Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

majormonotone posted:

I think Ryan North is too. Probably also, like, Christopher Hastings and Danielle Corsetto and all of the Webcomic Famous crew. I'm sure he's a perfectly nice guy in person, or whatever, but on the Internet he just comes across as a creepy weirdo with a badly written webcomic that updates once a year (unless he's actually updating at a regular pace now, I don't really keep up with him for obvious reasons)

It's pretty regular now, but it's not as often as he's supposed to update based on his patreon rewards, so all is right with the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Pavlov posted:

Why do we have to have this conversation every time it comes up?

Because it's really edgy and trendy to hate a popular webcomic that's mostly popular because it updates a lot, when people should really just chill the gently caress out and read what they actually like.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

mycot posted:

To be fair isn't Kate Beaton a personal friend of Diaz too? Maybe he's really nice in person.

remember the extremely public meltdown he had over Mary Cagle making a mild joke that, naming no names, implied there was something unsavory about his webcomics waifu

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

remember the extremely public meltdown he had over Mary Cagle making a mild joke that, naming no names, implied there was something unsavory about his webcomics waifu

majormonotone posted:

I think Ryan North is too. Probably also, like, Christopher Hastings and Danielle Corsetto and all of the Webcomic Famous crew. I'm sure he's a perfectly nice guy in person, or whatever, but on the Internet he just comes across as a creepy weirdo with a badly written webcomic that updates once a year (unless he's actually updating at a regular pace now, I don't really keep up with him for obvious reasons)

I think we agree with each other since I meant that as a backhanded complement. :v:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

remember the extremely public meltdown he had over Mary Cagle making a mild joke that, naming no names, implied something negative about his webcomics waifu

Yeah.

From what I've heard from people who have interacted with Diaz irl, he's a belligerent narcist. And the only funny thing about QC are the edits and the fact the artist cuts himself if Tumblr tells him that he drew a fat character not fat enough.

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND
Diaz seems like the kind of person who really just needs a PR person to slap his hand and go "no, Aaron" when he lets his ego go out of check. He could be the nicest man in the world in person, but his attitude online is just so smug and insufferable that he almost feels like a parody instead of a real person, and his policy of just mass-blocking after even the lightest of ribbings makes it clear he has very little intention of changing himself in that regard.

Also, dude needs to just admit to himself that he enjoys drawing sexy cyborg ladies because he likes sexy cyborg ladies, instead of hiding behind gross assertions of "empowerment" or "celebrating women's bodies" or the like. There's really nothing shameful about it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The closest I've come to Aaron Diaz was seeing him sulking by himself at a booth at a con. Maybe he's really charming in personal interactions but that's certainly not the impression he gave off.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

when you're a webcomics person and there's like a dozen other people who do what you do, you're all struggling to make a living, none of you even had a revenue model until a couple years ago, and the only other people your work puts you in regular contact with are your horrific loving fans, I feel like you probably don't really get to pick your friends

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND

when you're a webcomics person and there's like a dozen other people who do what you do, you're all struggling to make a living, none of you even had a revenue model until a couple years ago, and the only other people your work puts you in regular contact with are your horrific loving fans, I feel like you probably don't really get to pick your friends

As a webcomics person, I have to disagree, the community's pretty fuckin' huge and interconnected. Being able to draw and throw fanart at people also tends to speed up the friendship process.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Ehh, there's a difference between modern webcomics and back in the day. Even before patreon, before kickstarter, before cafepress and topatoco, there were the dark days when not even ads guaranteed a steady revenue stream because you were having to change services every few months when your last guy stiffed you on the money. Really, anyone who was in the business pre-facebook had their work cut out for them.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hanging out with Ryan North on the Truth And Beauty Bombs forums back in the day was pretty fun :shrug:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Pavlov posted:

Why do we have to have this conversation every time it comes up?

Because it's been a couple of months and we must appease the gods by ranting about a mediocre yet ultimately non-offensive subject.

(Also whatever it's more interesting than reading "whoa that demon page" posted at a daily interval)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Speaking of which I feel cheated of a baby fight.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Oh god(s)dammit, it's Banjo isn't it?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's the teleport orb, but Elan's gonna come along and Banjo'll cause the upset. There's an OotS thread.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

TwoPair posted:

Because it's been a couple of months and we must appease the gods by ranting about a mediocre yet ultimately non-offensive subject.

(Also whatever it's more interesting than reading "whoa that demon page" posted at a daily interval)

Well then let's talk about other webcomics!

Beeserker is a webcomic about a robot powered by bees and its albino invincible creators. Joining them are a family of beekeepers, an immobile cat, and a centaur who advertises for cigarettes. Not the most intellectually stimulating thing, but I find it good enough for a chuckle every now and then and like the designs of the characters. It recently added a new character to its cast and seems to be getting another one.

Snarlbear is a story about a girl's adventure through a dangerous and colorful land. Along the way she makes a few friends and picks up the basics of monster punching. Very colorful and striking art.

