Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

koreban posted:

You didn't react so negatively the last time we played and I put you over the barrel.

I have never lost a game of Warhammer 40,000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Blood Angels are the cult troops for the Chaos God of Impotent Nerd Rage

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DeadGame posted:

What are Shattered Legions? All the loyalist joes who survived Istvaan and don't have a home? I thought they got absorbed into the Ultramarines or became grey knights or something.

Shattered Legions are groups of who the gently caress knows which legions bound together by circumstance - say, some Raven Guard and Salamanders grabbed a Thunderhawk and got off Istvaan, then scooted on an Alpha Legion strike cruiser which had also picked up some loyalist Death Guard fleeing the purge of their legion, or some Iron Hands who gave up after Ferrus' death and fell in with some Night Lords who were also playing host to a squad of Emperor's Children that had fallen out of Fulgrim's favor.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
Since I enjoy reading this thread I thought it be a good idea to contribute to it with some WIP's. Today I managed to get some decent hobby time and I spent most of it on these here Gal Vorbak and a little with Erebus. I'm aiming to have these bad boys done by the end of the week and if I don't finish them this thread has free reign to call me nasty names (like Bulbasaur).

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Pimp! What are you going to do with the boltguns?

Also which one of these dumpstered my Archmagos last time we played?

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

BULBASAUR posted:

Pimp! What are you going to do with the boltguns?

Also which one of these dumpstered my Archmagos last time we played?

Think I'll got just with standard black but alot of them have got crazy mutations so Ill be sure to them justice.

I think its the guy with sphincter for a face.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I love the face on Erebus, Sisko.

Demons
May 27, 2011
Got my Forge World order in. Trying not to think about how much this cost.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
I got curious but now I'm confused. Do FW sell upgrade kits by component? Like your ~£11 only gets you a handful of either pads, torsos, or heads?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

spacegoat posted:

I got curious but now I'm confused. Do FW sell upgrade kits by component? Like your ~£11 only gets you a handful of either pads, torsos, or heads?

Yeah generally ten packs of shoulders and heads, five packs of torso, or full squad upgrades which have ten of each.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
So £44 to fully upgrade ten Ultramarines (£25)? :psyduck:

Which is £0.50 more expensive than buying the torsos, heads, and shoulder pads separately?

:psyboom:

spacegoat fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Nov 17, 2015

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

spacegoat posted:

Which is £0.50 more expensive than buying the torsos, heads, and shoulder pads separately?

Welcome to 30k and Forge World's wonderful pricing.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Pro-tip: Don't use upgrade parts on every loving model. Who cares if a tactical marine doesn't have a legion-specific torso or helmet?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
How compatible are the 30k bits with 40k bits? If I wanted to get some of the Calth bits from a Veteran Tactical Squad to stick onto some 40k Night Lords Kill Team, I would think that it would be a 100% fit but I don't want to assume.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

spacegoat posted:

11.50 x3 is 34.50 +10 is 44.50.... So you save £0.50 :v:

Completely compatible, these guys are a mix of plastic, forgeworld, and fine cast.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 17, 2015

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

PantsOptional posted:

How compatible are the 30k bits with 40k bits? If I wanted to get some of the Calth bits from a Veteran Tactical Squad to stick onto some 40k Night Lords Kill Team, I would think that it would be a 100% fit but I don't want to assume.

All Space Marine bits are made to be interchangeable; go nuts.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

Hencoe posted:

11.50 x3 is 34.50 +10 is 44.50.... So you save £0.50 :v:

Gah, maths.

Broguts
Oct 16, 2014
So Betrayal at Calth is 180 CAD. But any upgrade set from forgeworld is 450CAD, do those shoulder pads and helmets really add an additional 270 dollars of value GW?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Broguts posted:

So Betrayal at Calth is 180 CAD. But any upgrade set from forgeworld is 450CAD, do those shoulder pads and helmets really add an additional 270 dollars of value GW?
You don't need the dumb upgrade packs. Shoulderpads, sure, some helmets to spread around, maybe. Torsos are expensive as hell and drive the cost up considerably. Unless the models are posed specifically to show off their sweet chest armor, no one will even notice. Bolters cover up a lot of real estate. I can see shelling out for veterans or a command squad, but not the basic guys.

Again,

Safety Factor posted:

Pro-tip: Don't use upgrade parts on every loving model. Who cares if a tactical marine doesn't have a legion-specific torso or helmet?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Forgeworld do a transfer sheet for most legions.

Would probably cover a whole box.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Thundercloud posted:

Forgeworld do a transfer sheet for most legions.

Would probably cover a whole box.

Most of their legion decal sheets have something like 500 decals on them. It'll more than cover an entire box.

