Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

Boon posted:

Also, I just found out that my dad will lose his insurance Dec 1st (he's retired) and the union isn't even trying to fight for retired individuals. Going on my mother's plan or the market will cost him nearly 2/3 of his pension as he understands it currently.

For gently caress's sake.

What's the parent organization? The UAW constitution, at least, spends a lot of time talking about retired members.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Yoshifan823 posted:

I sent a message to the governor through the official website, and I tried to be as polite as possible so his secretary will at least read through it before dragging it to the trash.

Man, I can't wait until he retires again. Maybe this time we won't have someone boring like Chet Culver running.

I'm betting Branstad retires at the end of this term after he is about lynched for pulling eminent domain for the Bakken pipeline. That being the final straw after he continues to burn Iowa's schools and universities to the ground. Kim Reynolds will then run and win.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
6% of Lousiana knows how to party.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

6% of Lousiana knows how to party.

I have faith that it's 10.4% :allears:

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Using prostitutes doesn't mean you're a bad person, it means he's simply misguided and in need of redemption!

People in the South love a good redemption tale, right?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Didn't Vitter just have a campaign ad featuring a """"star"""" from duck dynasty where he got all sorry and gee whiz guys what was I thinkin?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Thump! posted:

Using prostitutes doesn't mean you're a bad person, it means he's simply misguided and in need of redemption!

People in the South love a good redemption tale, right?

"Jee-zus was okay with hookers, well by gawd, so am I!"

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Teflon Don posted:

Didn't Vitter just have a campaign ad featuring a """"star"""" from duck dynasty where he got all sorry and gee whiz guys what was I thinkin?

Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKr3Y1OXQ3k

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
After all the poo poo that's happened these past few days, Bernie's makin me feel a little better tonight.

http://www.c-span.org/video/?400753-1/senator-bernie-sanders-campaign-rally-cleveland

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

It's really been something watching the conservatives and mainstream GOP descend into open, full-throated nativism. It's like Trump's comments on Mexicans this past summer broke the dam holding all of this toxic sludge back and now we're all drowning in it.

This poo poo used to be communicated via dogwhistle, but now we have GOP presidential candidates openly one-upping each other on how poorly they'll treat refugees fleeing a terrorist onslaught. Cruz is going to introduce a bill banning Muslim (and not Christian) refugees from Syria, Paul wants to stop all visas from over 30 "suspect" states, and Christie boasted that not even three-year-old Syrian orphans will be allowed into his state. All because of a terror attack carried out on French soil by, from what I understand, were nearly all EU nationals.

I know anti-immigrant sentiment has always been a plank of the right but I can't recall it ever being this bad or this blatant in my lifetime. I can only imagine how much worse the sentiment would get if a similar attack is carried out over here.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot
I believe I read in some forum yesterday that one or two of the terrorists in Paris were in fact Syrian refugees. So this is not the case?

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Rhesus Pieces posted:

It's really been something watching the conservatives and mainstream GOP descend into open, full-throated nativism. It's like Trump's comments on Mexicans this past summer broke the dam holding all of this toxic sludge back and now we're all drowning in it.

This poo poo used to be communicated via dogwhistle, but now we have GOP presidential candidates openly one-upping each other on how poorly they'll treat refugees fleeing a terrorist onslaught. Cruz is going to introduce a bill banning Muslim (and not Christian) refugees from Syria, Paul wants to stop all visas from over 30 "suspect" states, and Christie boasted that not even three-year-old Syrian orphans will be allowed into his state. All because of a terror attack carried out on French soil by, from what I understand, were nearly all EU nationals.

I know anti-immigrant sentiment has always been a plank of the right but I can't recall it ever being this bad or this blatant in my lifetime. I can only imagine how much worse the sentiment would get if a similar attack is carried out over here.

It's horrifying and I really hope people start calling politicians out on it. Nativism has never made sense to me. You have no control over what country you're born in - it's only the luck of the draw that I was born in the US, not Syria. That could have been me trying to escape Syria and being turned away by a heartless government.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

SnakePlissken posted:

I believe I read in some forum yesterday that one or two of the terrorists in Paris were in fact Syrian refugees. So this is not the case?

