Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
re: refugee status and free passage between states:

Thanks y'all, time to pull an Honest Abe on my Idiot-American acquaintances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2015/11/16/3722628/no-state-governors-cant-refuse-to-accept-syrian-refugees/

Short version:

Hines v. Davidowitz "the supremacy of the national power in the general field of foreign affairs, including power over immigration, naturalization and deportation, is made clear by the Constitution.”

+

Refugee Act of 1980 - refugees who face “persecution or a well-founded fear of persecution on account of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion” during an “unforeseen emergency refugee situation” are admitted at the President's discretion

=

"States have the right to suck it" - Abraham Lincoln, 1860

It's the same poo poo with immigration. State politicians are powerless to address this extremely hot button issue and they want in on the game so they start doing things that are either redundant, illegal or useless so they can get ink and look tough on Whatever because probably most voters could give a poo poo about state politics.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

thats whats hosed, its the banality of it. Those civilians are real people. not loving NPCs that make your score go down in a video game. people with families and stuff. gently caress cruz.

And much of his base won't think twice about it because they honestly believe that all Muslims are terrorists anyway, so what even is a Muslim "civilian" to them?

So yeah, gently caress Cruz.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Senf posted:

And much of his base won't think twice about it because they honestly believe that all Muslims are terrorists anyway, so what even is a Muslim "civilian" to them?

So yeah, gently caress Cruz.

yeah. I mean i am fine with hitting dudes with guns/arms/terrorists with drone strikes as long as it has all the proper over-site and keeps civilian casualties minimal. but cruz basically wants to do away with ROE completely. thats what makes of us somewhat better then ISIS/russia/assad/israel. we dont just blow up civvies because they are in the way. I mean we do, but its usually a massive gently caress up on our part/ or some nutjob who lost his poo poo.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Talmonis posted:

Bigotry did not come into the quoted statement that I responded to. Bigotry is unacceptable, and is what is going to happen when more innocent people are massacred. What radbot did was compare it to auto accidents and mock anyone who worries about Paris happening here as "quivering cowards." It's macho bullshit, and you can gently caress right off with it.

The quivering cowards are the people willing to throw away what makes them French (or American) to try (and fail) to exterminate a religion/ideology. I don't think it's particularly macho to say "maybe we shouldn't go to war in the Middle East again, and relinquish our civil liberties, over what a few assholes did.", though it's telling that you do.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Dapper_Swindler posted:

wow, what exactly were they protesting?

Reminds me of this quote:

quote:

The surest way to work up a crusade in favor of some good cause is to promise people they will have a chance of maltreating someone. To be able to destroy with good conscience, to be able to behave badly and call your bad behavior 'righteous indignation'

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

But who would build such a device, something able to keep time for clearly terrorist ends... My god.

gently caress, where's that kid from Texas? oh god oh god

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Accretionist posted:

Reminds me of this quote:

no poo poo, But i am honestly curious what were they protesting? did the college library have bigoted policies? because all its done so far is making me think less of them. which probably makes me sound like a dickhead.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

no poo poo, But i am honestly curious what were they protesting? did the college library have bigoted policies? because all its done so far is making me think less of them. which probably makes me sound like a dickhead.

it's from the "college conservative newspaper" so it probably never happened

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Huge piece of poo poo literally says 'awesome' to 9/11, but realizes that's hosed up when an actress she likes dies.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Nathan Deal wrote a letter to Obama saying GA won't accept them either. I hate this state sometimes.

http://news.wabe.org/post/gov-nathan-deal-georgia-wont-take-syrian-refugees

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

whitey delenda est posted:

re: refugee status and free passage between states:

Thanks y'all, time to pull an Honest Abe on my Idiot-American acquaintances.

