Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

The thing dragging down Fallout 4 to me (beyond the fact that it runs kinda poorly on my PC) is that there seems to be a bug with switching weapons. Does anyone else get it? Sometimes when trying to switch weapons with my hotkeys, my weapon will be out away and then... nothing. My character just straight up won't pull out a weapon for some indeterminate amount of time. This got pretty fuckin dicey during my shootout I just had with ghouls trying to protect the police station.

I also noticed that if you switch weapons and then switch back to the first, it'll be completely reloaded. This is a lot faster than reloading some weapons, so I switch weapons frequently. As a result I'm getting the "no weapon is pulled out" bug fairly often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Geniasis posted:

At least you have something in common.

Re: Fallout; is the gameplay fun? Because I can deal with a hamfisted plot if it's fun.

It's not bad. It does have a weird problem with damage resistance. These unarmored civilians I had to shoot in the face for a quest took more bullets to the head to down and did five times as much damage than a whole squad of fully armored and armed super mutants. What the gently caress.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Don't act like you wouldn't play as a gay unicorn if the choice was provided to you. It's just not humanly possible to resist that.

Only if he has a deep, rugged, sexy Russian accent to fulfill all of my power fantasies.

Nuebot posted:

It's not bad. It does have a weird problem with damage resistance. These unarmored civilians I had to shoot in the face for a quest took more bullets to the head to down and did five times as much damage than a whole squad of fully armored and armed super mutants. What the gently caress.

Sounds like level scaling strikes again.

Dragging down game consoles: I recently got a WiiU. A few weeks later, the controller's battery is malfunctioning, so I want to take it apart and have a look at the sucker. Nintendo, however, absolutely adores tiny screws, we're talking the smallest available Phillips screwdriver, which I coincidentally don't have. Off to the hardware store this week, I suppose.

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013

Kaubocks posted:

The thing dragging down Fallout 4 to me (beyond the fact that it runs kinda poorly on my PC) is that there seems to be a bug with switching weapons. Does anyone else get it? Sometimes when trying to switch weapons with my hotkeys, my weapon will be out away and then... nothing. My character just straight up won't pull out a weapon for some indeterminate amount of time. This got pretty fuckin dicey during my shootout I just had with ghouls trying to protect the police station.

I also noticed that if you switch weapons and then switch back to the first, it'll be completely reloaded. This is a lot faster than reloading some weapons, so I switch weapons frequently. As a result I'm getting the "no weapon is pulled out" bug fairly often.

Workaround I found for it is to bring up your pip boy, unequip and requip your weapon and it should be good.

Geniasis posted:

Re: Fallout; is the gameplay fun? Because I can deal with a hamfisted plot if it's fun.
Bethesda's been iterating on the same formula for well over a decade at this point. Did you like Fallout 3, or do you like the Elder Scrolls games? If so you'll probably like this.

EmmyOk posted:

Does the infinite power of imagination not allow you to ignore the incredibly bare bones characterisation?

If my fanfcition isn't 100% canon compatible then what's the point?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Maybe they are saving the gay part of fallout for the DLC

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Yeah Bro posted:

The jerk store called. They've run out of you.

It's not that big a deal, though. You're their all-time best seller.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
"I cannot relate to the main characters in Fallout 4 because they aren't like me, a Goon!, this is unacceptable!!"

Anyway, the thing slightly dragging down Fallout 4 for me, at the moment, is that my fortified nation of Sanctuary doesn't come under attack very often, all I want is for my 20 gun and laser turrets to have something to shoot at, the band of 3 Radscorpions that dared invade my nation was a start, but I want more attacks!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

I think this is because it's loading the weapon's graphics. I find when I switch between weapons right after I start the game it takes a long time to switch to each one, then I can switch between them easily. You can then switch quickly because they're cached or whatever. But it will never be clear when the weapon's data is unloaded again and it will get you at a bad time.

The performance is getting to me too, in a lot of places it's pretty tolerable at something between 30-50 FPS and occasionally 60, but I was just at this factory place where the lighting or something made it absolutely chug on my machine. If I looked at the wrong part of the area I would go down to 10 FPS or less. It was an unfun slog to get through because of that.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Biggest thing I'm getting hit by is the degrading textures.

