Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Do The Evolution
Aug 5, 2013

but why

a good dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
paint your poo poo you look like a goddamn hobo

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

The minuteman paintjob is freeeee

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Dead Reckoning posted:

Aw man, is this is the game that's finally going to make me upgrade my CPU? I have an E8400 that's been clicking along since 2008, but it looks like it's barely at mins. You guys think I should I upgrade my MoBo while I'm at it?

I just spent ~5k or so on a whole new setup so don't look to me for good decisions

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I bought brand new everything last year for around $1500 (including 2 monitors) and am able to play Far Cry 4, Witcher 3, and FO4 on max settings. So if you're willing to drop about a grand you could probably get something pretty nice.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Yeah, this rig I have now is overkill

Every PC I ever had was just barely able to run new poo poo and I finally loving snapped with all the cool new games coming out. This thing should slaughter anything that comes out in the next half decade.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Dead Reckoning posted:

:shobon: I hadn't really been paying attention. I'd been able to keep up with most games via a new graphics card and RAM sticks until... well, now.

All I really ask. I'm not buying a new monitor, so being able to drive ridiculous 4k resolutions is wasted.

I'm not the kind of person who tries to spend other people's money, but if you don't have a SSD yet you really should get one of those, too. The 500GB Samsung Evo is the cheapest it's ever been at about 50 cents per GB. They've dropped about $25 in the last couple of weeks. I have a 128GB SSD that's just for Windows, and it boots up to the start screen in like 15 seconds.

Edit: I think I have a first-generation i7 (because 7 is better than 5! :downs: ) but the SSD is the only thing I'm changing soon; then will be a new graphics card to replace the GTX 570 which still holds it's own pretty well.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 16, 2015

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hell, the 250 GB EVOs are on sale like twice a month on Newegg for usually around $80. I just keep picking them up and adding them to my RAID.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
yeah, SSD's are amazing, just made the switch and it boots like a dream

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
SSDs are the single biggest improvement you can make to a PC, period.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.
I jumped on the Fallout 4 bandwagon a little bit late. Just spent two days downloading the game on my lovely connection and started playing a few minutes ago. First thing I did after starting the game was hop into the key config to start setting up my controls, since I use my mouse with my left hand and the default WASD just doesn't work well for me, only to find that they reserved the entire numpad and a whole lot of keys are hard coded so that even if you do change them you will still have to use the default key anyway in certain circumstances.

Pretty disappointing out of the gate, but I seem to remember Skyrim having similar issues when it came out. I'm hoping that a patch comes around to fix this, or more likely a mod. Until then I guess I'll just have to figure out some other configuration.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

I just spent ~5k or so on a whole new setup so don't look to me for good decisions

what the gently caress did you buy?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
SSDs are cool.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

what the gently caress did you buy?

An Alienware Area 51. I knew better and I did it anyway.

It's loving awesome.

e- i7-5930k, 32 gigs of DDR5, 256G/4T SSD and three GTX 970's

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 16, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
extremely enlisted

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
didn't get it on credit though lol

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
*STAR Card

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

VikingSkull posted:

It's loving awesome.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
To be honest, it's a really nice setup. Quiet as gently caress, no bloatware, stable temps, and was only like $300 more than the parts would have been anyway. With this much hardware on the line the warranty is a nice thing to have.

I think I can live with the stigma.

Fucker weighs like 60 pounds, though, and heats up a room fairly quick.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

VikingSkull posted:

Those are some impressive specs. So impressive I'd wager they are complete overkill.

But:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyihQtBes1I

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
it's gratuitous overkill, honestly

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

VikingSkull posted:

To be honest, it's a really nice setup. Quiet as gently caress, no bloatware, stable temps, and was only like $300 more than the parts would have been anyway. With this much hardware on the line the warranty is a nice thing to have.

I think I can live with the stigma.

Fucker weighs like 60 pounds, though, and heats up a room fairly quick.

Sometimes that poo poo is like 50% markup but I can appreciate saying "gently caress it" over a $300 difference

3x970s is a bit questionable though, wouldn't a single 980ti do better?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
1080p@240FPS

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The 970 isn't really that much worse from what I read, and in any case a single 970 is enough to kill anything today anyway.

I just spent the last 15 years upgrading poo poo every two years and got tired of it. I shouldn't have to touch this thing for years..... unless it breaks. It's a Dell, sooo....

Getting high and shooting ghouls in the face on this thing is medicinal grade therapy, it's great.

~350 in CS:GO lol

It's basically steroids in FPS games, tbh. Oh hey, I can see you long before you see me and I'm reacting faster, sorry bout that.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm pretty much never doing an SLI setup because of how it breaks in often hilarious and frustrating ways. It's light years better now than even 5 years ago, at least.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Vasudus posted:

I'm pretty much never doing an SLI setup because of how it breaks in often hilarious and frustrating ways. It's light years better now than even 5 years ago, at least.

Right, it's gotten a lot better but games still ship without SLI support or come with broken implementations. I sold my two GTX660s and said never again.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

Right, it's gotten a lot better but games still ship without SLI support or come with broken implementations. I sold my two GTX660s and said never again.

Fun fact: This thing shipped with out of date drivers and SLI disabled, so it's not just the games that ship like that, lol

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
Isn't Alienwares just Dell now?