Skullkickers is a pulpy comic that follows a monster slaying duo around. On their travels, they meet an elf who wants to fulfill her destiny, a demon who wants to take over the world, and an intergalactic elder god who wants to take over all the worlds. Hijinks ensue.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

It wasn't even saying it was unsavory, it was saying it shouldn't pretend to be what it's obviously not.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wiegieman posted:

Because it's really edgy and trendy to hate a popular webcomic that's mostly popular because it updates a lot, when people should really just chill the gently caress out and read what they actually like.

Do you chalk up every instance of ambient negativity to it being trendy?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

djw175 posted:

Snarlbear is a story about a girl's adventure through a dangerous and colorful land. Along the way she makes a few friends and picks up the basics of monster punching. Very colorful and striking art..

I am a big fan of the Snarlbear art and coloring.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

No, just the repetitive ones. I could not care less about questionable content. I get a little annoyed when things with merit are ignored in favor of the same stupid talking points. If people want to eat millet once a day instead of steak once a week, who cares? This is the internet, go find something you like. Otherwise you're just being boring.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

those loving cool kids talking about their internet comics, think they're so much better than me, yeah, I'll show them some day

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
QC is actually incredibly bad. The art is extremely poor, and the writing is so boring that it's repellent.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 17, 2015

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

QC is actually incredibly bad. The art is extremely poor, and the writing is so boring that it's repellent.

Actually, It's Good.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Not So Fast posted:

Actually, It's Good.

Don't do this to me.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
More webcomics then!

Tove is a neat little goofy webcomic about a girl and her brother doing stuff after the end of the world.

Lost Nightmare is a cute webcomic about a nightmare and a dream trying to find the sandman. It's cute looking, but I don't really like its pacing.

The Glass Scientists is a comic about a bunch of mad scientists and their most recent addition, a werewolf botanist. It looks neat, but the author only seems to have one face with differing amounts of hair.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I think the disappointing thing about QC is it's like just right below good. Like Jeph is really close to having a much better comic he just doesn't go over that hump and do more interesting things with it. Instead he just keeps treading water.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

djw175 posted:

More webcomics then!

Tove is a neat little goofy webcomic about a girl and her brother doing stuff after the end of the world.

Lost Nightmare is a cute webcomic about a nightmare and a dream trying to find the sandman. It's cute looking, but I don't really like its pacing.

The Glass Scientists is a comic about a bunch of mad scientists and their most recent addition, a werewolf botanist. It looks neat, but the author only seems to have one face with differing amounts of hair.

Decent

Anime (bad)

Anime (bad)

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I think the disappointing thing about QC is it's like just right below good. Like Jeph is really close to having a much better comic he just doesn't go over that hump and do more interesting things with it. Instead he just keeps treading water.

"Right below good"

Notice the inexpressive line-work, the boxy, unnatural shapes that dominate the background, and the colouring that looks like it came out of MS Paint.

e: Like Red Robot towers over Pink Anime. Why not express that through perspective?

(The answer is that Jeph Jacques cannot draw)

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 17, 2015

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
(bad is right below good)

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

"Right below good"

Notice the inexpressive line-work, the boxy, unnatural shapes that dominate the background, and the colouring that looks like it came out of MS Paint.

e: Like Red Robot towers over Pink Anime. Why not express that through perspective?

Ugh there's barely even any garfield to remove from that one.

Ungarfable.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

djw175 posted:

More webcomics then!

Good try, appreciate the links to some stuff I haven't seen before. Once the circlejerk starts these idiots never stop though.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Pavlov posted:

Ungarfable.

This word is the only good thing to ever come out of goon chat about QC, so thank you.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
There should be a rule against linking webcomics still in their prologue (Tove :argh:)

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I liked skullkickers until it turned into a wierd western

Now i love it!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

djw175 posted:

Snarlbear is a story about a girl's adventure through a dangerous and colorful land. Along the way she makes a few friends and picks up the basics of monster punching. Very colorful and striking art.

this looks like it might be good ty

in the same vein Stonebreaker is p rad

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

This is why I eventually abandoned it. Some of the older strips made me laugh but I also have exceptionally poor taste as evidences by the amount of time I read Sluggy Freelance and Something Positive. The only things I'll say in my defense is that I abandoned Megatokyo before it became (by reputation) completely embarrassing and never even hopped on board the Erfworld train so even my poor taste has an outer limit.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Erfworld is really good, though.

Honestly, Megatokyo is also pretty good; it just updates so rarely it's hard to remember it still exists. It's kind of like Dresden Codak except that its continued existence as a business elicits emotions like "pity" and "confusion" instead of "rage" and "irritation."

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
yeah what's wrong with erfworld? I mean aside from the guy not being able to decide if he wants a comic or a novel.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I remember people being really skeeved out by the whole rape dungeon thing in the earlier text sections, but that was a while ago

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

(bad is right below good)

No, there is something between the two. It's :mediocre:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

NorgLyle posted:

This is why I eventually abandoned it. Some of the older strips made me laugh but I also have exceptionally poor taste as evidences by the amount of time I read Sluggy Freelance and Something Positive. The only things I'll say in my defense is that I abandoned Megatokyo before it became (by reputation) completely embarrassing and never even hopped on board the Erfworld train so even my poor taste has an outer limit.

I can't stop gawking at Megatokyo and Fred.

• Locked thread