Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So sugar guy is basically like a massively gimped Midoriya. What a lovely power; I can't imagine that becoming stronger at the cost of your intelligence would be that useful in hero work.

How was Midnight glued in place? He got some balls on her, but I didn't see any that where connecting her feet to the ground or something, and she doesn't have to hold onto the whip.

edit: If that 5x power boost stacks, I guess it could be potentially useful against some super strong villain if there are other heroes around to rein him in.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Was there any part of that chapter that didn't kick rear end?

Besides three of the best characters blowing their shot at appearing in the next arc. Fair ye well, Kaminari, Mina, and Kirishima. And Satou too I guess. His power seems prettydope

Ytlaya posted:

So sugar guy is basically like a massively gimped Midoriya. What a lovely power; I can't imagine that becoming stronger at the cost of your intelligence would be that useful in hero work.

edit: If that 5x power boost stacks, I guess it could be potentially useful against some super strong villain if there are other heroes around to rein him in.

I think it probably stacks, since they say every ten grams = 5x power. The problem is that taking too much sugar from his blood will make him go hypoglycemic.

You can use glucose gels (or just sugary food in general) to remedy low blood sugar, but it still takes 5-30 minutes for the effects to kick in depending on metabolism and sugar levels. So, he's not so great for battles of attrition, like Clementoss said.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 16, 2015

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Vengarr posted:

Was there any part of that chapter that didn't kick rear end?

Besides three of the best characters blowing their shot at appearing in the next arc. Fair ye well, Kaminari, Mina, and Kirishima. And Satou too I guess. His power seems prettydope

There's going to be a wacky hijinks subplot where those four try to sneak their way into the lodge I bet.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I've got some serious sympathy for Satou 's parents. Can you imagine raising a four-year-old who doesn't just get hyperactive when they have sugar, they also become super strong and get dumber?

Also we are totally getting a hijinks subplot. Or maybe they get the main plot, and the cabin is the sideplot.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Waffleman_ posted:

My Hero Academia: WHOAAAAAA, BABY!!

Also, the official translation obviously doesn't use "gently caress."

"Screwed! I'm screwed like no one's been screwed before!"
TL notes say that he is literally using a romanized "gently caress!" complete with censorship.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel bad for Kirishima/Satou. I can't think of any way they could have possibly won against cement dude. Both of their powers are very straightforward and give little room for creative tactics, and there's no way for them to maneuver around cement guy's walls.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Does he become dumber the way Kaminari does or does he just start to pass out? It seems like the latter considering he's talking about how he's sleepy.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
They could've probably managed if they hadn't focused in punching through the obstacles in favor of, dunno, parkouring?

DoubleDonut posted:

Does he become dumber the way Kaminari does or does he just start to pass out? It seems like the latter considering he's talking about how he's sleepy.
Probably low blood sugar, like Vengarr said. Slower to think and react, but not actually dumber per se.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Fabricated posted:

TL notes say that he is literally using a romanized "gently caress!" complete with censorship.

Yeah I was just saying what the official translation did with it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Ytlaya posted:

How was Midnight glued in place? He got some balls on her, but I didn't see any that where connecting her feet to the ground or something, and she doesn't have to hold onto the whip.

He glued her hand to the whip and the whip to the ground.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Clearly the best strategy was to have Sugar Man spiral throw a hardened Kirishima straight through the exit, like some kind of Super Dodge Ball.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I'm not really sure what they were expecting them to do against Cementoss. His ability is ridiculous in an urban area.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Ytlaya posted:

I feel bad for Kirishima/Satou. I can't think of any way they could have possibly won against cement dude. Both of their powers are very straightforward and give little room for creative tactics, and there's no way for them to maneuver around cement guy's walls.

I thought they were going to do the Fastball Special to be honest. Kirishima is indestructible, just toss him OVER the gate if you have to.

DoubleDonut posted:

You do eventually pass out if your blood sugar gets low enough, but first comes a period of altered mental status, lack of focus and coordination, nausea and vomiting, that kind of thing.

