Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

It's still my go-to bathroom reader. It only gets really obnoxious when they do the annual superlawyer bullshit and there's 150 pages of law firm ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Abbott has said he will not allow Syrian refugees to resettle in Texas because scary muslims!!! Ted Cruz has also said we should only accept Christian refugees.

http://www.texastribune.org/2015/11/16/texas-block-syrian-refugee-resettlement-abbott-say/

quote:

"Given the tragic attacks in Paris and the threats we have already seen, Texas cannot participate in any program that will result in Syrian refugees — any one of whom could be connected to terrorism — being resettled in Texas," Abbott wrote in a letter to President Barack Obama.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I know it won't stop him but I'm 100% positive that's not his call

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I don't know if he can stop them from living here but he directed the state refugee support services not to help them or something.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

All the Republican Governors are taking this opportunity to inject themselves into the War on Terror.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Badger of Basra posted:

I don't know if he can stop them from living here but he directed the state refugee support services not to help them or something.

I'm not sure that's legal either, but Texas is pretty good at "oh, you think we're illegally discriminating? prove it in court :smug: "

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Do refugees have constitutional rights? Genuine question, I don't know anything about refugee law other then that we're obligated to take some.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea again I'm sure it won't stop him but I'm pretty sure he can't just say 'well then I'll tell the people in charge of carrying out a federal decision not to do it' either.

e: I don't think they have constitutional rights but I'm pretty sure we have a set of rules for treatment of them and all that's basically 'don't gently caress with the people fleeing genocide and poo poo, you idiots'.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Constitutional rights were not a citizens only thing last I looked.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Yeah, but clearly the LORD was talking about Greg Abbott, everybody else can get hosed. :smug:

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

The Lord dropped a loving tree on Greg Abbott though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

His birthday was on Friday, I bet y'all didn't get him anything.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

ISIS gave him a huge gift so I figured I didn't have to.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

zoux posted:

No,but now I get to tell my brother he shares a birthday with a horrible person.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah constitutional rights are for everyone, we all have the right to a speedy and fair trial and whatever else have you.

It's a shame it's that way...

Cause I want to take abbots right to speak.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Cause I want to take abbots right to speak.

So say we all.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Constitutional rights were not a citizens only thing last I looked.

You haven't read the drone memos then.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

duz posted:

You haven't read the drone memos then.

Constitutional rights apply based on territory, last I looked drone strikes were happening outside of US territory.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

Abbott has said he will not allow Syrian refugees to resettle in Texas because scary muslims!!! Ted Cruz has also said we should only accept Christian refugees.

http://www.texastribune.org/2015/11/16/texas-block-syrian-refugee-resettlement-abbott-say/

Of course, the terrible punchline to this joke is that the goal of the group responsible for Paris was to sow distrust and bigotry against Muslims so that refugees and local Muslims can be radicalized.

Good job Abbott, you're helping the terrorists. :argh:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

smoobles posted:

The Lord dropped a loving tree on Greg Abbott though.

Lord needs to work on his aim.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Spacebump posted:

I've always thought of Houston as liberal leaning but how did HERO lose so badly in a liberal leaning city?

Because a referendum on making tumblr.txt into law was unpopular.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
All I know is that this poo poo is making Facebook insufferable to the point where I'm thinking of deactivating my account again. All of a sudden, tons of people seem to care about homeless veterans now when they never did before.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What do homeless veterans have to do with Syrian refugees?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

zoux posted:

"Why do anything for the latter when we still have the former", basically.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

zoux posted:

The idea being we should be taking care of homeless vets instead of worrying about refugees.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

zoux posted:

They are a convenient group to say "Instead of doing X, we should be doing Y" with.
x= helping Syrians
y= helping vets.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

blue squares posted:

They are a convenient group to say "Instead of doing X, we should be doing Y" with.
x= helping Syrians
y= helping vets.

"Ok let's do Y then"
"Government's already too big"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Good article about how Abbott so far is notable for chasing headlines.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
Abbott is like that one relative you have on Facebook who buys into whatever wingnut memes pop up on his dashboard and will then tune out anything contradictory no matter what.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

If anyone is looking for ways to donate or volunteer for refugee services in Texas, I found this site:

http://www.rstx.org/

gently caress Greg Abbott.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Also a rally at the Governor's Mansion on Sunday at noon for any Austinites.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The Houston mayor race is loving insane. Apparently Bell endorsed King who's now saying he'll bring HERO back to a vote and Turner is getting King's old crazy endorsements saying 'eh the people have voted though'.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Nov 19, 2015

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
I have no loving clue what bell was doing. I saw someone razor blading his bumper sticker off their car this morning. Like, bell was the choice for the people who wanted to register a further progressive choice from Turner, and now he's endorsing King? Is it just a case of something having snapped and he's just a complete sellout? Does he just loving hate Turner or something?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Houston politics are all hosed up man.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx
Oh boy, Fox knows their next fear-cycle to gin up. Syrian refugees invading through Texas!

quote:

Testing the gates? Syrians nabbed south of the border stoke terror fears

Two separate reports of groups of America-bound Syrians detained below the U.S. southern border in recent days are raising concerns that Islamic State militants could be probing security – and stoking fears some may already be here.

Honduran authorities on Tuesday arrested five Syrians they said were headed for the U.S. with stolen or doctored Greek passports, but later said the men were college students fleeing war at home. On the same day and 1,800 miles north, two Syrian families were taken into custody at a border checkpoint in Texas.

“Members of two Syrian families, two men, two women and four children, presented themselves at a port of entry in Laredo,” a Department of Homeland Security spokeswoman told FoxNews.com Thursday. “They were taken into custody by CBP and turned over to ICE for further processing.”

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

e_angst posted:

Oh boy, Fox knows their next fear-cycle to gin up. Syrian refugees invading through Texas!

Oh no! Students and families looking for safety! Truly this is the greatest threat America has ever faced.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
Literally the only way to get refugee status is to show up at the US boarder. I have 2 cousins who did it from through Mexico. 2 years ago when they did it not only did they take them and their families into custody ( 2 wives and 3 underaged kids total) they also took my dad (a US citizen for at least 30 years) and my other cousin, their brother (Also a US citizen with children) into custody.

They let my dad and cousin go after 12-24 hours. They kept my cousins for a month or 2 (they did let there families go stay with my parents after a couple days)

I can't imagine how hard it is to get here without help from someone who is already here.

Also knowing that all this bullshit only hurts Syrians while giving ISIS what they want and not making us safer literally makes me sick. We should all be putting Syrian flags on our FB pictures. Everyday there is like that one day in Paris.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Lloyd Doggett and Marc Veasey voted for the republican anti-refugee bill for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

Badger of Basra posted:

Lloyd Doggett and Marc Veasey voted for the republican anti-refugee bill for some reason.

It was very clearly unwhipped-suggesting the Dems know it'll die in the Senate-without requiring any vote that could be used against them later. For reference, it was such a nonissue that Muslim MN rep Keith Ellison flew home instead of delaying his trip to vote.

Unlikely to face a challenge from the left over these votes ("I'm not denying entry! Just insisting on proper security to keep us safe!") But it may help them in their next general. It's still cowardly, of course, but the media has overhyped the nonsymbolic importance.