Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

This research gives me the heebie-jeebies. "Okay, first thing I would like you to do, Robot, is stand still while I cut away half of your chest."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It may just be a new hairstyle not a haircut. Troubling if true.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
How will the seraph bots respond to this.

I'm talking about the hair obviously. They liked her old style.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I am not sure their hairstyle algorithms will be sensitive enough to tell if her new hairstyle is in universe or just the slight change in Tom's artstyle. Most concerning

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Bah to all this haircut/hairstyle discussion. You're all missing the important detail here:

PAZ IN A LAAAB COOOOAT

soooo cuuuute

dies

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

It may just be a new hairstyle not a haircut. Troubling if true.

No sir, I don't like it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Science girlfriends best girlfriends.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Gunnerkrigg Court, the best comic about women's hairstyles.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Potato Salad posted:

This research gives me the heebie-jeebies. "Okay, first thing I would like you to do, Robot, is stand still while I cut away half of your chest."

Meh, it's just a hardware change, the underlying software was still intact. It's not like Robot was deactivated or anything while Kat was bisecting him.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
I too am overjoyed by Paz's new haircut...

but am I the only one who gets chills whenever Robot is on-screen after his last few appearances?

He's... not right in the robohead... :smith:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

life_source posted:

but am I the only one who gets chills whenever Robot is on-screen after his last few appearances?

He's... not right in the robohead... :smith:

It was worth it.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Potato Salad posted:

I don't think robots think of "themselves" as "the robot bits". Like that's why growing a biological body is significant in the first place. A robot's self exists inside those little chippy things, the rest is paperclips.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

SHISHKABOB posted:

I don't think robots think of "themselves" as "the robot bits". Like that's why growing a biological body is significant in the first place. A robot's self exists inside those little chippy things, the rest is paperclips.

Yeah Robot's been through like 4 bodies and a bunch of repairs and I think his only concern has been how sweet his parkour is.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
One of the themes that periodically recurs in Gunnerkrigg could be summarized as "your parents aren't as dumb as you think they are". Robot's attitude may be an instance of that. He was disassembled and paperclipped for a reason; we're inclined the think it was a terrible reason because of how nice he is, but we're gradually starting to understand why it was done. (Even if we might still disagree.)

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Blackheart posted:

No sir, I don't like it.

I think we can agree the guy who asked Tom about Tony being right hosed right up by wasting his question on that instead of this. Seriously dude, you made a dogs dinner of the whole thing.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

idonotlikepeas posted:

One of the themes that periodically recurs in Gunnerkrigg could be summarized as "your parents aren't as dumb as you think they are"
I'm pretty sure the theme of the Tony arc was "your parents aren't as smart as you think they are"

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's both. Your parents are more human than you think they are. (Even the ones that aren't human)

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Isn't the human response not to destroy the nice robot, though

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
So, binary nerve impulses.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

One thing that makes Robot's culty stuff so especially creepy is the fact that Kat seems to be entirely unaware of it, or at least unaware of its tone and magnitude. That means he's able to keep a lid on it when he's around her and Annie, like we see here. So does he know that it's inappropriate? Is his behavior purposefully deceptive? If so, which parts?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Considering how he manipulated the Seraphs and the boat in order to motivate Kat, and considers it "worth it", I'd say that yeah, Robot knows exactly how innapropriate his actions would be perceived. It's probably just that he doesn't care about that if it's to get what he thinks his people deserves.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Robot is a bad friend. :(

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Robot is very concious of the fact that Kat might freak if she figures out the truth. He's also very religious about robot evolution and is able to use his status as guinea pig to convince other robots he's a prophet. That's why he tries to nudge her towards the work while not actively telling her why it's important. To Kat it's just a science project where she's making more efficient robots because it's cool. To robot she's bestowing the soul upon robot kind.

It's probable this evolution has been going on long before Kat came into the picture though. There was a bonus page once about how humans should reject robolove so they've been picking up human traits for a while.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Demiurge4 posted:

Robot is very concious of the fact that Kat might freak if she figures out the truth. He's also very religious about robot evolution and is able to use his status as guinea pig to convince other robots he's a prophet. That's why he tries to nudge her towards the work while not actively telling her why it's important. To Kat it's just a science project where she's making more efficient robots because it's cool. To robot she's bestowing the soul upon robot kind.