Left is just starting up, the right is about 20 minutes later.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
This Fallout game is a buggy piece of poo poo on release day! If only the divine providence of pattern recognition could in some way have prepared me for this and convinced me to wait a few weeks worth of patches before purchasing it so that I could play through it without a slew of game-breaking bugs ruining my experience!

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I posted this exact thing in the "Favourite things" thread but now it's here, dragging the game down.

It's about fallout 4, sorry. Nothing to do with playing a dad though.

As with every open world game Fallout 4 has borders to the map. First thing I did when I started out was to try and go "off map" to see if they had mountains or whatever to prevent you from leaving the game area or whatever. There isn't, there's an invisible wall instead. Fair enough, I thought nothing of it and carried on. Further into the game I began to explore a bit more in my power armour and the bottom left of the map is called "The Glowing Sea" and it's the area where the nuke hit in the opening cutscene.

Right in the VERY corner I found ground zero. A massive, highly radiated crater and it was pretty cool. Then I noticed on the mini-radar thing that there were other areas further south and further west. I don't know why, but this was so loving cool to me. Going further into this hostile and vile (but gorgeous and cool) wasteland outside of the "official" game world really kicked the feeling of exploration up a notch or two.

Hours later I advanced the main quest.

There's a mission to go to the crater. Then it points you to the section off map. It wasn't some cool and natural exploration facet at all. Just came off as... I don't know, just felt really great for it to be a naturally occurring bit of exploration but turned out not to be.

Like I went full Pacific Rim and went exploring the bottom of the ocean in my Power Armour too. Didn't find poo poo, but it was really great but I've got a feeling there IS something down there somewhere but we wont be trusted to find it ourselves.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Ramos posted:

Only if he has a deep, rugged, sexy Russian accent to fulfill all of my power fantasies.

Sounds like level scaling strikes again.

Dragging down game consoles: I recently got a WiiU. A few weeks later, the controller's battery is malfunctioning, so I want to take it apart and have a look at the sucker. Nintendo, however, absolutely adores tiny screws, we're talking the smallest available Phillips screwdriver, which I coincidentally don't have. Off to the hardware store this week, I suppose.

Are they at least using regular screws? I had to order special loving triwing screwdrivers to repair my DS.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Geniasis posted:

IMHO, it's more like Far Cry 3 + the Fallout Vault building phone game than it is like FO3 or Mass Effect.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

ChogsEnhour posted:

Like I went full Pacific Rim and went exploring the bottom of the ocean in my Power Armour too. Didn't find poo poo, but it was really great but I've got a feeling there IS something down there somewhere but we wont be trusted to find it ourselves.

Are there any underwater enemies in this one? I know they are mirelurks, but I wouldn't be surprised if Bethesda stopped them from swimming for whatever reason.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Croccers posted:

Biggest thing I'm getting hit by is the degrading textures.

Left is just starting up, the right is about 20 minutes later.

I had a problem like this where it would only give me LOD versions of textures and models like that and it looked awful, it was a pain to find a way to fix it.

Phoneposting so I don't have a link but there's an ENB download you can get (no ENB graphics effects it just has other stuff) that lets you tell the game you have more VRAM so it stops giving you trash textures. Completely fixed the problem for me.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Breetai posted:

This Fallout game is a buggy piece of poo poo on release day! If only the divine providence of pattern recognition could in some way have prepared me for this and convinced me to wait a few weeks worth of patches before purchasing it so that I could play through it without a slew of game-breaking bugs ruining my experience!

you seem like you feel very strongly about this

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Schnedwob posted:

Are there any underwater enemies in this one? I know they are mirelurks, but I wouldn't be surprised if Bethesda stopped them from swimming for whatever reason.

None that I found, but it was tense because I was expecting something to lurch out at me from the dark.

Completely forgot there was a perk that let you breath underwater, but slowly stomping along the seabed was way cooler anyway.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Kaubocks posted:

Thats because FO4 is very important.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

oldpainless posted:

Thats because FO4 is very important.

It's gaming history, the worlds first tree-house building simulator. :iia:

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe

Deport The Irish posted:

You can build foundations to flatten an area for putting a building on. You're still p hosed if you want to build a fence around your compound though.

There are also a few huge areas to build with wide open spaces, the drive-in and castle come to mind.

In general I like the game. I'm playing on the one difficulty below survival, and get into dicey axe-fights with supermutants. It's usually smooth sailing with regular MOBs, and any of the named/legendary require using terrain, traps, and the right weapon for the job. I like the locations, each one tells its own little story.

