Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Including the OP and ED, as well as any frames where the image didn't really move or have any action/static background shots, there are usually ~35,126 frames in an episode.

Considering you can duplicate frames for things where lip flaps are going without the background moving, you'd imagine there's still a good 15,000 frames of those are going to have to be drawn for the episode and that's a total spitballing guess. It could be much more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Everything that's been "Animated better in the manga" has involved stuff like sweeping camera angles which I imagine would be a complete goddamn pain to actually animate, so it's completely understandable.

Edit: Also yeah, Murata had 2 weeks to do that one sequence whereas the anime has one week to cover about 4 times the material.

Camera Motion and especially rotation is a massive time sink in 2D Animation. The background is a pretty big aspect of any scene and if you have to redraw it for every single frame even at usual Anime 2's or 3's that starts to add up really quick. Even with the usual trick of action cutting the background out it is still really difficult.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I mean if you are going to complain about the animation in the anime then like go watch the Genos/Saitama sparring session and shut yer hole

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
They're probably saving the budget for the Sea King and Boros.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

RatHat posted:

They're probably saving the budget for the Sea King and Boros.

Yeah that's almost certainly what's going on here. I'd much rather they skimp a bit on the Meteor episode if it means they'll put that effort into the Sea King episodes.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

gnome7 posted:

Yeah that's almost certainly what's going on here. I'd much rather they skimp a bit on the Meteor episode if it means they'll put that effort into the Sea King episodes.

People are just moaning because the meteor was done so well in the manga, like holy poo poo that was what got me reading in the first place, so it's a bit disappointing that the anime can't even hope to compare, not when skimping on the parts the manga pseudo-animated already.

The Sea King arc should be much more easily translatable from manga to anime.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Sea King stuff is not going to meet your expectations

Like I'm not saying it will be bad, but your expectations for it are more than what can probably be delivered upon.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

The building visibly broke and then started collapsing when saitama jumped, thats close enough, we cannot expect perfection after the budget they spent on metal knight landing.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Baal posted:

The Sea King stuff is not going to meet your expectations

Like I'm not saying it will be bad, but your expectations for it are more than what can probably be delivered upon.

No it will literally reach through the screen and pat me tenderly on the head just like momma did while I watch it

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
When all is said and done the anime will not be better than the manga.

And this isn't me knocking the anime in the slightest.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
When all is said and done everyone will have to: watch 100 minutes of anime, read 100 pages of murata's version, 100 chapters of ONE and make 10 minutes of AMV. Every single day.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

AtomikKrab posted:

The building visibly broke and then started collapsing when saitama jumped, thats close enough, we cannot expect perfection after the budget they spent on metal knight landing.

Nah, it only started doing that when the meteor shrapnel started blowing the city apart.

The reason I complained about that in particular is, yeah I get it panning shots and stuff are difficult and such but that is an example of something that's really not and they just... don't do it for some reason. Like the anime is still great and all, and these kinds of minor nitpicks that don't matter are the harshest criticism I can levy against it. It does some stuff great, like the art style shifts with Asura Rhino and such were super cool.

Maybe I'm just crazy too, but I always imagined that Genos was firing blue laser beams rather than huge flame jets for some reason.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I heard somewhere that Blu-ray versions of animes are better animated than the broadcast version. Is that true?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Mraagvpeine posted:

I heard somewhere that Blu-ray versions of animes are better animated than the broadcast version. Is that true?

Sometimes, but by no means always.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And it's usually not a significant change. Mostly just cleaning up the art of what's already there. Unless you're Shaft, then you go hogwild.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Prison Warden posted:

Nah, it only started doing that when the meteor shrapnel started blowing the city apart.

The reason I complained about that in particular is, yeah I get it panning shots and stuff are difficult and such but that is an example of something that's really not and they just... don't do it for some reason. Like the anime is still great and all, and these kinds of minor nitpicks that don't matter are the harshest criticism I can levy against it. It does some stuff great, like the art style shifts with Asura Rhino and such were super cool.

Maybe I'm just crazy too, but I always imagined that Genos was firing blue laser beams rather than huge flame jets for some reason.