People can become very combative and violent too, so it's not inconceivable he could keep fighting in that situation. Like a punch-drunk boxer though, not very well.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Also I really liked how Twinkling's hero glasses were sucked up to show how matter can also be destroyed and you can still see the marks around his eyes where he wore the glasses

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

That was so much fun. As for Mineta: Pervy Archetype or not, I love the kid. He's got heart and a well defined goal, even if it is looking cool and touching on ladies. That said, while I liked what went down even more, did anyone else expect Mineta to draw Midnight away and distract her long enough for Sero to wake up and just waltz out the front door?

I'm surprised some students actually failed though. I don't want them to miss out on the lodge! D:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm a bit disappointed we didn't see the matches of Iida and Hagakure's teams. Iida did just get an arc that focused on him so I guess he didn't need the screentime, but Ojiro had gotten some slight focus before and I wanted to see what he could pull off. The idea that the match was about removing the footing of the two heroes that probably relied on movement the most was pretty cool though. On the other hand Hagakure's challenge seemed especially in her favour, the invisible girl has to avoid detection and I suppose Shouji covers her. It doesn't really feel like it would be that difficult for them.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

On the other hand, it doesn't literally rip him apart from the inside whenever he uses it. Which is nice.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Satou's quirk is pretty underwhelming IMO. I appreciate that it'd be entirely probable for someone in this world to end up with a power like that, but I'm not sure he does the narrative any favors by being a character of focus. Kohei talks about wanting to show him off but finding it difficult to do so and I can't say I blame him.

Anyway, seems the problem between him and Kirishima is a lack of lateral thinking. The two of them were matched against someone with an overwhelming power advantage in order to force them to think critically, but it seems they just tried to brute force it. Should've tried something like...

DoubleDonut posted:

Clearly the best strategy was to have Sugar Man spiral throw a hardened Kirishima straight through the exit, like some kind of Super Dodge Ball.
...yeah, that.

Disappointed we didn't get to see Iida and Ojiro's fight, but I guess the two of them have received enough development that it wasn't really a priority. Shame about Hagakure and Shouji's though. Tangentially, glad to see this chapter confirmed Sero took one for the team off-screen. I've really come to like that guy, so I'd be down on it if he just got chumped "Because."

Go Mineta. Achieve your dreams. Maybe don't do anything that'll get you shipped off to juvenile hall though.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Oh yeah, I was too distracted by Mineta hype and forgot the other matchups.

Really disappointed we didn't see more of Shouji and Hagakure. Is the shrouded figure to the left of Shouji supposed to be a silhouette of Hagakure, or just a shadow? I hope Horikoshi's just saving them for another spotlight moment.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I'll be real here and say I wouldn't mind Satou getting dropped/shuffled to some other class in favor of another character getting transferred to the department of heroics - which they've already confirmed is a thing that can happen.

I dunno, maybe I'm just being harsh, but eh, he's kind of the odd one out in the class.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Bad Seafood posted:

I'll be real here and say I wouldn't mind Satou getting dropped/shuffled to some other class in favor of another character getting transferred to the department of heroics - which they've already confirmed is a thing that can happen.

I dunno, maybe I'm just being harsh, but eh, he's kind of the odd one out in the class.

You should wait to see if he gets to have a personality and do things before writing him off as worthless imo

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I think that would be a pretty cool perspective, though. Satou has what would normally be a really powerful quirk - multiplying his strength - but there's already several others in class with incredible physical aptitude, and even one with a power multiplier even greater than his, which also happens to be our main character. I'd rather have at least some sort of arc where he might deal with that he really is on the bottom rung. I mean the dude failed where freaking Mineta succeeded.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Yeah, isn't this the first panel he's had any prominence in?

Not sure if this necessarily needs tags given the minor role he played even in this chapter, but in defense of the guy: I like that he looks pretty buff even without his quirk. I think he's got potential. I want to see him take down some mooks then get wailed on by a villain only to get a badass chapter-ending two-page spread where he one shots them after eating a candy bar or something.