Making settlements gets painful though, the limiter is getting frustrated. I like the idea of pooling resources, so I spent 3 lvls, and got the local leader perk only to find out you have to assign people to trade routes. That was a kick to the dick for sure. You also are railroaded into specific things, there re no real alternate ways to finish quests. you either take it and do exactly what they say, or just choose to not do it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah I am level 12 and have yet to see a quest with more options than "do it" or "don't do it". You can control your tone when you say yes or no but that's it. Hopefully the main quest has more options.

I didn't like new vegas after a single playthrough because it's such a dinosaur to actually play and incredibly boring but it did seem to have much more thought put into options. I am also missing all of NV's and FO3's dialogue options that were dependent on your skills besides charisma (skill points are gone but they could still just use SPECIAL for this). Seems like there's much less dialogue, even if what's there is animated and voiced in a less appallingly boring way than in FO3 and new vegas.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
So based on what people are telling me, I'll most likely enjoy it a lot, but maybe wait a month or two for patches or mods that deal with some of the more annoying quirks.

Edit: Bethesda 101, essentially.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Yeah Bro posted:

"Should we invite Chris to our party?"
"Best not, he doesn't make up pretend stories about being a catgirl while playing 2011's GOTY Skyrim."

God forbid people role play in a roleplaying game. Who would do such a thing, it's only the entire reason the genre was invented and the source of its name. Without that element you're just playing an action or strategy game that is slower and clunkier than normal for no reason.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Yeah I am level 12 and have yet to see a quest with more options than "do it" or "don't do it". You can control your tone when you say yes or no but that's it. Hopefully the main quest has more options.

I'pm only level 8, but I've found one so far!

It's outside some diner to the south of Red Rocket, and some drug dealers are trying to kill the owner cause her son owes them money. You have a few options:
Kill her for the dealers
Talk to her for the dealers to get her to pay
Kill the dealers

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Can I tout my good Samaritan wealth and pay them for her?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Woolie Wool posted:

God forbid people role play in a roleplaying game. Who would do such a thing, it's only the entire reason the genre was invented and the source of its name.

What?

I've got three words for you that prove you wrong.

But thou must.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

God forbid people role play in a roleplaying game. Who would do such a thing, it's only the entire reason the genre was invented and the source of its name. Without that element you're just playing an action or strategy game that is slower and clunkier than normal for no reason.
No it isn't. You can play pretend in action and strategy games too, it has nothing to do with RPGs' roots in skirmish-level wargaming and tabletop roleplaying. You can in fact do it with notepad and some action figures using the power of imagination. Good RPGs do allow actual roleplaying through interaction with the game's systems and meaningful consequences for your character build, skills and choices. Bethesda games leave a gaping void where you're explicitly just making up stuff that isn't happening, you could just as easily come up with a traumatic backstory for your space marine in Doom and enjoy playing a good game at the same time.

It's okay if you enjoy Bethesda games and telling yourself stories about how your magic cat person used to be the Thane of Whiterun's housecat before the magic accident and that's why you leave rat meat at the foot of his bed every night, but you don't need to claim that no RPG has ever had meaningful role-playing systems to justify it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Some of the decisions in Fallout 4 don't drag the game down so much as just completely baffle me. Like, you have a voiced character and dialogue wheels. ok whatever. It's not what I think Fallout should have but we never got fun games by being married to convention. The game starts in the 50s-esque dystopia which was in the series purely to be backstory for a post-nuclear adventure. Fine I suppose. It can start wherever, and the fact that I don't care about the pre-war world or want to play as someone from there is just being married to convention again probably. The intro is narrated by the main character and is a bit gloomy for Fallout, but CONVENTION never mind. He starts by saying "war never changes" and ends by saying "war never changes" then it fades into character creation which is the main character looking in a bathroom mirror saying "war never changes" again, and you can change at this point to not playing as the main character any more but as his wife and not be the main character for the whole rest of the game, but if you stay as the main character you look at your old army uniform and say "heh, I guess war never changes" AGAIN and you wander around your suburban house muttering to yourself the whole time, "Nuka Cola ice cold, 100% value of sugar, the robot was a good thing to buy, god bless america spin the mobile the baby loves it" and then speak with the vault tec guy and when you skip dialogue the main character SAYS OUT LOUD "uh huh, mm-hmm, yeah" like he's hurrying them on, and then the bombs drop and you run to the vault, with a crowd of people trying to get in and you say "my family's on the list let us in" and if you're playing a hero you can't like, try convincing them to let more people in and if you're playing an rear end in a top hat you can't go "suck it losers you're gonna die and I'm not" the other people are just props that exist and you ignore them completely, then you get frozen and you wake up to your wife's corpse and you tearfully go "I'm going to get the people who did this to you" and then you see a locked container with a cryo gun and you say "nice, I'm gonna come back for you" all of this being dialogue that gets activated when you look at something rather than something you choose to say, and then you take a pip boy off a skeleton and put it on your wrist for no reason and leave the vault, and it's already spiralled into completely nonsensical insanity and the actual game hasn't even started yet! It just blows my mind not only that they made this intro and thought "yes, people will love this" but that people actually DID love it! Occam's Razor would dictate that it must be me who has the mental illness.

