Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

There's some really funny writing in FO4, like running into some raiders talking about a guy they tried to rob. He got away by throwing "grenades" that were just rocks and making machine gun noises with his mouth and then "driving" away on his "motorcycle."

There's a surprising amount of unique 'goon banter' for a number of locations. I don't remember previous Bethesda games having anything beyond generic dialogue for enemies before.

Hell, once an enemy losing interest in looking for me while stealthed kicked of a five-line conversation between her and another raider about one of them being too paranoid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I'm just glad that the dialogue from the raiders are voiced more naturally. There are a bunch of convincing deliveries in there, which is a wonderful departure from "You like the sight of yer own BLAHD?"

The raiders like to joke around sometimes, and it almost makes me feel bad I'm turning their heads into chunky salsa with my rocket-powered sledgehammer. Almost.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

pulp rag posted:

I'm just glad that the dialogue from the raiders are voiced more naturally. There are a bunch of convincing deliveries in there, which is a wonderful departure from "You like the sight of yer own BLAHD?"

The raiders like to joke around sometimes, and it almost makes me feel bad I'm turning their heads into chunky salsa with my rocket-powered sledgehammer. Almost.

I love it when video game enemies hit that sweet spot of being endearing but not enough to make you feel bad for killing them. The Space Pirates from Metroid Prime will always be the pinnacle of this.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

There's some really funny writing in FO4, like running into some raiders talking about a guy they tried to rob. He got away by throwing "grenades" that were just rocks and making machine gun noises with his mouth and then "driving" away on his "motorcycle."

Part of me hopes this guy is actually in the game because I would love to encounter that for myself. :3:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

FO4:

I always play these games as a sneaky thief type. Once running doesn't affect stealth, it becomes exceptionally easy.
One new thing I like is that enemies that see you but then lose track of you will fire a little bit into your last known location. Of course a paranoid raider would take probing shots into the woods. This is a very neat effect but imagine my surprise when one did it carrying a Fat Man :stare:

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
The enemies in FO4 also flank and suppress, cover each other and make pushes on locations too.

I was happily cleaning up a new settlement when gunfire and explosions kicked off a short distance through the woods. I could see laser rifle fire through the trees, so I wandered a little closer to have a look.

It was a group of Children of Atom who were holding position in an abandoned house and the bar/resturant next to it, against a group of Gunner raiders, who were trying to take it.

Normally these fights in other Fallouts or Skyrim are a case of "oh I'll just wade in there and kill them all" or "Eh, I'll see who wins then clean up the survivors" but it was just so beautiful, crouched in the woods watching these guys light up the night sky with their gunfire, then a truck and a car detonated in a massive nuclear fireball, illuminating the trees and making everyone take cover. Then the gunners had one guy hold up across the street and spray the Atom guys postion with automatic laser rifle fire while 2 others pushed up to the doors and threw acouple of grenades/molotovs in, and a 4th raider waited around the back.

It was awesome. The Atom guys didn't stand much of a chance. When a sniper round from hiding dropped their supressive support guy, the guy around the back ran to take his place, and quickly recieved a round too. The 2 guys safely inside the building now tried to take cover but each one was dispatched when they tried to change position to get a bead on me. It was fantastic. Almost like it was scripted.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

It took me a while to figure out how power works in settlements, and I'm still not entirely sure I've got it completely, but I managed to stick a disco ball over the top of my Power Armor crafting thing.

Also with the Power Armor, I like that it changes all the HUD and stuff, and getting rid of fall damage is just great. It's a pain having to get out to do lots of things though so I tend to leave it at home so far and save it for big fortified locations. It is tremendously good fun though.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

They did an awesome job making power armor in Fallout 4 a lot of fun to use. You really feel like an unstoppable juggernaut stomping around in one. Finding a new set always gets me excited.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

McDragon posted:

Also with the Power Armor, I like that it changes all the HUD and stuff

If you're playing it on the PS4, the controller light turns green if you light up your Pip Boy, and turns yellow when you get in a suit of Power Armor. It's a cool little touch!

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

Agents are GO! posted:

On a non-Fallout 4 note, since I can't play it till I upgrade my PC at tax season, I recently picked up one of my old favorite games: Split/Second. I've described Split/Second as "Mario Kart dressed up as Grand Turismo" and as "If Michael Bay made a racing game." Man, I wish this game would get a sequel. Anyhow, my two favorite little things in this game are:

1.) Every Achievement you get is represented as a Sponsor sticker on your car.

2.) The Soundtrack. Rather than just using a bunch of forgettable licensed tracks, the developer went the extra mile and made a very cool cinematic style soundtrack. The soundcloud up there can't really do it justice because it's dynamic in game, reacting to stuff that happens on screen.

