Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Also:

Los Angeles police union blasts 'Preservation of Life' award
[/quote]

With any luck the chief will have the sense to tell those whiny-rear end babies to shut the gently caress up or else their coffin won't even be getting a flag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

That is really hosed up about Bland. But aren't they kind of torpedoing their own case by basically saying jail sucks so much you'll kill yourself if you don't get bailed out?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Another expert had decided that the murder of Tamir Rice was justified.

http://america.aljazeera.com/articl...dium=SocialFlow

I honestly can't comprehend it

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irh3JUch7Hg

This video apparently just surfaced of a few cops "aggressively detaining" a suspect. Which is a great way to describe 10-15 seconds of blows to the head on a guy who isn't resisting.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Holy poo poo. I seriously can't believe that's not a parody. As soon as he's on the ground just instantly bludgeoning him in the back of the head, then all over.

what the gently caress

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Look, you have no idea what happened before that. I'm sure that there is something the cameras didn't show that makes this objectively reasonable, which will come out in due time during the sealed grand jury process.

Edit because tone: holy poo poo.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have to hope that's fake. Just look at that gently caress try to crack that guy's head open like it's got the answer to why daddy never loved him locked inside.

Eagerly awaiting one of the usual suspects chiming in to explain how actually the law allows for police to behave so reprehensibly.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
it was perfectly legal, maybe you shouldn't be so overemotional. while it's bad to look at from a laymans pov, it's not unreasonable conduct if you make the reasonable assumption the cops were just overexcited idiots acting with their best possible intentions, and you can't prove to a legal standard they were trying to murder him as opposed to thinking he might have had a skull thrice as thick as a normal mans so it's churlish to assume that it was brutality. the system might enable some hypothetical bad behavior and while statically there is some evidence everything is awful, if you change anything, it will ruin things for everyone so nothing can be done. The system works. The system works. The system works.

did I cover all the bases

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tiler Kiwi posted:

it was perfectly legal, maybe you shouldn't be so overemotional. while it's bad to look at from a laymans pov, it's not unreasonable conduct if you make the reasonable assumption the cops were just overexcited idiots acting with their best possible intentions, and you can't prove to a legal standard they were trying to murder him as opposed to thinking he might have had a skull thrice as thick as a normal mans so it's churlish to assume that it was brutality. the system might enable some hypothetical bad behavior and while statically there is some evidence everything is awful, if you change anything, it will ruin things for everyone so nothing can be done. The system works. The system works. The system works.

I'll be honest I did a double-take to make sure I didn't somehow take some cop's dumbass kid off ignore.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Yeah you made me angry for the first sentence and I settled down, so good work.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Grundulum posted:

Look, you have no idea what happened before that. I'm sure that there is something the cameras didn't show that makes this objectively reasonable, which will come out in due time during the sealed grand jury process.

Edit because tone: holy poo poo.

This is San Francisco. They're gonna get prosecuted for something.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Looks like the guy was charged with "assault with a deadly weapon on a police officer," so I'm curious if that's the charge for him hitting a patrol car with the stolen vehicle or something else.

None of that really matters, though, because I'm pretty sure he still shouldn't have been hit 30 times with a baton and just fuuuuuuuck everything.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

nm posted:

This is San Francisco. They're gonna get prosecuted for something.

I hope so, but not necessarily.... I know you always claim cops will be held accountable for their actions when they gently caress up in SF (and maybe they do get held accountable more often than in your average big US city), but the SFPD and other Bay Area police agencies also get away with all kinds of illegal/questionable poo poo on a regular basis. SF is not that much different than other US cities when it comes to police accountability.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

"Preservation of Life"? Pffffft. Why couldn't those cops be more like Ralph Friedman?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irh3JUch7Hg

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Who do these guys think they are, the LAPD?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah, I didn't feel like eating lunch today anyways. Ugh.

I'm genuinely curious if there's a database of situations of accused police brutality versus outcomes. I know that there are currently a dozen "high profile" cases that have yet to see a court room, but even past cases that were pretty open-and-shut, such as Schoolchild in NY, have fairly disappointing resolutions.

There are stats available for crime rates dropping and comparative occupational risk, I haven't seen a metric geared towards police reform, though.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Phone posted:

Yeah, I didn't feel like eating lunch today anyways. Ugh.

I'm genuinely curious if there's a database of situations of accused police brutality versus outcomes. I know that there are currently a dozen "high profile" cases that have yet to see a court room, but even past cases that were pretty open-and-shut, such as Schoolchild in NY, have fairly disappointing resolutions.