EDIT: I'm not being entirely contrary though, I do agree that it's a pretty underwhelming quirk, especially compared to Midoriya and the rest of the class' pretty unique ones. I just Believe in Horikoshi and think if anyone can make him worthwhile, it's this mangaka.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I want Tetsu, Kirishima, Sugar Man, and Tail Man to team up and have really straightforward fist fights with really straightforward villains

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I think Satou's fine even if he's kind of uninspired because it's probably a good idea to round out the extended core cast with some more grounded and normal characters, at least by the standards of a manga where the gimmick is everyone has some zany gimmick.

edit: Like take the guy from chapter one who seems to have some kind of construction/traffic theme. He's probably a hero with some sort of regular strength quirk and isn't "flashy," but is a necessary sort of hero for this universe where hero is a profession.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I really want Navel guy's thing to be that he goes full Joseph on everyone with very little or no explanation as to how he reads people's minds. Like they think something then he goes "You were thinking this, weren't you?" then he can pose and sparkle like a Jojo character. Also I'm In Control should inexplicably play every time he does it. Even in the manga.

Also just seriously enjoyed the chapter. Didn't think it was possible for the manga to make me not hate Grape guy but there you go!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Quirks gotta have drawbacks. Satou would've been a standout if we didn't have Midoriya in the class who will be rocking Saitama levels of neigh-invulnerability and strength when he figures his quirk out.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

As for Mineta: Pervy Archetype or not, I love the kid. He's got heart and a well defined goal, even if it is looking cool and touching on ladies.

They're teenagers, it'd honestly be conspicuous by its absence as a motivation.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Hopeford posted:

I really want Navel guy's thing to be that he goes full Joseph on everyone with very little or no explanation as to how he reads people's minds. Like they think something then he goes "You were thinking this, weren't you?" then he can pose and sparkle like a Jojo character. Also I'm In Control should inexplicably play every time he does it. Even in the manga.

I think Aoyama might turn out to be a mole for the Villain Alliance. He is the only one whose actions during USJ are not accounted for, and his panel where he was asking about Deku just made him look sinister. His sense of style and his actions are gaudy and over-the-top, which oddly makes for the perfect cover. He preemptively deflected any questions about where he was during USJ by jumping out and yelling "WANT TO KNOW WHERE I WAS?! ...It's a secret", and he's demonstrated pretty keen intelligence and insight at times, despite his veneer of self-absorbed stupidity.

This chapter's title is "Scratch the Veneer"...

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Well, the author has given thought to the idea of similar quirks existing in the setting already, so I doubt the basic similarities between Satou and Deku - ie, super strength - have escaped him. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there ended up being a Plastic Man/Elongated Man thing going between them, particularly in the vein of the Justice comic - ie, where one angsts about how he doesn't compare to the more popular/more powerful, and the other points out there's no One Steve limit when it comes to superheroes and their powers.

At the very least, I wouldn't be surprised if they had a moment where they establish some trouble where only someone with incredible strength can possibly save the day, and Deku is down for the count. All hope seems lost... and then there's Satou, walking up with a bottle of ginger beer.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Sad that Ashido and Kaminari failed. They just were not good enough thinkers.

I actully do kind of hope that we have an arc focusing on the students who failed. Three of the 4 failing students are popular after all.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Sad that Ashido and Kaminari failed. They just were not good enough thinkers.

I actully do kind of hope that we have an arc focusing on the students who failed. Three of the 4 failing students are popular after all.
We better. Failure can be an amazing motivator. Turn those two kids from not even trying to outthink a stronger opponent to always trying to do so.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Astro Nut posted:

Well, the author has given thought to the idea of similar quirks existing in the setting already, so I doubt the basic similarities between Satou and Deku - ie, super strength - have escaped him. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there ended up being a Plastic Man/Elongated Man thing going between them, particularly in the vein of the Justice comic - ie, where one angsts about how he doesn't compare to the more popular/more powerful, and the other points out there's no One Steve limit when it comes to superheroes and their powers.

At the very least, I wouldn't be surprised if they had a moment where they establish some trouble where only someone with incredible strength can possibly save the day, and Deku is down for the count. All hope seems lost... and then there's Satou, walking up with a bottle of ginger beer.
Well, being rendered kinda dumb for super-strength is a sight less bothersome than powdering your bones.

But the whole "What the gently caress does 5%/100% of Midoriya's power mean" thing clouds it a bit. Like, 5% of All Might as he is right now (nearly dead) should basically let Midoriya punch your soul clean out of your body but people without damage absorbing powers seem to be able to nearly no-sell that poo poo somehow.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So, some kids actually failed. For Kirishima and Satou I think the thing is they were supposed to not fight him in a battle of attrition, like he called them out on, but instead use tactics and perhaps take him on from multiple directions instead of getting stuck together and repeatedly breaking through his barriers. Work smart, not hard.