I really recommend picking this one up, even though it's old. :)

If you go through your unlocked cars as you go through the game's season, most of the stickers will be in different places for each car (with the exception of DLC cars that are variants of what you unlock normally). Some of them actually change in appearance to reflect game progression; for example the decal you get for winning the first Elimination race gets a crown added to it when completing all of the elimination races in first place.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

McDragon posted:

It took me a while to figure out how power works in settlements, and I'm still not entirely sure I've got it completely, but I managed to stick a disco ball over the top of my Power Armor crafting thing.

Also with the Power Armor, I like that it changes all the HUD and stuff, and getting rid of fall damage is just great. It's a pain having to get out to do lots of things though so I tend to leave it at home so far and save it for big fortified locations. It is tremendously good fun though.

For most if the lights, they just need a nearby conduit. Individual bulbs don't have to be wired.

I'll post some shots later but I decided to move my operation to Starlight Drive-In.
I've circled the entire thing with junk fences, have a huge farm, plenty of turrets (with surprisingly good range), and a gate to let in my caravans.

The jewel of the setup is the gate that funnels raiders through a serpentine hallway to slow them down and then are forced to exit into an open-air plaza with turrets on top pointing down. It's a lovely little kill box. If any of them manage to escape, a laser tripwire sets off a siren that makes every settler rush to the forward position and take cover. Now, if only I got attacked more often...

Guys, Fallout 4 is really good.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I also surrounded my Drive-In with lovely wire-mesh fences and just stuck turrets in high places. But when attacked it just seemed to spawn the raiders in the middle of the place. :(
I did like how when you remove the barrels from the water the area is no longer radioactive. Look what I did that people for 200 years could do! Move a thing!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

To be fair, you are some sort of God that vacuums up dangerous materials and store them in a sky vault. I'm lugging around a ton of radioactive components but take no Rad damage. Okay.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Croccers posted:

I did like how when you remove the barrels from the water the area is no longer radioactive. Look what I did that people for 200 years could do! Move a thing!

I came to this realization midway into building a MASSIVE metal wall around the hole. It was pretty much then "Well, I guess I'm building a few shacks with these now :sigh:" and thus a community was born

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Inzombiac posted:

FO4:

I always play these games as a sneaky thief type. Once running doesn't affect stealth, it becomes exceptionally easy.
One new thing I like is that enemies that see you but then lose track of you will fire a little bit into your last known location. Of course a paranoid raider would take probing shots into the woods. This is a very neat effect but imagine my surprise when one did it carrying a Fat Man :stare:

Imagine my surprise when I found out raiders will loving throw mini nukes at you if they don't have a Fat Man. It still works (and I got an achievement for it). :negative:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Kimmalah posted:

Imagine my surprise when I found out raiders will loving throw mini nukes at you if they don't have a Fat Man. It still works (and I got an achievement for it). :negative:

That explains the random gigantic explosions I hear every so often.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
This whole "raiders carrying around the Fat Man/mini-nukes" thing makes Fallout 4 sound pretty interesting. In New Vegas you encountered all of like, one NPC with one of those (a single generic Boomer farmer who you made sure not to piss off.)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Judge Tesla posted:

That explains the random gigantic explosions I hear every so often.

If it's like 3, that might also be some physics weirdness causing cars to explode without clear provocation.

Bethesda.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Really late to the party on this but I'm still last-gen so killing time till I can play FO4. Instead I just started Farcry 3 and drat but do I love the movement mechanics.

I've just come off a huge FO:NV binge and while I love that game it's hardly got a fluent and natural feel to your character. Two hours into FC3 and I'm sliding down cliffs and ninja-ing through the underbrush and I love it. Barely even touched the plot because there are just so many pirates begging for a silent arrow or sneak takedown. It all feels very cinematic too; I just did an assassination mission where I snuck past half a dozen guards, lured the commander out from his hut with rocks, knifed him as I jumped off a roof and then hang-glidered off a cliff to safety while cackling madly. :ninja: It's the little things.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Cleretic posted:

If it's like 3, that might also be some physics weirdness causing cars to explode without clear provocation.

Bethesda.

My friend has a consistant bug where if he sprints into a stationary vehicle he dies. For the life of me I can't get it to happen in my game. My dog, however, does tend to helicopter into the sky any time it tackles an enemy, taking the enemy with it. If there's no roof they just go flying for a while.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Around The Fens there is plenty of random fighting so cars routinely explode. A patrolling BoS until will gently caress up a whole city block just to kill one mutant. I love it.