You bought a £3500 Dell

That's like going to McDonald's and spending £50 on dinner

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

That's like going to McDonald's and spending £50 on dinner

I call that "Monday"

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

I call that "Monday"

I should have remembered what forum I was posting on.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I also drink Heineken

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I always buy computers that are going to have some staying power and be able to do whatever I need them too. I don't rally get the mindset of buying $500 computers every couple of years or so.

psydude posted:

Hell, the 250 GB EVOs are on sale like twice a month on Newegg for usually around $80. I just keep picking them up and adding them to my RAID.
Amazon put the 1tb ones on sale for around $300 towards the end of spring.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Well if you're happy with it dude. I just think there's a helluva diminishing return value on anything over like 1200 bucks.

Rather spend that and upgrade the video card every two years.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

holocaust bloopers posted:

Well if you're happy with it dude. I just think there's a helluva diminishing return value on anything over like 1200 bucks.

Rather spend that and upgrade the video card every two years.
I'm getting 4 years or so out of video cards which only cost $200 to $350 for any sane person anyway. The GTX 580 I had in there was pushing things a bit though.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Alright, I'm stuck on the word's most boring conference call so here's a bunch of poo poo:

SALVAGE/MODDING

You can get a near unlimited amount of adhesive by using a cooking station. You need corn, mutfruit, tatos and purified water. Buy a bunch from a vendor for cheap (or get them from Greygarden or similar), plant them, harvest them a few times and you'll be swimming in the stuff.

Items to pay particular attention to: Fans (Screws), anything with Aluminum (cans, containers), coffee cups (Ceramics). You need screws and aluminum for everything mods related, and you need aluminum and ceramic for fixing up your X-01 Power Armor. Alarm Clocks are pro tier because they have lots of everything.

Scrapper is very much worthwhile if you can get it. Modding poo poo gets very expensive, components wise.

Always disassemble your junk in workshop mode. Yes, that means going to an empty flat spot and dumping all your poo poo and manually disassembling them. Currently, if you use say, a watch (springs, gears, steel) to directly assemble something that needs just a spring, you will lose the other components. This is probably going to be fixed in a patch.

There's a minimum cost to repairing Power Armor. If you're OCD like me and hate seeing 99/100%, this will get very expensive. Generic T45 armor uses pure steel (easy) but stuff like X-01 uses steel, aluminum, ceramics and circuitry. I try not to repair things until it's under 50% because of this.

Generally speaking, Deep Pockets will grant you more overall carrying capacity, costs less, and is available earlier than the ultralight mod. The only reason to get the ultralight mods is that you want the AP bonus.

In most situations, an undersuit + armor components will provide better protection than a single suit of armor. Exceptions exist. The vault suit is very good when fully upgraded.

POWER ARMOR

There are very few fixed spawns for Power Armor. The frame will always be there, but the type of the armor and the amount of armor pieces will be determined by your level. Exceptions exist, of course, but beware guides that say "here's a full set of T60" that turn out to be a frame + T45 torso/left leg because you're level 9.

If you want to get someone out of a suit of Power Armor, you can shoot their fusion core out. Usually one or two direct hits in VATS will cause the core to overheat. The pilot will run around venting for about 5 seconds, then eject the core like a hot potato. It will then explode (bit more powerful than a grenade) and force the pilot out. You can then kill them way easier, and have a suit of mostly intact Power Armor. I like collecting suits.

Fusion Cores sell for the same amount regardless of charge. If you're OCD like me and hate starting an expedition at like 36% charge, you can just sell it for full cap value.

You can find more Fusion Cores if you take the Scavenger perk, since they count as Ammo. I think this will be fixed in a patch, but I've gotten 3-4 cores in an ammo can sometimes ever since I took Scavenger 3.

COMPANIONS

Melee Weapons that cause bleeding are fantastic for companions if your ~roleplaying experience~ isn't compromised by that.

You can upgrade your companions default armor at the workbench, and it can get very good.

Nick can hack terminals and Cait can lockpick. The level in which they can do this is dependent on your level - so no getting in to expert terminals/locks before you're supposed to, sorry. Neither of which can do Master level things, but those are rare and there's probably an alternate way to get in there anyway.

Companions can wear Power Armor and do not drain the core when they do so. I like to have Piper fetch the extra suits that I collect. You can get them to leave the suit by talking to them.

PERKS

Life Giver is pretty meh. The regen for rank 3 doesn't work in combat, and the bonus to health isn't very useful past like level 20.

There's no point in getting the final rank of Hacking, but the final rank for Lockpicking is great.

Always get the modding perks for whatever weapons/armor you use the moment they become available. Fresh mods are amazing.

The Lone Wanderer perk may or may not work with the Dog. I don't think anybody knows for certain if it's a bug. I would not invest points into it on the assumption that Bethesda will not just patch it, especially if you're not on PC and can't use the console.

COMBAT

Cripple. The. Legs. So many horrible things are less dangerous because they can't hobble over to get you.

The Missile Launcher is very meh unless you're heavy into explosives, at which point it's amazing.

Always try to have an "okay, time to die" weapon. I somehow found a plasma rifle super early and only had like 30 rounds for it for like 10 levels. It was for "no, gently caress YOU" situations. The Fat Man is very good for this but is very heavy, and also unusable indoors.

If there's a ghoul body on the ground and it doesn't have a loot prompt, please shoot it. It's probably still alive and waiting to ambush you.

There's several Hazmat suits in the game, they make you immune to radiation and radiation based weapons.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Do you resell or keep em? I flip old video cards.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I've kept them for backups, and I don't think I'm going to get anything for a 260 or 580.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

I have a 9800GT running physx.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.

Casimir Radon posted:

I've kept them for bitcoin

ps good post vas

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

It's loving awesome.

you went full retard

• Locked thread