Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Harrow posted:

Critical hits now only come from that Crit meter in VATS. Sneak attacks and the headshot damage bonus still exist, but they're not considered "critical hits" for the purpose of perks and equipment. So keep that in mind when you see perks like Better Criticals or weapons that do special things on critical hits--they don't work for sneak attacks or headshots.

Welp, guess I'm going to player.setav my points a bit then. I don't even use VATS and started out with 6 luck in hopes of getting the better critical perk and scoring a lot of normal critical hits, just like in the previous games.

Hopefully a mod fixes Luck for non-VATS users in the future. Or the whole perk tree for that matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Piper completely disappeared from my game so I used the console to bring her back, but now I can't make her a companion anymore. Bugs in Bethesda game :(

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

the parallax issue when shooting in third person is kind of lame. sneak up on a raider and put the dot on his head at point blank and miss :sigh:

Yeah. Don't ever try to shoot in third person. And it's best to avoid anything other than VATS when doing melee.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Feels odd that I haven't seen any enemies using a flamer outside of the ironworks.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Inside Outside posted:

Piper completely disappeared from my game so I used the console to bring her back, but now I can't make her a companion anymore. Bugs in Bethesda game :(

did you use player.placeatme xxxxxx or player.moveto xxxxxx/prid xxxxxx moveto player because the former will spawn the incorrect piper while the latter will move you to them/move them to you

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Is there really no way to kill Paladin Danse and his squad I've decided on a Kill All BoS on Sight policy and they're really cramping my style.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

ShadowMar posted:

did you use player.placeatme xxxxxx or player.moveto xxxxxx/prid xxxxxx moveto player because the former will not spawn the correct piper while the latter will move you to them/move them to you

I did the latter, but when I Googled it was a weird two-step process. But yeah, I'm guessing I spawned the wrong Piper.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

The Pickman Gallery :dogbutton: man I dunno maybe I helped the wrong side. oh well at least the quest reward is right up my alley :chef:

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Inside Outside posted:

I did the latter, but when I Googled it was a weird two-step process. But yeah, I'm guessing I spawned the wrong Piper.

you also need her ref ID and not her base ID, the ref ID being what shows up when you click on her so reload an older save to get that if you haven't already

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Is there really no way to kill Paladin Danse and his squad I've decided on a Kill All BoS on Sight policy and they're really cramping my style.

everyone in Bethesda games is marked essential unless you can find a story way to kill them (and there is for one of the people u mentioned)

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

You sure as hell can kill 'em in the last Institute mission, too. You kinda have to in fact!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Black Griffon posted:

If there's one thing I them to change completely about the world and the aesthetic of the game, it's the way every structure everywhere is just half-assedly put together despite the fact that it's been over 200 years since the war. You've got cities that's persisted for nearly a hundred years, and untold tonnes for raw materials, and people still live in ramshackle piles of planks and let trash float around everywhere.

Farms and small trading towns live and die in the wasteland, sure. Raiders will probably put up temporary barricades seeing as they're all gonna be wiped out by supermutants in a week, and vice versa. But surely a well established settlement would take the time to clean poo poo up, paint the walls, mend the holes and so on. It's the sort of things people do to live instead of just survive, and while you certainly see signs of exactly that, stuff that looks completely wasted sort of breaks the immersion.

BoS, Enclave and stuff like the Institute and the Vault represent the far end of the "light in the darkness" thing. If everyone looked completely pristine it would ruin it, but after 210 years I'd expect more than walls with holes the size of brahmin.

I dunno, showing a world rebuilt after the apocalypse is what Fallout is all about, and I especially like the little details, like how bottlecaps become currency how junk gets repurposed into useful items, but I've always been bothered by how nobody loving cleans anything. At all. Ever. Except for the people who also maintain levels of technology magnitudes more advanced than the rest of the wasteland.

Yeah it's just like this on the East Coast which is a shithole. People out west are just inherently superior, I guess? The NCR is a coherent nation-state that stretches from Seattle to the Baja and they have railroads and factories and poo poo.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Man they super nailed the believable character dialogue. Small spoilers in the vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Scfv1phAJcw

:downs: I don't want to do a thing.
:( Remember how you said you'd do a thing?
:downs: OK let's do this thing.