The ones I personally think were just completely outmatched were Ashido and Kaminari; while theirs was probably a similar idea (put the two worst students academically against the brilliant principal and make them figure out how to escape), it was stacked extremely heavily against them. Kaminari's power was nigh-useless, and while Ashido's rather maneuverable, as that one chapter a little while back shows, they were facing off against a genius who steadily eliminated their ways out. I suppose a challenge of "use your brains" is somewhat fitting for two of the dumber members of the class, but, it's not particularly fair against the principal.

As for Shouji and Hagakure, their contest was basically, as Deku said, hide and seek; Snipe obviously fights from a distance, so he'd be evading them and attacking from far away, while Shouji uses his sharp senses to pinpoint his location and direct Hagakure so she can sneak in without being detected and capture him. Or out the door but I presume Snipe had a plan for keeping the invisible girl from just walking out.

Also, I liked the new villains' reactions to Shigaraki at the end. The dude with the rotting/burned flesh calls him "creepy as hell", and the Stain fangirl refers to him as "hand dude", which I'm pretty sure is what a lot of people here called him before we learned his name. That amused me a bit.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 17, 2015

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Roland Jones posted:

As for Ojiro and Hagakure, their contest was basically, as Deku said, hide and seek; Snipe obviously fights from a distance, so he'd be evading them and attacking from far away, while Ojiro uses his sharp senses to pinpoint his location and direct Hagakure so she can sneak in without being detected and capture him. Or out the door but I presume Snipe had a plan for keeping the invisible girl from just walking out.

Ojiro was with Iida. Hagakure was teamed with Shouji.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
If the Principal is allowed to bring a crane, Mina and Kaminari should've been allowed to bring someone with a brain

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Ojiro was with Iida. Hagakure was teamed with Shouji.

Whoops, yeah, mixed up the "ji" names there. I thought something was wrong there.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I think you can see a vague shadow of Hagakure in the smoke. I want to know what her actual quirk is pretty badly.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

DoubleDonut posted:

You should wait to see if he gets to have a personality and do things before writing him off as worthless imo
I probably should, and I'll admit I'm kinda in a bad mood today anyway due to real life shenanigans.

That said, of the core cast he and Anima have gone the longest receiving any sort of limelight or even incidental focus, only just now getting any real attention. Anima managed to impress and endear himself, Satou didn't - at least not to me. Kohei mentioned in his author's notes he was having difficulty placing the guy, and seeing him in action I think I understand why. Given Kohei has 18/19 characters (actually way more than that but we're just talking about Class A) who already "Work" and are well-received in his weekly publication that doubtless keeps him pretty busy, I can't say I feel Satou's gonna get much of a fair shake after this. I could be wrong, and if so I'd welcome it - I enjoy it when authors take a character I don't think I'll like and transform them into something more - I'm just sharing my immediate impressions.

From another angle, the point of my post was simply to say Kohei's already built himself a safety net for scrapping and replacing characters who don't "Work," assuming he can't or doesn't fix them. It's a common enough problem in shounen for the author to introduce more characters than they know what to do with, but typically that results in killing them off or keeping them around without letting them do anything. Kohei has a third option open to him is all I'm saying.

But yeah, I totally own up to jumping to conclusions. Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

The ones I personally think were just completely outmatched were Ashido and Kaminari; while theirs was probably a similar idea (put the two worst students academically against the brilliant principal and make them figure out how to escape), it was stacked extremely heavily against them. Kaminari's power was nigh-useless, and while Ashido's rather maneuverable, as that one chapter a little while back shows, they were facing off against a genius who steadily eliminated their ways out. I suppose a challenge of "use your brains" is somewhat fitting for two of the dumber members of the class, but, it's not particularly fair against the principal.
The principal's reliance on machines could've easily been his undoing. While Ashido's limits are yet undefined, it's possible she could've used her acid to strike at the sensitive inner workings of the crane, neutering it. Likewise, while I'm not certain of the science behind it, electricity is often used in movies, comics, and video games to overpower, overload, and break down machinery.