I look forward to a "serious" right wing talking head calling for internal border controls. :commissar:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

it's from the "college conservative newspaper" so it probably never happened
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJAuVQlLxD0
actualy it might have.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
As a counter offer to the refugees, I've got a spare room with attached bathroom and in apartment full sized washer and dryer; No smoking (my rule) no pets (apt complex rules). Make half rent & utilities and it's yours until the lease is up.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

I look forward to a "serious" right wing talking head calling for internal border controls. :commissar:

Well you see the Confederacy had an internal passport system and --

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I'm marvelling at the disconnect between "If those Frenchmen just had some guns, they could blow all the terrorists away!" and "OH GOD NO TERRORISTS HERE NOPE."

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Trabisnikof posted:

Chris Christie's got you beat on that front already, wants all immigrants to be LoJacked.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Depose the House of Saud, in my opinion. We aren't nearly as dependent on their oil as we used to be.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

There's what, maybe a dozen protestors there? Clearly Higher Education Has Gone Mad!

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

JT Jag posted:

Depose the House of Saud, in my opinion. We aren't nearly as dependent on their oil as we used to be.

Yeah, we're supporting them so China can get most of their oil anyway.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

In other lighter news, let's check back in with collegechat, and why random white people in a library are practically the evilest people on earth:

So, in summary, if you're white and have to study in a library, which I don't understand why you would even attempt something like that at a university you dumb white slavemasters, please remember:

You're a filthy white gently caress
You're a racist poo poo
You're also probably a filthy white bitch (how many are would vary from campus to campus)
Don't cry because gently caress your white tears
When entering and exiting the library please kneel and and proclaim Black Lives Matter at the appointed White Guilt station

* If you have any questions or suggestions please go gently caress yourself.

I'm glad someone is here to constantly remind us of who the real racists are. You're doing good work, my friend. D&D is too chickenshit to say the real truth: white people are the most persecuted in this country

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Lessail posted:

I'm glad someone is here to constantly remind us of who the real racists are. You're doing good work, my friend. D&D is too chickenshit to say the real truth: white people are the most persecuted in this country

It's true, and as a white male the only protection I feel I have is to horde guns.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

zoux posted:

It's the same poo poo with immigration. State politicians are powerless to address this extremely hot button issue and they want in on the game so they start doing things that are either redundant, illegal or useless so they can get ink and look tough on Whatever because probably most voters could give a poo poo about state politics.

Not only that but the US is party to ratified treaties regarding visa waivers. The law Rand Paul is pushing is, by definition, unconstitutional.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

A Winner is Jew posted:

It's true, and as a white male the only protection I feel I have is to horde guns.

I fear for the response against the radicalized white male in the wake of these Paris attacks. Sadly, all white males are easily converted to radicalization :(

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

There's a right-wing anti-immigration party in the Finnish government right now and they are using the exact same tactic these Republicans are: demand action that is blatantly unconstitutional, illegal or in violation of existing international treaties, and never make any substantive proposals to actually amend the constitution, the law, or said international treaties. Their policy proposals are nothing but incoherent screeching, but it's important because they need to be seen as doing something by their constituents, and the something needs to be completely out of the realm of possible so that it has no danger of actually happening, and they can accuse their opponents of obstructionism.

This includes a purposeful misrepresentation of what the Dublin Treaty is, whether the constitution allows you to discriminate between people on their basis of immigration, accusing asylum seekers of being "illegal intruders" (when the law explicitly allows them to arrive without ID to seek asylum), and demanding border controls to "stem the tide of asylum seekers" when an asylum application can be made at the border on the spot.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Nov 16, 2015

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Mulva posted:

The law Rand Paul is pushing is, by definition, unconstitutional.

Nothing new there.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

drat, the turnaround on this new Vitter ad is insane.
https://twitter.com/DavidVitter/status/666369451416092672

Anyway I think the messaging battle of "Syrian refugees =/= ISIS fighters" has already been lost.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
On that tack, would ISIS go so far as to time an attack during the election year to ensure a Republican wave and response?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Talmonis posted:

On that tack, would ISIS go so far as to time an attack during the election year to ensure a Republican wave and response?

I don't think that's a "go so far" issue as much as a "oh yeah that's definitely something they would do."