I stumbled across the ship town because a Brotherhood unit pissed off a Raider that ran there for cover. Two huge hulks rain laser death at the entrance (while Valentine tries his best :3:) and proceed to stomp across the narrow floating bridge. They get about half-way and fall off. I just see a stream of bubbles and thought they died.
Nope, they are walking across the ocean floor grumbling about raiders.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Nuebot posted:

My friend has a consistant bug where if he sprints into a stationary vehicle he dies. For the life of me I can't get it to happen in my game. My dog, however, does tend to helicopter into the sky any time it tackles an enemy, taking the enemy with it. If there's no roof they just go flying for a while.

I jumped and came into contact with a metal roadside barrier and got the BLARE AND SLOWCAM OF YOU ARE DEAD earlier. So there's that.

But something that really surprised me just now (exited the game just to post about it, actually): I was on my way to a settlement for a radiant quest, and decided to do some cooking before going to clear out the raiders threatening the settlement. I had brought Nick along since I got Piper's perk and I figured I'd start building my friendship with him.

And then I hear Nick talking - to one of the settlers! I didn't actually catch the start, but it felt like it deepened the reality of the world to have your NPC companion talk to another NPC and imply they had history. Just a random settler, not even another low-importance named NPC, but a generic settler. I really appreciate that detail. Dang.

...even if it's basically an edited version of two non-companion NPCs talking. I'm just too used to companions not interacting with the rest of the world much.

graybook has a new favorite as of 02:31 on Nov 16, 2015

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

. Two huge hulks rain laser death at the entrance (while Valentine tries his best :3:) and proceed to stomp across the narrow floating bridge. They get about half-way and fall off. I just see a stream of bubbles and thought they died.
Nope, they are walking across the ocean floor grumbling about raiders.

Related, that same town I stumbled on and got into a firefight with the raiders. 2 fell into the water, one I managed to kill by spraying the water where I thought he went in, and the other got stuck under a submerged boat. I dived in to see where she went, and watched as her life bar slowly drained as she drowned. Upon death, she flailed around like a person desperate to surface for air for a bit before going limp and floating to the surface.

That the BOS power armour guys don't float is a nice touch. Just keep on truckin' along the ocean floor, unlike unarmoured people who generally float/swim.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

graybook posted:

I jumped and came into contact with a metal roadside barrier and got the BLARE AND SLOWCAM OF YOU ARE DEAD earlier. So there's that.

Had this exact same thing happen to me when I jumped onto one while sneaking around to avoid a legendary Synth. I had no idea WTF.

Also about NPCs interacting with companions, I've had people in Diamond City coming up to Preston wanting to give him gift in appreciation for the work the Minutemen were doing, which felt like a nice variation on people approaching you in Megaton to give you a bag of chips. I never thought to check whether they actually gave him anything, though.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

graybook posted:

But something that really surprised me just now (exited the game just to post about it, actually): I was on my way to a settlement for a radiant quest, and decided to do some cooking before going to clear out the raiders threatening the settlement. I had brought Nick along since I got Piper's perk and I figured I'd start building my friendship with him.

And then I hear Nick talking - to one of the settlers! I didn't actually catch the start, but it felt like it deepened the reality of the world to have your NPC companion talk to another NPC and imply they had history. Just a random settler, not even another low-importance named NPC, but a generic settler. I really appreciate that detail. Dang.

...even if it's basically an edited version of two non-companion NPCs talking. I'm just too used to companions not interacting with the rest of the world much.

Take Piper along, she'll stop occasionally to do really bad journalism with random NPCs.

I really like the fact you can find raiders that have managed to fix up their own scraps and spikes power armour. It looks pretty cool but not really worth the armour after you find anything past your first suit.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Some may hate the idea but I LOVE that generic containers and unclaimed areas respawn enemies.
In the SE there is the Culp (?) Manor house that you can claim. In the front there is a cement pedestal that just begs for a suit of Power Armor as a statue (and thats what ive done). Once the BoS roll into town, there is almost always a fight between them and Super Mutants near the house. Easy pickings for miniguns and laser weapons. On the other side of the gate there is an Assultron and a Mr. Gutsy that poo poo out valuable components.
I swing by that place every now and then.

It does piss me off that it's next to the water but the boundary is so close that you can't use a large water purifier.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Geokinesis posted:

Take Piper along, she'll stop occasionally to do really bad journalism with random NPCs.

I really like the fact you can find raiders that have managed to fix up their own scraps and spikes power armour. It looks pretty cool but not really worth the armour after you find anything past your first suit.

