Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Guy A. Person posted:

It's me. I'm the guy who did this...

All I managed to read was that someone or something was dead so it could have been worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Well, shittagoddamn, what the fuuuuuuuck. :stare:

Frackie Robinson posted:

Nobody's dead until they're dead, and sometimes not even then.

This is what I saw and I quickly closed the thread :ohdear:

Really speechless about the episode, will need to go rewatch sometime this week. Just continually getting blown away about how good this show is.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Lycus posted:

I hope someone clicks on the thread before watching the episode.

This is me right now.

I WANT TO WATCH IT NOW

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

One of the things that always weirds me out about the show is you never know if something magical or something mundane is going on. Is Kevin just schizophrenic or does he have an adversary? I can't think of any other show where I've really seen that kind of suspense. Like you see stuff like it in trash fantasy but they don't do devastating consequences much and usually in other shows the suspense is will someone do something lovely or good or will someone understand some strategy and counter it.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Yeah, I really liked the contrast between Laurie's professional evaluation and the end result. The only reason not to believe Laurie's totally plausible and reasonable explanation is because, well, a bunch of loving people disappeared all at once. She might be the one clinging to a belief - the belief that the rules didn't change.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I guess we'll find out if the rules changed as soon as we find out if Kevin actually died or not which kind of makes me think we won't see him until the finale but who knows.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

SLOSifl posted:

Yeah, I really liked the contrast between Laurie's professional evaluation and the end result. The only reason not to believe Laurie's totally plausible and reasonable explanation is because, well, a bunch of loving people disappeared all at once. She might be the one clinging to a belief - the belief that the rules didn't change.

Yeah, pretty much this, there's been a ton of stuff this episode, and all season, that's led me to believe Kevin's just sick in the head and hallucinating, but then again, the Departures, the early season bird resurrection, and some other stuff from both season's I've probably forgotten, can mean that there still could be something supernatural going on too.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V
Man. I wonder if Damon Lindelof ever had someone cross a crowded street just to punch his smug loving face.

And the acting in this episode was nuts. So this leaves Chris Zylka and Liv Tyler as the only two not turn in a devastating performance yet this season and they've got three episodes left to do it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Mr. Belding posted:

Man. I wonder if Damon Lindelof ever had someone cross a crowded street just to punch his smug loving face.

:psyduck:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Mr. Belding posted:

He's never come off as smug to me. In fact, he's talked at length about how hugely depressed he got due to people disliking the Lost finale.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

qbert posted:

He's never come off as smug to me. In fact, he's talked at length about how hugely depressed he got due to people disliking the Lost finale.
Then maybe he shouldn't have written such a lovely finale. :colbert:

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Damon Lindelof owns. If I saw him from across the street I'd run over and give him a massive hug.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
I used to not like Damon Lindelof, mainly because of Lost and the Star Trek scripts he worked on that were loving terrible. But this show has absolutely redeemed him for me as a writer/showrunner/whatever

And I don't know how you could read interviews with the guy and not just love him. He seems great. Case in point, this goddamn hilarious quote from him that Alan Sepinwall just shared:

Damen Lindelof posted:

You will see Kevin, or parts of Kevin, possibly memories of Kevin, Kevin's jogging pants, Maybe another character named Kevin, an adolescent game entitled 'Seven Minutes in Kevin,' and/or, but not necessarily literally, the ACTUAL Kevin, again. And soon. #GlennLives

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

I thought Kevin went to the fire station to get John Murphy to shoot him, which seems like an already proven fix to his problem.

John Murphy is still probably going to shoot him. Eventually.

Next week is probably a Tommy episode.

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005
OH MY GOD
or no god or who the gently caress even knows
I was kinda hoping he would tackle Patty in the other place if only to try something (brain reset from near death experience maybe)... but when the old man emptied the epinephrin and shot himself
HOLKY gently caress
This show has been so out of the box that they might actually kill their main protag. and have everyone deal with the fall out.

