Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Are you also a vegan, atheist or crossfitter?

The :smugbert: internet atheist or run-of-the-mill atheist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
here, let me rephrase that

An atheist, a vegan, a crossfitter, and a guy who doesn't even own a television go into a bar. I know because they told everybody.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
"The news said there's been another earthquake in Christchurch. It's awful."

"I didn't see that. I don't even own a television."

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

here, let me rephrase that

An atheist, a vegan, a crossfitter, and a guy who doesn't even own a television go into a bar. I know because they told everybody.

An atheist, a vegan, a crossfitter, a guy who doesn't even own a television and a guy who complains about that lot go into a bar. I know because they told everybody. Especially the last one.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
A man who likes pickles goes into a bar. He died, from pickles.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ledge posted:

Like posting on an internet forum.

Precisely.

Is not having a TV some sort of hipster thing now? Aren't I allowed to have preferences purely because I Don't Like Some poo poo and not have some sort of internet strawman baggage attached to everything?

Do people actually run around telling other people they're an atheist IRL or is this just another thing that only happens on the internet?

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think not having a TV used to be a hipster thing, but in TYOOL 2015 everyone I know under 30 torrents, streams, netflixes, or otherwise accesses the TV they want to watch over the internet. The days of $80 Sky packages are over.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lancelot posted:

I think not having a TV used to be a hipster thing, but in TYOOL 2015 everyone I know under 30 torrents, streams, netflixes, or otherwise accesses the TV they want to watch over the internet. The days of $80 Sky packages are over.

Pretty much this.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I don't have a TV but I have a landline. I am the man between time.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The flat I live at has a TV, but I don't watch it. Don't have a landline either, although when I go up to Auckland during the holidays, I stay at my mum's where there is a TV and a landline.

The thing is, as Lancelot alluded to, a lot of people don't have TVs, or watch television on them anymore and ratings etc. are an increasingly worthless metric towards measuring audience engagement in 2015 and beyond. In all likelihood, people who don't have TVs will probably be in the majority within a decade. Maybe less.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
Being an athiest in New Zealand is not a gently caress you dad thing it's actually really normal. I feel like people are adopting the American view of it where it's like an outsider thing that distinguishes you or a small enough group they feel they can generalise it

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I have a TV and I make sure to tell everyone I meet about it.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
What I'm saying is it's really weird in a nz thread to have someone call someone else an athiest as if that means something

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/74100409/scoutconz-loses-the-last-of-its-staff

in other breaking news on stuff, why do aeroplane windows have those tiny holes?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I kept seeing all these adverts for spy.co.nz so I just assumed Scout had changed their name to something more representative.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Ghostlight posted:

I don't have a TV but I have a landline. I am the man between time.

I've had a landline for 6 months. I've only ever had one phone call and it was a wrong number.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Ivor Biggun posted:

I've had a landline for 6 months. I've only ever had one phone call and it was a wrong number.

I've had a landline for around a year, and I have had one wrong number and one Roy Morgan call.

Worth it I guess?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

swampland posted:

What I'm saying is it's really weird in a nz thread to have someone call someone else an athiest as if that means something

Yeah I didn't get that either.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
If you guys don't think NZ atheists can be smug and in-your-face about it, you've never been to Kelburn Campus.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

A vegan, a crossfitter and someone who has been to Kelburn campus walk into a bar

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

swampland posted:

Being an athiest in New Zealand is not a gently caress you dad thing it's actually really normal. I feel like people are adopting the American view of it where it's like an outsider thing that distinguishes you or a small enough group they feel they can generalise it

Really? I always felt the opposite, that it was distinctly un-American because the lack of religious pressure just means you grow up without really following any of it.

Maybe that's just where I lived? I'm always surprised to find out that someone's religious, if someone came up to me and described themselves as an atheist I'd probably be just as surprised.
I don't think I've ever met someone who's introduced themselves that way though.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
A National Voter and a Vegan walk into a bar...

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Laverna posted:

Really? I always felt the opposite, that it was distinctly un-American because the lack of religious pressure just means you grow up without really following any of it.

Maybe that's just where I lived? I'm always surprised to find out that someone's religious, if someone came up to me and described themselves as an atheist I'd probably be just as surprised.
I don't think I've ever met someone who's introduced themselves that way though.
I think swampland means the same thing, it's just that "atheist" is a general catch-all for not religious, but people like myself - and probably yourself from the sounds of it - if forced to identify as something would probably be best served by simply "secular". Most American athiests will say "oh but that's athiesm", but they're coming from a direction where being in one box or the other is something that is actively thought about because they're inside a society that still asks their presidents if they believe in God.

emminou
May 25, 2006

mirthdefect posted:

A vegan, a crossfitter and someone who has been to Kelburn campus walk into a bar

A vegan, crossfitting atheist walks into a bar on Kelburn campus...

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

emminou posted:

A vegan, crossfitting atheist walks into a bar on Kelburn campus...

wellington.txt

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Laverna posted:

I sorta mean that it's a stand out identity there and its much more noticable and like a thing that really distinguishes them.

Then again I am in fact currently attending the kelburn campus so...

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
i prefer 'non-religious'. 'atheist' has too much cultural baggage imo, even in NZ

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Religion just has a bad reputation here; its political poison and no politician that wants to break 5% will touch it, as compared to the US where you can't get elected to a community board without proclaiming your religious beliefs.

If I'm asked directly though, I would respond with agnostic, since I find that leads to a more balanced conversation that the opposing side actually listens to, so I guess I do agree that Atheist carries baggage, but in no small part due to the attitude towards it we've been discussing.

Binkenstein
Jan 18, 2010

I don't pay attention for a week and Politics chat turns into Burger chat. What's up with that?

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
goons

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Someone mentioned hamburgers and pickles, and we all argued about it for 2 pages.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
this thread has gone downhill rapidly and i think we can all agree that the tipping point was barons' unacceptable and heretical anti-pickle stance

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

this thread has gone downhill rapidly and i think we can all agree that the tipping point was barons' unacceptable and heretical anti-pickle stance

I'll bet he crossfits and everything the dirty bastard.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Slavvy posted:

I'll bet he crossfits and everything the dirty bastard.

I'll be surprised if he has a TV, that wanker.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Please no more burgers

http://publicaddress.net/onpoint/the-whaledump-saga-scooby-doo-edition/
Keith Ng on Ben Rachinger and who Key thinks Rawshark is

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
That blurred photo Slater sent to Ben is intriguing.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

truther posted:

That blurred photo Slater sent to Ben is intriguing.

It's intimate pics of a gallery journo that ended up on Lauda Finem, I think we talked about it itt when it happened

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Yeah we did. I'd missed the denouement where Rachinger turned out to be scamming Slater for cash the entire time. That almost brightens up my outlook :unsmith:

Weird that he doesn't seem to be in any kind of pickle over basically defrauding Slater though.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Exclamation Marx posted:

Please no more burgers

http://publicaddress.net/onpoint/the-whaledump-saga-scooby-doo-edition/
Keith Ng on Ben Rachinger and who Key thinks Rawshark is

What's your fave Chinese takeaway dish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

National will be using urgency today to retroactively legalise the last 17 years of stealing from beneficiaries, and to push through having police meet deportees from Australia for fingerprinting, possible dna collection, and probation sentences.
Labour, unsurprisingly, will back the latter because despite the recent evidence they're still spineless muppets and don't want to be accused of being on the side of rapists again. :thumbsup:

• Locked thread