There are stats available for crime rates dropping and comparative occupational risk, I haven't seen a metric geared towards police reform, though.

It's likely to be very skewed toward high accusations, low convictions of cops. Whenever Killed By Police is brought up (America has broken 1000 deaths, folks!), the perennial police defenders like Dead Reckoning often point out how many of the incidents involve armed suspects or apparent deaths from medical conditions or accidental car crashes or whatever.

The thing is, the number of cases just this year in which the police's own reporting has been brought into doubt or proven entirely false brings every case into question if it doesn't have incredibly solid evidence (like video). If there's so many instances of unreliable reporting and outright lying on non-fatal cases, how are we supposed to honestly believe any of the reports on what happened? How many reports really are mysterious deaths by medical conditions and not something made up like "excited delirium" to cover up abuse? How many cases of an armed suspect being shot were just reported as armed after the fact and any investigation into the lack of a weapon (or a weapon dropped at the scene, potentially) was "gently" guided away? How many suspects shot after "trying to run over a cop" were actually not putting anyone in danger and the excuse was given later with little to no effort to prove otherwise? And even among the cases of legitimate armed suspects, how many were actually dangerous criminals who could only be stopped with lethal force? How many could have potentially been talked down or stopped with less-lethal weapons, but the officers just defaulted to shooting?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Unfortunately the response is "It's hard!!!" therefore, it's not worth pursuing.

It might just be SAD kicking in or just a glut of awful poo poo happening, but it feels like violence is becoming more brutal and commonplace; however, it could just be a result of commodity electronics just actually reporting stuff. But then again, there was supposed to be that shocking footage from Chicago being released, but Minneapolis and SF are in the news plus the attacks in Paris, so hats off to CPD for getting a "lucky" break.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Phone posted:

It might just be SAD kicking in or just a glut of awful poo poo happening, but it feels like violence is becoming more brutal and commonplace; however, it could just be a result of commodity electronics just actually reporting stuff. But then again, there was supposed to be that shocking footage from Chicago being released, but Minneapolis and SF are in the news plus the attacks in Paris, so hats off to CPD for getting a "lucky" break.

I'd guess the latter. Remember that it used to actually be outright legal for police to shoot at fleeing suspects who weren't dangerous and less-lethal tools like pepper spray and Tasers are relatively recent inventions. I'd be willing to bet that police brutality in America is so ingrained because it has an extremely long history, and it just wasn't until the past few years that you could expect almost anyone on the street to be carrying an HD camera with the ability to upload straight to online social media at all times. For that matter, it was only in the past 20 years that the Internet became such a major part of world culture that news could start traveling rapidly around a country or worldwide. How many deaths exactly like Michael Brown or Freddie Gray occurred in the 60s and 70s and were just never questioned, or were questioned locally but never had the Internet to turn them into an international phenomenon?

It's the same with the crime rate. All reliable reports are that crime is going down and shows no sign of stopping, but the media is tuned into constant death and destruction and people are lamenting the backwards slide of the world into anarchy. It's not getting any worse, but you pay attention to the bad more than the good and now you get to see all the bad stuff that was happening all along but never warranted reprinting in a newspaper on the other side of the country.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

How many deaths exactly like Michael Brown or Freddie Gray occurred in the 60s and 70s and were just never questioned, or were questioned locally but never had the Internet to turn them into an international phenomenon?

If reading Nixonland has taught me anything, it's a poo poo ton of cases, but even than people knew it was bullshit but white supremacy won time and time again against people trying to report on it. And that these people have been using the exact same defense to cover for police abuse since than. Even down to making murders into Right Wing hero's and wealthy with donations like Lt. William Calley who massacred civilians at Mai Lai

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

I can't find anything else about it online, so it looks like NBC Bay Area is about to break a story about how San Jose PD recently discovered that about 300 guns have gone missing from their storage. Cool.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Senf posted:

I can't find anything else about it online, so it looks like NBC Bay Area is about to break a story about how San Jose PD recently discovered that about 300 guns have gone missing from their storage. Cool.

Is San Jose where all the dedicated libertarian tech types hang out because they aren't cool enough to be located in SF proper? Like a suburb except full of "disruptive" fintech ideas guys rather than disgusting belugas with their rotten kids and fugly houses.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Also a whole lot of homeless people.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
And patent lawyers!