Also lol at the hobo dude living up in the tower of the main plaza being a "success story" and Jill not having her mother back, no way.

Today's episode summary was:
Nora gives Kevin and Jill news they weren't expecting.
Kevin deals with the fall-out of Nora's news and explores his options re: tackling his Patti problem head-on.
Jill goes on a solo adventure that could only happen in Miracle.
Laurie makes a rash decision that affects the Garveys.

I don't recall any solo adventure for Jill.

Episode summaries for eps 08 and 09

08 International Assasin
In the shadow of Laurie questioning his mental health, Kevin attempts to vanquish Patti on an unexpected battlefield. A terrible, heartbreaking choice is all that stands between Kevin and his chance to rid himself of her and his past.

09 Ten Thirteen
A personal loss and subsequent pilgrimage to Miracle offer clues on why Meg embarked on her path as a Remnant crusader. After a fallout with Laurie, Tom seeks to reunite with Meg.

Just wanted to add that I've been glad they gave Kevin a Patti ghost/hallucination because the actress is amazing.

n3wt fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 16, 2015

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

SLOSifl posted:

The kid knows something and this is part of the plan. Kevin is going to be a loving lunatic after this. please don't be dead

That was another incredible episode. These shits keep getting better.

Yeah that was a great episode. The kid had to have known everything that was going to go down. He was grossed out by the suicide but definitely didn't seem shocked. And his last words with Kevin seemed ... sad but not final if that makes sense. Like I think he was legitimately wishing him good luck in what was about to occur.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 16, 2015

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
Demons have been mentioned in passing in this show but what is the likelihood of anything actually that spooky coming into a show like this?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

"If I told you the solution to all your problems was a magical black guy who lives outside of town? Hell Kevin that's borderline racist!"

Show owns. Shut every other show down.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
"In Cairo, there's an ancient artifact..." was frickin' hilarious.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Thief posted:

Demons have been mentioned in passing in this show but what is the likelihood of anything actually that spooky coming into a show like this?

Slim to none unless there's some crazy finale. I think showing an actual demon or direct evidence of it is a little too overt for this show. Especially since the key element in the show is how humans react more than the event itself. So keeping demons an "are they/aren't they real" scenario through the end seems more in line with the shows MO.

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005

Lycus posted:

Patti must be real, Kevin's too bland to think up this amazing poo poo

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

BonoMan posted:

Slim to none unless there's some crazy finale. I think showing an actual demon or direct evidence of it is a little too overt for this show. Especially since the key element in the show is how humans react more than the event itself. So keeping demons an "are they/aren't they real" scenario through the end seems more in line with the shows MO.

Yeah, I think that they've made it clear that the show isn't about the mystery itself, but people's reactions to it. Having a demon show up and suddenly everything is explained would cut against the major theme of the show.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

BonoMan posted:

That first statement is just... dumb? I'm not blaming him for the gaffing, or cinematography or direct acting... but for what I feel are terrible discrete character actions while achieving overall cool big ideas (which is why I like The Leftovers and Lost still. I love the big ideas, but get bogged down with some of the smaller character actions that just seem ... hastily written to move the plots along). I've been involved in enough movies to see first hand how a hamfisted screenwriter can directly impact a movie.

A screenwriter has a massive impact on the quality of storytelling within a movie. To say otherwise is just being willfully obtuse.

He was extensively responsible for the rewrites of WWZ which I felt were lesser than the original story and Prometheus has some of the dumbest handwaving on the planet regardless of Scott directing. I love Ridley Scott, but him directing something doesn't mean some of the dumber character motivations get some magical free pass.