Rewatch the episode, Saitama makes a giant crater on the rooftop as he's jumping off of it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Mraagvpeine posted:

Usually stuff like "oh these frames make the main character look like a coffee stain, fix him up but keep the background and everything"

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Usually stuff like "oh these frames make the main character look like a coffee stain, fix him up but keep the background and everything"

There were some really good ones in Jojo, like where people had teeny tiny pin heads, or just like awkardly laid-out scenes. Davidpro did some really good clean-ups in their blurays.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

a kitten posted:

Sometimes, but by no means always.

Yeah, it's not often they'll straight up add or improve animation but it's common that they'll improve art when it's noticeably off model and poor looking.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

When all is said and done everyone will have to: watch 100 minutes of anime, read 100 pages of murata's version, 100 chapters of ONE and make 10 minutes of AMV. Every single day.

Gladly.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I'm glad they aren't trying to match the flipbook sequences. Gives them something different to point to for why they're worth seeing alongside the manga. Only shame is that's pretty much all the meteor arc had going for it since it wasn't a sentient threat.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

TriffTshngo posted:

I'm glad they aren't trying to match the flipbook sequences. Gives them something different to point to for why they're worth seeing alongside the manga. Only shame is that's pretty much all the meteor arc had going for it since it wasn't a sentient threat.

I agree with this. There are limitations with the animation mostly regarding time so at the very least the anime will get people to read the manga(s). Therefore there will be more OPM in people's lives and for the better.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
And then there's Kagerou Project.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
People complaining about the quality of the anime versus the manga is starting to get on my nerves. Let's not forget how many goddamn times Murata drew a piece of a chapter that encapsulated a few seconds, only to redraw those exact few seconds weeks later for higher detail, and then later redraw them again in lower quality so it's something an actual magazine could feasibly publish.

Murata isn't too good for anime, he's too good for manga.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mordaedil posted:

The hell?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Mordaedil posted:

Am I supposed to prefer the tv version? Because I do. There's something weird about the artstyle of the DVD one that makes it awful to look at. I'm not even sure how to describe it.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

My pitch when I suggest this manga to people: "It's a great story, but the animation is not perfect. Most of the time it's just panels."

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
The music makes up for it. Murata is a horrible musician.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Prison Warden posted:

The difference between the meteor frags raining down and saitama jumping is about a second.

I just checked the manga version of the episode, scene matches up pretty much perfectly, and it is a meteor hitting the damaged building that drops it so I was wrong there,

and saitama doesn't smash it down a couple of levels in the manga but it does have a better shot of the pavement all around the building cracking.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Just to be clear, and I think this is the common sentiment, this anime is amazing. It's what modern anime that doesn't cheap out and employ cheap lazy techniques (Dragonball Super) should look like. I am 100% satisfied with the adaptation, it literally can't be any better. What I am longing for along with others is a piece of high art that just isn't possible technically or financially in the present, where every frame looks like it's been lifted from the manga.

The manga is a godly work by a god among men and it's alright if the anime can't match up to it.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Don't worry guys, Murata will redraw the anime for the Blu-ray.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

tsob posted:

Am I supposed to prefer the tv version? Because I do. There's something weird about the artstyle of the DVD one that makes it awful to look at. I'm not even sure how to describe it.
Yeah, the tv stuff looks low budget but tolerable. The DVD/bluray stuff is like... waaay too chibi. They've all turned into tiny children.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Pyroi posted:

The BR disc will just contain a link to stream Murata's latest revision of the episode. Your Blu-Ray player's WiFi connection isn't just for firmware updates and Netflix anymore.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

The intro to that episode was a flashback to when they were all kids and the TV broadcast had the entire sequence in really cheap 3D with cell shading.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010

PaganGoatPants posted:

The music makes up for it. Murata is a horrible musician.

He's just bleeding edge, returning music to the introspection and subtlety of conceptual art as seen in blank canvases and 4'33".

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Pyroi posted:

I feel like we should just get an emote for that joke now.

Someone makes it every other page.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Pyroi posted:

Instead of that, the entire anime will be redrawn by ONE.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Crain posted:

I feel like we should just get an emote for that joke now.

Someone makes it every other page.

Well, yeah. We have to keep revising the joke until it's perfect.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Pyroi posted:

Turns out he only does HD DVD. Curse you Sony!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, yeah. We have to keep revising the joke until it's perfect.
I feel like it peaked with the insinuation Murata would one day get arrested for breaking into people's homes to redraw the volumes on their shelves, but maybe that's just me.