Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I believe that was me,
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2819334&userid=12010&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post440366027

To be honest I also bought a bunch of plastic ones that lets you open the drawer a little and then you have to push in this tab to open it the rest of the way, kinda like those more as I don't need to find the magnetic key to open the drawer. We have both in use in our kitchen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Yep, that's the one. Thanks

My sister in law has an old china cabinet in the dining room, and a toddler. She wants art supplies, but doesn't seem down with me just putting in a skeleton key cabinet lock. Neato magnetic slider seems like a cool way to go.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
No problem, hope it works out.

I refinished my workbench top, used shellac, then applied an oil/wax combo too for good measure and buffed it, no glue should stick to this one, also installed a woodworking vise, it has a built in bench dog so I guess I'll add dog holes now.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I like it, round or square dog holes? Will you be adding a shelf?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Probably round ones for simplicity's sake. Not sure what you mean by a shelf, on the bottom? If so there i want to build a cabinet with drawers you can open on both sides of the bench.

Also made something on my lathe for the first time

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I was thinking shelf on the bottom, cabinet with drawers is even better.

What sort of wood did you use for the chisel handle?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

It's some rowan wood I picked out of the firewood pile at my parents summer cottage. It's partially decomposed, so it has some interesting grain. Maybe next week I'll goto korsholm trätjänst and pick up a batch of oak offcuts.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008
This is interesting, never even considered the possibility

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5UOAnyPl0I

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

bimmian posted:

:stare:

I don't know why something like this had never occurred to me before. This would really change my workshop options -- I suddenly feel like I have all the justification I need for a nice drill press now.

e: Now someone just needs to show me how to turn a drill press into a lathe :getin:

Hubis fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 16, 2015

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008

Hubis posted:

:stare:

I don't know why something like this had never occurred to me before. This would really change my workshop options -- I suddenly feel like I have all the justification I need for a nice drill press now.

e: Now someone just needs to show me how to turn a drill press into a lathe :getin:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

bimmian posted:

Color me dubious.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Mr. Mambold posted:

Color me dubious.

What would be the main limits here? Obviously it would be a pain for a large number of boards, or boards wider than a couple of inches (although neither seem like a big obstacle for luthier work in particular). It also seems like it would be untenable for long boards, or anything with a noticeable bow/twist. I guess there's also a limit to how much you can remove in a pass, so it would only be suitable for really light duty. Since it's doing a rotating cut like that, could tear-out/swirl marks be a problem?

welp

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Hubis posted:

What would be the main limits here? Obviously it would be a pain for a large number of boards, or boards wider than a couple of inches (although neither seem like a big obstacle for luthier work in particular). It also seems like it would be untenable for long boards, or anything with a noticeable bow/twist. I guess there's also a limit to how much you can remove in a pass, so it would only be suitable for really light duty. Since it's doing a rotating cut like that, could tear-out/swirl marks be a problem?

I'd think all the above. Plus, I'm pretty sure a drill press doesn't get anywhere near the rotation speed that a joiner does. I'd be a bit more impressed if the teeth on that thing were carbide. It looks like a toy to me. Stew-Mac specialize in luthier accessories that I'm aware of- if that's all you did, it might be fine.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Went and picked up some wood today, walnut, oak, ash and arctic silver birch:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

His Divine Shadow posted:

Also made something on my lathe for the first time

When I got a lathe the first thing I did was make handles for everything.
I think every woodworker should have a small lathe even if just for handles and knobs.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Yeah it's very useful, used it to restore a knob for a stanley #5 as well, turned out real well with shellac, which I only started using a few days ago, but I love it as a finish. I have a buncha plastic handled and broken handled old chisels I will be replacing as well.

I dunno if I overpaid or not for th wood above me, 40 euros for it all. But now I have something besides construction lumber. e: the one with the big knot in it I paid less for, 1 euro.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 16, 2015

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

wormil posted:

When I got a lathe the first thing I did was make handles for everything.
I think every woodworker should have a small lathe even if just for handles and knobs.

Agreed - it is so stinking handy to be able to turn out a handle for basically anything. I like it for making handles to my blacksmithed stuff, since I don't particularly like holding the metal end- I think wood is much more comfortable due to being warmer and softer while still plenty strong.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
So a coworker who refinishes tools wants to give me his powermatic artisan table saw from the 80s. Any feelings or concerns? My husband is all concerned about the lack of riving knife but I don't see it as a big deal.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I have a 19-something-ies old as gently caress table saw with no safety features and I do fine. Count fingers before you cut, keep the blade sharp and the table clean, and don't be stupid.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Tigntink posted:

So a coworker who refinishes tools wants to give me his powermatic artisan table saw from the 80s. Any feelings or concerns? My husband is all concerned about the lack of riving knife but I don't see it as a big deal.

Your husband is absolutely right. Tell your coworker to give me, Mr. Mambold, the saw. I'm from that era and used to using tools like that, so it's not a problem.