EDIT: Also while you're customising your character both the main character and his wife are complimenting each other's looks the whole time. There's so much lunacy packed into the opening 15 minutes that I can't remember it all. And yes, I am melting down.

2house2fly has a new favorite as of 19:58 on Nov 16, 2015

Veotax
May 16, 2006

2house2fly posted:

And yes, I am melting down.

I couldn't tell.

And your character saying "Yeah, uh huh" when you skip dialogue is great.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Woolie Wool posted:

Role playing games are called that because of their roots in tabletop role playing games you dolt, the role playing games that actually allow and encourage actual role playing are so few and far between you can practically count them on one hand.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

2house2fly posted:

Some of the decisions in Fallout 4 don't drag the game down so much as just completely baffle me. Like, you have a voiced character and dialogue wheels. ok whatever. It's not what I think Fallout should have but we never got fun games by being married to convention. The game starts in the 50s-esque dystopia which was in the series purely to be backstory for a post-nuclear adventure. Fine I suppose. It can start wherever, and the fact that I don't care about the pre-war world or want to play as someone from there is just being married to convention again probably. The intro is narrated by the main character and is a bit gloomy for Fallout, but CONVENTION never mind. He starts by saying "war never changes" and ends by saying "war never changes" then it fades into character creation which is the main character looking in a bathroom mirror saying "war never changes" again, and you can change at this point to not playing as the main character any more but as his wife and not be the main character for the whole rest of the game, but if you stay as the main character you look at your old army uniform and say "heh, I guess war never changes" AGAIN and you wander around your suburban house muttering to yourself the whole time, "Nuka Cola ice cold, 100% value of sugar, the robot was a good thing to buy, god bless america spin the mobile the baby loves it" and then speak with the vault tec guy and when you skip dialogue the main character SAYS OUT LOUD "uh huh, mm-hmm, yeah" like he's hurrying them on, and then the bombs drop and you run to the vault, with a crowd of people trying to get in and you say "my family's on the list let us in" and if you're playing a hero you can't like, try convincing them to let more people in and if you're playing an rear end in a top hat you can't go "suck it losers you're gonna die and I'm not" the other people are just props that exist and you ignore them completely, then you get frozen and you wake up to your wife's corpse and you tearfully go "I'm going to get the people who did this to you" and then you see a locked container with a cryo gun and you say "nice, I'm gonna come back for you" all of this being dialogue that gets activated when you look at something rather than something you choose to say, and then you take a pip boy off a skeleton and put it on your wrist for no reason and leave the vault, and it's already spiralled into completely nonsensical insanity and the actual game hasn't even started yet! It just blows my mind not only that they made this intro and thought "yes, people will love this" but that people actually DID love it! Occam's Razor would dictate that it must be me who has the mental illness.

EDIT: Also while you're customising your character both the main character and his wife are complimenting each other's looks the whole time. There's so much lunacy packed into the opening 15 minutes that I can't remember it all. And yes, I am melting down.

Bolded the two important bits.

e:

To add something about FO4 of my own. I went into it having avoided any and all media about it, and I'm loving it so far. Thing is, I had two settlements (Red Rocket Truckshop and Sanctuary) and on my way to the third I came across a really, really awesome location that was looking forward to gearing out after clearing it of the raiders that build their poo poo there. It's the bit on the upper two decks of the raised highway, with two huge windmills. It looks absolutely perfect for an early setup.