They had fake Syrian passports to cause precisely this reaction and radicalize other pissed-off Muslims. They were from Belgium or other EU states.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Didn't see this posted: US reaches $95.5M settlement in for-profit education case

quote:

PITTSBURGH — A Pennsylvania company that enrolls more than 100,000 students at for-profit trade schools and colleges across the U.S. and Canada has agreed to pay $95.5 million to settle claims it illegally paid recruiters and exaggerated the career-placement abilities of its schools.

Under deals announced Monday by the Justice Department and state attorneys general, Education Management Corp. also agreed to forgive $102.8 million in loans it made to more than 80,000 former students.

"This case not only highlights the abuses in EDMC's recruitment system; it also highlights the brave actions of EDMC employees who refused to go along with the institution's deceptive practices," U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch said at a news conference.

The company runs 110 schools in 32 states and Canada for chefs, artists and other trades, including The Art Institutes, Argosy University, Brown Mackie College and South University. Under the settlement, it didn't acknowledge wrongdoing but said it has "worked with state attorneys general to develop new, more transparent recruiting and disclosure standards."

The case began in 2007 when a recruiter and the EDMC employee who trained her filed a whistleblower lawsuit in federal court in Pittsburgh...

Here's an interesting part: "Eventually, the Justice Department, 12 states and the District of Columbia intervened and, initially, sought to have Education Management forfeit more than $11 billion it received in federal and state student aid since 2003."

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

They had fake Syrian passports to cause precisely this reaction and radicalize other pissed-off Muslims. They were from Belgium or other EU states.

One attacker, Ahmad al-Mohammed, appears to have been a Syrian national from Idlib city. Now whether his Syrian passport was fake (likely) or what still appears a bit up in the air.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

PUGGERNAUT posted:

It's horrifying and I really hope people start calling politicians out on it. Nativism has never made sense to me. You have no control over what country you're born in - it's only the luck of the draw that I was born in the US, not Syria. That could have been me trying to escape Syria and being turned away by a heartless government.

yeah but fygm

e: The only "good" thing that's come out of the Republican lurch right is watching my mom, whose parents were both Republican, gradually get more and more disgusted by what the party's becoming. Being a HS teacher set her well on that road years ago, though.

Motto fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 17, 2015

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Spiritus Nox posted:

https://www.tedcruz.org/news/cruz-america-must-stand-with-our-allies-against-the-scourge-of-radical-islamic-terrorism/

Don't think this has been shared yet - Cruz is criticizing Obama for being too careful not to blow up civilians.

Ted Cruz posted:

We must immediately recognize that our enemy is not ‘violent extremism.’ It is the radical Islamism that has declared jihad against the west. It will not be appeased by outreach or declarations of tolerance. It will not be deterred by targeted airstrikes with zero tolerance for civilian casualties, when the terrorists have such utter disregard for innocent life.

Emphasis mine.

:ironicat:

Where's the increasingly huge ironicat when you need it?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Emphasis mine.

[/quote]

its cruz and the banality of evil. he views doesnt view the civies as people. he treats it like its a big RTS game, all that would happen is you get some points knocked off for blasting a city to the ground.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

There's no irony there, because he doesn't actually view killing civvies as an issue. He's matter-of-factly saying that due to terrorists hiding as or operating near civilians, it's impossible in his eyes to effectively combat them if you care about sparing innocent lives.

Motto fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Nov 17, 2015

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Motto posted:

There's no irony there, because he doesn't actually view killing civvies as an issue. He's matter-of-factly saying that due to terrorists hiding as or operating near civilians, it's impossible in his eyes to effectively combat them if you care about sparing innocent lives.

The irony is he is calling out the terrorists for their disregard for innocent life when he himself bears that same disregard for innocent life. It doesn't matter if he actually sees it that way or not himself, the irony is still inherent in the situation.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Ted Cruz is playing an rts alright. One where the resources are enraged rear end in a top hat right wing gently caress wads.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'm pretty sure you can't do that for a multitude of reasons and that's a polite way of telling the states to go gently caress themselves.

Wild baseless speculation, but what would happen if state authorities went "no, gently caress YOU dad!" and tried to forcefully prevent refugees from settling in their states a la George Wallace blocking the doors of the University of Alabama in 1963?

