Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
There aren't that many item categories in the game, and even fewer it'd make sense for a doghouse to be in. It probably would've been faster to just check yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

coyo7e posted:

If you're having trouble with stealth, you probably need more stealth and/or you aren't watching for patrol patterns and stuff. If you try pickpocketing a bit, you'll learn pretty quickly.

I've got all the perks and mods, there's literally no way I can find to improve my stealth in terms of gameplay stats without leveling up more, getting legendary gear or tracking down all those magazines. Another possibility is because I'm sneaking outside a lot, which was always harder in these games. I read somewhere that walking through foliage can make noise to alert enemies, so maybe that's it...

Johnny Truant posted:

Under what tab is the doghouse available to build in the workshop? I stored like 4 of them at Sanctuary to try to find my lost Dogmeat, then I got really high... and forgot I already stored them so I stored my last one. :doh:

I think I saw it under Buildings -> Wood -> Miscellaneous? Not 100% sure though.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

So I've got this weird performance issue where every so often the game will go from being very smooth and playable to super jittery and stutters. Sometimes I can make the game go back to being "smooth" by stopping and looking around a bit, for whatever reason. Anyone had this before? It's pretty aggravating

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
It is 200 years since the nukes fell, radiation should have died out. That's really immersion-breaking in 3 when even Chernobyl is pretty flourishing after 30 years.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

I seriously have not been this obsessed with a game in ten years. Just exploring places is the best part. I've been trying to get to the first spot to find nick valentine my last two play sessions but keep getting caught up in building clearing. Met some giant thing called Swan in the park that threw rocks. Not sure what it was, It didn't really look like a super mutant. Is there any back story to that dude? He dropped awesome armor too.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

GuyUpNorth posted:

It is 200 years since the nukes fell, radiation should have died out. That's really immersion-breaking in 3 when even Chernobyl is pretty flourishing after 30 years.

I don't understand why people complain about this, but then look at the giant scorpians and mosuitos and radioactive battle lizards and are like "well okay."

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

GuyUpNorth posted:

Fallout universe radiation is obviously a whole different ballgame. Real life nuclear fallout wouldn't make ghouls, for one thing, not to mention deathclaws or any of the other mutants. Fallout ain't exactly hard sci-fi.

I do prefer the New Vegas version of things where people have started to rebuild and it's desolate because it's, you know, a desert.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Russia had forty-five thousand operational nukes in 1986, US had seventy thousand. If even a fraction of those nukes were launched, I'm pretty sure the lasting effects of the fallout would be a lot more impactful than a pinprick like Chernobyl.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

GuyUpNorth posted:

Apologies for the flagellation of the deceased equine, but Fallout radiation is explicitly very different from that of real-world physics. In any case, many of the major sources of radiation are from leaking generators or reactor slag barrels, which are a much longer-lasting problem. The Glowing Sea is just weird, though. Dunno what's up with that.

E: tri-ninja'd. My gosh you're all insane.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

don't overthink it you retards

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

a7m2 posted:

Rude.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Harrow posted:

Speaking of armor, does anyone know of other upgradeable outfits like the Silver Shroud Armor? That one has new versions you can get at levels 25, 35, and 45 to stay current defensively. I wish I could do that with Kellogg's Outfit, too.

Are there any other outfits that work that way?
Minuteman General's armor seems to work the same. It didn't seem very good when I got it, but it's now up to like 45 and 80 energy resist, making it one of the better armors I have, at least as a function of limb damage. Haven't been crippled in forever. If the armor values at the bottom of the inventory screen are any indication, I probably take more direct health damage though; the values there are lower than if I equip with combat armor to all body parts.

I haven't actually seen it increase in stats, though. I just vaguely recall writing off when I first picked it up.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

The radiation has lasted so long because Mr. New Vegas's personality is so radiant it spreads across the whole continent.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Chernobyl was a power plant, Fallout assumes a ton of nukes. Besides, they were also actively using nuclear power for cars ffs, so there's gonna be a lot of that poo poo floating about.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

GuyUpNorth posted:

Generally the radiation in Fallout doesn't come from the fallout of nuclear war, which would be gone after a while. It's concentrated around barrels or pools of nuclear waste, which will stick around for a long, long time, since it's a concentrated, immobile supply of radioactive material.

And Chernobyl is not exactly flourishing, in the traditional sense. It's only become a refuge for animals because of the lack of human contact, and a lot of those animals are starting to show some signs of genetic decay. Flora isn't doing much better, as only the hardiest of scrub has shown any ability to grow decently there. Trees are only just starting to show signs of regrowth, and only certain species.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does anyone know if those mutant dolphins appear in the game aside from the dead ones you occasionally find washed up on shore?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kiggles posted:

Minuteman General's armor seems to work the same. It didn't seem very good when I got it, but it's now up to like 45 and 80 energy resist, making it one of the better armors I have, at least as a function of limb damage. Haven't been crippled in forever. If the armor values at the bottom of the inventory screen are any indication, I probably take more direct health damage though; the values there are lower than if I equip with combat armor to all body parts.

I haven't actually seen it increase in stats, though. I just vaguely recall writing off when I first picked it up.

That's its base stats, I think. If it improves as you level all on its own that'd be really cool.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Nuclear Cars, Nuclear Robots, Nuclear Warsuits, hand held nuke launchers, tons of nuclear power plants, and like 60,000 nuclear warheads detonated across the globe.