Huh, I must have not noticed all the time I had her tagging along.
After I get Nick's perk I have GOT to take Strong on a murdertour to see how his interactions are.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I just saw a team of raiders somehow take down a Brotherhood vertibird, killing the pilot and an initiate immediately in the crash, only for an extremely pissed off Knight in busted-up but functional power armor to storm out of the blazing wreckage and singlehandedly annihilate all the raiders in a single charge without breaking step. Not scripted or part of a quest or anything, just something that happened.

I really love all the radiant stuff in this game.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
I'm just happy that companions are no longer targeted in VATS.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

StandardVC10 posted:

This whole "raiders carrying around the Fat Man/mini-nukes" thing makes Fallout 4 sound pretty interesting. In New Vegas you encountered all of like, one NPC with one of those (a single generic Boomer farmer who you made sure not to piss off.)

There are also nuclear landmines and a suicide bomber super mutant that runs straight at you with an armed nuke.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Kimmalah posted:

There are also nuclear landmines and a suicide bomber super mutant that runs straight at you with an armed nuke.
These are the only reason I carry Jet on me, so I can snipe that bomb out of their hand.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kimmalah posted:

They can knock you down and perform a touchdown on your face with it :gibs:.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

It would be great if there was an entire faction of people doing crazy sound effects to drive off raiders. Kind of like the Kings in New Vegas but instead of idolizing Elvis a bunch of people found some old Police Academy movies and started worshipping Michael Winslow.

I just picked up Dark Souls 2: Sholar of The First Sin and it's added tons of new little things. You can see hollowed soldiers mindlessly attacking the corpse of a Giant, there are actually Heide Knights in the Tower of Heid and they rearranged a lot of enemy place I. I played through the original 3 or 4 times and it's almost like a entirely new game.

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I just picked up Dark Souls 2: Sholar of The First Sin and it's added tons of new little things. You can see hollowed soldiers mindlessly attacking the corpse of a Giant, there are actually Heide Knights in the Tower of Heid and they rearranged a lot of enemy place I. I played through the original 3 or 4 times and it's almost like a entirely new game.

SotFS is chock full of little things to gently caress with veteran players. Aside from moving important loot around and adding more/harder enemy spawns, there are alos encounters that are specifically designed to gently caress you over if you're relying on muscle memory from the initial release.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Head shots actually kill people in one shot, unlike pretty much every other game where it just takes a portion of their health away. Pretty sure in real life shooting someone in the head doesn't still allow them to continue to perfectly aim and shoot a machine gun at you. So yay for realism.

--this is in free aim, not vats. I don't like vats so I dunno if it's the same there.

E: every other game when you're not using a sniper rifle.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 16:48 on Nov 16, 2015

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

That reminds me of one of my favorite things in Gears of War. Really great sound effects for headshot kills. It sounds like a big meaty watermelon exploding all over the place.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Thin Privilege posted:

Head shots actually kill people in one shot, unlike pretty much every other game where it just takes a portion of their health away. Pretty sure in real life shooting someone in the head doesn't still allow them to continue to perfectly aim and shoot a machine gun at you. So yay for realism.

--this is in free aim, not vats. I don't like vats so I dunno if it's the same there.

E: every other game when you're not using a sniper rifle.

I was still playing it thinking it was like New vegas and wondering why my 50 cal was only taking a quarter of health off for headshots on normal raiders.

I hadn't invested any perks into rifleman. Only melee. Still had it stuck in my head that rifle perks would just improve VATS percentages.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
I got to the castle fight in FO4.I was waaaay too low level (eight I think,) but was able to kill it.

I had the crit bar full, and then I knew I was in trouble when I got a crit shot with a fatman, and only did 1/3 damage to it. After rockets were gone I threw all my grenades, Took every drug I had (Med-X, psycho, jet, buffout, booze,) and ran up and killed it with a tire-iron axe.

That moment alone made the game worth buying, it was a great boss-fight.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
"'Tis but a scratch!"

Also, "scallywag!"

<3 Codsworth.

Though 'Tis but a scratch would be funnier if one of his arms fell off during a fight.

E: you can shoot out spotlights/searchlights MGS style. Unless this was possible in previous games but I don't remember it.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 17:49 on Nov 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Your Gay Uncle posted:

It would be great if there was an entire faction of people doing crazy sound effects to drive off raiders. Kind of like the Kings in New Vegas but instead of idolizing Elvis a bunch of people found some old Police Academy movies and started worshipping Michael Winslow.

They changed the key item eye you get to reveal the tiger in the Ivory King DLC so that it now reveals the invisible enemies in the shaded woods.
I had to fire up the original version of the game to see if I was imagining this when I first noticed.