Solid.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

TheHoosier posted:

The Pickman Gallery :dogbutton: man I dunno maybe I helped the wrong side. oh well at least the quest reward is right up my alley :chef:

I don't know if there was another quest attached besides Hancock's Miscellaneous "Check this thing out for me", but I blew Pickman's head off as soon as he gave me the reward. I certainly wasn't letting him leave alive.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Cactrot posted:

Man they super nailed the believable character dialogue. Small spoilers in the vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Scfv1phAJcw

:downs: I don't want to do a thing.
:( Remember how you said you'd do a thing?
:downs: OK let's do this thing.

Solid.

It's amazing when you beat the game and then she is upset about the same thing. Sadly there is no option to say "Remember how I just said one sentence and you were onboard?"

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

everyone in Bethesda games is marked essential unless you can find a story way to kill them (and there is for one of the people u mentioned)

That is some horseshit right there.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

RBA Starblade posted:

Cthulu Fhtagn aside, remember, New Vegas described the Pre-war world as days away from post-scarcity with its dlc, along with having hard light holograms, corpse animating life support systems, sentient (needy) armor systems, replicators, death from above orbital laser systems, and more. Anything goes anymore techwise.

i would totally be okay with this, but it's directly stated that lorenzo cabot discovered the helmet and its powers in the late 1800's and it made his blood an immortality elixir shortly afterwards

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

UP AND ADAM posted:

You can't, really, if you want to do the main story. I don't think it's controversial to have the opinion that having such a restrictive protagonist background and accompanying limited range of expression through dialogue allows for much less creativity in roleplaying. It's like Witcher, except your main character is forced to be a suburban mom/dad.

I dunno, other than "avenge my wife", which is perfectly reasonable if she's been your beard, and a close friend who keeps your secret, I didn't think anything really shoved "straight white male protagonist" in your face. Even "some military service" isn't really very descriptive, and I don't think I've seen anything go more in depth than that. There was probably a draft going during the war, so it probably applied to almost every 18-year-old male.

Honestly, I thought New Vegas' Courier backstory was the hardest to get into -- it implied that I'd been born and lived my entire life in the wasteland and wasn't intellectual enough to find a better profession than "courier", or maybe I was a drifter-type? Why would I become a courier? I certainly don't want to, myself, it sounds like a hilariously dangerous job in the Fallout universe. It also implied that I should be relatively familiar with the Mojave wasteland and was comfortable getting from place to place, which was certainly not true as a level 1 courier with no landmarks on the map and possible death around every rock.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Nov 17, 2015

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Phenotype posted:

Honestly, I thought New Vegas' Courier backstory was the hardest to get into -- it implied that I'd been born and lived my entire life in the wasteland and wasn't intellectual enough to find a better profession than "courier", or maybe I was a drifter-type? Why would I become a courier? I certainly don't want to, myself. It also implied that I should be relatively familiar with the Mojave wasteland and was comfortable getting from place to place, which was certainly not true as a level 1 courier with no landmarks on the map and possible death around every rock.

i always read it as the shot to the head pretty much wiped out your memories of why exactly you wanted to be a courier, as they certainly wiped the memories of what you did at the divide

it's also generally stated that couriers weren't really dedicated couriers, they were wanderer types that delivered packages when they were low on caps and essentially just wandered about and explored

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

2house2fly posted:

In Alpha Protocol you get to choose your backstory :smug:

In Alpha Protocol the only thing that was established was that you were emotionally manipulative, which is really just "person who plays RPGs"

Inside Outside posted:

Where are you in the main plot? All the companions you meet as part of the main story will, at one point, temporarily take off so they can show up for a plot sequence.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Sperglord Firecock posted:

i always read it as the shot to the head pretty much wiped out your memories of why exactly you wanted to be a courier, as they certainly wiped the memories of what you did at the divide

it's also generally stated that couriers weren't really dedicated couriers, they were wanderer types that delivered packages when they were low on caps and essentially just wandered about and explored

But that just raises further questions! Why am I wandering around? Couldn't hack it as a farmer? Raider gang fell apart? Do I like the lonely road? It implies a significant backstory, one with some variability, sure, but it still makes me try to explain it away somehow, and it still means that my terrified level 1 courier has been at this for some time.

"You have been raised in Vault X and need to leave the vault for the first time for this big important thing" feels like much more of a blank slate, comparatively speaking, because it doesn't imply a past beyond "grew up, experienced the wasteland for the first time".