Yeah that shits gonna last a while.

Also radscorpions.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
The only unrealistic part of Fallout is the lack of CHUDs.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

a7m2 posted:

I purchase fallout 4 based upon it being a simulation not a video game.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

neonbregna posted:

I purchase fallout 4 based upon it being a simulation not a video game.

Go back to DayZ, 'cuz you CraZ.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Found another set of X-01 armor.
In the swamps down south, there is a crashed Vertibird, and near it there is a set of power armor that, for me, was X-01.
YMMV though, as people have reported getting T-60 sets below level 30 on the other confirmed X-01 locations.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Is there any bubble heads that you can lock yourself out of like in 3?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Got the "Find 100 locations" cheevo.

How many more are there? drat.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Radiation this and radiation that, I still don't get how the skeleton of a bank robber can sit on the street, loot in tow, for two hundred years without being so much as disturbed by the wind

I still have to tell myself that the serious breathe-and-you-die fallout only lifted something like 2-5 years ago

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Digital_Jesus posted:

Its Food + Water vs Defense.

If your food and water combined is higher than your defense, attacks are more frequent, lower = less frequent.
Sanctuary has 300 water and 40 defense. None of my settlements have ever been attacked.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I've said it before but generally outside of one or two areas all the power armour spawns in the game are based on your level. X-01s start showing up around level 30 and the higher your level the more likely it is that it'll be a complete set.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm level 15 and I am having a hell of a time making my dude. I'm suffering from my Bethesda Game Crippling Character Development Anxiety. Skyrim is the only time this didn't happen. Oh well I guess I'll end up with my super generic first character. Do others go through 3-5 build ideas through the course of their first play through?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
So I found a suit of Raider Power Armor at a little motel, but I was already wearing power armor so I left it and marked it on the map. I came back and getting into it or taking the core was considered "stealing".. I hopped in anyway and took it home and parked it. I'll never use it. However I decided to move it, but it's STILL considered "stealing". Piper and Valentine got mad at me. What the gently caress, game? I halfway expect a Nord guard to run out of nowhere and arrest me.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm level 15 and I am having a hell of a time making my dude. I'm suffering from my Bethesda Game Crippling Character Development Anxiety. Skyrim is the only time this didn't happen. Oh well I guess I'll end up with my super generic first character. Do others go through 3-5 build ideas through the course of their first play through?

There's not exactly a ton of variation, your only real choices are "do I want to use melee/guns?" and "how much do I want to rely on VATS?"

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Lady Naga posted:

I've said it before but generally outside of one or two areas all the power armour spawns in the game are based on your level. X-01s start showing up around level 30 and the higher your level the more likely it is that it'll be a complete set.

The scaling can be pretty harsh, I went to the Revere Satellite Array super early because I was rushing the Brotherhood quests on a second play-through, and the PA spawn at the top was just a frame with nothing on it. Not even a Fusion Core to make it somewhat valuable.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Wildtortilla posted:

There is no level cap. Eventually you can max out everything and do whatever you want. Don't sweat it.

Theres enough XP in the game to get to around 80-ish without having to grind the repeatable quests. I'm level 72 at the moment.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Also I don't know if I posted this before but when you steal a suit of power armour, only the frame is flagged as stolen. You can hop in it, take your fusion core and all the armour, and go leave the frame somewhere to rust.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

New Leaf posted:

I halfway expect a Nord guard to run out of nowhere and arrest me.

This would be a fantastic mod. Just make a lovely wasteland version of the guard armor and have a 1/10000 chance upon stealing that some guy runs up to you going "STOP, YOU'VE VIOLATED THE LAW!"

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

New Leaf posted:

So I found a suit of Raider Power Armor at a little motel, but I was already wearing power armor so I left it and marked it on the map. I came back and getting into it or taking the core was considered "stealing".. I hopped in anyway and took it home and parked it. I'll never use it. However I decided to move it, but it's STILL considered "stealing". Piper and Valentine got mad at me. What the gently caress, game? I halfway expect a Nord guard to run out of nowhere and arrest me.

I had two sets of stolen power armor in Sanctuary and despite him not being my current companion and despite him not being anywhere near the shack I was storing my Power Armor in, Preston Garvey hated me every time I got in it to move it around. What a dick.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Digital_Jesus posted:

Nuclear Cars, Nuclear Robots, Nuclear Warsuits, hand held nuke launchers, tons of nuclear power plants, and like 60,000 nuclear warheads detonated across the globe.

Yeah that shits gonna last a while.

Also radscorpions.

But but but but but Chernobyl. I'm a goon, which automatically means I have a degree in nuclear physics

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

GuyUpNorth posted:

Bethesda does a lot of things because it fits the theme of Fallout, not because it makes sense.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Digital_Jesus posted:

There is no level cap. Eventually you can max out everything and do whatever you want. Don't sweat it.

Theres enough XP in the game to get to around 80-ish without having to grind the repeatable quests. I'm level 72 at the moment.

holy poo poo

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Wildtortilla posted:

I usually start over multiple times in any game like this, but FO4 is the one time I just made a character without thinking too hard and rolled out, and I'm perfectly happy so far. The ability to add points to SPECIAL on level up, and the seeming lack of a real "dump stat", have made me not think too much about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Charisma is a huge fuckin' dump stat, and agility doesn't have a whole lot worthwhile if you're not interested in VATS.

• Locked thread