If you actually worked on movies you would know that the director has final say on nearly all aspects of a movie, not to mention the fact that studios routinely send in screenwriters for shadow rewrites as a matter of course

Especially, again, when you have a director with the ridiculous authorial intent and control over his works like Ridley Scott does

Especially since Lindelof basically has confirmed without confirming, because you don't do that, because this is hollywood, that all the stuff in Prometheus that people didn't like- all the overt Alien references and unnecessary explanation of the background of the Alien series - was all crowbarred into the script by Scott

Which, you know, makes total loving sense when you have a dude like Ridley Scott directing the film

Lindelof isn't blameless for the quality or lack thereof of Prometheus but to place him first or even, realistically, in the top ten of reasons that movie failed is silly and fundamentally misunderstands how many different filters whatever script he wrote went through, most importantly Ridley Scott who, again, is the biggest proof positive that auteur theory is still alive and functioning in hollywood

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Toxxupation posted:

If you actually worked on movies you would know that the director has final say on nearly all aspects of a movie, not to mention the fact that studios routinely send in screenwriters for shadow rewrites as a matter of course

Especially, again, when you have a director with the ridiculous authorial intent and control over his works like Ridley Scott does

Especially since Lindelof basically has confirmed without confirming, because you don't do that, because this is hollywood, that all the stuff in Prometheus that people didn't like- all the overt Alien references and unnecessary explanation of the background of the Alien series - was all crowbarred into the script by Scott

Which, you know, makes total loving sense when you have a dude like Ridley Scott directing the film

Lindelof isn't blameless for the quality or lack thereof of Prometheus but to place him first or even, realistically, in the top ten of reasons that movie failed is silly and fundamentally misunderstands how many different filters whatever script he wrote went through, most importantly Ridley Scott who, again, is the biggest proof positive that auteur theory is still alive and functioning in hollywood

I don't wholeheartedly blame Lindelof for the failures of any of the things I listed. Nor do I think any of the things I listed ARE large failures (which is why I said I liked them). My squabble with Lindelof is mainly dialogue and how I feel like, while he's great at the big ideas (and it's what I love about these shows), I feel a lot of the time the dialogue or character motivation suffers to just move along to the big idea... or create unnecessary confusion between characters to continue the plot along or extend tension. And sometimes that feels kind of cheap and insulting (that's too strong of a word but you know what I mean).

And a lot of that is carried over from the screenwriting process and directly impacts the movie's quality in my opinion. Doesn't ruin it, but it does take me out of the moment from time to time.

I've been on a few sets and, yes, a director theoretically has final say (and someone like Scott has even more final say... 90% of directors don't have nearly the amount of control they'd like), but a screenwriter - especially one that has gotten stature like Lindelof (for good or bad) - will have some direct influence. There are concessions to be made, arguments to be had... maybe the director doesn't see how stilted something is until later. A lot of things that can let bad moments slip through the cracks and into the final cut.

All that said, I think The Leftovers is miles above his other stuff and there are way way way fewer moments that bother me than other shows. But it still leaves me a bit cautious just because I think Lindelof loves really cool ideas and moments but sometimes he doesn't feel editorial enough to trim it down and make it cohesive.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 16, 2015

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

n3wt posted:

Today's episode summary was:
Nora gives Kevin and Jill news they weren't expecting.
Kevin deals with the fall-out of Nora's news and explores his options re: tackling his Patti problem head-on.
Jill goes on a solo adventure that could only happen in Miracle.
Laurie makes a rash decision that affects the Garveys.

I don't recall any solo adventure for Jill.

Just wanted to add that I've been glad they gave Kevin a Patti ghost/hallucination because the actress is amazing.

Jill went to visit her boyfriend in his church, complained about him being a religious bbcocktease, and ranted about her family problems. I don't think that counts as much of an adventure on this show, but, then again, this is dull Jill, so expectations and all that, I do guess it could only happen in Miracle cuz that's the only place her boyfriend's ever lived, so that conversation couldn't have happened anywhere else

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

BonoMan posted:

I think that's why I like it so much.

With the end of the most recent episode I went from amused when our mans asked how long it takes and just comically falls over to horrified because that's such a great character and I really can't even try to guess what direction they'll go with it. They definitely aren't afraid to do huge shifts in the show, just look back at how perfectly different the new opening sequence/scene was during the season premiere.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
How does this show keep on topping itself week after week?