Give you a powermatic table saw? GIVE? Those saws, hell anything powermatic back then, were the bees knees. That saw will outlive us both. Riving knife feh. It's not a big deal. Really. Be grateful, that is awesome.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
Buy a grr-ripper. Awesome table saw accessory.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

If you are going to use it, which you should, or not- take the saw.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Give me an address, I'll come pick it up.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Tigntink posted:

https://www.tru.ca/hsafety/workinglearningsafely/work/tablesaw.html

Riving knives/splitters are there to prevent wood that you shouldn't have been cutting in the first place from closing up behind the blade and causing a kick back but they will not prevent all or even the most common injuries. Best to avoid ripping green wood but the construction industry doesn't have that luxury and more and more people nowadays are self taught so riving knives are a good feature. But if You avoid ripping green wood and follow the guidelines in the link above then you'll be reasonably safe. There is inherent risk using any table saw and you cannot control every variable but you can control the position of your body. If things go wrong and you are out of the way then injury can be minimized or avoided.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Hey now, i'm extremely pro this saw. We are finally finishing out our crawl space to be a workshop. HANDS OFF. MINE. (I was looking at the entry level grizzly before this so powermatics weren't even on my radar)

I learned proper table saw safety in college and i'm very aware and careful. I'm wicked excited because the guy even made a routerlift and a custom fence!

Basically it's a greybeard who is graduating up to like the 4,000 powermatic and is excited for a young person like me to be into the working of the wood.

Here's his description:

quote:

Fence - http://vsctools.com/shop/product-category/table-saw-fence/ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaEb2aKwUtM

Rails – (Mine are aluminum) http://vsctools.com/diy-guide-rails/

Router Lift/Table extension - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFcWWbJKnyc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrRWW2X38ic

Saw – Powermatic 63 - I have the right side table and all of the original Vega fence parts if you want them. Mine is on a piece of plywood with casters for moving around. Has Rockler safety switch and all of the above items. Plus old v-belt replaced with modern link belt. Standard 10” blades. The only piece missing is the miter fence. Lots of aftermarket options. I suggest this - Incra-MITER V120

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 17, 2015

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

Tigntink posted:

I had that saw. It's pretty nice. Just add a microjig.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Hubis posted:

What would be the main limits here?

The main problem that I can see with that planer is that most drill presses fit the chuck via a friction taper. Tapers are not good with axial load so you could end up with the chuck taper backing out. I've seen it happen when people mount sanding/grinding drums in a drill press.

Would work great in a cheap milling machine though. Which isn't surprising as it's basically just a wood version of a fly cutter or face mill which are used to surface metals.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Nov 17, 2015

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Anyone here have experience making gun stocks? I am making one for a shotgun for a friend. The stock itself will not be a problem. Where I am stuck is making the front grip. I need to make a long tapered hole and I have no clue.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Off centre turning on a lathe with a drill bit? Not too sure if it would work.

How long does it need to be?

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=54864&cat=1,180,42240,53317,54864

NPR Journalizard fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Nov 19, 2015

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Frogmanv2 posted:

Off centre turning on a lathe with a drill bit? Not too sure if it would work.

How long does it need to be?

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=54864&cat=1,180,42240,53317,54864

It tapers from 1 1/8" to 1" over about a 9" run.

I drilled a 1 1/8" hole all the way through, not taking into account the taper.
Here is my gently caress up:
https://www.instagram.com/p/-P8Hv5FSFy

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

So you don't actually need a hole, you need a trench. Time to get out your chisels and gouges! :)

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

mds2 posted:

It tapers from 1 1/8" to 1" over about a 9" run.

I drilled a 1 1/8" hole all the way through, not taking into account the taper.
Here is my gently caress up:
https://www.instagram.com/p/-P8Hv5FSFy

Rounded router bit the diameter of the smallest end to hog out most of it, then either sand it down, or maybe get a dremel.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Someone else suggested drilling the 1" hole, then wrap the barrel in sandpaper and sand it to fit.

That does not sound like fun at all.

Additional to this problem, while I was making the new grip, my dog grabbed the original off my bench without me noticing and chewed it to oblivion.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Dogs knows what's up.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Got a spare electric motor around? Rig up some automatic sanding device.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Frogmanv2 posted:

Rounded router bit the diameter of the smallest end to hog out most of it, then either sand it down, or maybe get a dremel.

This, but then use a tapered shim hotglued to each side to hog the rest. The bit will have to be a bigass fluting bit, so that may be offputting.

e.

*looks left, looks right, picks up low-hanging fruit*

mds2 posted:

Additional to this problem, while I was making the new grip, my dog grabbed the original off my bench without me noticing and chewed it to oblivion.

sounds like your benchdog got loose

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

While not as elegant a solution, maybe it would be easier to use 2 pieces of wood and cut a tapered half channel in each. You could offset the wood on an angle to get the taper you need in the corner of 2 pieces, then glue them together.
It won't look as nice but if you start with a larger piece of stock and split it beforehand you could hide the seam a bit better.

keep it down up there! fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 19, 2015

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

I do have a Shapeoko 2 cnc machine. I could try to mill the groove with that, but I am not real good at CNC poo poo yet.

Destroyed grip:
https://www.instagram.com/p/-P9XJbFSHv/

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
I've seen someone tackle that problem by using a metalworking lathe and setting the taper that way. Of course this does require access to a metalworking lathe.

You could cut most of the hole on the lathe, then set up a tilted router sled to add the taper? It would require some cleanup, but less of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Using your lathe, create a sanding drum that matches the taper. Wrap in sandpaper and leave it mounted to the lathe. Drill out at smallest diameter and sand to an exact fit.