Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Kafka Esq. posted:

Gyro supremacy.

This.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

PT6A posted:

Is it still good? I was only there once since it changed ownership, it seemed mostly the same.

Man, that poo poo tasted good. I miss it.

Yeah still as good as it's ever been.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
poo poo, I live in Vancouver and all the shawarma I've ever had here was with lettuce and stuff :<

ignorance is still delicious...

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Hi,

quote:

Selon le chef du parti québécois, Pierre Karl Péladeau, « l'évènement amène pourtant à réfléchir davantage sur l'ouverture à avoir à l'endroit de la diversité. »

quote:

According to PQ leader PKP, "the events bring us to think further on the kind of openness we want to have towards diversity."

xoxo

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

What horrible shawarma shops are y'all using that don't give you the option of toppings?

(Hummus, garlic puree, lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles, and sweet sauce; this is a properly hearty shawarma, though these days mine have falafel instead of chicken or spitted meat product)

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Why do media companies ever bother talking about e-petitions? Does anyone still harbor there delusion that they mean anything?

Mahler
Oct 30, 2008

Best shawarma in Ottawa is Shawarma Palace on Rideau street. The amount of food you get is insane.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Sedge and Bee posted:

Why do media companies ever bother talking about e-petitions? Does anyone still harbor there delusion that they mean anything?

Well they worked so well under the Harper government!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Tonight I found out my father-in-law wants Trump to be President. It's no surprise, because he works in oil and was rooting for Keystone, but it is disappointing.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

A donair a day keeps the doctor away.

Sir Gladu
Nov 26, 2008

Every time I think I could not be more depressed about Quebec politics, there's something more.
I didn't have a lot of faith in PKP, but gently caress man.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

The Butcher posted:

Fun Ottawa story, many years back I was there drunk as gently caress wandering the streets during the big blackout, and desiring food greatly. Nothing was open. Every store was black. I wandered and wandered, stomach growling, until finally the candle lit store front of the SHAWARMA KING appeared. Their grill was all gas powered, they took cash, and the meats were hot.

That was the best shawarma of my life.

For all of you non-Ottawa goons we take our Lebanese food seriously

I miss the Garlic Corner with their 2 beers for $5 and horribly translated signs.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Jordan7hm posted:

Montreal doesn't have poo poo on Ottawa sorry. It's the only good local food we have.

Ottawa also has some p decent poutine and montreal style bagels though

I still wish I hadn't lived there for 5 years but hey

Mahler
Oct 30, 2008

Arabian Jesus posted:

I miss the Garlic Corner with their 2 beers for $5 and horribly translated signs.

REALLY was good stuff, when it was a hole in the wall in Orleans. As you can see from that picture, something when terribly wrong (the owner's ego exploded).

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
None here in Lethbridge but I like the one on 17 Ave NW(?) in Calgary. I am a shwarma noob though but every time I'm up in Calgary I try to go there.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

bunnyofdoom posted:

I love my job.

These are really funny, can you post some more?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Excelsiortothemax posted:

None here in Lethbridge but I like the one on 17 Ave NW(?) in Calgary. I am a shwarma noob though but every time I'm up in Calgary I try to go there.

If it's Shawarma Palace in the little pinkish box building, that's 17th Ave SE. If it's not, go to Shawarma Palace on 17th Ave SE because it's the best in the city. I live less than a 10 minute walk from there and it's open until 4 am so it's the best option I could ever ask for when it comes to drunk food.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Alctel posted:

Ottawa also has some p decent poutine and montreal style bagels though

I still wish I hadn't lived there for 5 years but hey

Eh, Ottawa poutine is ok but you can get better in random towns in Quebec.

Ottawa is good for families and being a public servant, so there's that to hang our hats on. Woohoo.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
We only have one shawarma place here in Saint John. Not bad once in awhile. But since I am a maritimer it's really hard to get ethnic food here.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Arabian Jesus posted:

I'm happy this yahoo came along because now I don't have to spend time imagining what Russel Oliver would look like if he were a Lebanese chef.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Stretch Marx posted:

We only have one shawarma place here in Saint John. Not bad once in awhile. But since I am a maritimer it's really hard to get ethnic food here.
In my experience the problem is the Maritimes has an aggressive but inferior native species that drives good shwarma out, and that is The Donair.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Mahler posted:

Best shawarma in Ottawa is Shawarma Palace on Rideau street. The amount of food you get is insane.

On the Vanier bridge side just past that African place? If I'm walking all the way down there I want some assurances on this.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Kenny Logins posted:

In my experience the problem is the Maritimes has an aggressive but inferior native species that drives good shwarma out, and that is The Donair.

Enh... Honestly here in my city at least donairs aren't even that super popular. We have a couple of Thai places which aren't bad. A lot of Greek though.

Mahler
Oct 30, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

On the Vanier bridge side just past that African place? If I'm walking all the way down there I want some assurances on this.

Yasss! It has little lite-up black and white column things. Get the platter and prepare to be buried under a pile of food.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Stretch Marx posted:

Enh... Honestly here in my city at least donairs aren't even that super popular. We have a couple of Thai places which aren't bad. A lot of Greek though.

Last time I was in Charlottetown I ordered some pizza from the 'best' place in town. I asked for some garlic sauce, but all they serve is donair sauce. Whatever, I got the donair sauce. I then learned that donair sauce is apparently jizz supplemented with a poo poo ton of sugar to produce some grainy, horrible, pale goo. Why would you put that on food??

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Trees and Squids posted:

Last time I was in Charlottetown I ordered some pizza from the 'best' place in town. I asked for some garlic sauce, but all they serve is donair sauce. Whatever, I got the donair sauce. I then learned that donair sauce is apparently jizz supplemented with a poo poo ton of sugar to produce some grainy, horrible, pale goo. Why would you put that on food??

wait waht? donair sauce on pizza?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

flakeloaf posted:

Yeah, between Chapel and Augusta.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

jsoh posted:

wait waht? donair sauce on pizza?