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Just watched last night's episode. I legitimately exclaimed, "What the gently caress?" at the last scene.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

So... Why did the magical black man want Garvey to kill himself? Does he think he killed his granddaughter?

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Also, Nora fleeing made the least amount of sense. You'd think she would have the reaction his wife did - get him on meds or something.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

And finally, lol at the following;

The magical negro
Trying to call out the magical negro, but still using him as such
An easy out (he comes to - turns out it wasn't a fatal dose!)
And "I can fix this," Jack's rallying cry, used unironically.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Just give them the Emmys. All of them.

Holy poo poo, this show is beyond amazing. Every week before it starts I think this run can't continue, and yet it does.

Lindelof. Every interview I've seen with him makes him seem like a really cool dude, haters GTFO. As for LOST, considering they had ABC executives actively telling them to dumb parts of it down (read this http://okbjgm.weebly.com/lost/the-lost-will-and-testament-of-javier-grillo-marxuach to see) what he, Carlton Cuse and JJ Abrams were able to pull off is astounding. If you don't think mystery building and character development are things that Damon LIndelof is good at I really don't know what to tell you.

E: I know we're no supposed to talk about LOST too much in this thread but holy poo poo, so many LOST themes. I need you to believe me Penny. You have to die. Being unable to kill yourself. All so familiar yet still fresh at the same time. This is TV magic.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 17, 2015

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Lycus posted:

I want to know if Patti was really pulling Kevin's leg or if the artifact thing actually plays into the National Geographic magazine Chief Garvey gave Kevin last season.

FrensaGeran posted:

"If I told you the solution to all your problems was a magical black guy who lives outside of town? Hell Kevin that's borderline racist!"

Show owns. Shut every other show down.

I was actually worried they were going to go with yet another Magical Negro but when Patti said that, I knew everything was going to be all right. Show does indeed own.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Vanderdeath posted:

I want to know if Patti was really pulling Kevin's leg or if the artifact thing actually plays into the National Geographic magazine Chief Garvey gave Kevin last season.

I was actually worried they were going to go with yet another Magical Negro but when Patti said that, I knew everything was going to be all right. Show does indeed own.

They still used a magical negro as a plot point though. Just because they called themselves out on it doesn't mean they didn't use it.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Puppy Galaxy posted:

They still used a magical negro as a plot point though. Just because they called themselves out on it doesn't mean they didn't use it.

Did you forget Holy Wayne from last season?

It's okay if you've already done it before.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Also, Nora fleeing made the least amount of sense. You'd think she would have the reaction his wife did - get him on meds or something.

She left because she thinks SHE'S the reason he's going nuts. She thinks she's a "lens" causing all the hosed up poo poo to people around her.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Puppy Galaxy posted:

So would you prefer their neighbors were white and therefore had a magical white grandfather or still black, but with a white grandfather to avoid using it?

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

So would you prefer their neighbors were white and therefore had a magical white grandfather or still black, but with a white grandfather to avoid using it?

Well I think there are dozens of other avenues to go down other than the one that leads to an old dark skinned black man in a shack. I'm withholding judgement until I see where they're going with this ultimately, but so far that was the most magical negro I've seen since the Green Mile.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

qbert posted:

Did you forget Holy Wayne from last season?

It's okay if you've already done it before.

Holy Wayne was a new agey deity; this dude basically lived in Uncle Tom's cabin.

of course, he (probably, possibly?) wasn't actually magical. It just felt a bit like an afterthought to have another character call it out in passing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Thief posted:

They definitely aren't afraid to do huge shifts in the show, just look back at how perfectly different the new opening sequence/scene was during the season premiere.

I'm new to the thread so I didn't get to be around when that new title sequence was introduced, but lemme just add for the record that it's loving amazing. WAY WAY better than the Season 1 sequence.

• Locked thread