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

So which faction are most of you guys siding with? I've joined all of them at this point and am thinking Institute just for the sake of it. All the plot lines are kind of weak.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Meridian posted:

So which faction are most of you guys siding with? I've joined all of them at this point and am thinking Institute just for the sake of it. All the plot lines are kind of weak.
Fat Man

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Meridian posted:

railroad gives you the train rifle
choose wisely for freedom and CHOO CHOO

Phenotype posted:

But that just raises further questions! Why am I wandering around? Couldn't hack it as a farmer? Raider gang fell apart? Do I like the lonely road? It implies a significant backstory, one with some variability, sure, but it still makes me try to explain it away somehow, and it still means that my terrified level 1 courier has been at this for some time.

"You have been raised in Vault X and need to leave the vault for the first time for this big important thing" feels like much more of a blank slate, comparatively speaking, because it doesn't imply a past beyond "grew up, experienced the wasteland for the first time".
'literally anything -> oops you got shot in the head carrying a thing' is less of a blank slate than 'you grew up in a vault'?? i don't get it
like the latter can fit into the former but not vice versa

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I was going to wait for the GOTY edition, since I'd have a better computer by then, but videogames softly call. What sort of performance do you think I'd get with a 750 Ti@1680x1050?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Otacon posted:

this thread would only be half as many pages if lady naga would just stop loving posting 10 times every loving page
Just ignore them, all their posts lead back to :canofworms: anyway.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

i straight up killed father when he first appeared.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Phenotype posted:

lonesome road actually explains pretty well why you're wandering around

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

How does settlers producing food work anyway? Is it producing up to 6 food, or is it only being able to work 6 plants?

If it's the latter, I can't see any reason to plant anything other than Mutfruit.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Icedude posted:

How does settlers producing food work anyway? Is it producing up to 6 food, or is it only being able to work 6 plants?

If it's the latter, I can't see any reason to plant anything other than Mutfruit.

6 food of any combination afaik

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Meridian posted:

I have no idea what the Institute's goals are even after beating the game. Something about doing vague science experiments that they'll never share with the wasteland until an arbitrary time or when everyone up above dies.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

SunAndSpring posted:

I have no idea what the Institute goals are even after beating the game. Something about doing vague science experiments that they'll never share with the wasteland until an arbitrary time or when everyone up above dies.

no, you've pretty much got it down pat

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Just had my first crash leaving the Prydwen. :toot:

Also Sanctuary's still losing happiness for no reason. Down to 50% now. Whatever I guess.

quote:

i would totally be okay with this, but it's directly stated that lorenzo cabot discovered the helmet and its powers in the late 1800's and it made his blood an immortality elixir shortly afterwards

I excluded Cthulu for a reason (it's just a little bit of fun), though psychics and stuff have been in the series since Fallout 1.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

RBA Starblade posted:

I think they treat threats slightly differently; like if you're somewhere you shouldn't be the cop mode will shoot you, if you have a subway token the subway guard mode will ignore you until you attack it, etc.
Subway protectrons will loving end you whether you've got a token or not. And don't pull out a gun in sight of a police one. The medbot ones just electrocute me on sight so I dunno what the hell, and I assume the firefighters will poo poo napalm and I have enough indoor explosions thank you!

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
^ - For me the Protectrons won't attack me unless I attack someone else so I turn them on and sneak around until they've cleared the area.

Am I right in assuming that each faction has a Battle of Bunker Hill mission and I can do each factions quests up until they give me that mission?

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Reason posted:

Am I right in assuming that each faction has a Battle of Bunker Hill mission and I can do each factions quests up until they give me that mission?

some factions kill off another faction too

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

coyo7e posted:

Just ignore them, all their posts lead back to :canofworms: anyway.

Lady Naga's posts I can easily filter out, but what gets me is how they calmly drop a couple of poorly-thought out, half-baked observations that make a bunch of people legitimately angry who then won't shut up about how Tumblr is ruining this or that and then start railing about some random strawmen liberals they've thought up in their head.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

RBA Starblade posted:

Just had my first crash leaving the Prydwen. :toot:

Also Sanctuary's still losing happiness for no reason. Down to 50% now. Whatever I guess.

I excluded Cthulu for a reason (it's just a little bit of fun), though psychics and stuff have been in the series since Fallout 1.

Build happiness items, decorations etc.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

coyo7e posted:

Subway protectrons will loving end you whether you've got a token or not. And don't pull out a gun in sight of a police one. The medbot ones just electrocute me on sight so I dunno what the hell, and I assume the firefighters will poo poo napalm and I have enough indoor explosions thank you!

Apparently if you are wearing a hardhat the construction worker one won't attack you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

the cabot house quest line takes you inside the asylum to get that booblehead
Yes, which is begun by speaking to the NPC I mentioned. :ughh:

• Locked thread