I've done a few dozen marines in two different legions in Mk II, III and IV armour. You really don't need an upgrade pack unless you want the extra prettiness. A decal sheet is far cheaper, and if you are using micro sol and micro set, you're good to go.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Yeah the transfer sheet is a better route IMO, for my Legion (unless it's Thousand Sons) I'll likely save the molded shoulder guards for captains etc.

MrSquarepants
Jul 4, 2012
Please correct me if i'm wrong, but is the only way to play 30k by buying the FW Heresy books(the book specific to your legion)? And all those add rules wise are the army lists, which all use core 40k rules? I have some space marines from a couple years ago that have been collecting dust. I'd like to give my old models a new lease on life and try 30k, but I don't want to spend $100+ on rules. Is there any other cheaper way of seeing 30k rules? Sorry if this has already been asked before!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Something something 40k lib ru.

Broguts
Oct 16, 2014

Safety Factor posted:

You don't need the dumb upgrade packs. Shoulderpads, sure, some helmets to spread around, maybe. Torsos are expensive as hell and drive the cost up considerably. Unless the models are posed specifically to show off their sweet chest armor, no one will even notice. Bolters cover up a lot of real estate. I can see shelling out for veterans or a command squad, but not the basic guys.

Again,

I'm not getting the dumb upgrade packs because A: they're dumb. B: They're nearly 500 loving dollars what the gently caress.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

MrSquarepants posted:

Please correct me if i'm wrong, but is the only way to play 30k by buying the FW Heresy books(the book specific to your legion)? And all those add rules wise are the army lists, which all use core 40k rules? I have some space marines from a couple years ago that have been collecting dust. I'd like to give my old models a new lease on life and try 30k, but I don't want to spend $100+ on rules. Is there any other cheaper way of seeing 30k rules? Sorry if this has already been asked before!

30k is not just an army list, there are a lot of other changes that make it different. The rules also cost less than a GW codex.

That said, if you just want to read through them before you buy anything, you can always :filez:

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

ijyt posted:

Something something 40k lib ru.

Dude I have dug out 14 chain axes if you want them. They have a mixture of left and right hands attached and I can send you some handless arms with them but they should not be too hard to attach to any plastic arms. PM me your address.

I also have a ton of SoH pads which anyone can have if they give me a shout.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Crossposting from the Painting Thread.

SteelMentor posted:

Finished my first Marine (sans transfers, they're late) for my Heresy Alpha Legion. Really growing to love the Betrayal at Calith kits, the Mark IV armour's such a joy to paint with it's clean panels and minimalist details.

(Do excuse the lighting.)

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

SteelMentor posted:

Crossposting from the Painting Thread.

Hell yeah.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Wow that Alpha legionnaire is fantastic. Would you mind posting your paint scheme? I wouldn't mind trying my hand at that.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

DeadGame posted:

Wow that Alpha legionnaire is fantastic. Would you mind posting your paint scheme? I wouldn't mind trying my hand at that.

Just so happens I just posted it in the Painting Thread.

SteelMentor posted:

Prime White,
Base Leadbelcher,
Layer Ironbreaker, then Runefang Steel atop of that,
Layer Guilliman Blue til you reach a nice strong blue,
Wash with thined Thraka Green (or whatever the dark green wash is called now) to give it that more teal colour.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Chosing a legion is hard work. Now im stuck between Alpha Legion, Ultramarines (lolnope) and Loyalist SoH with Loyalist DG allies.

gently caress.

:negative:

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Broguts posted:

I'm not getting the dumb upgrade packs because A: they're dumb. B: They're nearly 500 loving dollars what the gently caress.

There is a way... The way of communism.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

DJ Dizzy posted:

Chosing a legion is hard work. Now im stuck between Alpha Legion, Ultramarines (lolnope) and Loyalist SoH with Loyalist DG allies.

gently caress.

:negative:

Go Alpha Legion, and steal all the other Legions' poo poo :smug:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SteelMentor posted:

Play a good legion, don't need to steal all the other Legions' poo poo.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
Everyone is Alpharius :black101:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
No, it's me. I'm Alpharius

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

No, it's me. I'm Alpharius

Alpha Legion stole your IW upgrade kits.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

SteelMentor posted:

Its just so eurgh. Im not a big fan of being forced to use rhinos unless I want to infiltrate my entire army. AL also seems to be too dependent on that sweet sweet armywide preferred enemy that comes with alpharius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
If you're having trouble picking a legion this blog seems to have good descriptions of the various special units and legion rules:

http://warpstoneflux.blogspot.com/search/label/world%20eaters

Just click a legion filter name at the bottom to get all the posts.