution according to those who want Europe and the U.S. to take any and all immigrants, regardless of skillset or employment prospects?

I'm entirely serious btw. Why should the people who live in Europe trust people who are associated unfairly or not, with terrorists? Especially if this sort of thing keeps happening.

I'm just not seeing a clean solution.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh before we have a multi page thing about how racist and dumb the south is: Michigan is doing it too.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

zoux posted:

Oh before we have a multi page thing about how racist and dumb the south is: Michigan is doing it too.

Michigan outside of Detroit and Ann Arbor basically is the south.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Cool we'll just talk about Republicans being dumb and racist.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Our Team would never do anything like that. Go Team!

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Litany Unheard posted:

Cool we'll just talk about Republicans being dumb and racist.

Is this not US Pol?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
Does anyone else honestly go "yes, go team" when someone says that? I mean, politics are inherently tribal, so why the hell shouldn't I root for the good guys? People would be a lot more invested in the welfare of our government if people didn't constantly roll their eyes and moan about every little bullshit stunt. Imagine if the federal government could draw a crowd like John Cena :allears:

e: And what's more, so many of us are/were SAS regulars (luigithirty, otf, so on)... I revel in the fact that the Democrats are unequivocally the less morally dubious faction. Damning with faint praise, I know, but hey! You gotta start somewhere.

MODS CURE JOKES fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Nov 16, 2015

• Locked thread