It's probable this evolution has been going on long before Kat came into the picture though. There was a bonus page once about how humans should reject robolove so they've been picking up human traits for a while.

According to this page Robot has "long since predicted the coming of an angel". A few pages before suggests that spreading this rumor was why he was in pieces in a box back in chapter 1.

I don't think Robot has been manipulating Kat at all--the two points of inspiration were seeing the broken bird wing and Annie putting the idea in her head, neither of which Robot had anything to do with. She's just doing all this stuff which lines up with a prophecy he's been preaching since some unknown time before the comic even began. Which raises the question, where did the prophecy come from?

Considering that the Court is "mankind's endeavor to become god", it's very possible that someone from the Court planted this legend among the robots in order to facilitate the apotheosis of one of their own.

Interestingly, unless Jones has told anyone else in the Court about "Coyote's great secret", she's the only one who we know could be aware that could work. But it doesn't exactly seem like something she'd do.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

You don't consider the whaleship incident manipulation?

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Well remember the way cosmology works in the comic. Mythic beings can predate their own creation because of etheric tomfoolery. It could be that this angel has always existed in same way.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Lurdiak posted:

I'd say it's partly robot manipulating events, partly cosmic predestination. The angel would not exist without robot's interference, but because of robot's interference the angel does exist and has always existed.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
I was reading some old chapters, and I came across this in that weird subplot where Kat has a crush on a bird guy:

"My parents took some kind of test. And when they passed they were given new bodies."

So they became birds, and on the next page he says they're off to live in the forest. "That sounds familiar," says Tom. Has there been any other mention of humans becoming forest creatures, or is this just a vestige from an eight-year-old part of the story? It's been a while since I read the whole shebang.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

you were warned posted:

I was reading some old chapters, and I came across this in that weird subplot where Kat has a crush on a bird guy:

"My parents took some kind of test. And when they passed they were given new bodies."

So they became birds, and on the next page he says they're off to live in the forest. "That sounds familiar," says Tom. Has there been any other mention of humans becoming forest creatures, or is this just a vestige from an eight-year-old part of the story? It's been a while since I read the whole shebang.

Red and whats-her-face with the blue hair had to pass a test to come to the Court as well. Specifically, they had to give up their fairy-bodies, which at that time meant they had to die.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

Hremsfeld posted:

Red and whats-her-face with the blue hair had to pass a test to come to the Court as well. Specifically, they had to give up their fairy-bodies, which at that time meant they had to die.

Yeah, and they had that whole class full of humans who were originally fairies or animals. (I wonder if animals ever have to pass some kind of test? Bunnyboy seemed to just, uh, be put into a totem.) I can't remember it ever going the other way, though--humans becoming animals and going to the forest.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

you were warned posted:

Yeah, and they had that whole class full of humans who were originally fairies or animals. (I wonder if animals ever have to pass some kind of test? Bunnyboy seemed to just, uh, be put into a totem.) I can't remember it ever going the other way, though--humans becoming animals and going to the forest.

No, but that's what Tom's referring to (and also Annie's reaction), to the fairies.

She heard about the test to get new bodies from the fairies, and now she's heard about it again, but in the other direction. That's all.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

you were warned posted:

I know it's been mentioned again since then, but I think Alistair and his family are still the only example we've seen of someone giving up their humanity to live in the woods.

Lurdiak posted:

I'll be honest, I stopped reading for a while about halfway through that chapter. It flows a little better now that I can read it in one sitting, but it's still kind of weird tonally.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret
So many graves...

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

So many graves...
It was worth it.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Carrasco posted:

I know it's been mentioned again since then, but I think Alistair and his family are still the only example we've seen of someone giving up their humanity to live in the woods.

The only specific example, but Coyote talks about the general practice.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Ali was cool, bring him back

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Luneshot posted:

He's just always missing seeing Kat by like a second.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Panel 4 is good. It illustrates the pressures of running a robot cult well.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

Oh, cool, thanks! I'd wondered how the relationship between the Court and the forest would factor in. Makes sense that Ysengrin would be the one who limited it to only humans who gave up their bodies first (and hate the fact that some forest creatures leave).

Luneshot posted:

I love the last panel of that chapter: "And she never saw him again." Very tidily wrapping up that storyline!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Are you feeling OK Tom? :ohdear: