Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Failboattootoot posted:

I hope this isn't a reference to the removal of skills, because skills were complete trash in fallout and are complete trash in every game they've been implemented in. From video games to tabletop, skills are the worst convention and I am glad they are dying off.

However you feel about them, they were a way to represent and build your character and Bethesda didn't provide a meaningful alternative to fill that void.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Charisma and Agility are awesome. VATS is awesome. L**y Gaga is the most wrong person on the planet.

I have made a collect in my city to have L**y Galatea shut the gently caress up.

Heres the result, many bottle caps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hLohNKwTYM

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Tei posted:

Charisma and Agility are awesome. VATS is awesome. Lady Gaga is the most wrong person on the planet.

I have made a collect in my city to have Lady Galatea shut the gently caress up.

Heres the result, many bottle caps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hLohNKwTYM

I think you might be severely mentally ill, friend.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
The fact that your character doesn't freak the gently caress out about two red commie bastards running the Dugout Inn in Diamond City, despite being frozen when this was a big thing, bothers me in ways I cannot fully articulate.

I'm not losing any sleep over the writing really, it's standard Bethesda fare, but man they could've had a lot of fun with the "Man out of time" concept. The conversation you can have with the baseball bat merchant is pretty funny though.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Do the trade posts you can build give you a lot of caps? I'm considering ranking up in the perk so I can build them.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

So I beat the game as part of the BoS, what happens if You join the Institute? What are their plans, what are they working towards etc

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Sandweed posted:

Do the trade posts you can build give you a lot of caps? I'm considering ranking up in the perk so I can build them.

Yes and no. No because it would take forever to recoup the cost of establishing the stalls to begin with. I have 6 stalls in Sanctuary and it generates a piddly amount of caps. Yes because having access to a bunch of vendors with a high amount of caps allows you to offload a bunch of poo poo efficiently.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Songbearer posted:

The fact that your character doesn't freak the gently caress out about two red commie bastards running the Dugout Inn in Diamond City, despite being frozen when this was a big thing, bothers me in ways I cannot fully articulate.

To be fair the 21st century America was probably so xenophobic and isolationist that the average American soldier didn't know what a Russian accent sounded like, especially considering they never actually fought the Russians out in the field (?)

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Songbearer posted:

I'm not losing any sleep over the writing really, it's standard Bethesda fare, but man they could've had a lot of fun with the "Man out of time" concept. The conversation you can have with the baseball bat merchant is pretty funny though.

yeah this really bums me out 'cuz i thought they were gonna do more with it
i just wanna be a weirdo freaking out at the post apocalypse instead of just "oh yeah i guess i was alive back then" "really? well ok"

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Someone respond about my characters affinity for legendary chest pieces. I want cool legendary guns, not a raiders leather chest piece with -15% damage while sprinting

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Hipster Occultist posted:

So I beat the game as part of the BoS, what happens if You join the Institute? What are their plans, what are they working towards etc

Their plans are make more robots or make better guns for robots. Their plan is to remain underground forever which requires a robot army even though the only way to get to them is teleportation.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
I need a mod that lets you slap the Railroad paint job for the T-51 onto the X-01 suit.

Although this isn't a bad combination. :black101:

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Fereydun posted:

yeah this really bums me out 'cuz i thought they were gonna do more with it
i just wanna be a weirdo freaking out at the post apocalypse instead of just "oh yeah i guess i was alive back then" "really? well ok"

It actually does make a lot more sense when you considering that there are still pre-war ghouls roaming about.

:) "I was there when the bombs hit 200 years ago, it was awful"
:zombie: "YEAH I KNOW I WAS THERE"

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I was thinking about quest/NPC mods and voiced PC. I'm sure if you can re-use any dialogue lines from the PC you can create working new conversations and only voice the new NPC.

And naturally, these will all have sub-Bethesda writing/acting just like Interesting NPCs for Skyrim.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Piper - "Do you like newspapers?"
PC - "Yeah, RIP."

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there any way to get Piper to go back to Diamond City? I had to make her my companion to finish the interview quest and when I went to switch back to my annoying dog I only had options to send her to my settlements. Like, it's nice that you don't mind hanging out with a handful of settlers and a junkie fortuneteller in a ruined cul-de-sac in the middle of nowhere but you've got a kid sister to take care of at home lady!

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Songbearer posted:

I think the weirder thing is that apparently Danse will apparently be mildly hostile to that protectron Takahashi for (in his opinion) probably being a Chinese spy. Which makes no sense considering he is from centuries after the conflict with China or their spies were even a serious thing to worry about. I guess it's mostly supposed to be for laughs like "Haha Danse can't tell the difference between China and Japan."

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

bango skank posted:

Is there any way to get Piper to go back to Diamond City? I had to make her my companion to finish the interview quest and when I went to switch back to my annoying dog I only had options to send her to my settlements. Like, it's nice that you don't mind hanging out with a handful of settlers and a junkie fortuneteller in a ruined cul-de-sac in the middle of nowhere but you've got a kid sister to take care of at home lady!

Yeah, just don't pick anything and they return to their default place (Push Tab, iirc).

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
At least the Ghouls don't all have that stupid gravely voice from Fallout 3 and New Vegas, Dean Domino not talking like that was the highlight of New Vegas.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I picked up a 50 cal Sniper Rifle from some raiders that seemed way above my level at the time and now everything is trivial. The only time I die now is when a missile instantly blows me up.

I've somehow ended up with 400 bullets for this thing and there's no reason to use anything else.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

iGestalt posted:

Yeah, just don't pick anything and they return to their default place (Push Tab, iirc).

How intuitive! :downs:

Thanks.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Minorkos posted:

It actually does make a lot more sense when you considering that there are still pre-war ghouls roaming about.

:) "I was there when the bombs hit 200 years ago, it was awful"
:zombie: "YEAH I KNOW I WAS THERE"

thats actually something i liked a bit, where like some dudes would just respond with like "well thats neat" and leave it at that because the wasteland is batshit crazy anyways
but pretty much everyone being like that when you can mention it sucks, especially for how sparsely it's actually used

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I threw two points into the barter skill but I'm still getting trash prices in Diamond City market. Didn't have time to test it before I went to bed last night, but does it only effect shops you build at your base or something?

Got 6 Charisma if that counts for anything.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Fereydun posted:

thats actually something i liked a bit, where like some dudes would just respond with like "well thats neat" and leave it at that because the wasteland is batshit crazy anyways
but pretty much everyone being like that when you can mention it sucks, especially for how sparsely it's actually used

You can mention it to a few pre-war ghouls but as far as I have seen they never really go into specifics. Mostly because all but one think you're insane or have just read lots of well preserved history.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I think I liked Curie a lot more when she was an adorable metal robot buddy with saws for hands. The quest wouldn't let me opt out of the operation!

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Curie should have asked you to put her in an assaultron instead

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

so with the battle for bunker hill, is there any reason not to tell both the railroad and the brotherhood what's gonna happen?

also I remember posting about this earlier, but here's the AI being stupid in action https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du1BihYnJd0

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Some high quality vertibird piloting right there. :cripes:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it never blew up or left the water, so I can only assume it's still there

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus
This game is really hitting a sweet spot for me right now. After the excellent writing and pretty involved quests of The Witcher, it's actually a nice change of pace to have quests that are pretty much "go here, kill dude, loot this." The world is so densely packed and atmospheric that just exploring it is enough for me - I haven't felt this level of wonder at seeing new sites in a videogame for a long, long time. Easily trumps New Vegas, where I just got so sick of the desert.

The story and writing aren't anything to write home about, but some of the sub-quests are pretty entertaining. I'd be a little bummed out if I was into Fallout for the role-playing and story aspects, and I might just be rather forgiving because I'm a fan of the settings, but the open-world and exploration aspects are some of the best of the genre.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Is there a way to snap furniture in place? All of my furniture is slightly crooked because I can't ever get it straight. It looks absurd. Can you also zoom out when you're building? I feel like I'm so close all the time.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Bethesda still can't make a UI worth a drat, but at least whomever they've been picking up for their programming team has their poo poo together. Who would have expected item naming to support HTML tags? https://gfycat.com/SlightFarChick

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Dan Didio posted:

Those aren't complete backstories.