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

FAUXTON posted:

Is San Jose where all the dedicated libertarian tech types hang out because they aren't cool enough to be located in SF proper? Like a suburb except full of "disruptive" fintech ideas guys rather than disgusting belugas with their rotten kids and fugly houses.

identity_politics.txt

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I-94 in Minneapolis has been blocked for almost three hours now. Not sure what is going on, as the live stream just died.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Silver Nitrate posted:

I-94 in Minneapolis has been blocked for almost three hours now. Not sure what is going on, as the live stream just died.

Protests for Jamar Clark, apparently.

Refresher for the thread:
http://www.kare11.com/story/news/local/2015/11/15/man-shot-during-struggle-with-police/75821724/

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The Minneapolis mayor wants a federal investigation into the shooting.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/protests-erupt-black-man-shot-police-minneapolis-35224479

And the two S.F. cops caught on tape beating the hell out of that guy are on leave.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Alameda-deputies-on-paid-leave-following-6634553.php

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

chitoryu12 posted:

I'd guess the latter. Remember that it used to actually be outright legal for police to shoot at fleeing suspects who weren't dangerous and less-lethal tools like pepper spray and Tasers are relatively recent inventions. I'd be willing to bet that police brutality in America is so ingrained because it has an extremely long history, and it just wasn't until the past few years that you could expect almost anyone on the street to be carrying an HD camera with the ability to upload straight to online social media at all times. For that matter, it was only in the past 20 years that the Internet became such a major part of world culture that news could start traveling rapidly around a country or worldwide. How many deaths exactly like Michael Brown or Freddie Gray occurred in the 60s and 70s and were just never questioned, or were questioned locally but never had the Internet to turn them into an international phenomenon?

Look up the Zoot Suit riots if you really want a fun time. Hint: They're called such because the people the rioters (mostly Navy Sailors, but some police too) beat up wore Zoot Suits, not the other way around.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

FAUXTON posted:

You have an interesting definition of 'suburb'. San Jose was full of libertarian tech types way before the current wave of startups decided that SF was the cool place to live. And if you believe my mother, it's currently undergoing a crime wave because the SJPD no longer tries to stop burglaries. This news isn't going to help me convince her otherwise.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

g0del posted:

You have an interesting definition of 'suburb'. San Jose was full of libertarian tech types way before the current wave of startups decided that SF was the cool place to live. And if you believe my mother, it's currently undergoing a crime wave because the SJPD no longer tries to stop burglaries. This news isn't going to help me convince her otherwise.

Does she explain why the police are no longer stopping burglaries?

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose
Haven't seen this one posted yet.

http://wncn.com/2015/11/15/1-killed-in-harnett-co-officer-involved-shooting/

Officer without a warrant shows up around 3:00AM and kicks in a door when the resident refuses entry, then kills him.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Spun Dog posted:

Haven't seen this one posted yet.

http://wncn.com/2015/11/15/1-killed-in-harnett-co-officer-involved-shooting/

Officer without a warrant shows up around 3:00AM and kicks in a door when the resident refuses entry, then kills him.

I'll never get used to stuff like this. The abject horror of the entire scene. I just imagine if the exact same events occurred except they are not cops.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I don't think I am prepared for the excuse why he should not be charged with murder.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Radish posted:

I don't think I am prepared for the excuse why he should not be charged with murder.

He was going for the taser! That poo poo will kill you man.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

MariusLecter posted:

He was going for the taser! That poo poo will kill you man.

It is a bizarre double speak that possession of an officer's taser is enough to justify being shot and killed then and there, but tasers never ever cause any deaths, only "spazzy shiftlessness" or whatever the fake terms is.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I think the idea is that criminals will taser a cop and then murder them when they are defenseless since killing cops is the goal of all non-police. When police tase people they are safely subdued and then brought in and certainly not killed by Excited Delirium.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
That situation seems incredibly hosed up. How could you even theoretically cooperate? A guy shows up at your house at 3:30 am, claims to be a cop but says he's looking for someone that doesn't live there, you tell him to come back with a warrant, then he kicks the door in and starts attacking you. Fighting back doesn't seem unreasonable at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Additionally if the homeowner had "won" that fight it would have gone incredibly badly for him afterward. If that cop gets away with it (and just losing his job is getting away with it) then the justice system is clearly stating that the lives of people subject to it can be taken away at any time with no repercussion. There's supposed to be a procedure for both the safety of the homeowner and the cop and if that can be totally circumvented by acting like a maniac then why even bother pretending anymore?

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 17, 2015

• Locked thread