Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
r2 sticks his probe in every slot he can find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
it's really obvious this thread is full of nerdy dudes who don't interact with women who aren't their mum

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Shaggar posted:

this too

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

painted bird posted:

it's really obvious this thread is full of nerdy dudes who don't interact with women who aren't their mum

what prompted this

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
the fact a non-human, ungendered tin can is assumed to be male by default is significant and examining the reasons behind it and a storyteller choosing to go against the forces that make said tin can being male be taken for granted are interesting topics but you people react with the equivalent of "ewwww cooties" when presented with anything, no matter how trivial, that challenges the assumption that white het dudes are the centre of the universe and the only ones who get to have opinions

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
gonna gently caress a gonk droid

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

painted bird posted:

the fact a non-human, ungendered tin can is assumed to be male by default is significant and examining the reasons behind it and a storyteller choosing to go against the forces that make said tin can being male be taken for granted are interesting topics but you people react with the equivalent of "ewwww cooties" when presented with anything, no matter how trivial, that challenges the assumption that white het dudes are the centre of the universe and the only ones who get to have opinions

???

I was seriously discussing it. I didn't see anyone say "eww cooties" or even call it dumb, besides probably internaut who intended the empty share that way

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
basically idk that article might be dumb but "why does R2D2 have to be a dude" is not a dumb question at all

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
i'm a brown indian dude and i think genders for dumb robots are dumb

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Dodoman posted:

oh so you don't think 3po is gendered then?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
i am also dumb

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax

Amethyst posted:

???

I was seriously discussing it. I didn't see anyone say "eww cooties" or even call it dumb, besides probably internaut who intended the empty share that way

well internaut posting it plus immediate descent into dick jokes is what triggered my response

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

painted bird posted:

painted bird posted:

the fact a non-human, ungendered tin can is assumed to be male by default is significant and :words:

this is projection you can see from the moon

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

painted bird posted:

well internaut posting it plus immediate descent into dick jokes is what triggered my response

it was a reasonably funny dick joke. did you skip all my posts about gendered interactions?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
imo the best thing about robots is you can basically weld whatever genitals you want right on there

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Trig Discipline posted:

imo the best thing about robots is you can basically weld whatever genitals you want right on there

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Amethyst posted:

oh so you don't think 3po is gendered then?

having a male VA doesn't suddenly make a sexless, genderless robot a male

e; though after seeing that picture i might change my opinion

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax

Dodoman posted:

you can't deny that we automatically gender both R2D2 and C3PO as dudes though

i think gendering robots is dumb too but the discussion of why it happens is worthwhile

also let's not derail by acting like either you or i are representative of the thread demographic

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax

Amethyst posted:

it was a reasonably funny dick joke. did you skip all my posts about gendered interactions?

i saw them but i kinda assumed you were being sarcastic bc it's hard to tell on the internet but especially in YOSPOS

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

painted bird posted:

you can't deny that we automatically gender both R2D2 and C3PO as dudes though

i think gendering robots is dumb too but the discussion of why it happens is worthwhile

also let's not derail by acting like either you or i are representative of the thread demographic

I don't think gendering robots is dumb. it's actually a really interesting idea. a star trek ep explored the formation of gender identity when data created a child and refused to assign sexual characteristics until it could choose for itself

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax

Internaut! posted:

this is projection you can see from the moon

i'm a mixed gay jew, you moron

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

painted bird posted:

i saw them but i kinda assumed you were being sarcastic bc it's hard to tell on the internet but especially in YOSPOS

have some faith in your internet friends, sometimes

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
till they gain sentience and choose to have a gender for themselves all we are doing is projecting our social/cultural norms onto something

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the programmers that write the robots personalities undoubtedly have an impact, whether intended or not, on the perception of the robot's gender by other humans. So to say robots cant have a gender or, maybe more accurately, couldn't be perceived as having a gender is pretty silly as they are creations of man and all of our cultural inputs. the fact that probably 99% of people including the characters in the movie and the robots themselves refer to r2 and c3p0 with male pronouns would seem to validate this.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Dodoman posted:

till they gain sentience and choose to have a gender for themselves all we are doing is projecting our social/cultural norms onto something

the robots in star wars are clearly sentient

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
looks like someone got triggered by robodicks

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

anyway, this is why writing bb-8 as a female is a potentially cool idea

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Hogge Wild posted:

looks like someone got triggered by robodicks

stfu

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax

Amethyst posted:

I don't think gendering robots is dumb. it's actually a really interesting idea. a star trek ep explored the formation of gender identity when data created a child and refused to assign sexual characteristics until it could choose for itself

i meant gendering them without their input, because what the hell makes a beeping tin can on wheels "male" that we can see. i don't think any star wars droids get any say in being assumed male or close enough for government work, after all.

it's an interesting topic to explore, i agree, but people get really weird around it

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

painted bird posted:

i meant gendering them without their input, because what the hell makes a beeping tin can on wheels "male" that we can see. i don't think any star wars droids get any say in being assumed male or close enough for government work, after all.

it's an interesting topic to explore, i agree, but people get really weird around it

they get weird about it because it's not a discussion we have very often.

re: the star wars droids, i think the droids not only are interacted with in a gendered way, I also believe it's made clear that the robots are comfortable with their gender identities self assigned or not.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

painted bird posted:

i'm a mixed gay jew, you moron

ah well as a mixed gay jew who hangs around yospos the health of your relationships with women is clearly beyond reproach, forgive me

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

the robots in interstellar are different. it's made clear that they are not sentient, and the personalities are basically part of the user interface, where gender is an option chosen by the user.

while we're at it, siri is obviously gendered. i think it says a lot that it's literally impossible to design a voice interface without specifying gender. gender actually comes well before the turing test

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Internaut! posted:

ah well as a mixed gay jew who hangs around yospos the health of your relationships with women is clearly beyond reproach, forgive me

man gently caress off with your culture wars poo poo, you're jsut forcing it now

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Amethyst posted:

the robots in star wars are clearly sentient

they seemed really well programmed and had emotions, but i didn't feel that had "sentience" per se; obviously this is just my opinions and is probably wrong

personally i don't care if the robot is gendered or not, but both sides are just going to push their own cultural viewpoints onto it. MRAs will deem a robot male while feminists will deem them female. if they are sentient they should get to choose, not have it chosen for them.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
george lucas is a notorious moron who only put like two female characters in his movie

of course r2 is male

as is chewbacca and everything else that doesn't have tits flapping around

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax

Amethyst posted:

they get weird about it because it's not a discussion we have very often.

re: the star wars droids, i think the droids not only are interacted with in a gendered way, I also believe it's made clear that the robots are comfortable with their gender identities self assigned or not.

i'm curious to see you expand on this

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dodoman posted:

they seemed really well programmed and had emotions, but i didn't feel that had "sentience" per se; obviously this is just my opinions and is probably wrong

"we don't serve their kind"

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Dodoman posted:

personally i don't care if the robot is gendered or not, but both sides are just going to push their own cultural viewpoints onto it. MRAs will deem a robot male while feminists will deem them female. if they are sentient they should get to choose, not have it chosen for them.

if that was the case, then 3po and r2 wouldn't interact with each other the way they do when no humans are around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax

Dodoman posted:

idk C3PO can clearly pass the turing test. dunno about R2D2, though

also this is a pet peeve and needlessly pedantic but you mean sapient.

• Locked thread