That's when I learned that you can only settle predefined locations. :smith:

Taeke has a new favorite as of 20:58 on Nov 16, 2015

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
itt the mentally ill melt down over being a married character in a videogame

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008
I like the part where he assumes the guy is the main character even after the part where he dies and isn't in the game anymore if you play as a woman. :psyduck:

Here I thought I was over invested in this dumb game with how many hours I've already put into it. Thanks for making me feel relatively sane in comparison.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I said that to highlight the weirdness of it. The guy narrates the intro but then you can choose to play as a woman and the guy who narrated the intro and was set up as the main character dies, so why bother having him narrate the intro. It's just one facet of the incredible bizarreness which permeates the beginning of the game.

EDIT: I don't know that it's such a sign of being overly invested in a game to type out a sequence of events which take place over fifteen minutes. It's much more concerning that I'm watching Internet personality Dark Syde Phil play through it.

2house2fly has a new favorite as of 21:17 on Nov 16, 2015

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

2house2fly posted:

It's much more concerning that I'm watching Internet personality Dark Syde Phil play through it.
Yeah, uh... you might want to get that checked out, that isn't healthy.

also, the Fallout intro should have been narrated by Ron Perlman but it's not and now Fallout is ruined forever

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I agree with the crazy man.
I heard the red dwarf laugh track all through that rant.

Fallout 3's war never changes felt forced and awful. Like at the end at that stupid loving ending ron perlman is all "welp, war never changes" like he's just the physical embodiment of the good guy riding off into the sunset but looking back and waving to the saved village children cheering him on during that line reading made my eyes roll so hard I janked my neck and needed a brace for a week.

At this point just let it be the banner message for one of twenty loading screens and leave it alone.

Krinkle has a new favorite as of 21:26 on Nov 16, 2015

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Tiggum posted:

You must not enjoy many video games. I guess basic FPSes like Rise of the Triad, or puzzle/strategy games are OK, but anything with a story is going to be a problem.

There are these things called "genres", you see, that are defined by how they appeal to players (it's much less about the details of mechanics than people think). Not wanting a defined character for an open world CRPG and wanting a defined character for a narrative driven action adventure game are not mutually exclusive.

Also Fallout New Vegas, introduces the plot through Benny, who is perfectly calculated to make you hate his guts and want to get even with the smug fucker.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

No it isn't. You can play pretend in action and strategy games too, it has nothing to do with RPGs' roots in skirmish-level wargaming and tabletop roleplaying. You can in fact do it with notepad and some action figures using the power of imagination. Good RPGs do allow actual roleplaying through interaction with the game's systems and meaningful consequences for your character build, skills and choices. Bethesda games leave a gaping void where you're explicitly just making up stuff that isn't happening, you could just as easily come up with a traumatic backstory for your space marine in Doom and enjoy playing a good game at the same time.

It's okay if you enjoy Bethesda games and telling yourself stories about how your magic cat person used to be the Thane of Whiterun's housecat before the magic accident and that's why you leave rat meat at the foot of his bed every night, but you don't need to claim that no RPG has ever had meaningful role-playing systems to justify it.

Most of the job of providing the context for role playing was the game master's job (also his job to keep power players from loving it up). The imagination and talent of the game master makes or breaks a tabletop RPG. The idea of Bethesda RPGs of the past (not necessarily reality, but the idea) since Daggerfall is that they give you this big world where you can do almost anything and give you a completely optional main plot and tell you to make your own fantasy hero and do your own fantasy adventure, basically GMing yourself with the help of some basic mechanics. It trades depth for breadth so you can roleplay in ways other than "do you want to hit people or set them on fire" or "red, green, or blue". This is the reason people Re drawn to Bethesda RPGs and they hosed it up.

And no you cannot roleplay in Doom because your imagination of whom the Doomguy is has no bearing on what you do in the game, the only thing to do being shooting monsters until you find the exit switch. Therefore no one bothers roleplaying in Doom, there is no charges, and most FPS games that want more context give you a static character and on rails plot. There is no point to creating your own B.J. Blazkowicz.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Kaubocks posted:

I'm just amused at the fact that this has happened twice in a row previously and is happening yet again, but nerds just gotta preorder/download on the day it drops and then complain that they're having a substandard experience again somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008
Do you guys get really mad about the fact that things like Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger are categorized as RPGs too?