Roleplaying games are meant to give you options within the game to act on the stuff you 'make up in your head'. And you know a lot more than just 'has a spouse, kid' as a result of the limited choices available to you in dialogue.

You can choose wether you're angry you don't have the kid you love, or wether you're a bit more sad that you don't have the kid you love. Nothing in any of Bethesda, Obsidian or any other developer's Fallout games has been as constricting as Fallout 4 is with regards to your character, even mechanically.

And again, I felt like New Vegas was much more constricting. There are games that put you in the role of an established badass, and there are games that go for a blank slate to let you project your own character, and being a wasteland courier is awkwardly in the middle. I, personally, would never make the decisions that lead me to delivering packages in a hostile wasteland, and so it was difficult for me to put myself into the courier's blank slate. He's already an adult with an occupation.

For the male FO4 PC, at least, your occupation isn't defined (again, its likely there was a draft going, so military service was probably universal) and, more importantly, your entire life was blown away when you get frozen, and so you can write your pre-war backstory however you want, and you're a newcomer to the wasteland just like the player is, so you don't have to invent some random life that led you to deliver the lucky chip. Imagining myself having a family and kid is a lot easier than imagining myself deciding to wander the wastelands.

It's really just an opinion, but that stuff bugged me way more in New Vegas. It's a lot easier to put myself in John Fallout's shoes than the Courier's. A big part was that the other games give you a relatively sheltered existence until you get forced out into the wasteland to find the water chip or whatever -- NV's protagonist chose to wander the wasteland himself before you even step into his shoes.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Nov 17, 2015

strong bird
May 12, 2009

You're insane

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Fallout 4 could really use a Wilhelm Scream for situations like this. Maybe it can be a mod?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw6HJuKHESI

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Shnooks posted:

Is there a way to snap furniture in place? All of my furniture is slightly crooked because I can't ever get it straight. It looks absurd. Can you also zoom out when you're building? I feel like I'm so close all the time.

No

player.setscale #, default is One, changes the scale of your player model so you can be taller (or smaller) so you can look down to place things if youre big

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Phenotype posted:

And again, I felt like New Vegas was much more constricting.

I don't really care how you feel, though, I'm talking about how it's represented mechanically in the game, and New Vegas, 3, 2, 1, gave you a plethora more options than 4 does to flesh out the details of your character, because 4 A) has far more details of your character pre-written in and B) in the cases where there would be room to expand, they provide you with an incredibly limited toolset to do so.

'You can write your pre-war backstory however you want' is a meaningless reply to the fact that there are no tools to do so in the mechanics, writing or systems present in Fallout 4, or are incredibly limited when they do appear. There's a wealth of options to actually have that backstory, whatever you choose, present and represented in 1, 2, 3 an New Vegas, wether it's actual character building tools like skills, the perks, the natures or dialogue choices.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Nov 17, 2015

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

isndl posted:

Bethesda still can't make a UI worth a drat, but at least whomever they've been picking up for their programming team has their poo poo together. Who would have expected item naming to support HTML tags? https://gfycat.com/SlightFarChick

:magical:

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Phenotype posted:

It's really just an opinion, but that stuff bugged me way more in New Vegas. It's a lot easier to put myself in John Fallout's shoes than the Courier's. A big part was that the other games give you a relatively sheltered existence until you get forced out into the wasteland to find the water chip or whatever -- NV's protagonist chose to wander the wasteland himself before you even step into his shoes.
you don't have to imagine that your character wandered the wastelands, your background can literally be anything, that's the thing
even with ulysses going "it's your fault this thing happened SYMBOLS" and trying to set a background for your character you can basically go "i have literally never been there and i have no loving idea what you are talking about" and it's an acceptable choice that the game recognizes
but mostly what that guy said, the background thing is ultimately minor in comparison to that

at least the lack of reactivity lets you do incredibly silly things like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-_B9vmprNc
but it'd be more fun if it was full on deus ex style recognition for your dickery

really though, that quests get followups like that is a pretty cool thing- i always expect stuff to just end there but things spiraling out of hand is neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
The thing about this game is that the protagonist is so half assed. He is neither a full blank slate nor is he well characterized. My guy barely feels like he's a guy from the past, nor does he feel like a grieving husband/father.

• Locked thread