Horrifying, I know. Yeah that gets more prevalent the closer you get to Halifax. I've personally never been a fan of donairs in general.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Thanks for making my lunch decision for me thread. I was trying to make healthier, less meat heavy choices but now that's basically impossible with the craving I'm having. Hello local shawarma place.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Stretch Marx posted:

Last time I was in SJ on business and the only place I had the time/opportunity to eat was Mother Nature's in Brunswick Square. It was really quite good for that kind of thing.

All the other places I looked up near the Delta seemed pretty expensive for what they were so I just ate cheap Delta lounge grub.

Anyway, donairs are definitely a bit more popular as you get closer to Halifax, but they're on the downswing. The problem is that many middle-aged-and-older Maritimers seem to think donairs (bad) are representative of literally any other vaguely similar (but good) kind of dish like shwarma or gyros, which makes it hard for good providers to survive and get a footing.

I hate the donair so much for so many reasons.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Kenny Logins posted:

Last time I was in SJ on business and the only place I had the time/opportunity to eat was Mother Nature's in Brunswick Square. It was really quite good for that kind of thing.

All the other places I looked up near the Delta seemed pretty expensive for what they were so I just ate cheap Delta lounge grub.

Anyway, donairs are definitely a bit more popular as you get closer to Halifax, but they're on the downswing. The problem is that many middle-aged-and-older Maritimers seem to think donairs (bad) are representative of literally any other vaguely similar (but good) kind of dish like shwarma or gyros, which makes it hard for good providers to survive and get a footing.

I hate the donair so much for so many reasons.

Mother Natures is pretty good. Too bad you didn't arrive recently as a bbq place opened up. They were out in the sticks and this is their first shop in town. loving amazing brisket and pulled pork. They make their own sauces with their local being blueberry based. Really good. The Kingston Farmer's Market out here randomly has Thai and Indian immigrants come by in the summer and set up good eats, but most aren't in the city. Part of the reason I'm starting my indoor farm is to eventually start growing crops that we simply pay out of the nose here for due to our physical location to hopefully stimulate more restaurants.

Uptown now has Thai Pho which is pretty good and Taste of Egypt which I haven't had the opportunity to try yet. We're slowly coming around, but I think that's mostly because of:

A: The older, stubborn generation you're referring to is dying and being replaced by me and my generation who actually want to try new food.

B: More immigrants are arriving in this area which we desperately need. Our population is dwindling and we need new blood. Luckily some of the newer arrivals are bringing their food with them.

Stretch Marx fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 16, 2015

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I was wrong earlier about the Sunday Edition discussing the goal of anti-Islamic backlash in the west. Here it is on the 180:

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/the180/pari...iment-1.3319618

quote:

When ISIS launches attacks like the one we've just seen in Paris, what are they trying to accomplish?

I think what ISIS wants to do is provoke a right-wing backlash against refugees and immigrant communities that come from Islamic countries, because that conflict gives credence to their world view that there is a war between the West and Islam. This Islamophobic backlash that we see happening is exactly what they want. They think that this will on the one hand, drive Europeans towards that right-wing point, and on the other hand, drive those communities towards them.

How would that work? How would a public backlash against refugees and Muslim communities in Europe affect the ability of ISIS to recruit people and gain public support?

ISIS believes they've set up this Islamic utopia, but all these Muslims are fleeing that Islamic utopia -- so that's kind of embarrassing to them. So they think that by provoking this kind of backlash, maybe it will lead people to sympathize with them more. Because then these people that are being welcomed in Europe will think, well, actually maybe we're not being welcomed in Europe. Maybe ISIS' world view is right, that there is this fundamental difference between our world and the West.

It's been getting most of the coverage, but Paris was not the only target of a terrorist attack this past week. Forty-three people were killed in Beirut on Thursday, and ISIS is claiming responsibility for that as well. What do you think ISIS was trying to accomplish with the Beirut attack?

I actually spent a lot of my childhood in Beirut, so this issue is really close to my heart. I think that, basically, ISIS are operating under a similar logic everywhere, but in Beirut the circumstances are a bit different. You have about a million Syrian refugees in Beirut, and things are tense, but there is some kind of coexistence happening. What ISIS wants is to provoke Lebanese civilians...the sectarian warfare in Beirut is also in their interest and furthers their narrative, similar to what happened in Paris.

These attacks are operating under the same kind of logic and they're killing civilians in order to provoke backlash. They're killing civilians in order for communities to start fighting each other... We need to start seeing these as the same. ISIS is operating under the same logic everywhere, and we need solidarity with all of its victims, not some more than others.

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

Mahler posted:

spoken like someone who has never bothered to leave downtown

shawarma palace on bank & hunt club is #1

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
when weed????????

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Real question. Best pho in Ottawa? I like pho Bo GA but am willing to try new

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

Real question. Best pho in Ottawa? I like pho Bo GA but am willing to try new

One letter away from "poo".

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
There used to be a very good Vietnamese place across the street from me, but they went all hippie and socially-responsible and now everything there is vegan, and vegan pho can go gently caress itself. Need to find more good pho here.

We do have some superb banh mi, though.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

There's no sense asking for pho recommendations in Ottawa because every restaurant is called Pho Bo Ga La.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

PT6A posted:

There used to be a very good Vietnamese place across the street from me, but they went all hippie and socially-responsible and now everything there is vegan, and vegan pho can go gently caress itself. Need to find more good pho here.

We do have some superb banh mi, though.

haha what even is vegan pho? Like a bowl of water or?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Shwarma Khan in Winnipeg owns only because Obby Khan owns