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Talmonis posted:

maybe. depends where they hit.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Republicans in Congress threaten government shutdown over refugee issue.

Jesus loving christ.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Didn't Bin Laden release a tape as an October surprise in 2004?

It's simultaneously depressing and awe-inspiring to see how a bunch of men with guns can make grown men in charge of the most powerful country in the world quake in their boots.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Talmonis posted:

I don't understand. You mean you were expecting someone other than President Trump?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

zoux posted:

Anyway I think the messaging battle of "Syrian refugees =/= ISIS fighters" has already been lost.

I'm still a little stunned at how fast that happened. International Rescue Committee and UNHCR hosed that up royally (although since they, you know, actually provide services for refugees instead of relentlessly focusing on manipulating American public opinion, I've already forgiven them and then some).

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Combed Thunderclap posted:

I'm still a little stunned at how fast that happened. International Rescue Committee and UNHCR hosed that up royally (although since they, you know, actually provide services for refugees instead of relentlessly focusing on manipulating American public opinion, I've already forgiven them and then some).

Yeah, when it comes to the Republicans, that battle was lost long ago. This is a perfectly logical extension of their nativism and if anything I'm surprised they hadn't picked up on this line of rhetoric before, since it's old hat in the Old World by now. For once we get to export right-wing insanity to the US instead of importing it!

It's still kind of baffling an event in France triggered this. It's almost like they were just waiting for the next appropriate attack to roll it out. Charlie Hebdo must have been too early with regards to the political cycle to use that.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Obama's order to fly flags at half mast posted:

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this fifteenth day of November, in the year of our Lord two thousand fifteen, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and fortieth.

BARACK OBAMA

I can't believe this has happened in TYOTIOTUSOA 240.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Antti posted:

Yeah, when it comes to the Republicans, that battle was lost long ago. This is a perfectly logical extension of their nativism and if anything I'm surprised they hadn't picked up on this line of rhetoric before, since it's old hat in the Old World by now. For once we get to export right-wing insanity to the US instead of importing it!

It's still kind of baffling an event in France triggered this. It's almost like they were just waiting for the next appropriate attack to roll it out. Charlie Hebdo must have been too early with regards to the political cycle to use that.

The Dems have been trying for years to try to create proactive rather than reactive liberal PR machines but it's hard to counter the ultimate PR machine of actually holding offices.

IRC posted this three hours ago on their Facebook, but it's going to be an uphill battle now that the Rs got themselves a sweet headline. Sad that they should have been thinking about launching a spin campaign after the Paris attacks, but as you said, nativism's been a top Republican talking point for years (also thanks a bunch Maggie Hassan).

EDIT: Especially sad and weird since the media's been covering how awful things are for refugees for months prior. So much for all that goodwill.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

mcmagic posted:

I think Cruz just moved passed Huckabee on the "piece of poo poo human being" scale of GOP candidates.

Nah, the Huckster already took that position in the first debate (~"The job of the military is to kill people and break stuff") so if anything, Cruz is just catching up

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

whitey delenda est posted:

This speaks pretty clearly to how unrealistic "zero tolerance" approaches are. 0.0003% of the population can have such an outsized influence on peoples' perception (because thousands of newspaper stories or Fox News pieces about how the vast, sweeping majority is succeeding in their new lives and integrating flawlessly with a multicultural society doesn't sell ad time) through such minimal effort that basically the problem becomes intractable. Ugh.

ed: Also (and NOT DRAWING AN EQUIVALENCE HERE) but to put the lack of outrage in perspective, 400 people have been killed and another 1200 injured in mass shootings in the U.S. in 2015. Our domestic population is way more dangerous to the average American citizen.

I agree, the small minority of gun owners who use those guns for ill have such an outsized influence on peoples' perceptions of the average gun owner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
In the continuing story of rolling back post-Bush progressivism because of Muslim terrorists: "[Edward Snowden] has blood on his hands."

So expect more attacks on encryption in the next few years.

• Locked thread