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Wild baseless speculation, but what would happen if state authorities went "no, gently caress YOU dad!" and tried to forcefully prevent refugees from settling in their states a la George Wallace blocking the doors of the University of Alabama in 1963?

I would loving cry.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Hopefully the National Guard is mobilized, maybe even the Army, the South is once again occupied and the Federal government attempts reconstruction 2.0, this time starting with the execution of the traitorous white elites.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I just think i might need a hug because all of this has finally gotten to me.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Yep, this one's pretty hard to swallow. Politics just became a whole lot less funny. Islamophobia after 9/11 was pretty loving horrifying but the political climate has changed a whole lot since then, and I feel like this has gotten so ugly, so quickly. I've never been so disappointed in my country.

Silver Nitrate posted:

I would loving cry.

Indeed

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I am so ashamed of my state, Texas, and my nation. Not even trying to be funny, edgy, or ironic. This has been a shameful day.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

blue squares posted:

I am so ashamed of my state, Texas, and my nation. Not even trying to be funny, edgy, or ironic. This has been a shameful day.

Okie reporting in. Oh, also, I was born in Michigan and lived there until I was 22. :buddy:

The mayor of Tulsa, Dewey Bartlett Jr, the sneering fuckhead he is, got on Facebook to grandstand about writing a letter to obummer to keep them Syrians out of the country:

Mind you, Tulsa actually has a reasonably significant Syrian population and their businesses are pillars of the loving local community. Way to call their admission into the country a mistake, you loving piece of poo poo rear end in a top hat.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Mirthless posted:

Yep, this one's pretty hard to swallow. Politics just became a whole lot less funny. Islamophobia after 9/11 was pretty loving horrifying but the political climate has changed a whole lot since then, and I feel like this has gotten so ugly, so quickly. I've never been so disappointed in my country.

The main difference between then and now is that the right actually had the responsibility to govern in the wake of 9/11, and inadvisable as our neocon foreign policy was, the people in charge were at least smart enough to understand that the of optics using outright racist rhetoric would damage the war effort. These clowns have no such disincentive now. Their only goal is to rile the base and damage the sitting administration. But they can't unsay the poo poo they've said, and the GOP is saddled with a near-genocidal platform until whenever the realignment comes.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

:smith: Sorry about that bro. :sympathy:

If any sense at all prevailed, we would think twice about playing right into the hands of ISIS or at least proving we're above their level morally, and yet here we are. :smithicide:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
[e]: Sorry, double post from phone quote is not edit, etc

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Anyone know of any legit charities that are helping out Syrian refugees? If our governors and presidential candidates are gonna be assholes, I wanna at least put a couple bucks towards making things better.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Mirthless posted:

Okie reporting in. Oh, also, I was born in Michigan and lived there until I was 22. :buddy:

The mayor of Tulsa, Dewey Bartlett Jr, the sneering fuckhead he is, got on Facebook to grandstand about writing a letter to obummer to keep them Syrians out of the country:

Mind you, Tulsa actually has a reasonably significant Syrian population and their businesses are pillars of the loving local community. Way to call their admission into the country a mistake, you loving piece of poo poo rear end in a top hat.

Local elections don't look good for Dems, if ISIS is allowed to rampage across the world much longer, it's leaking into everything.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Same here. This poo poo makes me sick.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
GOP state Rep. Tony Dale says we can't have Syrian refugees in Texas because it'd be too easy for them to get guns.

I got nothing. I'm done

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Night10194 posted:

Same here. This poo poo makes me sick.

"why detonate bombs when we can make their heads explode?" - a terrorist, somewhere

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
My old youth pastor just spent a week in eastern Turkey volunteering with international aid groups that were outfitting and supplying refugee camps. :unsmith: So today I went back and read all of her daily updates on Facebook and looked at her pictures. A good antidote to the hate in the news. All of the refugees looked exhausted but so grateful for any human kindness.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Abbott is a horrific governor, and every bit as much of a poo poo as I expected him to be given his own struggles, which he was proud to learn not to allow anybody else the same opportunities. Filth.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

"Tomorrow will be better" he said, in a triumph of hope over experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

I have to agree with everyone here. This reaction is extremely disturbing to me. These last few weeks have been stressful both personally and politically, and this certainly doesn't help. If anything though, it's strengthened my resolve to stand against the xenophobia of the GOP.

• Locked thread